Tavon Austin (4.25 40?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
libertadrocks said:
X said:
libertadrocks said:
Out of curiosity, would any of you on the Austin bandwagon prefer him to Patterson?
If Amendola comes back, we won't need Austin (as much). Ergo, I'd take Patterson.

See I prefer Paterson, regardless of what happens with Amendola. A dynamic outside WR tumps an inside one IMO. Especially in a run first scheme

Not that durability has been an issue for Austin, but I'd be more comfortable about Patterson's large frame being able to hold up in the NFL

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
rams24/7 said:
libertadrocks said:
X said:
libertadrocks said:
Out of curiosity, would any of you on the Austin bandwagon prefer him to Patterson?
If Amendola comes back, we won't need Austin (as much). Ergo, I'd take Patterson.

See I prefer Paterson, regardless of what happens with Amendola. A dynamic outside WR tumps an inside one IMO. Especially in a run first scheme

Not that durability has been an issue for Austin, but I'd be more comfortable about Patterson's large frame being able to hold up in the NFL

I think that's the popular opinion on Austin. He will fall into the teens for this reason.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Jonathan Cooper
Tavon Austin
Robert Woods
Bacarri Rambo
Shawn Williams
Playoffs

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
HitStick said:
Jonathan Cooper
Tavon Austin
Robert Woods
Bacarri Rambo
Shawn Williams
Playoffs

I'd take that!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
HitStick said:
Jonathan Cooper
Tavon Austin
Robert Woods
Bacarri Rambo
Shawn Williams
Playoffs

I'm not sold on any of your first 4 picks except for Austin. Not sure if the athletic Jonathan Cooper fits what we're trying to do in STL. He fits more of a zone blocking scheme and isn't as powerful as Warmack or Warford. I'd much rather have a mauler like Warmack or Warford.

Woods is a good route runner, but I fail to see anything else special on tape. He doesn't have blazing speed, isn't much of a deep threat, is easily tackled on many occasions, and is simply overrated in my mind.

And Rambo has as many positives as negatives. I'd much rather add a safety in free agency, which has a great class this year.

Not that these guys are terrible, they have great potential. I just think there are better picks we can make to strengthen our team

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like some people have joined me on the Tavon Austin bandwagon. :sly:

Tavon is going to be great somewhere. He's more than just a slot WR. He's the ultimate mismatch. He's a flanker, slot WR, scatback, KR and PR.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
jrry32 said:

Tavon is going to be great somewhere. He's more than just a slot WR. He's the ultimate mismatch. He's a flanker, slot WR, scatback, KR and PR.

I hope Les Snead & Jeff Fisher get on that bandwagon IF they haven't done so already!

jap

Legend
paceram said:
jrry32 said:

I hope Les Snead & Jeff Fisher get on that bandwagon IF they haven't done so already!

They won't tip their hand. In fact, they just might indulge in some misdirection.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:

I can see how some people might be reluctant to pull the trigger on drafting him high. He could be (and should be) a game-changer, but we could also impact some other positions and do just as well. Maybe he's the next Dante Hall? If so, that's great. But what did he really do for the Chiefs?

F. Mulder

Starter
I'm on the TA bandwagon but am struggling with 16th vs sweating out 22 as the pick. I think they go some combo of OL and WR in rd 1 and look for safety in rd 2.

A couple of sidenotes:

As has been reported throughout-this is a very nice and deep safety class. You easily could be looking at getting a starting safety into the early 3rd round. I'm not saying they should do that or they will, I'm just saying it looks to be at least 8-10 players deep.

I think by the middle/late part of rd 2 you are looking at projects at OL vs guys who can start right away. Nothing wrong with a project but if you are looking at a starting Guard or Tackle you better have him picked by the 2nd rd.

The RB class is very "unsexy". They seemed all bunched together and I think a RB maybe ranked 3rd best may do as well as someone ranked 10th. There are some "second-level" guys like Taylor (despite his poor combine) and Franklin who can be productive pros.

The WR class is also bunched. IF there is a way to get a WR early I'd love to see them double back and consider another one in the early 4th. Off the top of my head you have Patterson, Hunter, Austin, Bailey, Woods, Allen, Rogers, Patton, Wheaton, Williams all mentoned between the 1st and 2nd and then you add guys like Harper, Goodwin, Swopes, Hamilton, the WR from Duke, etc and you have some potential value in the mid-rounds.

Finally, this isn't directed at any poster or actual NFL draft analyst but i always love how player X will be gone by the first round. You have guys who have OLs as sure fire first rounders (Joeckle, Fisher, Warmack, Johnson, Cooper, - and then guys being possibly added in Watson, B. Jones), you have sure first round DTs in (Floyd, Richardson, Hankins, Star (still with health issue?) as well as some who have Short in there. You have Jarvis Jones and Dion Jordan, Ogletree, etc. You have Wrs like Patterson, Allen, Austin... Safeties like Vaccaro, Elam, etc. TE's like Ertz, Eifert, Escobar?. The POINT is that they ALL aren't going in the first. You are going to get a "first-round" talent well into the middle of the second. DON'T PANIC Rams. If anything trade down from 22 into the 2nd for a few more picks. I hope they don't trade UP!

Sorry about the ramble.

iced

In case anyone hasn't seen it...

Austin shredding Oklahoma's defense (#12 at the time) -

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxzPryPMB74" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxzPryPMB74</a>

Things I liked -

-The first catch. You don't have to have height or a big body to get separation - and this catch reminded me of Amendola's 88 yarder vs SF in OT that was called back thanks to Gibson's bone head play. And just as important, it was a deep pass (something people question him about)

-His elusiveness. You can see it all throughout any of his film.This clip shows it well at times, especially his acceleration and speed (1:10 mark)

- Lol loved hearing "You're not supposed to be able to do that!", "NO!"

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
F. Mulder said:
I'm on the TA bandwagon but am struggling with 16th vs sweating out 22 as the pick. I think they go some combo of OL and WR in rd 1 and look for safety in rd 2.

A couple of sidenotes:

As has been reported throughout-this is a very nice and deep safety class. You easily could be looking at getting a starting safety into the early 3rd round. I'm not saying they should do that or they will, I'm just saying it looks to be at least 8-10 players deep.

I think by the middle/late part of rd 2 you are looking at projects at OL vs guys who can start right away. Nothing wrong with a project but if you are looking at a starting Guard or Tackle you better have him picked by the 2nd rd.

The RB class is very "unsexy". They seemed all bunched together and I think a RB maybe ranked 3rd best may do as well as someone ranked 10th. There are some "second-level" guys like Taylor (despite his poor combine) and Franklin who can be productive pros.

The WR class is also bunched. IF there is a way to get a WR early I'd love to see them double back and consider another one in the early 4th. Off the top of my head you have Patterson, Hunter, Austin, Bailey, Woods, Allen, Rogers, Patton, Wheaton, Williams all mentoned between the 1st and 2nd and then you add guys like Harper, Goodwin, Swopes, Hamilton, the WR from Duke, etc and you have some potential value in the mid-rounds.

Finally, this isn't directed at any poster or actual NFL draft analyst but i always love how player X will be gone by the first round. You have guys who have OLs as sure fire first rounders (Joeckle, Fisher, Warmack, Johnson, Cooper, - and then guys being possibly added in Watson, B. Jones), you have sure first round DTs in (Floyd, Richardson, Hankins, Star (still with health issue?) as well as some who have Short in there. You have Jarvis Jones and Dion Jordan, Ogletree, etc. You have Wrs like Patterson, Allen, Austin... Safeties like Vaccaro, Elam, etc. TE's like Ertz, Eifert, Escobar?. The POINT is that they ALL aren't going in the first. You are going to get a "first-round" talent well into the middle of the second. DON'T PANIC Rams. If anything trade down from 22 into the 2nd for a few more picks. I hope they don't trade UP!

Sorry about the ramble.

Good post Mulder. I don't want a trade up either.

I'm cool with a trade down, but in that case I want as many as possible inside round 2.

It feels like too much sacrifice beyond round 2.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jrry32 said:

It's turning into Tavon Austin ON DEMAND around here!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
My Jaw is now stuck to the floor...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxzPryPMB74[/youtube]

I'm on this bandwagon, for sure. I just hope TA is still there at 16.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
interference said:

At around 1:10 he just shot by everyone like they werent there!! Jesus christ!! We need this dude

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
fastcat said:
interference said:

At around 1:10 he just shot by everyone like they werent there!! Jesus christ!! We need this dude

I agree! I am beginning to wonder if Austin will still be available at #16!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
His stats for that game equal/improve many of our receivers season stats from the past few seasons!

Simba

Rookie
Were these Okla-sooners an acceptable team?I am thinking, maybe to play against the ex Bradford's team was not so difficult ...

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Simba said:
Were these Okla-sooners an acceptable team?I am thinking, maybe to play against the ex Bradford's team was not so difficult ...
Don't know specific stats about OU's D, but my understanding is that OU was ranked 12th in the Nation at the time.

Here's a little more... he just runs away from everyone.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb_gTOCuwek[/youtube]

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm worried about him making it to 16 too... but only because I've got this ridiculous crush and desire for weapons.

But; this draft is very top heavy with serious defensive line and to some degree OL talent... his size should push him down.