Tavon Austin IS NOT a First Round Player

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
duckhunter said:
I've called Austin an anamoly. Where he gets selected is a puzzle to me. I can understand the folks that say in the 1st and understand that 2-4 is the conventional range for a returner/slot guy. I've went back and forth and I wouldn't really mind him at #22. I'd love him in the 2nd but don't think he gets there.

All the comparisons that you guys have listed and analyasis seems inadequate to me. Austin in my book is a pig. Suey, Suey.

Has anyone ever tried to catch a pig? Have you gone to the county fair and seen where they line up 20 kids and let the pigs loose and the kids try to catch them? It's hilarious. A determined kid with a somewhat comparable height and weight size advantage of a LB to Austin struggles to bend low enough to leverage the size advantage. In my mind, that's what tackling Austin is like.

My perverted contribution for the day. Hope it brings a smile to someone's face.

Haha. I get where you're coming from.

This move right here has to be the one that impressed me the most with Austin:
<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3_UNFZHSQU#t=08m02s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3_UNFZHSQU#t=08m02s</a>

Why? Look at his body. His head, hips and shoulders never move while he changes directions on a dime. It's insane. Defender legitimately has no way of anticipating that move. It takes ridiculous body control, balance and feet to pull that off.
I don't know if you've seen it, but I've seen Pead do that a number of times at Cincy.
Dude can plant and cut on a dime.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Dude said:
jrry32 said:
duckhunter said:
I've called Austin an anamoly. Where he gets selected is a puzzle to me. I can understand the folks that say in the 1st and understand that 2-4 is the conventional range for a returner/slot guy. I've went back and forth and I wouldn't really mind him at #22. I'd love him in the 2nd but don't think he gets there.

All the comparisons that you guys have listed and analyasis seems inadequate to me. Austin in my book is a pig. Suey, Suey.

Has anyone ever tried to catch a pig? Have you gone to the county fair and seen where they line up 20 kids and let the pigs loose and the kids try to catch them? It's hilarious. A determined kid with a somewhat comparable height and weight size advantage of a LB to Austin struggles to bend low enough to leverage the size advantage. In my mind, that's what tackling Austin is like.

My perverted contribution for the day. Hope it brings a smile to someone's face.

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3_UNFZHSQU#t=08m02s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3_UNFZHSQU#t=08m02s</a>

Why? Look at his body. His head, hips and shoulders never move while he changes directions on a dime. It's insane. Defender legitimately has no way of anticipating that move. It takes ridiculous body control, balance and feet to pull that off.
I don't know if you've seen it, but I've seen Pead do that a number of times at Cincy.

Pead is nasty in space. I really believe he can break out. He just needs to have the right mind-set while running...and that mind-set is get downhill. That's why DR outplayed him in the preseason. Pead seemed to get that during the season. I really felt that he deserved more touches after the NE game...but they never came.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
The Dude said:
jrry32 said:
duckhunter said:

Pead is nasty in space. I really believe he can break out. He just needs to have the right mind-set while running...and that mind-set is get downhill. That's why DR outplayed him in the preseason. Pead seemed to get that during the season. I really felt that he deserved more touches after the NE game...but they never came.
Agree. I don't know how much his late start to the OTAs factored into his reduced playing time, but I figure it was the problem early on. And the way Richardson broke out, it would have made little sense to take him out in favor of Pead's draft position. This is really a good "problem" to have.

I'd like to see more of this out of Pead this year (for example).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yITp9xMHcu0[/youtube]

Playmaker

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Isaiah Pead is the next LeSean McCoy. He was quite possibly my most favorite pick of the Rams in 2012. I had him rated as my third best RB behind Richardson and the Muscle Hamster (Doug Martin).

…..

Legend
Not sure i buy the story that Pead was late getting into last year and thus his playing time might have decreased because he had'nt gotten enough pre season reps. Sure, he graduated later than others like OJ Otagwe did a few years back, and missed some time, but he was involved right off the bat.

If my memory serves me correctly, it was actually Pead that spelled Jackson in the first couple games. After it was clear that Pead had a tendency to wonder around the LOS with no particular destination in mind, Richardson began to get playing time. D-Rich then pops off a couple nice gainers, and poof! ....Pead dissapeared.

