Tavon Austin?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bethwvu

UDFA
What's not happened with Tavon Austin since he joined the Rams?.......

He is the most explosive player I have ever seen......fast, elusive, great in space...

I really thought that the dynamic WVU duo Austin/Bailey would help to win a lot of games for the Rams......
Austin never missed a practice nor a game due to injury...and put up huge, unreal numbers....and Bailey never dropped a pass.....I know that the NFL is not college ball...but I really don't understand.....

Does anyone have the answer?......

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=A011US0&p=utube+tavon+austin

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
size and route running matter....any wr that comes in with a limited skill set, bad measureables (like small hands) and lack of experience in a pro-style system will struggle. He's not a true wr, like Eddleman, Amendola, Cook, or any small wr. He caught bubble screens & hitches....He goes down easily...And this is the NFL...One of the greatest college players I ever saw was Reggie Bush, and it took him several seasons to become decent....and remember I saw Barry Sanders in college. I saw Billy Sims...The difference, Barry could really make people miss, and ran with power. You must be a powerful player, no matter how big or small you are.

Bethwvu

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've given thought to your response.....

So why did the Rams draft TA?.......and so high?......The Rams knew the size of his hands....his power or lack thereof...The coaches went to Morgantown to evaluate him and were impressed with what they saw and with his teammate, Stedman.....I am sure there was a thorough evaluation to determine that he could be a positive factor in the Rams offense.....So what was the plan? Is there still a plan?.....

Maybe he would be used more effectively somewhere else...a team that would take advantage of the abilities he does possess.....Or do you think he is not NFL material?...

I think Tavon has the ability to be great. Watching the Colts game, you can tell he has big time NFL talent. The problem is we need to get him the ball in situations where he can excel. Running him between the tackles is not the answer. He has to be in a position to succeed. I mean, imagine Adrian Peterson at WR or something. He'd suck there, but that doesn't mean he is a bad NFL player.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
my two cents worth on the Tavon Austin discussion......

The thing about Austin that has concerned me since he got here is his size, or serious lack thereof. He has plenty of straight line speed, and he has plenty of "change of direction" WHEN he is moving forward. But he doesn't have a lot of start and stop quickness, such as an Amendola did. Defenses know they cannot match up against him in straight man coverage, so they force him to catch the ball in windows, usually while standing still. Which completely negates his best asset. His SPEED. That isn't on Schottenheimer. That 's on Austin. And to think he would come in do what he did at WVU, against Big XII defenses, which were among the worst in the country, well, was false optimism IMO.

The best thing that can happen to make Austin a part of this offense is to establish Quick and Britt, along with Cook, and get the running game going. Tavon Austin just isn't the type of player who can be featured. He will always be an accessory piece that can exploit teams when they are forced to pay attention to other guys, creating a mismatch for Austin.

I have seem a lot of people comments regarding using Austin like Minnesota uses Patterson, i just don't think its a fair comparison. Patterson breaks tackles, and can run plays from scrimmage. As a receiver, what did Patterson do to set himself apart today? Not much from where I sat.

Austin, while people may like to think he can based on his days at WVU, its not gonna happen here. How many times has he had a crease, and has been ONE STEP from breaking a big play, only to be brought down by the one guy who grabs on to him and pulls him down? His lack of size makes it virtually impossible for him to be able to break a tackle.

Look at the punt returns TODAY. He was tentative, and indecisive. and virtually worthless back there. And that is when he actually held on the the ball.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I can only imagine what type of numbers he'd put up if he was in the Bronchos or eagles offence..
Schotty has a big part in this I feel

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Not trying to be negative here but in Tavon's defense, he should be used like Harvin and Patterson. Not pounding the rock between the tackles several times as seen today. Schotty starting using him well later in the year last year, like the colts game.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think Tavon has the ability to be great. Watching the Colts game, you can tell he has big time NFL talent. The problem is we need to get him the ball in situations where he can excel. Running him between the tackles is not the answer. He has to be in a position to succeed. I mean, imagine Adrian Peterson at WR or something. He'd suck there, but that doesn't mean he is a bad NFL player.

That game was the blueprint for how to use him on offense.

1st offensive TD, he played outside and ran a simple 9 route. Made just a slight move to get past the CB and once he did that, it was nothing but speed. Clemens hit him on the move and it was an easy six after that.

Second offensive TD, started outside, motioned inside, ran a short crossing route off a pick that got him in space. Caught the ball on the run and then turned upfield, and at that point all he had to do is turn on his incredible jets and it was another easy six.

We should call at least one of each of those types of plays to Austin in every game we play.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I agree with a lot of what CoachO said. That being said - obviously the Rams knew all of this. Why did they trade up to draft him #8 overall?

We've all seen what he can do at the college level, and we got a glimpse against Indy and Chicago. They need to get him the ball while he's moving - not these quick 3 or 4 yard passes in a tight window or against the sideline. I'm still expecting a few big games from Tavon this year...

V3

Hall of Fame
Why don't they use him on KR? I mean, they might as well try and get as much production out of him as they can. Givens isn't doing anything special on KR.

V3

Hall of Fame
I agree with a lot of what CoachO said. That being said - obviously the Rams knew all of this. Why did they trade up to draft him #8 overall?

