The Vent Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FRO

Legend
image.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And that horseshit about wanting him to experience Monday night? Get the freak outa here, he's an NFL QB not a child going to Disneyland for the first time.
Yeah, I still can't wrap my mind around that one.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Certainly can't be any worse.
The only thing that worries me is his inability to recognize things right now.
And you and I both know that leads to injuries. But ... what the hell. Maybe he's smarter than I think.

Frankly, I'm not sure Keenum is recognizing things either. 49ers did a nice job of disguising their schemes on defense and baited Keenum into a number of incorrect reads.

I just went through 2.5 to 3 quarters using Coach's Film and it was painful to watch. I might pull some screenshots and post a thread. We'll see. There were some plays where we were just boned. 49ers had it defended, Case made the right decision, and it didn't pan out. But there were a lot of plays where Case had an opportunity and either misread the defense post-snap, predetermined his throw, or threw an inaccurate pass.

And frankly, rewatching the game, the OL was a lot better than given credit for in pass pro. There were lapses against the blitz. The backs missed at two blitzers (went to the wrong side of the formation at the snap). Don't know who that is on. Rob Havenstein made a couple mistakes with blitz pick-ups and got embarrassed by Ahmad Brooks right before half (that sack was not on Keenum).

However, there were a lot of plays where the OL gave Keenum time or picked the blitz up well enough to give him enough time to make the play, and he simply didn't make the play.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Frankly, I'm not sure Keenum is recognizing things either. 49ers did a nice job of disguising their schemes on defense and baited Keenum into a number of incorrect reads.

I just went through 2.5 to 3 quarters using Coach's Film and it was painful to watch. I might pull some screenshots and post a thread. We'll see. There were some plays where we were just boned. 49ers had it defended, Case made the right decision, and it didn't pan out. But there were a lot of plays where Case had an opportunity and either misread the defense post-snap, predetermined his throw, or threw an inaccurate pass.

And frankly, rewatching the game, the OL was a lot better than given credit for in pass pro. There were lapses against the blitz. The backs missed at two blitzers (went to the wrong side of the formation at the snap). Don't know who that is on. Rob Havenstein made a couple mistakes with blitz pick-ups and got embarrassed by Ahmad Brooks right before half (that sack was not on Keenum).

However, there were a lot of plays where the OL gave Keenum time or picked the blitz up well enough to give him enough time to make the play, and he simply didn't make the play.
I don't think you'll need to illustrate it with stills. We all saw Keenum make some poor throws and bad reads.
My gripe with the O-line is in run blocking. That stalled a lot of drives and kept us in 3rd & long quite a bit.
It also kept us from setting up play-action.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think you'll need to illustrate it with stills. We all saw Keenum make some poor throws and bad reads.
My gripe with the O-line is in run blocking. That stalled a lot of drives and kept us in 3rd & long quite a bit.
It also kept us from setting up play-action.

And the run blocking was problematic. But how much of it is linked to San Francisco stacking the box with their focus entirely on stopping the run?(because they didn't think Keenum could beat them through the air)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And the run blocking was problematic. But how much of it is linked to San Francisco stacking the box with their focus entirely on stopping the run?(because they didn't think Keenum could beat them through the air)
A little, I'm sure. But they tried to counter that on offense by setting screens and lining up in trips & spreading it out too. The whole stacking the box thing was expected. It'll happen to Goff too unless or until the OC can figure out a way to back them out of it. I'm not sold on the idea of Goff beating them through the air - again - unless or until - the OC can devise a way to scheme the receivers open AND we figure out a way to get other receivers involved. And the 2-TE sets were GROSSLY underused against those fronts from what I can remember.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I'm exhausted. Time to go to the Clam Bake Thread, it's imaginary but it still exists.
[GALLERY=media, 185]20160913_172714 by BatteringRambo posted Sep 13, 2016 at 6:28 PM[/GALLERY]

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I'm really not surprised. I'm really not all that upset. If you've been a Ram fan over the last 25 years, there's been very little to crow about. You've seen some very bad, ugly losses. This one doesn't rank anywhere near the Jet game in 2008 where we were down by 40 at the half. Or some of the other terrible losses from 2007-2011. Should we have beat the niners? Sure. But it was a road game and our defense came out flat. In the 2nd half, had we had an offense that could move the ball with a QB who could make all the throws, we might have fared better. I'll concede Havenstein might have some rust to shake off. But you can't run Gurley against 8 in the box play after play and expect him to not get pummeled. Keenum seemed late with his throws and weak armed. I don't see how Goff could have done any worse.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Maybe we telegraphed signals? Like a few years ago we did the same thing to the 49ers, because we knew if they were going to run or pass.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
It all starts up front at every level in every game.

Keenum wasn't great but neither was anyone else. They looked like a team who had not played together and they haven't which is Fishers fault. The preseason regiment sucks and has ever since he got here. They do not prepare for the start of the season and it shows every year.

Keenum, Gurley and Britt were not problems last night but the Oline allowing pressure and not run blocking well were. Seeing OGs getting knocked on their ass at Keenum's feet and LB blowing passed not one but 2 OL players to tackle Gurley for a loss is all you need to know about last nights game.

The Oline got their asses handed to them and the rest of the offense fell apart from there.

The OL is only 5 players, expecting them to block 8 defenders is unrealistic. The QB has got to get the team into a play that has a chance against the stacked box. Send someone deep for if the LBs drop into the 4 yard range, and have a slot WR or TE run an inside slant for if the LBs blitz/rush. Maybe try some PA and dump the ball right behind the LBs that come up on the fake. Throwing passes right into the teeth of the D at the LOS will not work.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Honestly I don't even know if Goff gives us any better of a chance to win... My entire beef is that he was in civilian clothes.. Had he been dressed, by the time the 4th quarter hit, when it was obvious that our offense was doing and was going to continue doing nothing, they could have put him in. We're already down 21-0, so it's not like he'd lose us the game, and that way he gets some reps in, gets some experience, his feet wet, and who knows, maybe it's a spark that leads to good things.

That's my biggest beef... I think Keenum played like crap, but we basically just wasted time with Goff.. And that horseshit about wanting him to experience Monday night? Get the freak outa here, he's an NFL QB not a child going to Disneyland for the first time.

Exactly. A good chance to get him some valuable reps with the 1's ... totally blown.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A little, I'm sure. But they tried to counter that on offense by setting screens and lining up in trips & spreading it out too. The whole stacking the box thing was expected. It'll happen to Goff too unless or until the OC can figure out a way to back them out of it. I'm not sold on the idea of Goff beating them through the air - again - unless or until - the OC can devise a way to scheme the receivers open AND we figure out a way to get other receivers involved. And the 2-TE sets were GROSSLY underused against those fronts from what I can remember.

I recall Higbee being on the field a surprising amount. He had his share of struggles. Which is to be expected of a rookie in his first start.

As for the WRs, they were open more than you expect. There were some plays where we were blanketed. But there were quite a few where Keenum made the wrong read or was late on the throw.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I recall Higbee being on the field a surprising amount. He had his share of struggles. Which is to be expected of a rookie in his first start.

As for the WRs, they were open more than you expect. There were some plays where we were blanketed. But there were quite a few where Keenum made the wrong read or was late on the throw.
Looking for feedback here, because as I said, I can't replay the game.
How many (if you had to guess) ACE sets?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking for feedback here, because as I said, I can't replay the game.
How many (if you had to guess) ACE sets?

Depends on how we define an Ace set. If you mean any single-back formation with two TEs, there were 11 plays run in the first half from that personnel grouping.(and I'm not counting plays where Harkey was in; only Higbee and Kendricks) If you mean a single-back formation with two TEs with the QB under center, there were 9 plays run in the first half from that formation.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Depends on how we define an Ace set. If you mean any single-back formation with two TEs, there were 11 plays run in the first half from that personnel grouping.(and I'm not counting plays where Harkey was in; only Higbee and Kendricks) If you mean a single-back formation with two TEs with the QB under center, there were 9 plays run in the first half from that formation.
Thanks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This thread continues to deliver. Not sure why I feel a little better every time I read it...

@-X- this is a vent thread brother, stop making sense.

For the rest of you knuckleheads, with the OL you can find poor plays in any game, and I know you guys know that. What was missing were the perfectly executed plays where the key guys in the play did their job to spring Gurley. Part of that is the whiners' front seven and part is on the OL. But you know the OL is like any other position, where they get inspired and play better when a good QB is back there with them, and there is no way they were getting inspired by Keenum's play. And some of it is probably scheme too, where the Rams did not do a good job of anticipating what the whiners would do.

But either way, this team, when something negative happens there are ten other guys who are ready to fail as well. "Oh crap, Tavon dropped that ball...!!! Welp, time for me to whiff on a block or take a big penalty!" Who in the F is going to step up and be that guy? All we have is Gurley. And the whiners know that, which is why they dumped everything in the box to check him. Everyone else knows it too. Are the Rams' offensive staff smart enough to start putting it down the field? I'm not too sure.

Oh and lastly Brown is overrated as F. The dude is supposedly some future Pro Bowl type talent due to his size and physical strength, but he gets muscled and I'm not sure he knows wtf he's doing on some plays. And I would be willing to queue up some of this game to demonstrate what I think I remember through the alcohol, but to do so would require re-watching that abortion of a game which I will not do. Please just leave Wichmann and Saffold in there as our OGs and quit effing with it, let them build their rapport and start playing as one nickel.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly I don't even know if Goff gives us any better of a chance to win... My entire beef is that he was in civilian clothes.. Had he been dressed, by the time the 4th quarter hit, when it was obvious that our offense was doing and was going to continue doing nothing, they could have put him in. We're already down 21-0, so it's not like he'd lose us the game, and that way he gets some reps in, gets some experience, his feet wet, and who knows, maybe it's a spark that leads to good things.

That's my biggest beef... I think Keenum played like crap, but we basically just wasted time with Goff.. And that horseshit about wanting him to experience Monday night? Get the freak outa here, he's an NFL QB not a child going to Disneyland for the first time.

im not one much for conpiracy theories and the like ...but i believe that because of Fisher spouting all off season that Goff will start when ready ..Case is out best chance of winning ..Even if JG were dressed to play we wouldn't have seen him.

Imagine Goff comes in leads a strong drive or two looks good itll make fish and co look even more stupid than they already did/do

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

That's what I saw also. It was a fudge all over - no doubt. But a lot of the time Keenum actually made a read to get the ball to a guy that was open but he simply didn't have the physical ability to get the ball there quickly or accurately enough. It was wobbly and slow or yards wide away from where it was supposed to be. I don't know why you wouldn't have put Mannion in at some point.

And what sense does it make to throw away a season behind this guy when you have the QBOTF in his street clothes? How can a guy with as little talent as Keenum be keeping Goff from dressing?

Status
Not open for further replies.