St. Louis Rams: Bringing Back Bradford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Dude, bradford hasn't started a real game in over a year right now. To think he'll come back and light it up is a bit crazy. He might be better than what we have now, but we still need to look at more options in the offseason.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
That one player can make a huge difference. 9-0? No. But I think we'd at least be 5-4.
Exactly my point. Some people just don't get it. A healthy Bradford is much better than anything we have going now.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I'd welcome Bradford back with open arms if he'll take the paycut (which I'm sure he will). It's just a matter of his agent shutting the freak up in negotiations, he has no leverage with Bradford's injury risk. We still need a rookie QB at the helm though (Hundley, Hogan, and Mannion look like guys who can sit back and develop or start if Bradford gets injured because I doubt this team is in range for Mariota or Winston)
I agree with you 100% Worst case, Bradford is injured again (probable) or doesn't perform well (I doubt this) and Davis/Hill or our Rookie takes over. Best case, Bradford comes back and thrives, thus making him a huge trade chip.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
A "healthy Bradford" is the biggest oxymoron imaginable. Missing half his games over five years isn't enough to drive home the point? How many limbs does he have to ruin before some people understand that he can't hold up in the NFL?

We can't plan the future of the franchise on a guy who will be lucky to give us five healthy starts next season. Even if he starts 16 games in 2015... what are the odds that he does it against in 2016? 2017? 2018? 2019?...ect.

Davis sucks. Bradford is made of glass. We need another answer entirely.
Who said anything about planning the future with Bradford? You bring him back because he will be your best starting option at QB next year unless he is outshined by the rookie, and this is assuming Bradford takes the pay cut. If he doesn't, then adios. If he stays healthy at a reduced rate, then what? Exactly.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is supposition and not a conversation we should be having

I don't see why not. It's a painful conversation and conjecture but I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that we beat AT LEAST Dallas and Arizona with a healthy Sam Bradford.

Hell, we might have even beaten San Francisco(first game) or Philly.

This is a different team with better QB play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd welcome Bradford back with open arms if he'll take the paycut (which I'm sure he will). It's just a matter of his agent shutting the freak up in negotiations, he has no leverage with Bradford's injury risk. We still need a rookie QB at the helm though (Hundley, Hogan, and Mannion look like guys who can sit back and develop or start if Bradford gets injured because I doubt this team is in range for Mariota or Winston)

I think at this point, we need to convince Bradford to take a pay cut. Because the options in the draft are really questionable. But we need to have a Plan B ready. A better Plan B than we had this year. Whether that's a rookie QB or a FA signing like Kyle Orton.(like Orton...not necessarily Orton)

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
I think at this point, we need to convince Bradford to take a pay cut. Because the options in the draft are really questionable. But we need to have a Plan B ready. A better Plan B than we had this year. Whether that's a rookie QB or a FA signing like Kyle Orton.(like Orton...not necessarily Orton)
Won't happen.We gave up 6 sacks.Davis cracked under pressure and no quarterback can continue under those circumstances.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Won't happen.We gave up 6 sacks.Davis cracked under pressure and no quarterback can continue under those circumstances.

Agreed, we have zero leverage to take money out of his pocket. If he stays healthy all year, anything not IR, he'll get a health based extension. Shoot, I think he's gonna get an extension based on health, anyway.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

There are a good deal of QBs that could have handled the circumstances well today for the Rams.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Agreed, we have zero leverage to take money out of his pocket. If he stays healthy all year, anything not IR, he'll get a health based extension. Shoot, I think he's gonna get an extension based on health, anyway.
Are you talking about Bradford here? Rams have zero leverage? How do you figure that?
The Rams certainly have some leverage.

An extension based on health...? Lack of health i'm assuming right? I'm confused Mr St Louis.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Are you talking about Bradford here? Rams have zero leverage? How do you figure that?

An extension based on health...? Lack of health i'm assuming right? I'm confused Mr St Louis.

Yes, Sam has leverage on us because we have no option better than him, talent wise. I see what you're saying, now.

Play or don't get paid contract.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the rams have zero leverage. They have nothing at qb. The more games Davis plays their leverage goes into negative territory.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
the rams have zero leverage. They have nothing at qb. The more games Davis plays their leverage goes into negative territory.

The Rams have the leverage that NOBODY is going to pay Bradford the figure on his contract, so as long as he's going to take a paycut anyway, he might as well stay here and do it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, Sam has leverage on us because we have no option better than him, talent wise. I see what you're saying, now.

Play or don't get paid contract.

Bradford has leverage but we also have leverage. With him coming off two torn ACLs, who knows what he'll get on the open market. He might only get a prove it deal at like ~$5 mil a year.

The Rams do have leverage to ask him to take a pay cut because I don't think any team is going to give him $10 mil a year. Bradford is set to get paid a base salary of around $13 million next year. I think Bradford's market value estimate is likely in the $7 million range with his injuries. Could be less, could be more.

So logic would dictate that if the Rams want to keep him but don't want to pay him $13 million and Bradford wants to stay but also doesn't want to get paid less than his perceived market value...the pay cut they could bargain for would be between $7 million and $13 million.

This is line of logic is similar to the Coase Theorem for all those economists out there. ;)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams have the leverage that NOBODY is going to pay Bradford the figure on his contract, so as long as he's going to take a paycut anyway, he might as well stay here and do it.

I'm sure his agent will snoop around and work out if there is a market out there for sam before they start talking about next season.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Bradford has leverage but we also have leverage. With him coming off two torn ACLs, who knows what he'll get on the open market. He might only get a prove it deal at like ~$5 mil a year.

The Rams do have leverage to ask him to take a pay cut because I don't think any team is going to give him $10 mil a year. Bradford is set to get paid a base salary of around $13 million next year. I think Bradford's market value estimate is likely in the $7 million range with his injuries. Could be less, could be more.

So logic would dictate that if the Rams want to keep him but don't want to pay him $13 million and Bradford wants to stay but also doesn't want to get paid less than his perceived market value...the pay cut they could bargain for would be between $7 million and $13 million.

This is line of logic is similar to the Coase Theorem for all those economists out there. ;)

I'm all for it if it works out like that. The money we'd save from him and Long could fetch a darn good OG like... IUPATI! Oh wouldn't that be sweet!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Totally disagree with you guys. It's not like Sam has been here throwing TD's, putting up Wins...or even been a "good" QB here in terms of other QB's around the league(with all due respect to Sam, who i like and think can be good). Add to that he is an absolute mess health-wise.
He's now a health project, as well as being a QB who hasn't quite put it all together on the field. Sorry, i just think any subjective view would take one to that contention. The Rams would be doing Sam a favor if they let him come back, be named the starter and play one more year under his current contract.

Everything changed once Sam re-injured his knee. He hasn't played in a game that matters since October of last season.

As far as the Rams having no leverage because we have nothing at QB?....Sam is part of that Nothing at QB right now. There is free agency, the draft, trades...Bradford holds NO ONE hostage right now. The Rams are in a position to DECIDE who they want to play QB in 2015.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Exactly. Sam is a guy that teams might want to "take a flyer on" at this point. I hope it's us. It's sad...it sucks, but i'm not sure how that isn't pretty clear.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

like i said, sam's agent will work out if there is a market out there for him. if there is then the rams will have to pay up. that is if they actually want him back. if there isn't then the rams will have leverage.

btw, dalton and cutler are getting $18m+ per year. $13m for sam is a freaking bargin if the rams feel his knee is good to go.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

I agree with this. We have Bradford who could very well be damaged goods and has yet to put it all together on the field after 5 seasons and who will carry a $16.5mil cap hit next season....an old backup in Hill.......and Davis who has shown that he isn't a franchise QB.

Oh and Keenum.

We have nothing right now i agree. I believe there might be better and most certainly smarter options than Bradford in 2015.
If Sam's agent looked me(Demoff) in the eyes and said "We'd like an extension..." i'd say sure, we're going to release your client and would be very willing and eager to pay him a one or two year, incentive laden Kenny Britt-type contract(for a QB). If he stays healthy and plays really well he's our franchise guy once again.

Sam is part of the problem in relation to our QB problem. The only way the Rams would hold no leverage is if free agency started tomorrow.