The Gurley "fumble" Touchback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Just rotten luck. Everything was just a bit off today. This touchback, gz missing easy fg, Watkins giving up on a play that was a potential td, goff's lob to Gurley that was intercepted, kupp dropping the game wining td. Seeing one of those a game is bad but seeing all of them in one game, it wasn't meant to be.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale

Just rotten luck. Everything was just a bit off today. This touchback, gz missing easy fg, Watkins giving up on a play that was a potential td, goff's lob to Gurley that was intercepted, kupp dropping the game wining td. Seeing one of those a game is bad but seeing all of them in one game, it wasn't meant to be.

Well then, at least we got that all out of our system!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't see that.
In conclusive way.
In fairness I couldn't really say the other way.
Ball was out and it hit the pylon.

There's a picture, my friend. It's somewhere in this thread.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I wasn't able to watch the game, but I thought the whole pylon counted as the end zone.

Announcers always make a big deal out of saying that the pylon counts as the end zone even though it's out of bounds, every time somebody does one of those diving, miss-everything-but-the-pylon, touchdowns.
The pylon is in the endzone however I think Gurley's foot was out of bounds before the ball is released.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

When watching it live i thought they were gonna call it a touchback. From the side it looks like he was out a half yard from the end zone but from head on you can clearly see a gap between his hand and the ball when his foot touches the the sideline. Then the ball hits the pylon.

3 inches higher they would have placed the ball a half yard out from the end zone. So unlucky it hit the top of the pylon.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

When watching it live i thought they were gonna call it a touchback. From the side it looks like he was out a half yard from the end zone but from head on you can clearly see a gap between his hand and the ball when his foot touches the the sideline. Then the ball hits the pylon.

3 inches higher they would have placed the ball a half yard out from the end zone. So unlucky it hit the top of the pylon.

b2N4OrM.jpg

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You have to look at the video from the head on shot. It appears there's a gap there when he his foot comes down on the paint.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You have to look at the video from the head on shot. It appears there's a gap there when he his foot comes down on the paint.

I've looked at all the angles. Check the 2:21 to 2:24 angle in the video here:
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000858488/Thomas-makes-nifty-play-to-turn-would-be-Gurley-TD-into-fumble

You can see Gurley's foot hit with the ball still touching his fingers. The picture shows that. I looked at all the other angles, and none show anything different.

In fact, if you look at the head-on shot, you see that the ball didn't pop out until Gurley's hand closed. Look at the picture I posted. It shows Gurley's foot down with his hand still open.

Last edited:

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

That's a different scenario. With Gurley fumbling and it hitting the side of the pylon and going out of bounds and he was the last to touch it it should go out at the spot of the fumble (so the 1 yard line). But to give the defense the ball when they never had any kind of possession is stupid, IMO>

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I'm not sure how I would change the rule but just ideas popping into my head because the rule has always bothered me.
If the offense loses possession and it goes out of bounds in the endzone the defense in my opinion should not be rewarded with automatic possession ball on the twenty where else does that occur on the field you can make it so the offense retains possession.... place the ball at the one or if people think that is unfair because players will intentionally bat the ball out by kicking it if they can't fall on it for the td etc on a fumble which happens plenty of times in between the endzones make it so when the offensive player bats it out intentionally he is penalized. The rule basically should be broken down to an intentional bat out by offense is a penalty obviously if the player can't fall on it for a td they will bat it out or try and kick it out etc which would require the change in possession because it was intentional sort of like a delay of game when the puck is put in the stands in hockey intentionally...but on a routine fumble that goes out make it so the offense retains possession place the ball at the one or to make it fair place it at the twenty with no change of possession. If a team drives 95 yds to lose points like that it's silly honestly. Forced fumbles reg fumble etc happen all over the field and any a time the ball is ushered out of bounds intentionally by the offense to retain possession and they do. Endzones rule should be looked at.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
TG got cute with it and cost the team 6.
He puts that in his left hand as he should have, this isn't even an issue.
Just a bad game... flush it and move on.

STLRam

UDFA
If Gurley was a fatass and didn't run as fast as he did and fumbled at the 1, that's all good.

But because Gurley is a beast and got ahead of defenders and had the ball knocked out that hit the pylon, punish the team for being so bad.

It's a garbage rule. Gurley had the ball knocked out before he stepped out of bounds, OK. That shouldn't be the debate like many of you are doing in this thread. The rule is attorcious and should have been changed years ago. That's what needs to change.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Gurley was a fatass and didn't run as fast as he did and fumbled at the 1, that's all good.

But because Gurley is a beast and got ahead of defenders and had the ball knocked out that hit the pylon, punish the team for being so bad.

It's a garbage rule. Gurley had the ball knocked out before he stepped out of bounds, OK. That shouldn't be the debate like many of you are doing in this thread. The rule is attorcious and should have been changed years ago. That's what needs to change.

That's not the debate. The vast majority of us (if not all) agree that the ball was loose before he stepped out. The discussion is that Gurley touched the ball after he stepped out before it hit the pylon. There's quite a bit of evidence that shows that happened. If it did, according to NFL rules, the ball is dead at that spot.

The rule is dumb. We should change the rules so that the offense can't advance any fumble (unless the same player recovers it) and fumbles out of the end-zone go back to where the offensive player fumbled it. That would be fair to everyone.

Sgt. Ram

the present moment is all you will ever have
I thought he stepped out of bounds so the play should have been dead at that point, I believe he still had the ball in his hand, anyone else see it that way?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Didn't see that.
In conclusive way.
In fairness I couldn't really say the other way.
Ball was out and it hit the pylon.

That's how I viewed as well, Guley lost control of the ball before he was out of bounce and the ball then hit the pylon as soon as it happened I knew it was going to be a touch back. Whether it was the correct call or not is debatable, but I knew it was going to be ruled a touch back and keep in mind the overruled the original call as well.