Tellin ya'all right now...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

The thing that scares me most about a Watkins selection is that the team would try to go back to being passing and abandon the running game / strong defense attack that seems to be working well.

I'm not so worried about that - I mean of course they'd throw more with Bradford over Clemens, but I think it'd be more like the offense we saw week 6 - 8, not weeks 1-4. Its schottenheimer, dude runs the ball everywhere he goes lol

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm not so worried about that - I mean of course they'd throw more with Bradford over Clemens, but I think it'd be more like the offense we saw week 6 - 8, not weeks 1-4. Its schottenheimer, dude runs the ball everywhere he goes lol

When he's forced too. Jets fans got on him in New York when he would forget to run the ball, too. Hopefully, Fisher would keep a leach on him.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
The thing that scares me most about a Watkins selection is that the team would probably try to go back toward more of a passing offense and abandon the running game / strong defense gameplan that seems to be working well.

I think they learned the downfall of that weeks 1-4 this year....I don't see Fisher being that blind to his own mistakes.

Alan

Legend
I'm not in love with the new game plan either. Considering SB is a much better passer I'd prefer a happy medium between the two.

jap

Legend
Are you guys kidding? With Sam back behind center and Zac trucking away at tailback, play action becomes standard feature. With receivers with good to elite quicks like Tavon, Sted, Quick, Jared, Givens, Pettis, a number of guys are join to be open. All Sam has to get great at is quickly join through his progressions and nailing the best option.

I keep imagining that Sam is watching this Rams offense and laughing like a mad scientist to himself over what he can do when he's running the show once more. If Isaiah ever collects himself in the backfield, he may be the best choice when they spread the offense out, with his hands and elusiveness.

iced

When he's forced too. Jets fans got on him in New York when he would forget to run the ball, too. Hopefully, Fisher would keep a leach on him.

When he's forced too? I don't know about that. This is the son of Marty ball we're talking about here - who also had top rushing offenses when also with the Jets and I believe (off of memory) were almost always one of the top rushing attempt teams. If not top 5 then top 10.

Lets not forget his QB was also mark sanchez too...talk about loading the box

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The thing that scares me most about a Watkins selection is that the team would probably try to go back toward more of a passing offense and abandon the running game / strong defense gameplan that seems to be working well.

The drafting of Watkins would allow the Rams offense to play it ANY WAY THEY WANT. They would put ANY defense in a bind on how to defend them.

How are you going to stack the box with Watkins, Austin, Cook on the field?

Watkins evens out the field, and he gives both Givens and Quick a chance to play against #2 cb's since both are critically over matched vs teams #1.

The hands of this kid do not come around often folks and for those in the crowd of "we'll draft a wr in the mid rounds.." that would be a wasted pick, we've got all the mid round-type mediocre wr's needed.

Tavon is out Sproles/Bush-toye player and Bailey imo is the second best wr on the current roster, with Pettis the next most trusted and useful wr on the team.

No it's Watkins or no sense drafting a wr in my opinion.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I like Watkins but I just don't think WR is a position of need nor do I feel like he will be available once they trade out of that first pick. I don't see Long being ready by the beginning of the season and Bradford might be just getting ready. The offense may start out with KC at QB the first few weeks which would mean the same thing we have been seeing over the last 9 weeks.

OL has got to be a high priority. What will free agency bring? Is Saffold going to be a Ram? Where is Jones in his progression?

Another position that is a higher priority is DB, another CB for sure and Safety could be in order. I can see a CB coming in the first round before a OL and with Boudreau I see him coaching up someone faster making the need for an immediate impact play in the secondary even more important.

How much better is Watkins than Marquis Lee? Will he make that transition to the offense and beable to learn it quick enough to make a difference? Will they have to nurse him along? Another WR is just not a priority for the Rams in 2014.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like Watkins but I just don't think WR is a position of need nor do I feel like he will be available once they trade out of that first pick. I don't see Long being ready by the beginning of the season and Bradford might be just getting ready. The offense may start out with KC at QB the first few weeks which would mean the same thing we have been seeing over the last 9 weeks.

OL has got to be a high priority. What will free agency bring? Is Saffold going to be a Ram? Where is Jones in his progression?

Another position that is a higher priority is DB, another CB for sure and Safety could be in order. I can see a CB coming in the first round before a OL and with Boudreau I see him coaching up someone faster making the need for an immediate impact play in the secondary even more important.

How much better is Watkins than Marquis Lee? Will he make that transition to the offense and beable to learn it quick enough to make a difference? Will they have to nurse him along? Another WR is just not a priority for the Rams in 2014.

The gap between Watkins and Evans, who is the #2 wr, is huge and will grow further once the combine and interviews start. Lee is too injury riddled and more of a one trick pony that we already have (Givens).

