Tim Barnes why? I don't get the love?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
STRONG Center class in the draft. They will draft one. The two positions that I clearly wonder about (like most everyone) is QB and WR. They NEED to get better at both positions or they are wasting this defense. So with 6 picks in this draft I think we are looking at QB,WR,TE,PK, OC, DL/LB. There is still need for depth at CB and LB, expect heavy UDFA action filling more than one of these positions

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think the Rams oline is set.

Unless someone they love really falls into their lap, this draft is going other places.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
STRONG Center class in the draft. They will draft one. The two positions that I clearly wonder about (like most everyone) is QB and WR. They NEED to get better at both positions or they are wasting this defense. So with 6 picks in this draft I think we are looking at QB,WR,TE,PK, OC, DL/LB. There is still need for depth at CB and LB, expect heavy UDFA action filling more than one of these positions

OK now that we have our 2015 16 game starter back in tow we can discuss the back situation. Demetrius Rhaney was drafted by this Ram org back in 2014. DR will be entering his third Training Camp & pre season now. Last yr the Org said DR was in starting center contention with Barnes & Jones. Jones lost big & was sent packing after several seasons & DR lost out to Barnes and beat out Jones for the back up roster position.

There was little need for DR to play center in 2015 due to Tim Barnes ability to remain on the field through some small injury non events. But DR did get some play in @ OG & it was NOT good. His lack of size was evident. Thus in my concern over DR being a good top center reserve in which for the Rams to invest in & groom for the future starter:thinking:. Based on the last two yrs of evidence I have some big concerns here with DR being worth the time investments.:bueller:
Based on the WWC OL'ers signed up for 2016 the :admin: has some of the same concerns. Brain Folkerts was active for 2 games in 2015 & was active for 26 games with Carolina. He was a UDFA who has earned the right to be called a pure WWC by having signed with five different pro teams one being the San Jose SaberCats. Then there's Eric Kush who was active for 7 games last season for the Rams. Kush is entering his 4th season & was a KC 6th rd choice for them in 2013. Kush has 10 NFL games under his belt & one start for KC & TB. David Arkin was a 4th rd pick for Dallas back in 2011 is primarily a OLG with some ability to play center. So it's not like there is no one besides DR to contend for the back up spot to center.

Summary here is the Rams could go with what they have if need be just like last season & survive, but none of the four non starting centers mentioned above would appear to be worthy of any future major future time investments & it would be a very good ideal to draft a pure center for the future of this Rams team behind Tim Barnes.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
For all of you wanting a veteran center, Barnes is our veteran center. He may never become strong enough to be a top center but he is smart enough to play the position and you can't throw ten+million at every position.
And if you are average or better at every position you will be in the playoffs, if not the Superbowl, every year.

I agree completely. Just a few here that were overflowing his ability. Made me want to go back and see if I was missing something.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I agree completely. Just a few here that were overflowing his ability. Made me want to go back and see if I was missing something.
I don't know how high his ceiling will be but he is still growing as a NFL center. He could be very good or remain just adequate, either way center is not a glaring need right now. Of course, i don't know if they have an adequate backup to Barnes right now.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Barnes needs to strengthen his lower body. He needs an off-season in the weightroom and with the strength and conditioning coaches. with a full season under his belt, hopefully he will be better at the center position. He got pushed back into the pocket way too often last season. I sure hope they draft a center..

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Barnes needs to strengthen his lower body. He needs an off-season in the weightroom and with the strength and conditioning coaches. with a full season under his belt, hopefully he will be better at the center position. He got pushed back into the pocket way too often last season.
Maybe, but I didn't see that happen a bunch of times. Sure it happened on occasion, but that doesn't make him unique. He's actually very good at reach blocks, picking up the defender on the pulling guard in zone, and you don't often see defenders crossing his face. He could use a little polish with his footwork, but I don't know that he's actually weak in the lower body. Could be a leverage problem or communication/assignment issues when flanked by lesser guards.

We could obviously upgrade, but I (personally) don't view him as a liability. Hell, move the pocket if it's clear he can't beat big-on-big.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Turn on the Tampa game. That is the one I rewatched. Barnes gets blown by off the snap frequently. He fails to engage and lock onto defenders at any level. He struggles to find people to block at the second level, and he is easily unbalanced. It wasn't pretty. Why did he get those two fumbles in Seattle? Because he runs downfield but doesn't never seems to find guys to block. So he was downfield and near the ball and not tied up with anyone.

I don't want to bash the guy. Seems like a lovable dude. But it is what it is. There is no candy coating it.

Hate to keep this going, but did you know Barnes received a game ball for his work in this game? Apparently coaches were seeing things you weren't.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why did he get those two fumbles in Seattle? Because he runs downfield but doesn't never seems to find guys to block. So he was downfield and near the ball and not tied up with anyone.
I don't buy that. Nor did I see it. In order for him to be engaged with someone that far down field, he would have to be ahead of the ball carrier. Dude's good, but he's not THAT good.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Barnes needs to strengthen his lower body. He needs an off-season in the weightroom and with the strength and conditioning coaches. with a full season under his belt, hopefully he will be better at the center position. He got pushed back into the pocket way too often last season. I sure hope they draft a center..

