Tim Barnes why? I don't get the love?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
M3RTRoQ.png

I knew someone would whip this out

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not his daddy. And thanks for the personal attack. Lotta class.

But I'm also not one of these people that gauge a players ability based on what some teams are willing to over pay for. Atlanta will not get the return on the investment on an aging player in the backside of his career. (See Scott Wells).

People like you seem to think anything less than a ProBowl caliber player at every position is somehow reason for failure. Wake up. It's not realistic.

Tim Barnes is/was a major improvement over the level of play this team has been forced to deal with for a very long time. And he's only going to get better. I also know that his positional coach was very instrumental in bringing him back. So I'll defer to the real experts here rather than a message board wannabe GM

I honesty wonder what some of you are looking at when you watch the game.
Not only that but the center position is probably the hardest O-line position to judge as he is having to snap the ball and then engage. Without decent help from the guard, any center is going to get blown up.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000610694/Can-t-Miss-Play-Gurley-hurdle

So here is the weakness Barnes has got to improve on.First you have give him credit for getting his hips turned
and sealing the hole and also for the hustle down field to recover fumble.Watch the initial push of the nose.He pushes
Barnes so far back that he almost blows up the play by tripping up the wing-back (Jared Cook).This happen too much
last year.He has got to get stronger at the point of attack.and no the fact that he has to snap the ball shouldn't be an excuse.
Check GRob staying low and kicking out

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not his daddy. And thanks for the personal attack. Lotta class.

But I'm also not one of these people that gauge a players ability based on what some teams are willing to over pay for. Atlanta will not get the return on the investment on an aging player in the backside of his career. (See Scott Wells).

People like you seem to think anything less than a ProBowl caliber player at every position is somehow reason for failure. Wake up. It's not realistic.

Tim Barnes is/was a major improvement over the level of play this team has been forced to deal with for a very long time. And he's only going to get better. I also know that his positional coach was very instrumental in bringing him back. So I'll defer to the real experts here rather than a message board wannabe GM

I honesty wonder what some of you are looking at when you watch the game.

For someone who is telling me not to make assumptions............you make a hell of a lot of assumptions.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Really man? Not a good approach. And not to defend @CoachO - I'm sure he can do just fine on his own but he was simply refuting that there was NO outside interest in Barnes. I find it interesting that Barnes was pursued by the team that ended up with Mack. Do you really think they would have taken both? Or is it even remotely possible they saw good upside in Barnes, he would have been an upgrade to what they had, and if they could have landed him, it would have freed up money to sign elsewhere while giving them a pretty decent center.

We don't really know - do we? But what we can assume is that other teams were looking at him for a reason. He has very little tape thus far so OF COURSE no one is going to offer him bank based on late season improvement and potential upside unless he looked like a sure fire top level center. The jury is still out.

Once again, I was not ever saying I didn't think it was a good signing. I didn't even say that Barnes was worse than the previous centers the team had. I just think that some here overrate him. If he was so good then why pursue Mack? It has nothing to do with money or what Mack is worth to a cap. The Rams were interested in Mack. Plain and simple. Hell, I didn't even want them to sign Mack. Barnes is on a modest contract. Sure teams may have had interest but who offered him? Teams show interest to a lot of players but when they find out what they are asking they dont offer. Coach0 is just better off not to twist my statements and cherry pick my posts. It is getting old.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not really arguing against that notion. But do you think that was their intent? No one but them really knows but I have my doubts.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Once again, I was not ever saying I didn't think it was a good signing. I didn't even say that Barnes was worse than the previous centers the team had. I just think that some here overrate him. If he was so good then why pursue Mack? It has nothing to do with money or what Mack is worth to a cap. The Rams were interested in Mack. Plain and simple. Hell, I didn't even want them to sign Mack. Barnes is on a modest contract. Sure teams may have had interest but who offered him? Teams show interest to a lot of players but when they find out what they are asking they dont offer. Coach0 is just better off not to twist my statements and cherry pick my posts. It is getting old.
Yeah. Cuz I do it so often. I haven't been on this site much at all lately. But this is one case where you don't know what you're talking about. And misquoting PFF was a lame attempt to further your agenda.

Then you spend the rest of the thread tap dancing and backpedaling about how your only point was that the position can and should be upgraded. Can you say wannabe GM?

Bottom line you just don't like being called out for your bs l. You say things like its gospel and I call you on it when I know you're wrong.

I know that he had plenty of interest from at least four other teams and all i was trying to do was refute your high and mighty speculation.

This is what you always do. Some of us are privy to information that you obviously aren't. Take that for what it's worth. But when you pop off with Inaccurate comments. I'm gonna "cherry pick" away.

I'm done.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Whadda ya mean you don't get the love?
He's dreamy!

2b9du1E.jpg

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Sorry friends, I skipped many pages. Just want to say PFF's #1 Center was Joe Berger I believe. A career backup/journeyman type filling in for the injured John Sullivan at the ripe old age of 33.

Smell kinda funny to you? Did you see how many times Teddy Bridgewater kissed the turf this year? News flash: it was a lot. PFF has some interesting takes, and I don't disagree with everything they say, but maybe -just maybe, Center isn't a position they pay a whole lot of attention to or have a great way of grading yet.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Interesting thread.....As a "former" Barnes hater I feel the need to comment. The first time I really watched Tim Barnes play was an end of season game versus Seattle..2 years ago...God awful....Mebane and Bryant ate him for lunch...I think Clemons was the QB...It didn't surprise me to see how he played Seattle this year...I'm sure personal vendettas mean a bunch in such a physical game Red Bryant being gone probably helped. My point, Barnes has improved. Hell, just on those fumble recoveries he deserves a contract...

My hope is we draft someone better than Rhaney....to learn from Tim. But like a lot of vets in here...I bet Rhaney gets bigger and better too....

Any thread that brings out Coach0 is a treat fellas....

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Turn on the Tampa game. That is the one I rewatched. Barnes gets blown by off the snap frequently. He fails to engage and lock onto defenders at any level. He struggles to find people to block at the second level, and he is easily unbalanced. It wasn't pretty. Why did he get those two fumbles in Seattle? Because he runs downfield but doesn't never seems to find guys to block. So he was downfield and near the ball and not tied up with anyone.

I don't want to bash the guy. Seems like a lovable dude. But it is what it is. There is no candy coating it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just had a thought, a question for all out-their who may not want an "Older" O-Lineman. How Old was Jackie Slater when he retired from Football after "20 Years w/ the Rams!!"? I think I made my point!;):D
Older than Jason Brown, Jake Long and a few other free agent singings the Rams have made in the last 6 years or so that failed miserably. Jackie Slater is the exception, Jake Long and Brown are the rule. Skater was a freak of nature, Alex Mack is yet another 30+ oline man coming off his two worst years hitting free agency. We've seen this script enough that the warnings should be obvious. Mack might turn it around for one year but will deteriorate fast afterwards if he even manages one good year.

Also for the record just because I don't want to pay Mack doesn't mean I don't want to upgrade the position.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
For all of you wanting a veteran center, Barnes is our veteran center. He may never become strong enough to be a top center but he is smart enough to play the position and you can't throw ten+million at every position.
And if you are average or better at every position you will be in the playoffs, if not the Superbowl, every year.