Please don't misconstrue this offense as they were shut down and embarrassed at SF and at Arizona and I expect the same tomorrow at Seattle because our run game CAN and HAS been shut down. If you want to be great you need balance and that starts with a #1 wr at this point.

iced

let's all not forget what corners are in this division..

there isn't a receiver on our roster that's going to give Patrick Peterson and Sherman fits...

Memphis Ram

Legend
When he's forced too? I don't know about that. This is the son of Marty ball we're talking about here - who also had top rushing offenses when also with the Jets and I believe (off of memory) were almost always one of the top rushing attempt teams. If not top 5 then top 10.

Lets not forget his QB was also mark sanchez too...talk about loading the box

Yes. Forced. I read quite a bit about him when the Rams hired him. The ball control game plan was Rex Ryan's. Not Schottenhiemer. And he would sometime deviate from it. Remember didn't he start off with Martz?

Memphis Ram

Legend
The drafting of Watkins would allow the Rams offense to play it ANY WAY THEY WANT. They would put ANY defense in a bind on how to defend them.

How are you going to stack the box with Watkins, Austin, Cook on the field?

Press coverage.

BTW, while no one want to hear it, it could be that the WR that probably best fits what Fisher wants is Evans. A big physical target, who can block for the running game.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

I respectfully disagree here.

Although your point has a lot of merit, we have seen how much more effective our passing game becomes when we give Stacy his touches. We have also seen what happens when really good defenses, ARZ and SF, target our running game and force us to pass. The results were shockingly surprprising. No receiver could step up and deliver when we needed them the most. This is why we need Watkins.

Bailey+Austin+Watkins = A very balanced attack.

Quick/Givens+Austin+Bailey = More of the same. (Just not good enough.)

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Please don't misconstrue this offense as they were shut down and embarrassed at SF and at Arizona and I expect the same tomorrow at Seattle because our run game CAN and HAS been shut down. If you want to be great you need balance and that starts with a #1 wr at this point.

They also had KC running the offense not Sam Bradford.

As for the gap between the two players you are welcome to your opinion but I just don't see it. They are different players and since when is Lee injury prone? He took over at SC last year when there was supposed to be an NFL ready #1 already there. There are no guarantees on players coming out of college only potential who knows who will step up and how they fit where they are on the board when a team selects.

It is a crap shoot and they don't need a WR as badly as other positions.

I believe football begins in the trenches your Oline has to be able to keep the QB protected before the WRs matter.

A55VA6

Legend
Evans is 6-5 and uses his size very well. I don't think he has great speed but with his size it's not too big of a factor. I wouldn't mind having him at all.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I respectfully disagree here.

Although your point has a lot of merit, we have seen how much more effective our passing game becomes when we give Stacy his touches. We have also seen what happens when really good defenses, ARZ and SF, target our running game and force us to pass. The results were shockingly surprprising. No receiver could step up and deliver when we needed them the most. This is why we need Watkins.

With Kellen Clemens at QB. A QB whose accuracy or lack thereof beyond 10 yards is somewhat embarrassing.

Spending a 1st round pick at WR two years in a row and that after using a 2nd round pick on one the year before doesn't sound like the game plan for putting together a run first attack offense.

Last edited by a moderator:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is a great debate! :cheese:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
With Kellen Clemens at QB. A QB whose accuracy or lack thereof beyond 10 yards is somewhat embarrassing.

Spending a 1st round pick at WR two years in a row and that after using a 2nd round pick on one the year before doesn't sound like the game plan for putting together a run first attack offense.

OK, you speak of a run first offense which basically refers back to the OL. If we resign Saffold then we have a good tro of T's. Then we have Barnes, Smith, Williams, and Jones to duke it out for the interior spots. I could argue that Mathews would be a wasted pick if Long and Saffold are back next year at the start of the season. A consistent threat on the outside is just as pressing as a new T, maybe more. Fisher already said he believes Long will be back in time for the start of the season next year.

None the less, I fully expect a trade down. If we lose Watkins in the process the so be it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
OK, you speak of a run first offense which basically refers back to the OL. If we resign Saffold then we have a good tro of T's. Then we have Barnes, Smith, Williams, and Jones to duke it out for the interior spots. I could argue that Mathews would be a wasted pick if Long and Saffold are back next year at the start of the season. A consistent threat on the outside is just as pressing as a new T, maybe more. Fisher already said he believes Long will be back in time for the start of the season next year.

None the less, I fully expect a trade down. If we lose Watkins in the process the so be it.

IF they re-sign Saffold. That's the key. I have my doubts. And both Smith and Williams are free agents, too. Matthews? He could be the team's starting LG until they were ready to move on from Long.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I've liked Watkins for a while, but I think the Rams already have enough youth at receiver. If the team does anything to the position, I want them to get a veteran. Not someone that will break the bank, just a reliable target that won't take all year to learn the playbook and has already been in the league a number of years.