Tavon Austin (4.25 40?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
CGI_Ram said:
I'm taking Austin at 16.

Ertz at 22.

Instant offense! Problem: solved.

:shock:

citizen-kane-clapping.gif

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
X said:
libertadrocks said:
I like Tavon Austin, he is a playmaker, but I think 16 might still be a reach for him. 20-30 is about right.

Ultimately he is a complementary space player. He isnt a guy that will line up and dominate outside the numbers. That's what teams like in the first round. You also have to consider the other options in this draft. It is very deep on the defensive side of the ball. Along the o-line too. Those are premium positions when compared to a slot WR.
But there's the rub. The Rams have 16 and 22. What if they really covet the guy?

16 is where they'll have to get him according to your rankings. Again *IF* they really want him, do they take a chance he makes it past Pittsburgh, Dallas, New York, Chicago, and Cincinnati? Never mind other teams trading up to nab him somewhere between 16 and 22.

One last thought about where he ranks. How would we feel if he ended up in, say, Arizona?

If he ended up anywhere within the division I would puke. Don't want to have to defend that twice a year.
That's the tough part and I hate to be Fish or Snead. Austin, Patterson, Hunter and so on. There are some really good options this year. Who knows, with all the WR's showing well it could help another great OL or safety slip to us as well. It's going to be a very interesting draft this year. I can't wait!
In my perfect world I would hope for Warmack or Cooper at 16 and Austin or Patterson at 22. Probably not likely but a guy can dream. I'm wondering if Snead would even use future picks to move up if they think "their" guy won't make it to us. Who knows.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
den-the-coach said:
CGI_Ram said:
I'm taking Austin at 16.

Ertz at 22.

Instant offense! Problem: solved.

:shock:

16? :shock: Okay can he block?

I'd rather get Sam a Warmack, than an Austin, and take my pick in the 2nd and 3rd rounds at WR

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
libertadrocks said:
Out of curiosity, would any of you on the Austin bandwagon prefer him to Patterson?
If Amendola comes back, we won't need Austin (as much). Ergo, I'd take Patterson.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
libertadrocks said:
Out of curiosity, would any of you on the Austin bandwagon prefer him to Patterson?

That's tough. They both can be or are dynamic players. I'm an Austin homer just because he is so damn shifty and obviously silly fast. If I was in a dream I would take them both :cheese:
Right now slight nod to Austin for me. I'm just hoping we can get one of them. We need playmakers, period.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
X said:
libertadrocks said:
If Amendola comes back, we won't need Austin (as much). Ergo, I'd take Patterson.

See I prefer Paterson, regardless of what happens with Amendola. A dynamic outside WR tumps an inside one IMO. Especially in a run first scheme

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
Username said:
Holy shit is there a video up yet?
Page 2 of this thread.

lol awesome thanks.

Here's a new line of thought. What if Danny comes back, but Jackson doesn't? Could Tavon help there?

Will we use Tavon out of the backfield on more than 3rd downs? I have no problem with Tavon @ 16 if most of these guys we think will be gone will.

4.25 fucking 40 is .01 off from tying Chris Johnson. I would love to see the Rams take this kid and give him his own section of the playbook. I would have his ass motioning all over the field, and getting the ball from everywhere. Perfect attitude for this team too.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
NFLN now saying 4.34 was Austin's official time. Goodwin official was 4.27.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
interference said:
Kinda strange. When they superimposed Goodwin on top of Austin, they were in exactly the same place, stride for stride, throughout the whole 40 yards. Still. 4.3 is nothing to laugh at in the 40. Goodwin could run a 4.19 and it still wouldn't put him anywhere near the 1st or 2nd round.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think I would take him at 22 if Amendola leaves. If he doesn't, I probably don't take him. I like him, but I don't want to force it. If Amendola leaves, you need to replace him with someone who can do what Austin does. There's good depth at WR. There's also good depth at O-Line.

Honestly if all the good O-Linemen/Vaccaro are gone, I'd consider taking Patterson at 16 and Austin at 22... Playmakers on offense are important, we need guys that will get open and make plays. There's O-Line depth there, and we can get a pretty solid S in the 3rd. Go O-Line in 2nd and 4th, still a good draft. If Rok comes back healthy, we only really need an upgrade at RT. At least for now, it's a process.

*Edit*
Say Amendola and Gibson leaves.... That gives us Quick, Patterson, Givens, Austin on the field, with Pettis an option as well. Plus Richardson/Pead are options. That's a lot of speed and quickness to defend, and would probably cause defenses fits.

sloramfan

Starter
just give me the guy that catches the ball better than the other guy...

go rams

slo

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
interference said:
Kinda strange. When they superimposed Goodwin on top of Austin, they were in exactly the same place, stride for stride, throughout the whole 40 yards. Still. 4.3 is nothing to laugh at in the 40. Goodwin could run a 4.19 and it still wouldn't put him anywhere near the 1st or 2nd round.
NFLN were just discussing this very pt. Mayock said that only the finish time is electronic, with the time started manually via the press of a button. Hence, i don't think they bought the official numbers.

iced

I really don't want Patterson. I don't understand what the love is for the guy - he's talented but not definitely not a top WR in this class. Doesn't jump off tape or impress me

jap

Legend
iced said:
I really don't want Patterson. I don't understand what the love is for the guy - he's talented but not definitely not a top WR in this class. Doesn't jump off tape or impress me

Other receivers, like Robert Wood, looked so much more natural. At the end of the day, we need football players---not track & field guys.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
iced said:
He's a very fluid receiver with a good stride, good speed, good hands and good size. Still a little too raw for early consideration (IMO), but he absolutely jumps off on tape for *me*. Doesn't mean everyone sees it the same way, but I could see him having a highly productive career. Personally, I think Brian Quick can be every bit as good, if not better.

FWIW, Mayock called him "Officially a freak" after his 4.42 40.

iced

X said:
iced said:
He's a very fluid receiver with a good stride, good speed, good hands and good size. Still a little too raw for early consideration (IMO), but he absolutely jumps off on tape for *me*. Doesn't mean everyone sees it the same way, but I could see him having a highly productive career. Personally, I think Brian Quick can be every bit as good, if not better.

yea see I disagree with most of what you just said. All I kept hearing Mayock talk about was needing work on his hands and I agree..Also don't think he was very fluid at all today.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
iced said:
X said:
iced said:

yea see I disagree with most of what you just said. All I kept hearing Mayock talk about was needing work on his hands and I agree..Also don't think he was very fluid at all today.
That's cool. I'm sure there are a bunch of different opinions out there about him. I see a guy who can sink his hips, has good change of direction, is a hands-catcher, and has breakaway speed. If you don't see that, then that's cool. You just have to, at some point, come to the realization that your eyes aren't as good as mine.

:ww: