The Gurley "fumble" Touchback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It so close. It looks like he loses the ball and steps out at the same time. It seems impossible to tell if he is still in contact with the ball when his foot hits the ground. I don't think he is.

It's hard to tell until you look at a couple angles while going frame by frame. Gurley still is just barely touching the ball when his foot hits out. The picture above shows that. Considering that the NFL League Office is making the calls on these reviews, it's disappointing that they missed that. That's a game-changing call. We didn't lose because of that call, but we might have won because of it.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
b2N4OrM.jpg

I'm curious if they even thought to look at that or they got caught up in everything else and forgot about that. Either way seems more of a Mistake in NY and not the crew at the game so I'll give them a pass on that one

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
You can see he made contact from the end zone view. Jerry is right. They missed it. Hell.... I missed it. But what I was going to say is still relevant. Gurley has gotten use to that little inside the pylon move. Thomas knew that and I bet already had been telling teammates he would do just that. But if he had lowered that shoulder, he would have got in and plowed Thomas. At worse at the 1 and first down......

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm curious if they even thought to look at that or they got caught up in everything else and forgot about that. Either way seems more of a Mistake in NY and not the crew at the game so I'll give them a pass on that one

Yea, I think they just forgot that rule entirely. That's definitely on New York, which makes it that much more disappointing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can see he made contact from the end zone view. Jerry is right. They missed it. Hell.... I missed it. But what I was going to say is still relevant. Gurley has gotten use to that little inside the pylon move. Thomas knew that and I bet already had been telling teammates he would do just that. But if he had lowered that shoulder, he would have got in and plowed Thomas. At worse at the 1 and first down......

Yea, Gurley will learn from that. Like McVay, he got a little too cute. He's a big man. Just take on Thomas and finish the play.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's hard to tell until you look at a couple angles while going frame by frame. Gurley still is just barely touching the ball when his foot hits out. The picture above shows that. Considering that the NFL League Office is making the calls on these reviews, it's disappointing that they missed that. That's a game-changing call. We didn't lose because of that call, but we might have won because of it.
Exactly it was clear to me that he was still touching the ball when he went out should have been first and goal at the 1

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
The call was correct. But it's the dumbest rule I can think of. Why does the offense get punished and the defense gets rewarded. If it happens anywhere else on the field it's just out of bounds. I have no idea who created that rule but it should be erased forever.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Hey guys, the Rams beat themselves today. The refs or NY had nothing to do with us losing. We had every opportunity to put that game away and we came up short. Good news is we are a young motivated team. We will be fine.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The call was correct. But it's the dumbest rule I can think of. Why does the offense get punished and the defense gets rewarded. If it happens anywhere else on the field it's just out of bounds. I have no idea who created that rule but it should be erased forever.

I agree it's kind of a dumb rule, but the call wasn't correct. NY forgot an important rule in determining the right answer.

Hey guys, the Rams beat themselves today. The refs or NY had nothing to do with us losing. We had every opportunity to put that game away and we came up short. Good news is we are a young motivated team. We will be fine.

We did beat ourselves. That play didn't lose us the game. However, had they gotten it right, it might have won us the game. In a game like the one today, every point matters. A blown call likely cost us 3 to 7 points.

But I agree, we'll be okay. This loss doesn't end our season.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I agree it's kind of a dumb rule, but the call wasn't correct. NY forgot an important rule in determining the right answer.

We did beat ourselves. That play didn't lose us the game. However, had they gotten it right, it might have won us the game. In a game like the one today, every point matters. A blown call likely cost us 3 to 7 points.

But I agree, we'll be okay. This loss doesn't end our season.

Calls go for and against teams all the time. Think about it. If Seattle would have lost today they would have bitchef about some play that was blown by the refs. So I can't sit here and say the game would have been any different if that call was reversed

Ram65

Legend

I don't know how they could forget that rule. It's a basic rule. They may have not looked closely at the foot and hand as we have. Either way they blew it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Calls go for and against teams all the time. Think about it. If Seattle would have lost today they would have bitchef about some play that was blown by the refs. So I can't sit here and say the game would have been any different if that call was reversed

Blown calls suck all around, but that blown call took the ball away from us at Seattle's 1 and gave it to them at their 20. That's a huge change. In a game we lost 16-10, that call likely cost us 7.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I'm sorry.,..but it is a fucked up rule. The ball should not be able to advance the offenses progression when out of the players hand.. But it should not result in an automatic turnover. PERIOD!!!!

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I don't know how they could forget that rule. It's a basic rule. They may have not looked closely at the foot and hand as we have. Either way they blew it.

I disagree. You rarely see that rule come into play and there were other things that drew initial attention that they were focusing on so I could see why the forgot but at the same time it's their job to know all the rules and the ins and outs of them so they should have noticed it and got the call right

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Hope the NFL will reevaluate this rule during the offseason. Ruling is just flat out horseshit

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I would be good with that. Offense can't advance fumbles.