Tim Barnes why? I don't get the love?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
C....... for Brown. If both are healthy and the competition is fair I would suspect he would have a hard time beating out Saffold. I just want an open competition, that is all.

I am fine with open competition with the exception of ONE.....Having Saffold planned to be your starter is a no go for me! .... That plan is a sure bet to return to play "musical chairs" for starting Ram OL'ers & replants the seeds of another season inconstant OL play due to OL'er moving in & out & in & out all ongoing because Saffold will NEVER remain a healthy starter. :rant:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I am fine with open competition with the exception of ONE.....Having Saffold planned to be your starter is a no go for me! .... That plan is a sure bet to return to play "musical chairs" for starting Ram OL'ers & replants the seeds of another season inconstant OL play due to OL'er moving in & out & in & out all ongoing because Saffold will NEVER remain a healthy starter. :rant:

I concur I truly believe they kept Saffold for his versatility and that might be his greatest asset. Keep him one more year ensure the kids get another season under their belt and all's well that ends well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I concur I truly believe they kept Saffold for his versatility and that might be his greatest asset. Keep him one more year ensure the kids get another season under their belt and all's well that ends well.
Exactly! If your 2016 plan is to have more than just 2 starting OL'ers make it through the season like 2015in the same position.

Rams had one healthy OL survive the entire 2014 seasons however it should be brought out that but 2 others survived but were very Unhealthy they continued to remain in the lineup & they stunk it up (Wells & Saffold). In 2013 Rams had only one OL'er remain in the line up that was Chris Williams but he started @ two different posts too.

Boudreau should have enough talent pieces here now to know where they play their bests at. What he lacks is a ton of experience here but with Barnes, Reynolds & Saffold he is finally developing some younger talent. There should be no reason to play a OL'er out of his naturally best position any longer. The important valuable WILD CARD is Rodger Saffold best to utilize this wild card in the best possible way. Make him the the all important #6 OL'er where he can use his experience as a starter in four Ram OL positions to help the younger less experienced OL'ers get better! When one is having an off game or gets gimpy insert Saffold & get through the game!

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Maybe, maybe not.
However he is on the roster. If he is on the roster the best guys should be playing.
It makes no sense to start a guy who is not as good because the better player may get injured.

fearsomefour

Legend
This may well be the plan and it makes sense. His cost is low enough to justify it.
However, the best two Gs should start. If that is Saffold Reynolds, great, if it is two young guys, great, if it is a mix all the better.
My main thing is with Brown....he was hyped and now coming off of an injury after showing no real readiness to be a starter.
Time will tell.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This may well be the plan and it makes sense. His cost is low enough to justify it.
However, the best two Gs should start. If that is Saffold Reynolds, great, if it is two young guys, great, if it is a mix all the better.
My main thing is with Brown....he was hyped and now coming off of an injury after showing no real readiness to be a starter.
Time will tell.

The thing is - the best starters in training camp might not be the best by midway through the season, if the young players are in the lineup getting experience. Yeah, if the expected performance of the vet overall is much better, he should be played, but if the advantage is experience, and not that large of an advantage, give the kids time to gel.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Watching some Rams games on the all-22, and wanted to revisit this.

He fails to engage and lock onto defenders at any level. He struggles to find people to block at the second level, and he is easily unbalanced. It wasn't pretty. Why did he get those two fumbles in Seattle? Because he runs downfield but doesn't never seems to find guys to block. So he was downfield and near the ball and not tied up with anyone.

I don't want to bash the guy. Seems like a lovable dude. But it is what it is. There is no candy coating it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUJ_Ie4kTF8

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Watch the first half of the Tampa Bay game. Showing a play here or there does not prove anything. By that play he looks like one of the best centers in the game.

I think you just wanted to use the Joe Pesci clip.:LOL:

As noted before, Barnes got a game ball for the Tampa game, as well as the Seattle game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As noted before, Barnes got a game ball for the Tampa game, as well as the Seattle game.

I understand that. You said it before. Watch the first half of that game. He is either missing blocks, being passed by before he is set or wandering out in space. Why he would get a game ball for that is beyond me. Maybe he played better in the second half. However, what I saw was more consistent with what he did most of the season. The Seattle game balls were more for his two fumble recoveries btw. Fisher said as much when he gave it to him.

Since people are rehashing things.......if Barnes is so great, then why did the Rams have interest in Mack? For shits and giggles?

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I'll say it again. Coaches gave him a game ball and they don't do that for missing blocks, being passed by etc. those are given because they're earned. I watched the game, I was there and didn't see what you're seeing and obviously the coaches didn't either. In this case I'll take the coaches judgement vs yours. :LOL:

As for the rehashing, one reason they may have had interest in Mack, (never seen that confirmed by anyone from the Rams, mostly speculation) is that Barnes was a pending FA and could have been moving on, it would only have been prudent to be exploring other options. If I'm a GM, I'd have interest in every player available, doesn't mean I'm trying to sign them, just exploring all options and doing my due diligence as a GM.

