The Vent Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nope, I can't. But I can honestly sit here and tell you that Keenum was god awful. And that the OL suffered due to him being at QB and the gameplan of our coaches.
I agree he played shitty, but there's enough blame to parcel around without making it solely about the QB.
This is the same stuff people used to say about Bradford. "The OL sucks because Bradford sucks, blah blah blah."
I've learned to take a broader look at things over the years.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
There are many QBs on earth who would have looked just fine behind that OL. Unfortunately, Case Keenum wasn't one of them. I'll post this play again and you can explain to me how the OL caused it:
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000701761/Case-Keenum-intercepted-by-Ray-Ray-Armstrong

Oh my. We have another.
One play so you think posting one play is going to make the evaluation of a game. You're better than that jrry but you are letting your man crush on Goff blind your objectivity. Goff would have been beaten down last night at home on MNF and it would have been as bad or not worse than what we saw with Keenum.

Like I said you're full of it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yep, that's the one I referred to earlier. Bowman makes the first guy miss and then runs passed Wichman and Hav to get to Gurley in the backfield. Pathetic
I'm almost glad I didn't pony up for Game Rewind this year. Because I could literally pull over a dozen plays like that up and make a video illustrating how bad it was up front. Add to that how blanketed the coverage was on our receivers, AND how horrible some of the throws were - it's just not worth it. The offensive play-calling was the least inspiring I've seen since I've been a fan. At the very least, last year, the run game was innovative and had many different facets and nuances to it. This was just stretch runs, inside runs, and traps.

I'm not even listening to people who put this on Keenum. Sure he was bad, but Johnny U would have a hard time being good in that specific environment.

Also, Fisher doesn't call the offense. Doesn't even add input except for situational decisions.
He did, however, promote the guy calling the plays, so that's the extent of his responsibility for that mess.

Ajb44

Rookie
Name
Alex
They have to be pulling the most elaborate prank...all that talk about how new and great the passing game would be. All the cool ways we would scheme people open...and then 3 yard outs every play...???

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I agree he played crappy, but there's enough blame to parcel around without making it solely about the QB.
This is the same stuff people used to say about Bradford. "The OL sucks because Bradford sucks, blah blah blah."
I've learned to take a broader look at things over the years.

You are absolutely right. O-line was not great especially run blocking, but it was not as bad as some people make it seem. There were 5 QB hits that game and 3 came from safeties. Pressures from safeties fall on the QB, RBs, TEs and more than the OL. Blitzing Safeties all day long reflects on the QB play. In fact it was a huge adjustment the Rams also made in the second half when Gabbert was least effective and the 9ers offense racked -5 yards or something like that in the third quarter. There was one 3 and out series the rams literally sent TJ on the blitz every play and brought in Cody Davis to join him blitzing on third down.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Pressures from safeties fall on the QB, RBs, TEs and more than the OL. Blitzing Safeties all day long reflects on the QB play.
This is true. And I saw two checks from Keenum from his pre-snap reads because of it. Might have been more, but I was keying on different things throughout the game and have no way of replaying it now (I cut the cord months ago). I did notice (and this might just be me) that there were quite a few communication breakdowns pre-snap and some confusion about assignments, but I'll need someone else to verify that for me.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm almost glad I didn't pony up for Game Rewind this year. Because I could literally pull over a dozen plays like that up and make a video illustrating how bad it was up front. Add to that how blanketed the coverage was on our receivers, AND how horrible some of the throws were - it's just not worth it. The offensive play-calling was the least inspiring I've seen since I've been a fan. At the very least, last year, the run game was innovative and had many different facets and nuances to it. This was just stretch runs, inside runs, and traps.

I'm not even listening to people who put this on Keenum. Sure he was bad, but Johnny U would have a hard time being good in that specific environment.

Also, Fisher doesn't call the offense. Doesn't even add input except for situational decisions.
He did, however, promote the guy calling the plays, so that's the extent of his responsibility for that mess.
It was so ugly I couldn't even force myself to stay up for the whole thing.

I thought the first series was promising they were moving the ball well until the miss to Gurley and that dumbass bubblescreen to TA. Mixed things up, only one Gurley run and things looked different.

One of the things that has pissed me off over the last 3 or 4 years is the inability to find a weakness and exploit it. Its like none of them thinks passed the first 12 plays and what to do next.

That slant to Britt looked awesome, throw that about 15 times until they can stop it. The seam pass to Kendrick was money let's see that 3 or 4 times.

The same quick reads and moving the QB that the 9ers used would have been awesome for the Rams.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
TAVON AUSTIN - NOT A WIDE RECEIVER

now quit your high stepping down 14

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It was so ugly I couldn't even force myself to stay up for the whole thing.

I thought the first series was promising they were moving the ball well until the miss to Gurley and that dumbass bubblescreen to TA. Mixed things up, only one Gurley run and things looked different.

