The Gurley "fumble" Touchback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think jrry is right i Saw a play (a Green Bay game last week I believe ) where there was a kick off and the ball hit the ground and stayed still ... the KR .. ran out of bounds laid down and touched the ball ... they got the penalty for the kick out of bounds

View: https://youtu.be/zdw3Xj__eKA

There it is So surely the same rule count ...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The chain of events was funny in retrospect.

Great run goes in for the td. Yes.

Replay, ah well 1st and goal at the half yard mark.

Head on replay, oh no it's gonna be a touchback. Fuck.

My son is starting to wake up in the morning and watch the games with me. He's learning early the life of a rams fan. Still good times. Nice having someone in the room with you that you can talk to during the game. The gdt is not to my liking.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Still dont think refs screwed us. Dont matter. We lost. Could have won many other times and they screwed the pooch. crap happens. Learn from it and move on. Time to focus on Jags.

They called a key holding on Brown towards the end. Seattle OLine hooked Donald around the neck several times and held his pads, yet not a single holding on Seattle. They missed a big PI at the end too. The Seattle DB began tackling the receiver before the ball arrived.

These happened when killing drives were most crucial.

Psycho_X

Legend
I think jrry is right i Saw a play (a Green Bay game last week I believe ) where there was a kick off and the ball hit the ground and stayed still ... the KR .. ran out of bounds laid down and touched the ball ... they got the penalty for the kick out of bounds

View: https://youtu.be/zdw3Xj__eKA

There it is So surely the same rule count ...

That play was from last season but it is a stupid wrinkle in the kickoff rule.

And the touchback rule is even worse. I could see it being a rule if the ball goes out the back of the endzone between the back two pylons or touching those two pylons. But having a ball bounce off one of the front two pylons and be given to the other team? That's just dumb shit. I find myself pissed off at the rules and refs every week a lot more every year.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2017-nfl-rulebook/

NFL Rulebook, Section 21, Article 3:

ARTICLE 3. BALL OUT OF BOUNDS
Item 1: Ball in Player Possession. A ball that is in player possession is out of bounds when the runner is out of bounds, or when the ball touches a boundary line or anything that is on or outside such line, except another player or an official.

Item 2: Loose Ball. A loose ball is out of bounds when it touches a boundary line or anything that is on or outside such line, including a player, an official, or a pylon.

ARTICLE 4. OUT-OF-BOUNDS SPOT
Item 1. Loose Ball. If a Loose Ball touches anything on or outside a boundary line, the Out-of-Bounds Spot is the forward point of the ball when the ball crosses the sideline.

He Clearly touches the ball while stepping on the sideline before the ball touches the pylon. Absolute blown call. Bad enough if an official on the field/under the hood makes that mistake, but absolutely unacceptable if that is missed in NY.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Again, I hate that Seattle wins from calls like this. How many years will they get away with unbelievably questionable calls (remember the "interception" they had against GB a few years ago? Yeah ok..) that somehow always go their way?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What I'm wondering is even if Gurley didn't have complete control of the ball, he was touching it after he stepped out of bounds before it hit the pylon. Isn't the ball considered dead when a player who is out of bounds touches it?
I think you have this correct counselor....

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Looking at some other replays, and hearing more on the ruling, I believe the refs got this one WRONG. Todd stepped out of bounds with his hand still touching the ball. These are the germane facts to give the ball to the Rams. First and goal at the 1 yard line. Sigh.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
When I was coaching hockey, I used to tell my players over and over again that the refs are going to screw up. It's going to happen. You can either allow them to screw up by giving them opportunities to screw up, or, you can minimize those opportunities. Don't give the refs the chance to have an impact on the outcome of the game.

The root cause of this whole thread is Gurley dropping the damn ball. If he practices ball security, like you know darn well the coaches preach, this thread doesn't exist. Unfortunately, it was one, of many, mistakes that the Rams could not overcome. Refs shmefs, the Rams are responsible for the outcome.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So close. This call could have gone either way.
Which is why the replay shouldn't have overturned the call, was inconclusive.
Had they called fumble on the field I could see why it wasnt overturned.

