To draft a WR in the 1st round or not?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should We Draft A WR In The 1st Round

• Yes

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • I have no idea. I like potatoes

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Question is pretty simple.

On one hand, i want to see our wr's develop and see what we have in them.

-Givens has shown he can stretch the field and help take the some pressure off the shorter route for other players. Would like more deep passes to him like last year though.
-Quick has shown flashes of why the Rams brass praised him so much but isn't quite there, and no one knows if he ever will(i think/hope he will IMO).
-Austin would be having a pretty decent year if not for all those damn penalties and if Schotty could tailor some better plays for him besides a quick out behind the LOS with one blocker at most that he usually calls for him. Need to go deeper with him like in the Panthers game. Even with him struggling with the NFL he would of had a pretty good year.
-Pettis has matured nicely and although he will never be a #1 or #2, he can be clutch on 3rd down and in the red zone.
-Bailey, well not much to say about him except he has done nicely on special teams, besides that hasn't been on the field really.
-Cook, i am putting him in the wr category because that is what he really is. So far it is not looking like a good signing. I think all of us were loving him after the first game, but since then hasn't done squat to justify his contract.

So what was the point of listing all the wr's? It was to show that at this point in time, we do not have a true #1. Now before the season we knew this and most of us didn't mind it because in a spread offense with lots of speed, you don't really need a true #1, and that is what this offense was hyped up to be, a spread offense with lots of speed all over. That didn't work out. Now we have gone back to a more conservative style offense that has worked out better, especially with Zac Stacy beasting it up. In this type of offense i think a true #1 is more needed. I could be wrong of course.

Of course we have our opinions on all of this, as for me, i am still on the fence about it. I really don't want to draft a wr in the first. But it might be needed. But also are there any prospect worth a 1st round choice? Mike Evans is basically Cook when it comes to playing wr, or a better version of Quick at this point. Watkins is basically a more explosive Givens(field stretcher). Marquise Lee reminds me of Holt with not as good of hands. There isn't a Megatron, a Green or a Julio Jones in this draft IMO. I like all 3, but i like Lee the most. Drop issues can be fixed. Though we drop it enough that i worry about him. Still to early to determine which WR is right for us. Now i am rambling.

What is your opinion on this? I am tired of being on the fence on this subject. Right now i am leaning towards not drafting one.

Just curious what everyones thoughts are on this matter.

*I know some find it to early to start thinking about the draft, but this isn't because of us having a losing record or anything of the sort. Even if we were 7-0, I'd still be looking at prospects, it's just something i like to do and read into. I love the draft.

lockdnram21

Legend
im thinking if they dont show some consistency by the end of yar we gotta draft sammy watkins or marquis lee

jjab360

Legend
If we do, it'll be Mike Evans. He has a special blend of size, athleticism, ball skills, and body control that makes him an elite talent that we don't have anything close to on this team right now. I notice a lot of people downgrading him because of his speed, but he's just as fast as Fitzgerald or A.J. Green, and they both went top 4. Watkins and Lee are both explosive talents, but they don't provide anything that Givens can't become, imo.

I give up on Quick, he's just so physically awkward, has terrible ball skills, and doesn't have any kind of physical presence, I don't see him becoming anything.

A55VA6

Legend
Idk I kind of just like potatoes.

If there's an AJ Green, Julio Jones, kind of receiver in the draft, Grab him no hesitation. But idk. Find a much better Brian Quick.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I'm a Clemson homer but looking at the division I can only see Mike Evans. You gotta have size to match their size. Plus, he can catch anything and everything.

Although, I wouldn't mind Evans AND Watkins and use Givens as a pure deep threat.

Givens certainly appears to have regressed. Hopefully he gets out of this funk. I know he's had a safety over the top a lot but he has had some bad drops when he does get a chance to score.

V3

Hall of Fame
If there's a WR that warrants a high pick, take him. I don't think we have a true #1 WR on this roster and I don't think any will develop into that role. Quick doesn't seem to have it up stairs and he's afraid of people getting around him when he's catching. And there's no problem with having too many big WR's. Mizzou's WR corp is fun to watch and they're all big. I remember Snead saying something to the effect of not needing a big bodied WR because we already have one (hinting at Quick). That was before last year's draft. I don't agree with that.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If there is an AJ Green or Larry Fitzgerald type of WR there, then it would be a no brainer. But are there any guys that good in this draft?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
No, we need to keep the guy who gets the ball TO the WR's upright and healthy,but hey our staff will know what to do, they're doin a heluva good job now IMO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm of the opinion that you always add a receiver (or two) every year. I'm not a talent evaluator, and even the best whiff on wide receivers quite often because a really low percentage of them make it. And because that's the case, you have to keep trying until you strike gold. I know this offense is set up to get everyone involved and not necessarily *rely* on a #1 type, but that's because they don't have any other options. If a guy like Andre Johnson or Torry Holt was on this team right now, he'd be getting the lion's share of looks and receptions. No doubt in my mind.

So my answer (and opinion) is yes. You draft another one.

V3

Hall of Fame
No, we need to keep the guy who gets the ball TO the WR's upright and healthy,but hey our staff will know what to do, they're doin a heluva good job now IMO.

It only took them 5 weeks to figure out our offensive scheme wasn't working and only 8 weeks to figure out that they needed to go back to what they did last year on defense- stuff that fans and analysts were seeing very early on. Not to mention all the regression for many of the players. Sorry, I definitely do not agree that this staff is doing a heluva good job.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The single biggest impact would be made by a stud WR1. You take one if he's staring you in the face.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
It all depends on how our draft situation plays out. Say we trade down again to late in the 1st and the value is too good to pass up then maybe.

For a non hypothetical answer though right now I say NO. Build the line if you go offense.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
The single biggest impact would be made by a stud WR1. You take one if he's staring you in the face.

Do you or anyone else here see that guy in the draft this year though? I'm not that into the draft yet. Is that can't miss guy there? I don't think Watkins or Lee fit the bill of a true #1.

Who's the top projected wideouts this year?

jjab360

Legend
Do you or anyone else here see that guy in the draft this year though? I'm not that into the draft yet. Is that can't miss guy there? I don't think Watkins or Lee fit the bill of a true #1.

Who's the top projected wideouts this year?
This guy is special:
evans.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not unless they deem a guy to be an elite prospect and he is the best value on the board.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Isn't Evans slow? I like the size, but without speed he would likely struggle.

It would depend on who was there.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
No.

Build the oline.

If a WR is staring you in the face, then yeah... But I don't see it.

jjab360

Legend
Isn't Evans slow? I like the size, but without speed he would likely struggle.

It would depend on who was there.
It's not his greatest asset, but it's not at all the weakness some try to make it out to be. Average speed hasn't held Fitzgerald, Green, Boldin, D. Bryant, B. Marshall, A. Jeffery, etc. back so far in the NFL.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Not unless they deem a guy to be an elite prospect and he is the best value on the board.
YUP ,if the value fits the pick is the only way,but FWIW I think our wrs are the second most talented unit on the team