St. Louis Rams: Bringing Back Bradford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm all for it if it works out like that. The money we'd save from him and Long could fetch a darn good OG like... IUPATI! Oh wouldn't that be sweet!

I don't want Iupati. He's got injury issues and I think he's going to get overpaid. I want A.J. Cann from South Carolina.

But...I would love to see that money put to good use. Whether that be in FA or re-signing one of our own players.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I don't want Iupati. He's got injury issues and I think he's going to get overpaid. I want A.J. Cann from South Carolina.

But...I would love to see that money put to good use. Whether that be in FA or re-signing one of our own players.
Yep, we still have to re-sign Barksdale. I don't care where they come from, but we need a young, quality OG (maybe two) and Center.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep, we still have to re-sign Barksdale. I don't care where they come from, but we need a young, quality OG (maybe two) and Center.

I'm not sure we need a Center. I wish they'd give Barrett Jones a shot.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
[ think we need 2 guards and 1 center next year. We need younger stronger healthier players at those three positions. Maybe Saffold keeps his job, but make him earn it. QB needs to be addressed too, but an upgraded OL with a veteran like Orton or Bradford I think works better than a high round rookie QB with a line full of low round picks and bargain rack FAs. Bradford at 7 million per year wouldn't be awful.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
[ think we need 2 guards and 1 center next year. We need younger stronger healthier players at those three positions. Maybe Saffold keeps his job, but make him earn it. QB needs to be addressed too, but an upgraded OL with a veteran like Orton or Bradford I think works better than a high round rookie QB with a line full of low round picks and bargain rack FAs. Bradford at 7 million per year wouldn't be awful.
It appears as if other needs have been progressing, including the line.

Pressing needs appear to be at OL, and QB, maybe LB. There's no reason to believe that we won't, or can't address those next off season, and maybe some are already progressing on our roster.

We have played the best the NFC has to offer, and we have been in a position to win most.

We are close my friends, we are closer than we think. A few keys are still needed, and although big keys, not keys that are unreachable, or unrealistic.

We are close to, not only being good, but for being good for a long time. Have faith my brothers and sisters. Rams nation is coming to your town or country soon.

Trust me, or I'll let you kill me, in a gruesome way.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's about more than next year, though. And I don't see how it's mutually exclusive. We need one OG and MAYBE a Center in the STARTING line-up. With another OL as depth behind Saffold.

We can get a high round rookie QB and still address the OL.

While a veteran like Orton does some good, it still leaves us needing a QB. If we are to have a future, we need to address the QB position. Can Bradford be that guy? Sure. But you better have a darn good Plan B because it's hard to trust him right now.

Which is why I'd like to see us get a young QB and retain Sam if we can. A quality young QB...not a bargain basement developmental guy.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It's about more than next year, though. And I don't see how it's mutually exclusive. We need one OG and MAYBE a Center in the STARTING line-up. With another OL as depth behind Saffold.

We can get a high round rookie QB and still address the OL.

While a veteran like Orton does some good, it still leaves us needing a QB. If we are to have a future, we need to address the QB position. Can Bradford be that guy? Sure. But you better have a darn good Plan B because it's hard to trust him right now.

Which is why I'd like to see us get a young QB and retain Sam if we can. A quality young QB...not a bargain basement developmental guy.

Maybe a center? No, definitely a center. I don't see how anyone can watch our line play week after week and think that our weak, inconsistent push in the run game and our crumbling pockets are acceptable. AT least 2 starters plus better depth. It's strange how people are willing to can Bradford because of injury, but still trust that Barrett Jones will be a dependable rock.

I suppose we can get a high round QB and address the oline. The QB is coming out of a very weak QB class and the oline picks will be lower round since we probably will have to give up picks to move up high enough, so yeah we can address them. I don't think we do it very well this way but....

A veteran QB that plays well doesn't leave us needing a QB, it leaves us in a position where we don't have to draft question marks next year and can wait for a guy we would want in any year. Not just a year like this. The QBs in our division are a 3rd rounder, a 2nd, and a veteran QB former 1st that was given up on because of injury. The guy starting in Tenn is a 2nd, and his backup is a 1st. We don't need to give up picks now or in future years to move up in this weak class out of desperation. Change our run game into a top 10 run attack and this team would be in the hunt for the division and the playoffs with either Davis or Hill. Not to mention having a dominant oline would benefit the future QB development immensely.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe a center? No, definitely a center. I don't see how anyone can watch our line play week after week and think that our weak, inconsistent push in the run game and our crumbling pockets are acceptable. AT least 2 starters plus better depth. It's strange how people are willing to can Bradford because of injury, but still trust that Barrett Jones will be a dependable rock.

I don't necessarily trust Jones but I also am not ready to give up on him yet. Plus, Tim Barnes has proven to be valuable depth. Something we don't have at QB. Nor do I think it's necessary to point out the major difference between the Center and the QB positions in terms of importance.

I suppose we can get a high round QB and address the oline. The QB is coming out of a very weak QB class and the oline picks will be lower round since we probably will have to give up picks to move up high enough, so yeah we can address them. I don't think we do it very well this way but....

I think you're stating some uncertain things as if they're the only possibilities.

A veteran QB that plays well doesn't leave us needing a QB, it leaves us in a position where we don't have to draft question marks next year and can wait for a guy we would want in any year. Not just a year like this. The QBs in our division are a 3rd rounder, a 2nd, and a veteran QB former 1st that was given up on because of injury. The guy starting in Tenn is a 2nd, and his backup is a 1st. We don't need to give up picks now or in future years to move up in this weak class out of desperation. Change our run game into a top 10 run attack and this team would be in the hunt for the division and the playoffs with either Davis or Hill. Not to mention having a dominant oline would benefit the future QB development immensely.

Which may leave you year after year still looking for that guy. Nobody is saying trade up. Well, at least, I'm not. I don't know where you got that conclusion from. I am saying, though, that we need a Plan B. A young Plan B.

I don't just want to be good. I want to have a consistent winner...and the teams that consistently win usually have great QBs.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't necessarily trust Jones but I also am not ready to give up on him yet. Plus, Tim Barnes has proven to be valuable depth. Something we don't have at QB. Nor do I think it's necessary to point out the major difference between the Center and the QB positions in terms of importance.

I think you're stating some uncertain things as if they're the only possibilities.

Which may leave you year after year still looking for that guy. Nobody is saying trade up. Well, at least, I'm not. I don't know where you got that conclusion from. I am saying, though, that we need a Plan B. A young Plan B.

I don't just want to be good. I want to have a consistent winner...and the teams that consistently win usually have great QBs.

I agree with you that all things equal QB is more important. But between Bradford and Hill we have two guys are competent. With Wells and Barnes, we do not.

I'm just stating the opposite side of the QB/OL draft debate. Why is my opinion "uncertain things as if they are the only possibilities" and yours is not? It's all uncertain, and we are all just stating our opinions.

You may be looking for that guy no matter what you do. I assumed you're wanting Winston because you've been everything from his lawyer to his agent lately. You've talked about his arm talent and leadership in transcendent terms, comparing him pretty favorably to every recent draft pick from Luck to Bridgewater. And I think we'd have to burn draft picks to get him. I very much doubt I'm the only one who would come to that conclusion after being in the threads with you the last week. And that's not a put down or anything in any way. I don't want to be just good either. But you build a consistent winner by having a team in place that can support a young franchise pick. You don't put the cart before the horse and get the QB first. The Cardinals, Raiders, Browns, Jags and even the Rammies just a couple of years ago to my mind have proven this beyond a doubt. And you don't reach for a guy just because you need a young guy because everyone says so. The Jags, Bills, Redskins, Jets, Vikings, etc have proven this to me as well. . My opinion of the top 3 or 4 guys in this years draft isn't very favorable, so it's an easy choice for me to draft OL and LB, resign JB, and go forward with Bradford/Hill/maybe another veteran. Perhaps a guy will emerge that's a good chance in the low 1st/2nd round who will be who Snead likes, who knows.

So to sum up on the OP, yes I'm in favor of bringing Bradford back. I don't think he'll blink at a new one year $7 or $8 mil deal with incentives for PT.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with you that all things equal QB is more important. But between Bradford and Hill we have two guys are competent. With Wells and Barnes, we do not.

I don't agree with you.

I'm just stating the opposite side of the QB/OL draft debate. Why is my opinion "uncertain things as if they are the only possibilities" and yours is not? It's all uncertain, and we are all just stating our opinions.

The difference is the way in which you are stating scenarios. Everything is uncertain at this point so I have a hard time accepting your all or nothing scenario...if we draft a QB highly, we must trade up and won't be able to select OLs until the lower rounds. There's a difference between discussing options at this point and limiting options.

As I said before, addressing the QB position in the first round and still putting resources into repairing the OL are not mutually exclusive scenarios.

You may be looking for that guy no matter what you do. I assumed you're wanting Winston because you've been everything from his lawyer to his agent lately. You've talked about his arm talent and leadership in transcendent terms, comparing him pretty favorably to every recent draft pick from Luck to Bridgewater. And I think we'd have to burn draft picks to get him. I very much doubt I'm the only one who would come to that conclusion after being in the threads with you the last week. And that's not a put down or anything in any way. I don't want to be just good either. But you build a consistent winner by having a team in place that can support a young franchise pick. You don't put the cart before the horse and get the QB first. The Cardinals, Raiders, Browns, Jags and even the Rammies just a couple of years ago to my mind have proven this beyond a doubt. And you don't reach for a guy just because you need a young guy because everyone says so. The Jags, Bills, Redskins, Jets, Vikings, etc have proven this to me as well. . My opinion of the top 3 or 4 guys in this years draft isn't very favorable, so it's an easy choice for me to draft OL and LB, resign JB, and go forward with Bradford/Hill/maybe another veteran. Perhaps a guy will emerge that's a good chance in the low 1st/2nd round who will be who Snead likes, who knows.

