Tavon Austin (4.25 40?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The combine drills should be taken with an entire salt shaker. Austins 40 time only confirmed what we already knew. He's fast. Patterson absolutely pops on the tape I have seen. Whether or not he catches everything thrown at him in Indy doesn't really change my opinion of him. Both dudes look good in pads. I put way more stock in what I see on game tape than what I see at the combine....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
The combine drills should be taken with an entire salt shaker. Austins 40 time only confirmed what we already knew. He's fast. Patterson absolutely pops on the tape I have seen. Whether or not he catches everything thrown at him in Indy doesn't really change my opinion of him. Both dudes look good in pads. I put way more stock in what I see on game tape than what I see at the combine....
Agree.

Now check your PM that's been sitting there for a week.

Slacker. :neh:

iced

X said:
iced said:
X said:
iced said:
I really don't want Patterson. I don't understand what the love is for the guy - he's talented but not definitely not a top WR in this class. Doesn't jump off tape or impress me
He's a very fluid receiver with a good stride, good speed, good hands and good size. Still a little too raw for early consideration (IMO), but he absolutely jumps off on tape for *me*. Doesn't mean everyone sees it the same way, but I could see him having a highly productive career. Personally, I think Brian Quick can be every bit as good, if not better.

FWIW, Mayock called him "Officially a freak" after his 4.42 40.

yea see I disagree with most of what you just said. All I kept hearing Mayock talk about was needing work on his hands and I agree..Also don't think he was very fluid at all today.
That's cool. I'm sure there are a bunch of different opinions out there about him. I see a guy who can sink his hips, has good change of direction, is a hands-catcher, and has breakaway speed. If you don't see that, then that's cool. You just have to, at some point, come to the realization that your eyes aren't as good as mine.

:ww:

Think my Lasik would disagree with ya :)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
iced said:
X said:
iced said:
X said:
iced said:
I really don't want Patterson. I don't understand what the love is for the guy - he's talented but not definitely not a top WR in this class. Doesn't jump off tape or impress me
He's a very fluid receiver with a good stride, good speed, good hands and good size. Still a little too raw for early consideration (IMO), but he absolutely jumps off on tape for *me*. Doesn't mean everyone sees it the same way, but I could see him having a highly productive career. Personally, I think Brian Quick can be every bit as good, if not better.

FWIW, Mayock called him "Officially a freak" after his 4.42 40.

yea see I disagree with most of what you just said. All I kept hearing Mayock talk about was needing work on his hands and I agree..Also don't think he was very fluid at all today.
That's cool. I'm sure there are a bunch of different opinions out there about him. I see a guy who can sink his hips, has good change of direction, is a hands-catcher, and has breakaway speed. If you don't see that, then that's cool. You just have to, at some point, come to the realization that your eyes aren't as good as mine.

:ww:

Think my Lasik would disagree with ya :)
Well there ya go.

I never *needed* Lasiks.

photo.jpg

BOOM!

iced

X said:
Well there ya go.

I never *needed* Lasiks.

photo.jpg

BOOM!

Lol. Hey I was 20/30 or 20/40 but Lasik was offered for free since I was heading to the dessert - not like i'm gonna turn that down!

20/15 after the surgery :)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
iced said:
X said:
Well there ya go.

I never *needed* Lasiks.

photo.jpg

BOOM!

Lol. Hey I was 20/30 or 20/40 but Lasik was offered for free since I was heading to the dessert - not like i'm gonna turn that down!

20/15 after the surgery :)
Hell yeah. Gotta take advantage of THAT. My wife got it a few years ago too, and it did wonders for her.
Now she just walks around mumbling, "Can't believe that's what he really looks like. Crap."

Which, of course, is *not* cool. :cry:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
iced said:

I'll be happy if Patterson is our choice, but I've got to agree with you. I see some risk in him.

JUCO to Tenn... 778 receiving yards in 2012... A whole lot of projection going on with this player.

