Tavon Austin?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jdhommert

Rookie
Patterson slipped because he was sushi raw coming out. Read up on his collegiate career. I'm sure the rams weren't the only ones to think Tavon was the better pick at the time.

TY Hilton is a better receiver than both right now. What round did he go in? Hint, a hell of a lot later
Ya the massive question about Patterson was his intelligence and he was so damn raw.

My responses with people were-

Big questions if he can develop into a true outside WR guy. Extremely raw blah blah blah we already have that guy in Quick..

But...imagine if/when Quick and Patterson came on together at the same time....

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Patterson slipped because he was sushi raw coming out. Read up on his collegiate career. I'm sure the rams weren't the only ones to think Tavon was the better pick at the time.

TY Hilton is a better receiver than both right now. What round did he go in? Hint, a hell of a lot later
Believe me I was all over the WRs coming out in that draft and I did not want any of the 3 you mentioned, I wanted Keenan Allen.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Ya the massive question about Patterson was his intelligence and he was so damn raw.

My responses with people were-

Big questions if he can develop into a true outside WR guy. Extremely raw blah blah blah we already have that guy in Quick..

But...imagine if/when Quick and Patterson came on together at the same time....
Patterson is STILL very raw as a WR. He did nothing special as a pass catcher today. He ran the ball 3 times with a game breaking play being one of them. But let's not make him out to be the next Randy Moss of the Purple Gang just yet.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Believe me I was all over the WRs coming out in that draft and I did not want any of the 3 you mentioned, I wanted Keenan Allen.
I did not mention Allen because the Rams needed a game breaker speed type of guy in the worst way at the time. Not because Allen is not good. Different type altogether. In their minds they had Quick penciled in for that role you speak of

jjab360

Legend
Patterson is STILL very raw as a WR. He did nothing special as a pass catcher today. He ran the ball 3 times with a game breaking play being one of them. But let's not make him out to be the next Randy Moss of the Purple Gang just yet.
I'm still not sure Patterson can develop into that go-to outside receiver, he didn't show much of that today at all, but he's definitely one of the biggest pure playmakers in the league right now.

SlaterFan

He just always seems to get dragged down....just doesn't pull away from anybody much...I think CoachO hits the nail on the head...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I did not mention Allen because the Rams needed a game breaker speed type of guy in the worst way at the time. Not because Allen is not good. Different type altogether. In their minds they had Quick penciled in for that role you speak of
I like Allen because he can be and has already shown the ability to be an NFL WR and punt returner. Over 1000 yards and 8 TDs as a rookie WR and over 1100 yards as a punt returner. I know there were questions about his knee but he played in the PAC 10 against better competition and was leader with no questions about his mental capacity. Water under the bridge but again it shows the Rams inability to judge WR talent.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
size and route running matter....any wr that comes in with a limited skill set, bad measureables (like small hands) and lack of experience in a pro-style system will struggle. He's not a true wr, like Eddleman, Amendola, Cook, or any small wr. He caught bubble screens & hitches....He goes down easily...And this is the NFL...One of the greatest college players I ever saw was Reggie Bush, and it took him several seasons to become decent....and remember I saw Barry Sanders in college. I saw Billy Sims...The difference, Barry could really make people miss, and ran with power. You must be a powerful player, no matter how big or small you are.

This pretty much sums it up

TexasRam

Legend
It's very Apparent Schotty is a bad fit for Tavon. Schotty can call about 4-5 good games out of a 16 game season from a run scheme standpoint. His ability to pass scheme is absent, and the Rams are paying.

RamzFanz

Damnit
my two cents worth on the Tavon Austin discussion......

The thing about Austin that has concerned me since he got here is his size, or serious lack thereof. He has plenty of straight line speed, and he has plenty of "change of direction" WHEN he is moving forward. But he doesn't have a lot of start and stop quickness, such as an Amendola did. Defenses know they cannot match up against him in straight man coverage, so they force him to catch the ball in windows, usually while standing still. Which completely negates his best asset. His SPEED. That isn't on Schottenheimer. That 's on Austin. And to think he would come in do what he did at WVU, against Big XII defenses, which were among the worst in the country, well, was false optimism IMO.

The best thing that can happen to make Austin a part of this offense is to establish Quick and Britt, along with Cook, and get the running game going. Tavon Austin just isn't the type of player who can be featured. He will always be an accessory piece that can exploit teams when they are forced to pay attention to other guys, creating a mismatch for Austin.

I have seem a lot of people comments regarding using Austin like Minnesota uses Patterson, i just don't think its a fair comparison. Patterson breaks tackles, and can run plays from scrimmage. As a receiver, what did Patterson do to set himself apart today? Not much from where I sat.

Austin, while people may like to think he can based on his days at WVU, its not gonna happen here. How many times has he had a crease, and has been ONE STEP from breaking a big play, only to be brought down by the one guy who grabs on to him and pulls him down? His lack of size makes it virtually impossible for him to be able to break a tackle.

Look at the punt returns TODAY. He was tentative, and indecisive. and virtually worthless back there. And that is when he actually held on the the ball.

CoachO, that just doesn't sit well with me. Go watch Patterson's TD run. Outside, blocking, he was sprung and used speed. Then he slipped one tackle.

Now imagine TA in THAT play with THAT blocking.

I don't need to, I've seen it last season.

Shotty has no idea how to spring him loose like that OR Rams just don't have the blocking. We both know they have the blocking.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Decisiveness is his big weakness. Do much dancing to make fancy plays is what I see. Trying to make guys look foolish.

You gotta make your first cut and just go and run through the openings that come open instead of waiting for them before they open up.

Patterson, imo, still has better open field moves than Austin. In fact, some of the best in the NFL. Dude has the balance of a RB, which lets him make cuts and stop and go that Austin doesn't have. In other words, Austin will always need more space to work with than Patterson.

Like CoachO said, you gotta game plan the other WRs to open things for Austin. Which is a problem for such a high draft pick. Try more Harvin plays wouldn't hurt though, but I think Harvin has a better first step explosion than Austin.

Eh, I think a lot of you are underestimating Tavon's stop/start ability and his acceleration.

I agree that the Rams need to work with him on just getting up-field. As far as better open-field moves, not sure I agree with that. Patterson can slip tackles more effectively but when it comes to jukes and cuts, I think Tavon has him beat.

Tavon's balance, cutting ability and stop/start ability are insane. He just hasn't had as much of a chance to show it here.

And frankly, I think Tavon is more capable of breaking tackles than some give him credit for. He's not Patterson but he can slip a tackle now and then and break some arm tackles when he gets going.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
my two cents worth on the Tavon Austin discussion......

The thing about Austin that has concerned me since he got here is his size, or serious lack thereof. He has plenty of straight line speed, and he has plenty of "change of direction" WHEN he is moving forward. But he doesn't have a lot of start and stop quickness, such as an Amendola did. Defenses know they cannot match up against him in straight man coverage, so they force him to catch the ball in windows, usually while standing still. Which completely negates his best asset. His SPEED. That isn't on Schottenheimer. That 's on Austin. And to think he would come in do what he did at WVU, against Big XII defenses, which were among the worst in the country, well, was false optimism IMO.

The best thing that can happen to make Austin a part of this offense is to establish Quick and Britt, along with Cook, and get the running game going. Tavon Austin just isn't the type of player who can be featured. He will always be an accessory piece that can exploit teams when they are forced to pay attention to other guys, creating a mismatch for Austin.

I have seem a lot of people comments regarding using Austin like Minnesota uses Patterson, i just don't think its a fair comparison. Patterson breaks tackles, and can run plays from scrimmage. As a receiver, what did Patterson do to set himself apart today? Not much from where I sat.

Austin, while people may like to think he can based on his days at WVU, its not gonna happen here. How many times has he had a crease, and has been ONE STEP from breaking a big play, only to be brought down by the one guy who grabs on to him and pulls him down? His lack of size makes it virtually impossible for him to be able to break a tackle.

Look at the punt returns TODAY. He was tentative, and indecisive. and virtually worthless back there. And that is when he actually held on the the ball.
Austin is a mismatch plain in simple. The deep ball he caught is an example of that the plays in Indy was an example of that. People underestimate him because he is small and short but the guy is a receiver. Every time he goes deep and is targeted he almost always makes the catch. It is on schotty to design plays for him. If those plays calls for him to run between the tackles when our running backs couldn't even get going or him catching short passes in the backfield with no blocking at all that's not on Austin. Some college players don't translate into nfl players but Austin isn't one of them. Austin needs to be on the field all the time every time he comes in the defense knows he is getting the ball and that's on schotty. Schotty is just not a very good play caller and it has been ample evidence of that. It seem like all the progress he made last year with using Austin is lost footage now

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty much why I fought against all the Tavon honks on RT. Worried about his size. But we still aren't using him correctly but motioning him, pre-snap movement, isolating him in space more. I'll support him, damn straight.

But damned if I didn't want Nuke Hopkins something fierce and Patterson before Austin. Small WRs just struggle to make plays unless you are a superior route runner.

Austin not there yet. Hopefully he can start showing up like TY Hilton though. At least.
He can be a Ty Hilton better really if they ever use him like a receiver instead of putting him out there for crap plays send him on some go routes deep crossing patterns they don't do any of that with him and when they do surprise it actually works

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Our OL, and our QB awareness, was not good today, so I wouldn't sum up a player, or the season with any absolutes. It's also hard to trend, or figure out, who we are in this one game.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Our OC simply isn't good. Our QBs since SB went down after 7wk last year have not been good. It's hard to evaluate TA for these reasons.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
He needs to be on Kickoff Returns. Givens' looks really slow running the ball out of the end zone.

Put Tavon back there, he won't get hurt unless he gets rolled up on.

jjab360

Legend
He needs to be on Kickoff Returns. Givens' looks really slow running the ball out of the end zone.

Put Tavon back there, he won't get hurt unless he gets rolled up on.
I don't think Givens necessarily looks slow, but it's not even close who has the better chance of taking it to the house, imo.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
CoachO, that just doesn't sit well with me. Go watch Patterson's TD run. Outside, blocking, he was sprung and used speed. Then he slipped one tackle.

Now imagine TA in THAT play with THAT blocking.

I don't need to, I've seen it last season.

Shotty has no idea how to spring him loose like that OR Rams just don't have the blocking. We both know they have the blocking.
Yeah, I too think it's a no brainier that Patterson and Harvin break tackles better. The point is space. Get the man the ball in space and on the run. They ran him between the tackles repeatedly today for crying out loud.

Hit Stick

What's not happened with Tavon Austin since he joined the Rams?.......

He is the most explosive player I have ever seen......fast, elusive, great in space...

I really thought that the dynamic WVU duo Austin/Bailey would help to win a lot of games for the Rams......
Austin never missed a practice nor a game due to injury...and put up huge, unreal numbers....and Bailey never dropped a pass.....I know that the NFL is not college ball...but I really don't understand.....

Does anyone have the answer?......

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=A011US0&p=utube tavon austin

People forget he had like 3-4 TDs called back last year.

He is also a victim of playing majority of his career thus far with backup QBs.

He wouldn't be seen as a let down on a team who has been successfully passing and running the ball because at that point the gadget plays would work like a charm