At least that what i think i saw.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Dog said:
Not sure i buy the story that Pead was late getting into last year and thus his playing time might have decreased because he had'nt gotten enough pre season reps. Sure, he graduated later than others like OJ Otagwe did a few years back, and missed some time, but he was involved right off the bat.

If my memory serves me correctly, it was actually Pead that spelled Jackson in the first couple games. After it was clear that Pead had a tendency to wonder around the LOS with no particular destination in mind, Richardson began to get playing time. D-Rich then pops off a couple nice gainers, and poof! ....Pead dissapeared.

At least that what i think i saw.

Thats exactly what happen but it was i believe the 2nd or 3rd preseason game when Pead lost his spot. They gave him the opportunity to carry the ball, and to become the backup, but it looked as if he was indecisive and tried TOO hard to make a play. Marshall Faulk said he looked like a "deer in the headlights" in preseason. But he looked pretty good when he got a 2nd opportunity at the end of the season.

duckhunter

Starter
The Dude said:
jrry32 said:
The Dude said:
jrry32 said:
duckhunter said:

Agree. I don't know how much his late start to the OTAs factored into his reduced playing time, but I figure it was the problem early on. And the way Richardson broke out, it would have made little sense to take him out in favor of Pead's draft position. This is really a good "problem" to have.

Where'd he go, Doc? huc, huc. Where'd he go?

I've never felt so awkward in my life as trying to catch pigs. Chickens are even worse.

Something not mentioned. These guys are so exciting. They put butts in the seats.

duckhunter

Starter
Playmaker said:
Isaiah Pead is the next LeSean McCoy. He was quite possibly my most favorite pick of the Rams in 2012. I had him rated as my third best RB behind Richardson and the Muscle Hamster (Doug Martin).

Muscle Hamster. Excellent. A dichotonomy in your analogy.

As football fans, we see it with our eyes and it brings joy to our hearts.

nighttrain

Legend
duckhunter said:

ever tried to catch a chicken in a barnyard? :sly:

Austin one one of the quickest fast, really fast receives i've ever seen,..From i've seen he's almost uncoverable Love at 22, but i think if he's there at 16 we''ll take him..Pettis is not DA, and not gonna be..Austin is what SB needs on short quick passes, but he can stretch the field as good as Givens
train

duckhunter

Starter
nighttrain said:
duckhunter said:

ever tried to catch a chicken in a barnyard? :sly:

Austin one one of the quickest fast, really fast receives i've ever seen,..From i've seen he's almost uncoverable Love at 22, but i think if he's there at 16 we''ll take him..Pettis is not DA, and not gonna be..Austin is what SB needs on short quick passes, but he can stretch the field as good as Givens
train

Chickens were my specialty. Granny then would chop their head off and pluck em for Sunday dinner.

It will be interesting and quite a few choices for WR.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
duckhunter said:
The Dude said:
jrry32 said:
The Dude said:
jrry32 said:
duckhunter said:

Where'd he go, Doc? huc, huc. Where'd he go?

I've never felt so awkward in my life as trying to catch pigs. Chickens are even worse.

Something not mentioned. These guys are so exciting. They put butts in the seats.

For any of the very old Ram fans here take a look at that running style and tell me who ran very close to the same way?

That run by Pead had a seriously very familiar look to it not seen 35 yrs.......he wore #30?? for the old guys this tube will give you one hell of a rush of great memories...watch this then re watch the Pead run..then tell me I am going senile ...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4UGSyGZDyU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4UGSyGZDyU</a>

Lawrence Mc Cutcheon 6-1 205 Ok ROD'ers give the bad news am I going blind too?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BonifayRam said:
For any of the very old Ram fans here take a look at that running style and tell me who ran very close to the same way?

That run by Pead had a seriously very familiar look to it not seen 35 yrs.......he wore #30?? for the old guys this tube will give you one hell of a rush of great memories...watch this then re watch the Pead run..then tell me I am going senile ...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4UGSyGZDyU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4UGSyGZDyU</a>

Loved me some Lawrence McCutcheon back in the day. Not sure about the comparison but I'd be just fine if Pead played at that level.

duckhunter

Starter
RamFan503 said:
BonifayRam said:

Loved me some Lawrence McCutcheon back in the day. Not sure about the comparison but I'd be just fine if Pead played at that level.
You're senile, old fellow. It takes one to know one.
McCutcheon was special. On any given play, the whole defense would get multiple shots at tackling him. He was fun to watch. It looked like, the Dgameplan was herd him to the sideline and don't break picket line security.
Any local news on the Menelik' front.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
It was my privilege to witness "Lawrence of Los Angeles" (as he was affectionately called by Dick Enberg) play in every home game while in LA. He's one of my all time favorites and for 5 glorious years (73-77), he was a force to be reckoned with. Not especially flashy, but devastatingly efficient............especially on 3rd down.

jap

Legend
I remember Lawrence competing at the NFL Superstars Competition in Hawaii. In the 100-yard dash running against OJ Simpson and others, Lawrence exploded out of block like he was shot out of a canon. Of course, OJ had the long speed and was able to easily track him down and win it all. However, the early burst by Lawrence gave me one of my most vivid examples of what coaches call "explosion."

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
duckhunter said:
RamFan503 said:
BonifayRam said:

McCutcheon was special. On any given play, the whole defense would get multiple shots at tackling him. He was fun to watch. It looked like, the Dgameplan was herd him to the sideline and don't break picket line security.

Ok but I am not alone that helps I think my wife keeps me around for her own entertainment its a laughing matter for her...

I recall watching the Rams break out the Jim Bertelsen & Lawrence McCutcheon in 1973 Jim was the HB & Lawrence was the FB. They change positions in 1974. They were both drafted in 1972 in the 2nd & 3rd rounds. Both were light about 200 pounds.

Menelik Watson ? No he is showing up much more in the first round as time gets closer to the draft in 13 days. I still maintain that there is a lot of latent talent not known to many on this young man. What I like about him is he is made to order for Paul Boudreau special abilities. Menelik with PB instruction & guidance could be a major surprise somewhat like Saffold was. Menelik can immediately be a swing OT for the Rams. He has played both OLT & ORT but manned the ORT post for FSU. I see the Rams want to take a long look @ Oday Aboushi ?? he is a strict OLT player does not have a ORT bone in his body IMO?? They also want to look @ Terron Armstead I like him more than Aboushi still more OLT than ORT guy. A OT I like better is Dallas Thomas he is far more right side than left. Menelik & Dallas are my favorite two prospects @ OT for the Ram in my senile one brain cell. If either are there @ #46 better make the play! :bahumbug:

duckhunter

Starter
BonifayRam said:
duckhunter said:
RamFan503 said:
BonifayRam said:

Ok but I am not alone that helps I think my wife keeps me around for her own entertainment its a laughing matter for her...

I recall watching the Rams break out the Jim Bertelsen & Lawrence McCutcheon in 1973 Jim was the HB & Lawrence was the FB. They change positions in 1974. They were both drafted in 1972 in the 2nd & 3rd rounds. Both were light about 200 pounds.

Menelik Watson ? No he is showing up much more in the first round as time gets closer to the draft in 13 days. I still maintain that there is a lot of latent talent not known to many on this young man. What I like about him is he is made to order for Paul Boudreau special abilities. Menelik with PB instruction & guidance could be a major surprise somewhat like Saffold was. Menelik can immediately be a swing OT for the Rams. He has played both OLT & ORT but manned the ORT post for FSU. I see the Rams want to take a long look @ Oday Aboushi ?? he is a strict OLT player does not have a ORT bone in his body IMO?? They also want to look @ Terron Armstead I like him more than Aboushi still more OLT than ORT guy. A OT I like better is Dallas Thomas he is far more right side than left. Menelik & Dallas are my favorite two prospects @ OT for the Ram in my senile one brain cell. If either are there @ #46 better make the play! :bahumbug:

We're never alone my friend. I'm the clown for the last batch of grandkids and that's OK.

McCutcheon was a gambler early and could dance. He became more down hill in his 2nd year on. It was somewhat a different game with the run so dominant back then.