At WR that's risky business.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The way I saw it Goodwin was a stride faster, but really IF Austin is worth th 16, he's gonna be gone before that.
If we wanted to put our 22 with a third or a second to move up a few spots cuz we were inserious love with the guy,I could see it.
What are the two guys verts.
My guess is Austins is better , Goodwin looks faster when he gets in full stride Austin is IMO faster out of the blocks.
Goodwin seems to have a bit longer stride.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Take Patterson and Austin. Team em up w/ Chris Givens and Brian Quick hello.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thordaddy said:
The way I saw it Goodwin was a stride faster, but really IF Austin is worth th 16, he's gonna be gone before that.
If we wanted to put our 22 with a third or a second to move up a few spots cuz we were inserious love with the guy,I could see it.
What are the two guys verts.
My guess is Austins is better , Goodwin looks faster when he gets in full stride Austin is IMO faster out of the blocks.
Goodwin seems to have a bit longer stride.

As much as I like Austin, no way I'm trading up for anyone in this draft in the 1st round.

Austin might have gotten a bump today, but the size issue will still be there when the dust settles.

A lot of good players all bunched together (picks 10-30), no need to reach for one.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Trading up for Austin would be a huge mistake. He's likely there at 22 unless someone that can afford it trades up for him. We cannot afford it with the holes we still have on our roster. And again, I'm only on the "Austin" bandwagon if Amendola leaves.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'd take Patterson over Austin too, but love them both. Draft Lane Johnson, then Tavon Austin, after you don't re-sign Danny. My dream draft scenario with Patterson off the board.

bluecoconuts

Legend
DR RAM said:
I'd take Patterson over Austin too, but love them both. Draft Lane Johnson, then Tavon Austin, after you don't re-sign Danny. My dream draft scenario with Patterson off the board.

That's how I see it. If Johnson aint there, then Patterson probably will be, and he would essentially be an upgrade to Gibson (with Austin an upgrade to Amendola). If Patterson isn't there either than Vaccaro or Warmack is likely there, which also are positions of need and help out.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Going to have to respectively go against the grain here, Austin would be Seattle's and the 49rs worst nightmare. No way those tall CBs can cover him, and if they press...good luck, better not whiff tho.

If he's there at 22, I'd be all in.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
...Am I the only one who thinks that Da'Rick Rogers or Justin Hunter in the second round are more viable options than Austin? Don't get me wrong, I think Austin's a good prospect, but I question the value of a slot receiver who cannot play the outside with our first round pick. Remember, people were saying the same things about McCluster (a similar player skill-wise). They even have a similar background (running back-turned-wideout).

We need help on the outside much more than in the slot. Worst-case scenario, we can utilize Givens' speed and Pettis' hands in the slot. But we still don't have that true number one. Can we afford to use a valuable first round pick on a slot receiver?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Memento said:
...Am I the only one who thinks that Da'Rick Rogers or Justin Hunter in the second round are more viable options than Austin? Don't get me wrong, I think Austin's a good prospect, but I question the value of a slot receiver who cannot play the outside with our first round pick. Remember, people were saying the same things about McCluster (a similar player skill-wise). They even have a similar background (running back-turned-wideout).

We need help on the outside much more than in the slot. Worst-case scenario, we can utilize Givens' speed and Pettis' hands in the slot. But we still don't have that true number one. Can we afford to use a valuable first round pick on a slot receiver?
There is a ton of value in the second and third round for wide receivers this year. I see your point.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Memento said:

I don't agree with the McCluster comparisons. He was never the receiver in college Tavon was. Tavon is a much better overall prospect imo, but that still doesn't detract from your point, which is a good one. Is the team that is drafting him planning on using him, or viewing him as "just a slot" receiver? That's the question.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Username said:
Memento said:

I don't agree with the McCluster comparisons. He was never the receiver in college Tavon was. Tavon is a much better overall prospect imo, but that still doesn't detract from your point, which is a good one. Is the team that is drafting him planning on using him, or viewing him as "just a slot" receiver? That's the question.
McCluster ran a 4.58 40. He was quick and i see the comparison. Tavon is in a class of his own, because he's quick AND fast. He's like a mix of Steve Smith of the Panthers, very close size/speed comparison coming out, but he has some Barry Sanders in him. Steve Smith is the only smallish outside receiver that I can think of that has had a great career outside of the slot.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I get the McCluster comparison, and maybe that pushes Austin down?

But I see more Faulk/Sanders when the ball in his hands than McCluster.

In addition; Austin is built. He might be small, but he looks made for the NFL to me.

Hram

UDFA
jap said:
iced said:

Other receivers, like Robert Wood, looked so much more natural. At the end of the day, we need football players---not track & field guys.

I think I'd take Woods, Wheaton or one of the other ones in the 2nd round and call that good at the WR position.