To draft a WR in the 1st round or not?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should We Draft A WR In The 1st Round

• Yes

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • I have no idea. I like potatoes

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
If these guys could ever learn how to catch the eff'n ball (especially in drive sustaining 3rd down sit-chee-ations) then no, not unless some one they really covet fall into their laps.

A blind man can see we drop way too many passes.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If these guys could ever learn how to catch the eff'n ball (especially in drive sustaining 3rd down sit-chee-ations) then no, not unless some one they really covet fall into their laps.

A blind man can see we drop way too many passes.
Yeah I agree, but THE GUY we traded up FOR in the first round THIS year is leading the league in drops
http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=nfl&type=receiving&rank=232
but when you LOOK at the list you see some very prominent names VERY

V3

Hall of Fame
I agree we're going to have to address CB too.

I'm not convinced it has to be first round, however. That's the beauty of the CB, there are a lot of them in the draft.

And most of them aren't good enough to start in their first year. We need a first year starter in the secondary- whether that's S or CB. We can't wait for them or it'll be just like this year. I would take one in the first round and another later on for developing.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah, but you have to factor in targets to make these stats relative.

For example; Welker is on the list. I suspect he's been targeted 2x that of Austin.
Which ......I think................makes MY point more salient.
Which once again is and was, even though you draft a guy who is tauted as a freak stud can't miss guy at WR you don't know it's the right move for a yr. or two so HOW Do you say NOW it's the "right " thing to do?
We have needs as compelling as WR IMO where the bust rate doesn't seem to be as high

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lots of good debate over this, still leaning towards no, but it is mostly because i don't see any true game changer to be taken, could be wrong of course. But right now i say no.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
We have to keep in mind our top 3 WR's in terms of explosiveness, speed and physical ability are Quick, Givens and Austin (Cook also as a hybrid) Look at the total amount of experience between the group. Rookie and 2 second year players. Point being as frustrating as they are at times, they are still kids. So unless you have a true #1 sitting in round 1 I hate to reach just to hope they are. Megatron, AJ Green, in a hearbeat. But I'm not so sure that type of talent is in rd #1 this year.

A55VA6

Legend
Sammy Watkins might end up being a star. I can see him being a #1. Worth a look in the draft. Large look.

fearsomefour

Legend
In terms of team needs (and of course a ton can change between now and May....they moved the draft to May) I expect....DT, OG, OT, CB, depth LB, developmental QB...then maybe WR. But, that is just my opinion.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Please, no more receivers... No more, we don't need anymore projects or guys we hope explode immediately. I'd rather spend a first getting a proven guy than crossing our fingers and hoping this guy is it again.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Please, no more receivers... No more, we don't need anymore projects or guys we hope explode immediately. I'd rather spend a first getting a proven guy than crossing our fingers and hoping this guy is it again.

Nobody in the draft is proven.

So you draft the BPA in a position of need to strengthen the roster. Problem is they reached on Quick and now we have a 4th rounder playing our #1 role.

jap

Legend
Nobody in the draft is proven.

So you draft the BPA in a position of need to strengthen the roster. Problem is they reached on Quick and now we have a 4th rounder playing our #1 role.

Brian Quick was a known project coming in. He wasn't drafted to be a possible #1 player right away. If the Rams didn't draft him when they did, someone else would have---his raw skills were certainly impressive enough.

We have a lot of complementary receivers now, players who are #2's, #3's, or #4's. I could see the Rams going for a top WR in the draft if he appears to be a solid #1-type in their collective minds. Torry was a solid pick for us in 1999. However, even Torry benefited from the fact that Isaac and Ricky Proehl were already here. When Torry matured, we were in the rare position of having two legitimate #1 WR's in Isaac and Torry. Torry had the better pure hands; Isaac was a perfectionist with everything: route running, catching, blocking, playing decoy, etc.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have to admit that our receivers cadre all seem to have a serious virus that will not go away. Go back to the drafts & the Rams have drafted a boatload of NINE receivers since 2008..that's 6 NFL drafts. It would seem that the Rams have not struck on a bonified starter yet. Plus we went out & purchased a receiver @ Tiffany & Company named Jared Cook. That virus is " The Dropsy Virus" . The best hands belong to Austin Pettis who is slow ...that's being kind.

1st rd. Tavon Austin
2nd rd. B.Quick- D.Avery
3rd rd. S.Bailey & A.Pettis
4th rd. C. Givens, G. Salas, M. Gilyard & K.Burton

Looks like @ the moment that the two highest rated WR's are Evans & Watkins
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1850743/sammy-watkins
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824909/mike-evans

Both could be good second first round selections types ....just depends on how this upcoming draft turns out..like who would have thought that Quinn would drop into Spags & Billy's hands??? In the off season I would make a strong suggestion in bringing in Doctor Tory Holt as a special hands coach & have him give these Ram receivers some large amounts of Shots in his known practice plan & get those receivers some serious training on catching footballs! Cuz whatever they have been doing ain't working.

I see the Rams drafting first around #5 to #8 range and would not select either of those WR's in this spot. I want the Rams going into this draft with building a pocket passer Sam Bradford a strong long lasting front wall...not saying they have to pick OL'ers with those first round picks but as each round selection arrives ....have your board set so you always looking @ OL'ers.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I think we really need to find that #1 guy ... but I don't want any Diva's drafted! Whoever it is, they have to be willing and decent down field blockers , willing to run ALL their routes... regardless if the ball is supposed to go to them and hungry to learn and improve.

fearsomefour

Legend
I have to admit that our receivers cadre all seem to have a serious virus that will not go away. Go back to the drafts & the Rams have drafted a boatload of NINE receivers since 2008..that's 6 NFL drafts. It would seem that the Rams have not struck on a bonified starter yet. Plus we went out & purchased a receiver @ Tiffany & Company named Jared Cook. That virus is " The Dropsy Virus" . The best hands belong to Austin Pettis who is slow ...that's being kind.