One of the things that has pissed me off over the last 3 or 4 years is the inability to find a weakness and exploit it. Its like none of them thinks passed the first 12 plays and what to do next.

That slant to Britt looked awesome, throw that about 15 times until they can stop it. The seam pass to Kendrick was money let's see that 3 or 4 times.

The same quick reads and moving the QB that the 9ers used would have been awesome for the Rams.
Yeah, that's why I said a while back that I have no idea what this offense is supposed to be. There are zone-read elements, some vert elements (way too few), some west-coast concepts, some misdirection plays (way too few), trips, spread, and a lot of ground chuck. But no real identity Well, that's not true. Enough people in the media have already identified it as a horizontal offense since the end of that game.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I'm not even listening to people who put this on Keenum. Sure he was bad, but Johnny U would have a hard time being good in that specific environment. (emphasis mine)

People GROSSLY underestimated how broken this scheme was...and still IS.

I don't think that's happening much anymore...

The hope that Boras would "fix" this broken scheme is thus far unrealized.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

Correction - Keenum is good and inspires confidence in all who play around him, he is in fact the Michael Jordon of QB's and will be taking us to the promise land, all in football land marvel at the Fisher regime management of Jared Goff who failed to suit up for game day and instead was able to stand around and watch Keenum baffled by the iPad for the sake of experience -- nice passes Keenum under zero duress, totally instils confidence in your blockers and your teammates

* edit - blue font needed?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

I agree completely with you on this. Worst play calling that I've seen for a whole game, since I was a fan, which is a long fucking time.

The crappy preseason offense, was in fact, our whole playbook. Vanilla, gorilla.

We were not prepared to play. We played guys that didn't play in the preseason, our offensive line was shuffled. Our defense started guys who scarcely, or didn't play at all in the preseason. That shit don't work in the NFL.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Correction - Keenum is good and inspires confidence in all who play around him, he is in fact the Michael Jordon of QB's and will be taking us to the promise land, all in football land marvel at the Fisher regime management of Jared Goff who failed to suit up for game day and instead was able to stand around and watch Keenum baffled by the iPad for the sake of experience -- nice passes Keenum under zero duress, totally instils confidence in your blockers and your teammates

* edit - blue font needed?
Yeah. K.

How about these are professional football players and not 9 year olds who hold grudges and pine for cute blondes instead of the short kid?

SAK11

Rookie
The best thing for this team in the long run is probably another 6-7 win season. The heat is already on Fisher so another year like that should [please please please] mean the end of him as coach. If this team plays above that, they'll keep Fisher on board and continue to have this awful offense, with inconsistent play from game to game while often not allowing a lot of the young talent to grow and thrive, but also a few good games against good teams to give us false hope.

Fisher is set in his ways, he hasn't adapted and evolved the way good coaches do, so we're stuck as a 7 win team. He has 6 straight seasons of 6-8 wins, including all 4 years with the Rams. He hasn't made the playoffs since 2008 and hasn't won a playoff game since 2003 [they did have a bye in 2008].
He helped take this team from the worst, most talented-less team in the league to being somewhat respectable, but he's proven that he can't get over that hump. His track record suggests that even if we did win 10 games, the next year would probably see us at 7-9 once again. There are plenty of examples, and this one has been hashed out time and time again recently, but I can't get over his handling of Goff.

Seattle signed Flynn to a big deal but chose to start Wilson right away. Winston and Newton had awful preseasons but their teams understood that those two guys were easily the most talented QBs on their rosters and could learn a lot from actually playing the games. Wentz was coming from Div 2, hardly played in the preseason, but a trade of Bradford meant that Wentz got the week 1 start for Philly. Not only does Goff not start, but it seemed like Fisher never wanted him too. He was probably thinking back to McNair and believing that that's the way to handle a young QB [even though that was 20 years ago].
I think just about every team in this league would give their 1st overall QB the week 1 start, or at the very least, do their damnedest to try to have that QB prepared and ready for week 1, but Fisher decided to go against the grain, which is an odd thing to do when you're not the trend setter here, you've been mediocre forever! Look around you, there are examples of actual good teams doing things a certain way, why not try to do the same?
We know who Keenum is. We saw it last year when he was asked to manage games for us. He won a game in Seattle while throwing for 100 yards and attempting 23 passes. We do not have the luxury of sitting our young QB behind Brett Favre. We have a run of the mill, game manager who doesn't deal well with pressure and can't throw the ball with the strength, touch, or accuracy that Goff can. Keenum will typically play better than he did last night, but he is who he is. Goff has the ability to be a difference maker. In this offense, with Fisher around, I'm not betting on him setting the world on fire, but he's the best QB on the roster, don't let some shaky preseason drives and Fisher's
mumble jumble fool you.

So yeah, that's the end of my vent, I feel much better now

Status
Not open for further replies.