Tellin ya'all right now...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll take Mike Evans if we're going WR.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The hands of this kid(Watkins) do not come around often folks

They come around every single year. His teammate, Hopkins, had slightly better hands. If we're talking hands...Mike Evans has better and more unique catching ability than Watkins. Evans is like Alshon, Fitz, A.J. Green, etc. in how strong his hands are and how unbelievable he is at attacking the ball.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
The gap between Watkins and Evans, who is the #2 wr, is huge and will grow further once the combine and interviews start. Lee is too injury riddled and more of a one trick pony that we already have (Givens).

Please don't misconstrue this offense as they were shut down and embarrassed at SF and at Arizona and I expect the same tomorrow at Seattle because our run game CAN and HAS been shut down. If you want to be great you need balance and that starts with a #1 wr at this point.
I can see being a big fan of Watkins as the arguable number 1 but the assessment of Lee is off in my opinion

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
IF they re-sign Saffold. That's the key. I have my doubts. And both Smith and Williams are free agents, too. Matthews? He could be the team's starting LG until they were ready to move on from Long.

I bet he'd be one heck of a LG, for sure. And he could play LT, of course, if Jake goes down. So I'm not opposed to Mathews at all. I guess I'm just dieing to see the return of the high flying Rams with an amazing power run game. Some may deem Watkins as a luxury pick but I think he's a necessity when we play the Cards and Niners because of their rush defenses. They will stop the run and the whole offense again if we don't make them look over their shoulders at our WR's. I think it's a big gamble if we play the "wait and see" game with the WO's we have. Just me. If we do gamble and wait and see then I certainly hope my worries are put to rest and we win that bet.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
They come around every single year. His teammate, Hopkins, had slightly better hands. If we're talking hands...Mike Evans has better and more unique catching ability than Watkins. Evans is like Alshon, Fitz, A.J. Green, etc. in how strong his hands are and how unbelievable he is at attacking the ball.

Evans is like an Aquan Boldin. Watkins is like a Larry Fitz. Both worthy of first rounds picks but Sammy will go ahead of Evans, no doubt.

I'd rather have Fitz, myself.

iced

I bet he'd be one heck of a LG, for sure. And he could play LT, of course, if Jake goes down. So I'm not opposed to Mathews at all. I guess I'm just dieing to see the return of the high flying Rams with an amazing power run game. Some may deem Watkins as a luxury pick but I think he's a necessity when we play the Cards and Niners because of their rush defenses. They will stop the run and the whole offense again if we don't make them look over their shoulders at our WR's. I think it's a big gamble if we play the "wait and see" game with the WO's we have. Just me. If we do gamble and wait and see then I certainly hope my worries are put to rest and we win that bet.

I think Watkins is huge but for different reasons against the hawks, cards, and niners - their corners. They have elite corners; we need an elite receiver who can actually line up and win those battles...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Evans is like an Aquan Boldin. Watkins is like a Larry Fitz. Both worthy of first rounds picks but Sammy will go ahead of Evans, no doubt.

I'd rather have Fitz, myself.

Watkins is not at all like Fitzgerald, Evans is more like Fitzgerald than Watkins is. From my observations, Watkins is Andre "Bad Moon" Rison while Evans is Alshon Jeffery.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Watkins is not at all like Fitzgerald, Evans is more like Fitzgerald than Watkins is. From my observations, Watkins is Andre "Bad Moon" Rison while Evans is Alshon Jeffery.

Evans isn't as quick as Larry Fitz off the line. I see the point, though.

Watkins is more fluent than Rison.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Evans isn't as quick as Larry Fitz off the line. I see the point, though.

Watkins is more fluent than Rison.

Rison was known for his fluidity and speed...especially his run after catch skills(elusiveness).

Fitz isn't and hasn't ever been quick off the line. Evans like Jeffery are cut from the same cloth as Fitz. And that's why I love Evans. His ball-skills are outstanding and he makes unbelievable catches look routine.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And hell, I'm not trying to take a shot at Watkins. I think a lot of him. In most draft classes, he'd be my #1 WR. He'd have been my #1 WR last year over Tavon. Guy has a ton of ability. But that's how highly I think of Mike Evans. He's one of those guys that when he's got single coverage, he's not covered. Doesn't matter how tightly the CB has him guarded, Evans is just too big, too strong, too physical and has too much body control. His hands and strength at the catch point are unreal. It's like what Alshon Jeffery has been doing this year, he's been making catches week after week despite being well covered.

Evans offers that. And he's got underrated speed to boot.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
And hell, I'm not trying to take a shot at Watkins. I think a lot of him. In most draft classes, he'd be my #1 WR. He'd have been my #1 WR last year over Tavon. Guy has a ton of ability. But that's how highly I think of Mike Evans. He's one of those guys that when he's got single coverage, he's not covered. Doesn't matter how tightly the CB has him guarded, Evans is just too big, too strong, too physical and has too much body control. His hands and strength at the catch point are unreal. It's like what Alshon Jeffery has been doing this year, he's been making catches week after week despite being well covered.

Evans offers that. And he's got underrated speed to boot.

Yes, and he's suppose to be better than Jeffery. Looks like a good blocker, too. I guess I'd be happy with either of them. Hopefully they aren't both gone if we trade down.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The talent in this draft is looking better and better.

Bridgewater just put himself in Houston with his final college performance. The Texans won't win today after watching Teddy. He is going #1 overall.

The Rams will likely have their pick of anyone else or a trade down if there's a willing partner.

Superb first round talent at OT, WR, LB, and Clowney. We can grab at least 2 players at those positions in the first round. And suddenly, the Rams are loaded with top tier talent across the board.

The first round of this draft looks a lot better than 2013. It looks better at every position we need except Safety.

