To draft a WR in the 1st round or not?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should We Draft A WR In The 1st Round

• Yes

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • I have no idea. I like potatoes

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters
I'm just happy we have another 7 games to decide, if our current group doesn't make progress then absolutely draft a WR if they are the best player where we're picking.

MFaulk107

The Realness
As of now I personally think we don't need another WR. Seems our biggest WR problem is the tedious drops that should have been catches. If from here on out our WR do worst then usual than maybe we should think about drafting, otherwise give them a little more time to progress.

I'm hopin Bailey gets out more!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't see it. Not in the first..unless someone comes on so strong that he looks like a slam dunk to make it in the NFL. As some have mentioned, we have a TON of young talent at WR. It takes time to groom these guys, and I have a lot of faith in the talent I see with these players. This could very well be the strongest position on the team next year if they continue to grow. I would think the higher picks would be better used for the OL or secondary. We are just too thin at those positions. I think the roster has filled out nicely enough that we can start drafting for depth as well as need, which just hasn't been the case around here for a LOOOONG damn time.

jap

Legend
Marqise lee, MOTHER LOVERS.

Marqise was one of my favorites entering this season. However, he has been struggling with a knee injury he suffered against Arizona State and re-aggravated against Notre Dame. His numbers thus far is only 32 receptions for 403 yards and a single TD as opposed to the mind-blowing numbers he posted last season when he won the Fred Biletnikoff Award---118 catches, for 1,721 yards and 14 TD's. He still bears watching as he has been trying to play through his injuries.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Nobody in the draft is proven.

So you draft the BPA in a position of need to strengthen the roster. Problem is they reached on Quick and now we have a 4th rounder playing our #1 role.
Exactly, I think you misunderstood me. I don't want to draft anybody in the draft at receiver. When I said spend a 1st on a proven guy, I meant on a veteran receiver who actually has had some success in the NFL. Not pin our hopes in dreams on another guy who may or may not pan out.

jap

Legend
Exactly, I think you misunderstood me. I don't want to draft anybody in the draft at receiver. When I said spend a 1st on a proven guy, I meant on a veteran receiver who actually has had some success in the NFL. Not pin our hopes in dreams on another guy who may or may not pan out.

jap

Legend

Proven NFL guys generally cost megabucks. For a team that still has holes to fill, any FA added needs to be a solid hit.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

Great post. I do think we should try to keep some veteran guys for leadership, provided they restructure their contracts.

That said, we CLEARLY should have drafted D. Hopkins rather than TA this past draft.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
9 games in, that's fair to say.

But... let's check back next year.

The point I was trying to make was that Hopkins fits the three criteria as outlined by FLV above; beat the press, catch contested balls, and read defenses. TA does not. That is why I never understood why we would draft him in the first round.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The point I was trying to make was that Hopkins fits the three criteria as outlined by FLV above; beat the press, catch contested balls, and read defenses. TA does not. That is why I never understood why we would draft him in the first round.

Because the Rams wanted to get an unique and rare athletic talent. Austin may not be a guy that will make a ton of catches with defenders draped on him but he doesn't have to. However, he beats the press with ease and thus far seems to do a nice job of reading the defense...especially for a rookie.

On top of that, he is extremely polished for a rookie at route running and has speed and cutting ability that Hopkins couldn't dream of.

There's a reason why Austin would have went at #9 if we didn't take him at #8. He's an amazing talent with great intangibles. The lack of patience is just disappointing but the pick will be more than worth it in the end.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Because the Rams wanted to get an unique and rare athletic talent. Austin may not be a guy that will make a ton of catches with defenders draped on him but he doesn't have to. However, he beats the press with ease and thus far seems to do a nice job of reading the defense...especially for a rookie.

On top of that, he is extremely polished for a rookie at route running and has speed and cutting ability that Hopkins couldn't dream of.

There's a reason why Austin would have went at #9 if we didn't take him at #8. He's an amazing talent with great intangibles. The lack of patience is just disappointing but the pick will be more than worth it in the end.

^This.

Saved me the typing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

I'm gonna draw you into a web of logic that my kids used to use on me.

Ready?

"But ... what if he's not?"

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I was a Cordarrelle Patterson fan myself going into the draft, but they didn't see the same upside I saw apparently. I like Austin, and I can see the potential, but I would prefer to have a guy with well above average athleticism who's also 6'3. It was his range that concerned me. The window gets a lot smaller with a receiver of that stature than it is for a guy like Patterson (or Pettis, or Quick). If there's another receiver like that (freaky athletic and tall), then I, personally, would draft him. But that's just me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm gonna draw you into a web of logic that my kids used to use on me.

Ready?

"But ... what if he's not?"

What if Bradford doesn't pan out?

Answer: There will be a lot of people happy they can say "I told you so". Luckily, there are few if any of them on this board.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

There isn't. Don't worry. :wink: