Tavon Austin?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
How the heck can you blame Austin for being stopped when he gets the ball? To me, That's ALL Schotty. The coach has to draw up plays that utilize the players talent. Austin is best moving in space. The coach has to design plays to get him the ball on the move........and not with 4 defenders waiting around him.

A55VA6

Legend
Brian Schottenheimer's lack of creativity and bad blocking.

That's atleast what I see.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think there is some legitimacy to the idea that Schotty has to use him in better situations, I also think they need to get the other guys working in order to get him to those situations. Crossing routes take some time to develop, the oline certainly did not play well enough to allow that today. Getting Quick, Britt and Cook working down field will give him more room behind the LBs to be on the move and hopefully get TA moving forward.

He looked terrible on punts today, drops and running sideways and even backwards is never a good thing. He needs to catch the ball and move up field he is never going to out run the coverage sideways. If he can't learn to do that he is a liability back there not an asset.

Why did they move up to take him at #8, it looks more and more like a huge reach they are not impressive when drafting WRs so far.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ITs easy to say they should use Austin like Patterson. Really? let me see. Minnesota gave the ball to Patterson 3 times. 2 on Jet sweeps, which he turned up inside, broke a tackle at the point of attack, and gained 10+ yards. The 3rd carry was nothing more than a toss sweep out, that any RB runs from the time they are in HS. Again, the difference, Patterson BROKE TACKLES. Something Austin cannot do.

While that's true, the big thing was that Patterson's 3 runs were well blocked. Here's his TD:
ThoughtfulGoodIchthyosaurs.gif

I apologize for the pain of watching that again. Yes, Patterson breaks two arm tackles to spring free and then makes nice moves in the open field. However, Patterson wasn't touched until he was 13 yards past the LOS. His other runs? Were similar in that the Vikings sealed the Rams defenders inside and allowed him to break containment outside which left him against DBs in space. His plays were unexpected by the Rams and well blocked. Then Patterson made the most of them. But I think Austin can do quite a bit of damage when he's given similar space or a similar seam.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Pretty much why I fought against all the Tavon honks on RT. Worried about his size. But we still aren't using him correctly but motioning him, pre-snap movement, isolating him in space more. I'll support him, damn straight.

But damned if I didn't want Nuke Hopkins something fierce and Patterson before Austin. Small WRs just struggle to make plays unless you are a superior route runner.
Austin not there yet. Hopefully he can start showing up like TY Hilton though. At least.
My thing with Austin, and I am in no way trying to say he cannot or will not be a valuable part of this offense. But so many think BECAUSE of where he was drafted, that he has to be force fed the ball. He will never be the focal point of this offense. He is best served, and will be the most productive as accessory piece, who needs the others to produce to open things up for him.

There was a thread yesterday, in which Will Witherspoon broke down the "All 22" play in the Cleveland game. the pass from Hill to Britt along the sideline. If people go back and watch that play, see how Austin works himself wide open BEHIND the LB and has nothing but green grass in front of him. That happened BECAUSE Britt and Quick were drawing attention away from Austin. Not because Austin did anything special on the play.

If Schottenheimer made a mistake today, it was going in with the "plan" to get Austin the ball "twice a quarter" as he claimed. If this is true, its akin to the square peg/round hole principle to me. They need to incorporate him into the game plan just like any other player, not at the expense of them.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
I think there is some legitimacy to the idea that Schotty has to use him in better situations, I also think they need to get the other guys working in order to get him to those situations. Crossing routes take some time to develop, the oline certainly did not play well enough to allow that today. Getting Quick, Britt and Cook working down field will give him more room behind the LBs to be on the move and hopefully get TA moving forward.

He looked terrible on punts today, drops and running sideways and even backwards is never a good thing. He needs to catch the ball and move up field he is never going to out run the coverage sideways. If he can't learn to do that he is a liability back there not an asset.

Why did they move up to take him at #8, it looks more and more like a huge reach they are not impressive when drafting WRs so far.
Because they were in dire need of an explosive playmaker and that he is. That's why they took him that early

CoachO

Hall of Fame
While that's true, the big thing was that Patterson's 3 runs were well blocked. Here's his TD:

I apologize for the pain of watching that again. Yes, Patterson breaks two arm tackles to spring free and then makes nice moves in the open field. However, Patterson wasn't touched until he was 13 yards past the LOS. His other runs? Were similar in that the Vikings sealed the Rams defenders inside and allowed him to break containment outside which left him against DBs in space. His plays were unexpected by the Rams and well blocked. Then Patterson made the most of them. But I think Austin can do quite a bit of damage when he's given similar space or a similar seam.

While I agree with everything you said, I will argue the point that Patterson just hits the seam and turns it up. Austin, to this point, still wants to pick his holes, which causes him to be indecisive, and ends up with him getting caught from behind. And he will not break even those arms tackles that Patterson ran thru.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I agree with everything you said, I will argue the point that Patterson just hits the seam and turns it up. Austin, to this point, still wants to pick his holes, which causes him to be indecisive, and ends up with him getting caught from behind. And he will not break even those arms tackles that Patterson ran thru.

That's a fair point. Although I think on that sort of play, Austin would be more inclined to get up-field. But as I said, it's something he needs to do better. Just get going north and then you can worry about making cuts to set guys up.