Thanks for the tackle update. You're one of the few who is looking at tackle still high so at least I won't be shocked if they go that route. I followed the big 5 through the season and a few others but none of these guys were on my screen. I've read a ton on them though.

I'm really trying to keep an open mind this year because El Jeffe could go a lot of ways.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
ramsince62 said:
It was my privilege to witness "Lawrence of Los Angeles" (as he was affectionately called by Dick Enberg) play in every home game while in LA. He's one of my all time favorites and for 5 glorious years (73-77), he was a force to be reckoned with. Not especially flashy, but devastatingly efficient............especially on 3rd down.
Was there too.... them were the days.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Playmaker said:
Here we are two weeks before the draft and Rams Fans and the St.Louis Media have made it clear who they have the most arousal for. West Virginia WR Tavon Austin.

But let me tell you this and you all can archive it and come back in a few years and say "Playmaker told us so" Tavon Austin is not worth a first round pick.

#1. How many 5'8 WR's do you know of that are starting in the NFL? Or even one of the top 3 WR's on a team?

#2. Other than his 40 time, the rest of his measurables are weak.
30 Inch Arms and 9 1/8 hands for a 5'8 WR
A 32 Inch Vertical......for a 5'8 WR

His 32 inch vertical was bad. How bad? Only 4 other WR's at the Scouting Combine had less than a 32 inch vertical.

His 30.08 inch arms were the second shortest of all the WR's at the Scouting Combine.

#3. Tavon Austin will never make a living outside the numbers. He's a slot guy. I want you to imagine being a QB. Let's say you're 6'5 Sam Bradford. First off you have to throw over a bunch of tall O-Linemen and D-Linemen which is hard enough for any QB. Now you have 5'8 Tavon Austin with his short arms and lack of jumping ability. Imagine being Sam Bradford (or any QB) trying to find a 5'8 WR with short arms around a bunch of big LB's and Safeties? Having such short measurables means you as a QB have to be pin point accurate. Compare this to a 6'0 WR with let's say 32 inch arms and weighs 195 lbs with a 34 inch vetical. You have 4 more inches of body to target
You have 2 more inches per arm for the WR to reach for a pass
The extra weight likely means a wider chest and ability to take more of a hit
And a 34 inch vertical gives you 4 more inches of a jump

If you add the 4 inches in height, 2 inches per arm, and 4 inches more of vertical, that is 10 inches, nearly 1 foot more of a WR get a pass to.

#4. How many Super Bowl's have been won in recent years by having 2 of the top 3 WR's being under 6'0 tall? None. Because Chris Givens is 5'11. If the Rams took Austin they'd have Givens at 5'11 and Austin at 5'8.

Fisher and Snead are smart football people. They are not part of a "Madden Video Game Generation" that only wants to look at a 40 time and his "video game" abilities. They are football people. Real football people. I am sure they have looked at these measureables and said "he'll never stay healthy in the NFL. And he is too small to spend this high of a pick anyway"

And if that's only how you view him, and the other teams are viewing him then no, he's not a first rounder. He's obviously has the potential to be much much more than that as well as be gold from the slot. I'm not going to argue with your thought process though. I actually think a lot of teams will be in the same realm of thinking. I actually don't think Snead is the type of GM to take a player like Austin unless he had an OC that would pound the table for him. I just don't know if there's much use for him in the Rams current scheme. No one knows though, but it is fun to talk about. They're drawing up plays for Cook right now, but I think a player like that fits into Schottys scheme a little easier.

Austin is a very smart player who knows how to get open, and his route running ability is underrated regardless imo. So we'll see. Idk. I think Patterson is more of a "Snead player," but over all of it he likes speed and playmakers. Austin falls into that class as well, and as of right now, he's A LOT more rounded of a player than Patterson.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
duckhunter said:
RamFan503 said:

Who you calling senile you old fart? :7up:

I always thought of our RBs back then as real lunch pail types. (For all you young punks - that's a metal box working guys used to use to carry their lunch in. :lmao: ) Cullen Bryant smashing into people, while McCutcheon and Bertelsen shot through the holes left in the carnage. And if you needed a yard just hand it to Bryant. Good as gold.