We've all seen what he can do at the college level, and we got a glimpse against Indy and Chicago. They need to get him the ball while he's moving - not these quick 3 or 4 yard passes in a tight window or against the sideline. I'm still expecting a few big games from Tavon this year...
I don't think the Rams knew this. I think they thought he would be able to beat a single defender alone and be able to keep running after getting touched. I haven't seen that from him. When he has blockers to help and he's already on the move, that's when you see production. I also think they thought he'd be a better route runner. At least, that's how I see it.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve

Actually he was very productive last year playing on the outside. His better stats came from there

Bethwvu

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tavon played in space in college...not the big RB type of plays up the middle......He doesn't have the build for that.......He has speed...can find the holes in space.....can change direction...

Seeing Harvin play the other night reminded me that Tavon could be doing that......Actually the reason for this post.......Why not try?......

I hope it all works out for the Rams and for #11 this season.......Obviously, I am a bit prejudiced.....he made mincemeat of #12 Oklahoma with over 500 yards ....and in the Orange Bowl against Clemson...70-33....he made Sammy Watkins look like a cub scout.......

Good Luck!

And TA was never caught from behind.....not once in his 4 years.......

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
That game was the blueprint for how to use him on offense.

1st offensive TD, he played outside and ran a simple 9 route. Made just a slight move to get past the CB and once he did that, it was nothing but speed. Clemens hit him on the move and it was an easy six after that.

Second offensive TD, started outside, motioned inside, ran a short crossing route off a pick that got him in space. Caught the ball on the run and then turned upfield, and at that point all he had to do is turn on his incredible jets and it was another easy six.

We should call at least one of each of those types of plays to Austin in every game we play.
You guys are missing the point of that game, compared to the other 15 they played last year. Indy for whatever reason, played almost exclusively man to man coverage. Not many (if any) teams chose that course of action.

Its not as simple as you want to make it sound. The types of routes they have to run, or an OC can call, are so different vs. man coverage as opposed to zone. He may call the exact same play that they ran in Indy, and the route adjustments based on the type of coverage will change the outcome. That again, isn't on the OC.

ITs easy to say they should use Austin like Patterson. Really? let me see. Minnesota gave the ball to Patterson 3 times. 2 on Jet sweeps, which he turned up inside, broke a tackle at the point of attack, and gained 10+ yards. The 3rd carry was nothing more than a toss sweep out, that any RB runs from the time they are in HS. Again, the difference, Patterson BROKE TACKLES. Something Austin cannot do.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I get that some fans don't think Schotty has anything to do with the Rams' continued offensive struggles, and their difficulties in developing their WRs in the passing game. But if you look at his history the guy just is not able to consistently field a good passing offense, or even a good offense period that has balance. At some point that needs to be taken into account IMO.

Tavon looks like he's still struggling mentally with the gameplan, like he is not just playing. He's still thinking. We have seen already what he can do when he runs plays he's comfortable with, the guy has talent, he is a weapon that has to be utilized. Schotty and this offensive staff in general are not getting it done, and they need to. Fish has to start taking that stuff seriously too, instead of just having high expectations with the defense. It makes me want to throw up that he didn't clear things out and hire Norv Turner when he was available, seriously.

I believe you could take Tavon, probably Cook as well, and put them in a real offense, with an OC who knows what he's doing, and he'd absolutely kill it. I almost feel sorry for the guy, being a speed weapon like he is and playing for Schotty. It's sad man. Put him in an Eagles uniform and he would terrorize defenses.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The big thing that Tavon needs to learn, especially on punt returns, NFL teams are too talented for you to run east-west or hesitate. It works on occasion but most times, it doesn't. Tavon needs to just get up-field and get moving after he catches the ball.

As far as him on offense is concerned, the Rams need to scheme better for that imo. I will say that today, at least, showed some potential for that. The pass out of the back-field is a good idea...but, imo, he should be running a wheel route instead of a flat route against a LB. The runs were a good start but our OL needs to block better and we need to use some better runs for Tavon. Use a counter or a trap or a stretch play or a toss with some misdirection. Get the guy some space or a seam like the Vikings did Patterson.

Athos

Legend
my two cents worth on the Tavon Austin discussion......

Pretty much why I fought against all the Tavon honks on RT. Worried about his size. But we still aren't using him correctly but motioning him, pre-snap movement, isolating him in space more. I'll support him, damn straight.

But damned if I didn't want Nuke Hopkins something fierce and Patterson before Austin. Small WRs just struggle to make plays unless you are a superior route runner.

Austin not there yet. Hopefully he can start showing up like TY Hilton though. At least.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
You guys are missing the point of that game, compared to the other 15 they played last year. Indy for whatever reason, played almost exclusively man to man coverage. Not many (if any) teams chose that course of action.

Its not as simple as you want to make it sound. The types of routes they have to run, or an OC can call, are so different vs. man coverage as opposed to zone. He may call the exact same play that they ran in Indy, and the route adjustments based on the type of coverage will change the outcome. That again, isn't on the OC.

ITs easy to say they should use Austin like Patterson. Really? let me see. Minnesota gave the ball to Patterson 3 times. 2 on Jet sweeps, which he turned up inside, broke a tackle at the point of attack, and gained 10+ yards. The 3rd carry was nothing more than a toss sweep out, that any RB runs from the time they are in HS. Again, the difference, Patterson BROKE TACKLES. Something Austin cannot do.

I'm not saying what's in bold. Others may be but not me. Personally I think Tavon at this point is better at being a WR than Patterson. But you're right, he can't break tackles, which is all the more reason you need to figure out a way to get him the ball in space and then let him use his speed.