Hate to keep this going, but did you know Barnes received a game ball for his work in this game? Apparently coaches were seeing things you weren't.

re watch the game. I admittedly only got through the first half and Tampa does have a very good DT. I thought he got the game ball for the Seahawks game and recovering two fumbles btw.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't know how high his ceiling will be but he is still growing as a NFL center. He could be very good or remain just adequate, either way center is not a glaring need right now. Of course, i don't know if they have an adequate backup to Barnes right now.

I guess that what I think I am seeing is not the coachable stuff. I may be wrong but it seems to be speed,strength, balance, vision, anticipation, quickness. I guess some of that can be improved in time, but reports have been that the coaches wanted him to get stronger for a few years now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't buy that. Nor did I see it. In order for him to be engaged with someone that far down field, he would have to be ahead of the ball carrier. Dude's good, but he's not THAT good.

Not really. When a lineman is blocking downfield he is often passed by the ball carrier and still involved in the block. Your talking about a few seconds of sustained blocking when a back is free. As long as you aren't holding you keep engaged to prevent a run down.

Maybe he can still develop his craft. Some do that but everyone has physical limitations of some sort or another. If the Rams didn't consider Mack despite his age and declining play, then I would say they are peferctly happy with what they have. And maybe it is what I said above. Maybe they just wanted a vet in the middle so the two rookie guards could play together and develop and keep Saffold and Reynolds as backups. Maybe they would even have released Saffold if they signed Mack.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If the 10 shoots you down, it's better to go home with the 6 than with nobody at all.

Zactly. Here's a graphical presentation to back that up too!

If this one says no...

Bar-Refaeli_drinking-wine.jpg

Get you one of these:

3FatPub.jpg

You know, now that I think of it, that one on the left looks a little bit like Barnes...

fearsomefour

Legend
I saw way more of this out of Brown. Maybe it is not a strength thing (particularly with Brown), but, learning about leverage....and the quickness of the NFL D lineman. Their ability to quickly get an angle, a step, use leverage ect.....there is a pretty steep learning curve. There were times when Brown was completely out matched last year. I want there to be real competition at G this preseason....Saffold, Reynolds, Wichmann, Brown....I do not want Brown to be handed a starters spot because the coaches have hyped him before. That is the unsettled part of the line to me, G. Brown is the 4th G in my opinion based on his play last year.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I am not the best trench watcher, so I defer to some of you guys, but essentially agree with @fearsomefour in that there should be competition on the line. Who is hungry?

We need continuity though. I don't know what will emerge, but I am really getting tired of "One yard, and a cloud of dust."

I'm hoping Gurley doesn't have to go it alone next year. He'll be beat up by 27 at this pace. Open some freaking holes.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I saw way more of this out of Brown. Maybe it is not a strength thing (particularly with Brown), but, learning about leverage....and the quickness of the NFL D lineman. Their ability to quickly get an angle, a step, use leverage ect.....there is a pretty steep learning curve. There were times when Brown was completely out matched last year. I want there to be real competition at G this preseason....Saffold, Reynolds, Wichmann, Brown....I do not want Brown to be handed a starters spot because the coaches have hyped him before. That is the unsettled part of the line to me, G. Brown is the 4th G in my opinion based on his play last year.

I saw what you saw too fearsomefour but it was "One Sided". Jamon Brown has a series of issues appear when he was flipped for the second time to the RIGHT OG post. I'm under the impression that Brown who is left handed plays much better on the left side than the right. My 2 cents worth;). Bottom line here is Boudreau needs to keep Brown on that left side its that easy.

fearsomefour

Legend
I saw what you saw too fearsomefour but it was "One Sided". Jamon Brown has a series of issues appear when he was flipped for the second time to the RIGHT OG post. Bottom line I was under the impression that Brown who is left handed plays much better on the left side than the right. My 2 cents worth. Bottom line here is Boudreau needs to keep Brown on that left side.
Could be.
I remember him being over matched on both sides, it may have been less on the left side.
None of that has impact on his long term prospects of course. That jump to the NFL is a big one....any position is tough for a rookie. I still hold out high hopes for Brown. If both are healthy and the competition is fair I would suspect he would have a hard time beating out Saffold. I just want an open competition, that is all.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Continuity is VITAL for an OL to have success. The Rams OL started to gel and have success when they put Reynolds in at LG. Leave him there until GRob starts reacting at the snap instead of thinking. OL of GRob, Reynolds, Barnes, Wichmann, Havenstien have a total of five straight games together, hardly enough to say the have developed "continuity", but its a start and you could tell the difference in they're play the last couple of games. Build on it.