As far as the arm tackles go, I would agree. Unlikely he breaks those, although, he might not have had too as his speed might have eliminated those angles because, imo, he has a step or two on Patterson in terms of speed.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
What's not happened with Tavon Austin since he joined the Rams?.......

He is the most explosive player I have ever seen......fast, elusive, great in space...

I really thought that the dynamic WVU duo Austin/Bailey would help to win a lot of games for the Rams......
Austin never missed a practice nor a game due to injury...and put up huge, unreal numbers....and Bailey never dropped a pass.....I know that the NFL is not college ball...but I really don't understand.....

Does anyone have the answer?......

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=A011US0&p=utube tavon austin
the problem is our OC plain and simple. the Vikings proved just that with how they used Patterson. I'm done with it. if/when we draft a top QB next year and with or without Bradford cut Schotty so the rookie can learn a better system.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Just wow @ Michael Brockers speed/hustle on this play. Even tho he didnt make the play the fact that he was in position to was particularly impressive

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I get that some fans don't think Schotty has anything to do with the Rams' continued offensive struggles, and their difficulties in developing their WRs in the passing game. But if you look at his history the guy just is not able to consistently field a good passing offense, or even a good offense period that has balance. At some point that needs to be taken into account IMO.

Tavon looks like he's still struggling mentally with the gameplan, like he is not just playing. He's still thinking. We have seen already what he can do when he runs plays he's comfortable with, the guy has talent, he is a weapon that has to be utilized. Schotty and this offensive staff in general are not getting it done, and they need to. Fish has to start taking that stuff seriously too, instead of just having high expectations with the defense. It makes me want to throw up that he didn't clear things out and hire Norv Turner when he was available, seriously.

I believe you could take Tavon, probably Cook as well, and put them in a real offense, with an OC who knows what he's doing, and he'd absolutely kill it. I almost feel sorry for the guy, being a speed weapon like he is and playing for Schotty. It's sad man. Put him in an Eagles uniform and he would terrorize defenses.
I wonder does he really get the playbook...But my question is this, during his punt returns...is he thinking too much? Is Schotty to blame, is the ST coach, Fassel, the problem? When do you say, ok, it's on Tavon to make something happen? It seemed like the last PR he was waking up. The ones prior, he went back to rookie mode.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just wow @ Michael Brockers speed/hustle on this play. Even tho he didnt make the play the fact that he was in position to was particularly impressive

Look at Quinn too. Guy is two yards in the back-field maintaining his back-side contain and then takes off and runs Patterson down. Too bad he didn't make the tackle, showed SERIOUS speed.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Because they were in dire need of an explosive playmaker and that he is. That's why they took him that early
Yet he has only had 2 games with any production and we saw a guy today who was chosen after him who has been a better NFL player. It is time for TA to step up his game with the opportunities he is given.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Look at Quinn too. Guy is two yards in the back-field maintaining his back-side contain and then takes off and runs Patterson down. Too bad he didn't make the tackle, showed SERIOUS speed.
He ran stride for stride with Peterson last year on his long TD run too. I knew Quinn could run but holy shit

Athos

Legend
That's a fair point. Although I think on that sort of play, Austin would be more inclined to get up-field. But as I said, it's something he needs to do better. Just get going north and then you can worry about making cuts to set guys up.

As far as the arm tackles go, I would agree. Unlikely he breaks those, although, he might not have had too as his speed might have eliminated those angles because, imo, he has a step or two on Patterson in terms of speed.

Decisiveness is his big weakness. Do much dancing to make fancy plays is what I see. Trying to make guys look foolish.

You gotta make your first cut and just go and run through the openings that come open instead of waiting for them before they open up.

Patterson, imo, still has better open field moves than Austin. In fact, some of the best in the NFL. Dude has the balance of a RB, which lets him make cuts and stop and go that Austin doesn't have. In other words, Austin will always need more space to work with than Patterson.

Like CoachO said, you gotta game plan the other WRs to open things for Austin. Which is a problem for such a high draft pick. Try more Harvin plays wouldn't hurt though, but I think Harvin has a better first step explosion than Austin.

WvuIN02

Starter
I can only imagine what type of numbers he'd put up if he was in the Bronchos or eagles offence..
Schotty has a big part in this I feel

He does, the other big part is that we have no idea how he would do with a good QB this year which the Rams don't have. Compare those teams to the Rans: They have A) Way more weapons, B) QBs who are way more talented, and C) offensive coordinators who have proven their offenses can put up big numbers (Denver and Philly were 1st and 2nd in offense last year).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Right? A DT making the final tackle? Wow. That's great that everyone is swarming to the ball, but now we need that happening behind the LOS or within 5 yards of it. Still an awesome, awesome effort.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very true. I think Brockers stood out to me because of his size/position. I guess i took Quinns speed for granted but he legitimately ran stride for stride with patterson.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Yet he has only had 2 games with any production and we saw a guy today who was chosen after him who has been a better NFL player. It is time for TA to step up his game with the opportunities he is given.
Patterson slipped because he was sushi raw coming out. Read up on his collegiate career. I'm sure the rams weren't the only ones to think Tavon was the better pick at the time.

TY Hilton is a better receiver than both right now. What round did he go in? Hint, a hell of a lot later