I really want one of those LBs. Barr or Van Noy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Bridgewater just put himself in Houston with his final college performance. The Texans won't win today after watching Teddy. He is going #1 overall.

The Rams will likely have their pick of anyone else or a trade down if there's a willing partner.

Superb first round talent at OT, WR, LB, and Clowney. We can grab at least 2 players at those positions in the first round. And suddenly, the Rams are loaded with top tier talent across the board.

The first round of this draft looks a lot better than 2013. It looks better at every position we need except Safety.

I really want one of those LBs. Barr or Van Noy.

Eh, I'm not huge on either in our defense. I like Yawin Smallwood more than both for our scheme...and he can likely be had in the late 2nd to 3rd.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can see being a big fan of Watkins as the arguable number 1 but the assessment of Lee is off in my opinion

Let me add a quote from a poster on another board that I respect in these matters, he's an SC allum and apologist, and he has major connections within the Rams organization. Here are his comments on both Watkins and Lee that he posted last evening:

"OK, I'm sold on Sammy Watkins....
...tracks the deep ball very well, explodes through the ball. Attacks balls like their his. Plays bigger than his size, with great hands and speed.

He's a football player, not just a wr. Can lower his head in traffic and run over defenders. You don't have to create gimmick plays for this kid, just get him the ball and let him work.

Sinks really well in his cuts and explodes out of them.

I saw him run a lot of the stop routes (as some of you call them) that we run, but the difference is he was able to either, make a guy miss or break a tackle, by either running through them or using a strong stiff arm.

He's everything that Quick is not.

I've watched every game Marquise Lee has played, and some practices. Its not even close, Sammy is hands down the better receiver. Better hands, better strength, better catching radius, better route runner.

ML looks prettier in the open field, but he will not handle press coverage or the nuisances of wr as well as this kid.

I'm ALL in!!"

I understand this may not mean much to people here but to ME it is the icing on top of the cake!

RFIP

T each his own my friend. I would ask you to watch as we go forward as I'll be shocked if anyone thinks Evans has hands close to Watkins, or speed. Some will like his height for sure but that is meaningless in this comparison because Watkins plays every bit as tall, has much better hips, catches everything with his hands and explodes after the catch.

The Rams already have a project like Evens, his name is Quick. But Watkins will be in the rarefied air of NFL wr's in year 1.

RFIP

Well Max, the Texans may not win today because, well, they have forgotten how to I believe, but remember this, Schuab is starting....why would he tank the game when its his last chance to add to his resume. In fact I would tell you that I actually believe the Texans win today. Hell Wade Phillips has almost no chance of coming back either, where is his motivation to lose?

IF the Texans really want to lose today they should go back to Kenum AND relieve Phillips of HC before they play.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The thing that scares me most about a Watkins selection is that the team would probably try to go back toward more of a passing offense and abandon the running game / strong defense gameplan that seems to be working well.
It's tough Watkins is a game changer, but I concur here. The Rams are going to win running the football and playing great defense. Offensive Line with the injury to Long and the possible loss of Saffold is priority #1 here!

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I agree with everything you posted. But, if he's the best player on the board (after a trade down) when the Rams selection comes up, I hope they take him.

First, great discussion here guys. I've enjoyed reading it.

I have no horse in this race, as I'm not in draft mode yet, and yield to the knowledge being offered up here. Not to mention, I'm not as astute in these matters as others (Memphis, Jrry, Bonifay, and etc) are. I have to agree with what Memphis posted to Bonifay. I'm a firm believer in taking BPA. If the player taken is BPA and fits a need we have, even better, but first and foremost BPA is my pick. If Watkins is that guy then so be it.

Welcome to the forum RFIP and a great way to start it off. Going to FB this thread if you don't mind. :cool:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Let me add a quote from a poster on another board that I respect in these matters, he's an SC allum and apologist, and he has major connections within the Rams organization. Here are his comments on both Watkins and Lee that he posted last evening:

"OK, I'm sold on Sammy Watkins....
...tracks the deep ball very well, explodes through the ball. Attacks balls like their his. Plays bigger than his size, with great hands and speed.

He's a football player, not just a wr. Can lower his head in traffic and run over defenders. You don't have to create gimmick plays for this kid, just get him the ball and let him work.

Sinks really well in his cuts and explodes out of them.

I saw him run a lot of the stop routes (as some of you call them) that we run, but the difference is he was able to either, make a guy miss or break a tackle, by either running through them or using a strong stiff arm.

He's everything that Quick is not.

I've watched every game Marquise Lee has played, and some practices. Its not even close, Sammy is hands down the better receiver. Better hands, better strength, better catching radius, better route runner.

ML looks prettier in the open field, but he will not handle press coverage or the nuisances of wr as well as this kid.

I'm ALL in!!"

I understand this may not mean much to people here but to ME it is the icing on top of the cake!
As previously stated I get it Watkins is a stud. BUT nowhere in the article does he call Lee a one trick pony, injury riddled, or grade him under Evans. My point is that I believe your assessment of Lee is off, Not your assessment of Watkins. I would love a true #1 and I also love Watkins physicality, he plays tough. I have seen him drop his head at the time of the catch to bump defenders off the play.

Here are the stats over the last 3 years Evans stats are 2 years:
Watkins Lee Evans
Size 6'1 205 Size 6'0 195 Size 6'5 225
Catches 225 Catches 248 Catches 147
Yards 3,164 Yards 3,655 Yards 2,427
TD's 25 TD's 29 TD's 17

Last edited by a moderator:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Love Watkins, but I just cannot imagine the Rams going WR that high. You could have Megatron, Fitz and Jesus at WR and it wouldn't matter if your QB doesn't have the time to get them the ball. OL has to be a priority.