The Gurley "fumble" Touchback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With this TD, we would have blown out the Hawks. Everything changed after it, especially how McVay used Gurley afterwards...(time to learn some things McVay). I think Gurley's knee was down at the same time the ball flew loose...But let's say it was fumbled.

1. It hit the outside of the pylon, and bounced outside of the endzone. So now we can expect when a FG hits the upright and bounces outside, it's now a Field Goal?

2. This is the worst possible rule imaginable. How can the defense be awarded this way when they didn't touch the fumbled ball before going out of bounds? This was a game changer in a low scoring game.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With this TD, we would have blown out the Hawks. Everything changed after it, especially how McVay used Gurley afterwards...(time to learn some things McVay). I think Gurley's knee was down at the same time the ball flew loose...But let's say it was fumbled.

1. It hit the outside of the pylon, and bounced outside of the endzone. So now we can expect when a FG hits the upright and bounces outside, it's now a Field Goal?

2. This is the worst possible rule imaginable. How can the defense be awarded this way when they didn't touch the fumbled ball before going out of bounds? This was a game changer in a low scoring game.
And it looked like he was still touching the ball when his foot step out of bounds that rule is garbage and so is not calling that PI at the end of the game when Kupp got sandwiched

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As far as I know, only touching the inside of the pylon counts as being in the end zone. The other 3 sides should be out of bounds.

How does the ball hitting an item out of bounds, and not beyond the plane count as fumbling out of the end zone?

I get why fumbling out of the end zone is a touchback. I do not get why the edge of the pylon against the field of play counts as in the end zone.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Keep seeing people saying it wasn't a fumble and I'm not sure what they saw. He clearly started losing the ball before stepping out and the ball hit pylon which is all you need for it to be considered in the end zone. The only way that's not a touchback is if it was indisputable but again it clearly was. Really the only thing to be upset about is Gurley not diving

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Gurley blew it the refs got it right. The pilon is the end zone. He lost control of the ball before the foot stepped out.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
How about the touchdown that Gram caught after he push off on Johnson. You want to tell me that's not offensive interference.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
so is not calling that PI at the end of the game when Kupp got sandwiched
Defender had as much right to that spot as Kupp did. Bad on McVay to call the same exact route for Kupp on almost consecutive plays.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
It was the right call sadly. Gurley should of just tucked the ball and bull rushed as far as he could get. Refs didnt screw us on that play, Thomas making a great play against Gurley going easy screwed us.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Keep seeing people saying it wasn't a fumble and I'm not sure what they saw. He clearly started losing the ball before stepping out and the ball hit pylon which is all you need for it to be considered in the end zone. The only way that's not a touchback is if it was indisputable but again it clearly was. Really the only thing to be upset about is Gurley not diving
If so it's the worst fukking rule in football.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was the right call sadly. Gurley should of just tucked the ball and bull rushed as far as he could get. Refs didnt screw us on that play, Thomas making a great play against Gurley going easy screwed us.
I don’t think Gurley was going easy I think he got greedy. He will definitely learn from that Earl Thomas is a all pro

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can play carelessly against bad teams . Ball in wrong hand and sticking out like a loaf of bread was a game changer .

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I wasn't able to watch the game, but I thought the whole pylon counted as the end zone.

Announcers always make a big deal out of saying that the pylon counts as the end zone even though it's out of bounds, every time somebody does one of those diving, miss-everything-but-the-pylon, touchdowns.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I mean it works both ways. If he had possession all the way through and the ball hit pylon before stepping out it's a td. The issue is he lost possession which is the rules fault

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I don’t think Gurley was going easy I think he got greedy. He will definitely learn from that Earl Thomas is a all pro
Thats what I meant mainly. He was like the guys who let go of the ball before the goal line cause they werent paying attention to the surroundings. Should have seen Thomas, seemed to only be looking at the end zone though. Hope he learns from it too. If he does, at worst he is stopped/pushed out short of TD and then pounds it in on next play. Live and learn.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A team drives all the way to the goal line, but then a fumble goes out of bounds and the defense doesn't touch it, but then they get to rip off that drive. They get to steal a chance at 7 points on the half yard line..Sorry, thats so crappy I can't cuss enough to express it.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I always thought the ball had to cross inside the pylon? Faulk would always do that leap over the goal line through the end zone.