Nobody here has ever said Barnes was going to the Pro Bowl, many of us feel he's a good solid player who made good progress thru his first year as a starter working with a constantly shifting line and change of coordinators. This line given more time together with a full off-season & training camp has a chance to be a really good unit.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000610694/Can-t-Miss-Play-Gurley-hurdle

So here is the weakness Barnes has got to improve on.First you have give him credit for getting his hips turned
and sealing the hole and also for the hustle down field to recover fumble.Watch the initial push of the nose.He pushes
Barnes so far back that he almost blows up the play by tripping up the wing-back (Jared Cook).This happen too much
last year.He has got to get stronger at the point of attack.and no the fact that he has to snap the ball shouldn't be an excuse.
Check GRob staying low and kicking out
I know this is about Barnes

But no critic about Gurley hurdling? That is a bad habit that leads to fumbles and injuries. Looks awesome, gets lots of ohh and awwws but he needs to keep his feet on the ground.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Watch the first half of the Tampa Bay game. Showing a play here or there does not prove anything. By that play he looks like one of the best centers in the game.
Just wanted to show that he wasn't wandering around out there not finding anyone to block. Which is what you suggested happened. I didn't even think about it until I was watching some all-22 and stumbled across that play. No biggie.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
I know this is about Barnes

But no critic about Gurley hurdling? That is a bad habit that leads to fumbles and injuries. Looks awesome, gets lots of ohh and awwws but he needs to keep his feet on the ground.

Scares me everytime he does it.A helmet to the knee and it will be a bad day for all of us.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Scares me everytime he does it.A helmet to the knee and it will be a bad day for all of us.

Agree...Not a fan of it because of the very real chance of serious injury...Agree that it's a thrill to watch...The possible risk far outweighs the possible reward IMO...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I watched the game, I was there and didn't see what you're seeing and obviously the coaches didn't either. In this case I'll take the coaches judgement vs yours. :LOL:

So, I guess I am making it up.

I want Barnes to be great. I really do, but he isn't. I want every player on the team to be great, but they aren't. Maybe Barnes got that game ball because he did something great in the second half. Maybe the coaches are looking for chances to give him a game ball to build his confidence.

But since you completely discredit my opinion of Barnes and only want to listen to hear what the coaches say, then why are you on a forum reading posters comments? My comments are already meaningless to you right? You obviously are convinced that I am unable to look at a game and evaluate a players play. Not sure how you know that since you refuse to rewatch the first half of the game that I did and specifically look at one player. And instead just insist that I was wrong.

In the end it doesn't matter though, the Rams have their center and hopefully he improves his play.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just wanted to show that he wasn't wandering around out there not finding anyone to block. Which is what you suggested happened. I didn't even think about it until I was watching some all-22 and stumbled across that play. No biggie.

Well, he doesn't make a bad play every time. And I only reviewed one half of one game where he was probably dealing with McCoy much of the time. But, most of those plays did not have good results.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Barnes just saw your avatar, and walked away mumbling..."back at 'ya".:rolllaugh:

I guess my question would be "why the hate"? He's serviceable, cheap and has only had one year starting, and on the Rams' list of problems, is way down on the list.
(Plus, I have it on good authority he calls his Mom once a week).

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
You're entitled to your opinion, that's what makes this board fun. Obviously I don't agree with your observations. Sorry, not going back to watch one player play in a game last season. I don't have access to that, nor the time. Not discounting your opinion but you seem to be developing a vendetta. I only wanted to inform he got a game ball, meaning the coaches disagree with your observations and I believe they're more qualified than you.

I'm out on this thread. Going nowhere fast. We will just have to disagree on this one.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You're entitled to your opinion, that's what makes this board fun. Obviously I don't agree with your observations. Sorry, not going back to watch one player play in a game last season. I don't have access to that, nor the time. Not discounting your opinion but you seem to be developing a vendetta. I only wanted to inform he got a game ball, meaning the coaches disagree with your observations and I believe they're more qualified than you.

I'm out on this thread. Going nowhere fast. We will just have to disagree on this one.

Not sure why, or who you think I have a vendetta against. Just decided to go back and focus on just Barnes to see if all of the adulation on this thread was warranted. In the half of a game I watched it certainly wasn't. I did this because unless I focus on just one player I only get a cursory feel for how he played. So posts on here had me doubting my cursory viewpoint. Other people just decided to dig it back up and try to dispel what I saw with my own eyes. Can't change my opinion on that is all.