I think we are going to get some sort of an apology from the NFL, I truly believe they made the wrong call

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
And it looked like he was still touching the ball when his foot step out of bounds that rule is garbage and so is not calling that PI at the end of the game when Kupp got sandwiched
This is exactly the way I saw both of these Plays!!

I sure hope this rule, that cost us a possible TD at the beginning of the game, is visited and changed in the NFL meetings this Off-Season!!

Psycho_X

Legend
I didn't realize the touching ball/out of bounds part of the rule. If so that is truly bullshit that they'd overturn a call on the field like that with such wishy washy evidence. I thought it was once he lost control. Well great, now I'm even more pissed about this lol.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Gurley blew it the refs got it right. The pilon is the end zone. He lost control of the ball before the foot stepped out.
In watching the reply, I thought it was clear, Gurley stepped out of bounds, then he was hit on the arm knocking the Ball loose, then it hit the pylon! I've watched it several times, and that's the way I see it!!

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Which is why the replay shouldn't have overturned the call, was inconclusive.
Had they called fumble on the field I could see why it wasnt overturned.

I think we are going to get some sort of an apology from the NFL, I truly believe they made the wrong call
I agree it was the wrong call, and that an apology is in order. However, the TD call still would be overturned, its just that it should have been called out of bounds, Rams ball.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
The refs were so focused on the TD they weren't thinking about a fumble out of bounds... or maybe they were and got it wrong. Either way a bad call, as whenhis foot was out, he had contact with the ball. Therefore the ball is out of bounds at the 1/2 yard line.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
In watching the reply, I thought it was clear, Gurley stepped out of bounds, then he was hit on the arm knocking the Ball loose, then it hwith the it the pylon! I've watched it several times, and that's the way I see it!!
Not the way I saw it, but o well. The fact is Gurley was careless with the ball and left it open to the refs discretion. His bad.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Not the way I saw it, but o well. The fact is Gurley was careless with the ball and left it open to the refs discretion. His bad.
So he wasn't careless with the ball. How did it get knocked out of his hand? If he had dove for the goal line it's a touchdown. No ref decision or at least we have the ball at the goal line.

Ram65

Legend
I think the rule is fine. The object for the offense is to get the ball pass the goal line secured by a player. The object for the defense is to stop the offense from getting the ball past the goal line. Had the ball not gone out of bounds the offense still had a chance to recover it. The defense didn't get a chance to recover the fumble and should not be penalized by giving the offense the ball back. The defense was rewarded for a good play while the offense was penalized for a bad play.

The refs missed the fact that Gurley was still in contact with the ball while his foot was out of bounds.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I think this one play deflated the Rams... had it gone the other way I think it would have been a blow out. Hopefully it reminds the Rams to focus. Loss of focus lost this game. The turnovers, fumbles, and quitting on routes and dropping passes. All plays where a player lost focus.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
A bit late to the party on this one, but I didn't get the chance to watch the game live due to Canadian thanksgiving.

Absolutely brutal call as mentioned by several posters. Couldn't believe it when it happened. Gurley had the ball and was out of bounds. The play is over. That's it. The end. How more simple and intuitive could it be? Why was everyone overthinking it? Seattle clearly didn't touch the ball before it went out of bounds... so there was nothing there to even analyze. As soon as I saw the refs taking so long to review the play I knew it was bad news, with the refs no doubt putting their heads together to cook up some dubious rule interpretation to screw the Rams. Sure enough, that's exactly what happened.

This screw up by the refs cost us the game. We would have won otherwise. Not that we deserved to win anyway. Not with that many errors and turnovers. Seattle was handing us the W on a silver platter and we didn't even want it. I'll leave it at that because this isn't the vent thread.