1st rd. Tavon Austin
2nd rd. B.Quick- D.Avery
3rd rd. S.Bailey & A.Pettis
4th rd. C. Givens, G. Salas, M. Gilyard & K.Burton

Looks like @ the moment that the two highest rated WR's are Evans & Watkins
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1850743/sammy-watkins
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824909/mike-evans

Both could be good second first round selections types ....just depends on how this upcoming draft turns out..like who would have thought that Quinn would drop into Spags & Billy's hands??? In the off season I would make a strong suggestion in bringing in Doctor Tory Holt as a special hands coach & have him give these Ram receivers some large amounts of Shots in his known practice plan & get those receivers some serious training on catching footballs! Cuz whatever they have been doing ain't working.

I see the Rams drafting first around #5 to #8 range and would not select either of those WR's in this spot. I want the Rams going into this draft with building a pocket passer Sam Bradford a strong long lasting front wall...not saying they have to pick OL'ers with those first round picks but as each round selection arrives ....have your board set so you always looking @ OL'ers.

Freaking Avery.
With Long and Barksdale at T and Wells and Barnes at C (if Barnes is resigned) and Jones sliding into one of the G spots, I dont see a first round pick going to the Oline as a priority over other things....even if Dahl is let go. Im not saying one could not make the case, but, I dont see it. I will be very disappointed if they go WR in the first round. Personally, as I have stated 100 times and will probably 100 more, I think the D is very close to being special....at least talent wise. Having a scheme that works and players that execute it is another thing (as we saw in 2012 the D is capable of being very good....so, I dont think it is the players). If the Rams are picking that high, top 8, I would still go DT first. A true, powerful, dynamic DT next to Brockers changes that whole from seven. Keeps blockers off the LBs, gets more push in the middle of the pocket.
The teams we are chasing in our division have shown they can be controlled if you can match up in man coverage and control the run game. Adding a top end DT and a quality CB are very high on that priority list. I would also use some of our limited FA resources to signing a vet CB to add depth. The Rams D with a deep and good secondary and another beast at DT that will allow the speed at LB to really shine....look out.
I could see drafting a G pretty high, second round maybe. It all depends where that second first round pick is. IF the Rams end up with the 5th pick it will interesting to see if they trade out of that spot. If they could end up with the 3rd or 4th pick (doubtful) that would be ideal. Teams will be scrambling to over compensate for a QB. Five or 6 may be a bit too low.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Quick is getting better and being used more as the season progresses. He's a bigger receiver, he's very willing to help with blocking and he's earning more playing time. Why are people writing him off when he's finally coming on?

Stedman Bailey caught his first pass. But he's a rookie and so is Tavon Austin who is this team's future #1 receiver already drafted and gaining experience right now.

That leaves Austin Pettis to be the team's veteran wide receiver in his 3rd year. So the problem with this team's receiver corps is obvious to me ... they are all young.

And the solution is to draft another young receiver? Would they really keep 6 on a run heavy team? Or cut the team's veteran in Austin Pettis?

Yuck, no thanks. If they want a now #1 wide receiver they have to do the now thing and sign a free agent. And that doesn't mean getting a guy like Cook who doesn't really fit in at receiver or tight end.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Freaking Avery.
With Long and Barksdale at T and Wells and Barnes at C (if Barnes is resigned) and Jones sliding into one of the G spots, I dont see a first round pick going to the Oline as a priority over other things....even if Dahl is let go. Im not saying one could not make the case, but, I dont see it. I will be very disappointed if they go WR in the first round. Personally, as I have stated 100 times and will probably 100 more, I think the D is very close to being special....at least talent wise. Having a scheme that works and players that execute it is another thing (as we saw in 2012 the D is capable of being very good....so, I dont think it is the players). If the Rams are picking that high, top 8, I would still go DT first. A true, powerful, dynamic DT next to Brockers changes that whole from seven. Keeps blockers off the LBs, gets more push in the middle of the pocket.
The teams we are chasing in our division have shown they can be controlled if you can match up in man coverage and control the run game. Adding a top end DT and a quality CB are very high on that priority list. I would also use some of our limited FA resources to signing a vet CB to add depth. The Rams D with a deep and good secondary and another beast at DT that will allow the speed at LB to really shine....look out.
I could see drafting a G pretty high, second round maybe. It all depends where that second first round pick is. IF the Rams end up with the 5th pick it will interesting to see if they trade out of that spot. If they could end up with the 3rd or 4th pick (doubtful) that would be ideal. Teams will be scrambling to over compensate for a QB. Five or 6 may be a bit too low.
If they could trade down and still draft Louis Nix, not only would he be an immediate impact on the line, he would dynamically change how teams have to face our defense, both in the pass rush and run stopping. One player, three lineman and 3 linebackers.

I think that a free safety like Clinton-Dix would also dynamically help the entire secondary, though I admit that it would take time to have an impact. But I also think they need to draft a corner too, which is why I say if they could trade down and draft for all three needs on defense, this team would be set.