Tavon Austin?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
But that's exactly what the Vikings do is create space for him. On his touchdown run they had in in motion on a sweep that is creating space. He did nothing as a receiver. Yes he is very dangerous at breaking tackles when he has a full head of steam going but if you stop him at the point of attack he becomes less dangerous.

Have to totally agree, it's unfortunate that they have Patterson and Peterson, you mark one and the other lets rip :(

Marq

Marq My Wordz
Name
King
If TA and Schotty got fired today. Who would get picked up first? I know I am over simplify it but think of it on a weighted scale. Say a team right now needs both bad. Who gets the job? I'm taking TA and the qb can draw up plays in the dirt. Schotty is uninspiring period. I hated him being picked up more than Josh McDaniels.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Shottenheimer. I re-watched part of the game. Opposing team allways has blockers out in front of the ball carrier, the Rams rarely have blockers out in front of the ball carrier. nuff said

johndoe200

UDFA
Name
mack
But that's exactly what the Vikings do is create space for him. On his touchdown run they had in in motion on a sweep that is creating space. He did nothing as a receiver. Yes he is very dangerous at breaking tackles when he has a full head of steam going but if you stop him at the point of attack he becomes less dangerous.

The motion was not to create space but to prevent preparation. Asiata threw a great block but the play was a basic toss. He ended up breaking 5 tackles by my count (I read someone claims it was 7). If that was TA would that have been a 67 yard touchdown or a 20 yard carry? I'm leaning to the 20 yard cary.

If you watch his 35 yard TD run vs. the Bengals (Zimmer coach D at the time) you can see that it was him hitting the seam and his fantastic vision rather than some extraordinary design. I just watch some of TAs highlights from last year and it confirmed some of his college play. He just doesn't break many tackles and he needs space. CP doesn't need space and can run in "traffic". He also has trucked a few CBs.

Check out some of his highlights from his rookie year:

I would say the only play that would support your claim that the Vikings try to create space is the Ravens screen pass.

Second point. Percy Harvin and TA are not alike. Percy Harvin could make people miss but he often liked to power through people (probably why he was injured so much). He had line backers mentality and tried to truck people. Very different styles of running.

I still like TA (like I said before) but he is a guy that needs space and doesn't create his own.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The motion was not to create space but to prevent preparation. Asiata threw a great block but the play was a basic toss. He ended up breaking 5 tackles by my count (I read someone claims it was 7). If that was TA would that have been a 67 yard touchdown or a 20 yard carry? I'm leaning to the 20 yard cary.

If you watch his 35 yard TD run vs. the Bengals (Zimmer coach D at the time) you can see that it was him hitting the seam and his fantastic vision rather than some extraordinary design. I just watch some of TAs highlights from last year and it confirmed some of his college play. He just doesn't break many tackles and he needs space. CP doesn't need space and can run in "traffic". He also has trucked a few CBs.

I would say the only play that would support your claim that the Vikings try to create space is the Ravens screen pass.

Second point. Percy Harvin and TA are not alike. Percy Harvin could make people miss but he often liked to power through people (probably why he was injured so much). He had line backers mentality and tried to truck people. Very different styles of running.

I still like TA (like I said before) but he is a guy that needs space and doesn't create his own.

Honestly, I don't see much in the video that Tavon couldn't do...and do better. Most of his long gains and TDs he was untouched with guys running at him with out stretched arms.

Some of the endzone catches, Tavon couldn't do. But the returns and runs out of the backfield don't show me something that Patterson has over Tavon.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm leaning towards 67 yard TD. Tavon has a couple of steps on Patterson in terms of speed. Two of Patterson's broken tackles were simultaneous arm tackles by McLeod, who over-ran the play, and Dunbar, who was taking an angle. Had it been Tavon, he wouldn't have had to break a tackle because Dunbar wouldn't have had the angle imo which would have allowed him to cut inside McLeod without contact. And at that point, I don't see anyone catching him in the open-field.

Agreed that the motion was to prevent preparation. It kept the Rams defense from adjusting and putting more men to the strong side.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

How is motioning not creating space if the defense is unprepared isn't that space. I have never seen Patterson stand still in the backfield like they are using Tavon because Norv knows that motioning him to the backfield is creating space. I agree that he can run through traffic but he still needs space to operate until he takes a hand off from the hb position like AP does then I would say he can create his own space but right now the difference between Patterson and tavon is the OC

johndoe200

UDFA
Name
mack
I'm leaning towards 67 yard TD. Tavon has a couple of steps on Patterson in terms of speed. Two of Patterson's broken tackles were simultaneous arm tackles by McLeod, who over-ran the play, and Dunbar, who was taking an angle. Had it been Tavon, he wouldn't have had to break a tackle because Dunbar wouldn't have had the angle imo which would have allowed him to cut inside McLeod without contact. And at that point, I don't see anyone catching him in the open-field.

Agreed that the motion was to prevent preparation. It kept the Rams defense from adjusting and putting more men to the strong side.

I agree that TA is faster than Patterson (maybe a half a step but not 2). However, Patterson has greater acceleration, stop start ability and better at cutting at speed.

Here is a video to consider:

After watching TA i doubt he would have tried to split those defenders because he is very tentative not as committed runner as Patterson because he avoid contact and is easily taken down.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree that TA is faster than Patterson (maybe a half a step but not 2). However, Patterson has greater acceleration, stop start ability and better at cutting at speed.

Stop and start ability, I might be willing to give you. The other two simply aren't true. And Tavon has a couple of steps on Patterson. Tavon is in that Mike Wallace/DeSean Jackson tier of speed. Cordarrelle is more in the Torrey Smith tier.

After watching TA i doubt he would have tried to split those defenders because he is very tentative not as committed runner as Patterson because he avoid contact and is easily taken down.

Completely inaccurate.
826482996.gif

tavon-austin.gif

820965420.gif

Tavon wouldn't have had to split the defenders. He would have eliminated Dunbar's angle. But the contention that Tavon is tentative in space...completely untrue. Tavon dances a bit too much when he's trying to get to space or a seam especially on PRs(I hate that freaking hesitation he does) but once he's moving, he goes. No hesitation whatsoever. He sees green and he's going.