Winston is one guy that I like. But he's not the only option.

I don't agree with you. Not having every position shored up before you take a QB is not putting the cart before the horse. This team is not the 2009 Rams. We have plenty of talent and not many needs left in the starting line-up(we do need depth). You say this has been proven beyond a doubt? I don't agree. The Colts, Panthers, Lions, Falcons, and Giants are all CURRENT examples of the contrary. And there are far more examples than just those teams if you go back further in the past.

There are many ways to build a consistent winner...but they usually involve a franchise QB. So if we don't get one this year...we gotta find one in the future. The better your team gets, the harder that is to do.

I also am curious as to how the Cardinals, Browns, and Raiders prove that. The Cardinals haven't drafted a QB highly since Matt Leinart and Kurt Warner did plenty well with the team they had in place...Leinart just wasn't a good QB. Raiders haven't drafted a QB highly since Russell...again, Russell was just a complete mess.(although the team did suck) The Browns haven't spent a top pick on a QB either. They settled for late first round picks like Brady Quinn and Brandon Weeden...guys who just weren't good picks. Derek Anderson almost led the Browns to the playoffs with Quinn's team.

If the point is that we need to draft a GOOD QB, sure. I don't think anyone disagrees. But I don't see how those teams lacked the personnel to make it work with a competent QB...now if you go back to Tim Couch...yea, the Browns definitely did. But again, there's a line in the sand. The 2009 Rams, the Couch Browns, the Carr Texans, and the current Jaguars...not good spots for a young QB. They just lack talent. It's why I thought the Jags should have given Bortles the year to develop on the bench. But we're not there anymore. We actually have talent. We just need a QB to help pull it all together.

So to sum up on the OP, yes I'm in favor of bringing Bradford back. I don't think he'll blink at a new one year $7 or $8 mil deal with incentives for PT.

I think he might. If he's going to take that sort of deal, I think he's going to demand 2 years with guarantees in the second year. If I were his agent, I'd do that. But we shall see.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If/when Fisher is back, and Bradford accepts a reasonable deal, I could see this happening. And by reasonable, I mean open market value, nothing more. I dont think though that if Bradford is back with Fish that they draft a QB early.
If the Rams have to make a HC change down the road, they need to be in a postion to let the new HC pick his own QB. Otherwise the vicous cycle continues over and over

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I for one freaking miss having Bradford out there!!! There will not be any better options out there next season. Now they need a credible back up just in case he gets hurt again but he is the rams best chance to win next season.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't agree with you.

The difference is the way in which you are stating scenarios. Everything is uncertain at this point so I have a hard time accepting your all or nothing scenario...if we draft a QB highly, we must trade up and won't be able to select OLs until the lower rounds. There's a difference between discussing options at this point and limiting options.

As I said before, addressing the QB position in the first round and still putting resources into repairing the OL are not mutually exclusive scenarios.

Winston is one guy that I like. But he's not the only option.

I don't agree with you. Not having every position shored up before you take a QB is not putting the cart before the horse. This team is not the 2009 Rams. We have plenty of talent and not many needs left in the starting line-up(we do need depth). You say this has been proven beyond a doubt? I don't agree. The Colts, Panthers, Lions, Falcons, and Giants are all CURRENT examples of the contrary. And there are far more examples than just those teams if you go back further in the past.

There are many ways to build a consistent winner...but they usually involve a franchise QB. So if we don't get one this year...we gotta find one in the future. The better your team gets, the harder that is to do.

I also am curious as to how the Cardinals, Browns, and Raiders prove that. The Cardinals haven't drafted a QB highly since Matt Leinart and Kurt Warner did plenty well with the team they had in place...Leinart just wasn't a good QB. Raiders haven't drafted a QB highly since Russell...again, Russell was just a complete mess.(although the team did suck) The Browns haven't spent a top pick on a QB either. They settled for late first round picks like Brady Quinn and Brandon Weeden...guys who just weren't good picks. Derek Anderson almost led the Browns to the playoffs with Quinn's team.

If the point is that we need to draft a GOOD QB, sure. I don't think anyone disagrees. But I don't see how those teams lacked the personnel to make it work with a competent QB...now if you go back to Tim Couch...yea, the Browns definitely did. But again, there's a line in the sand. The 2009 Rams, the Couch Browns, the Carr Texans, and the current Jaguars...not good spots for a young QB. They just lack talent. It's why I thought the Jags should have given Bortles the year to develop on the bench. But we're not there anymore. We actually have talent. We just need a QB to help pull it all together.

I think he might. If he's going to take that sort of deal, I think he's going to demand 2 years with guarantees in the second year. If I were his agent, I'd do that. But we shall see.

We aren't going to agree at all. I think the 1st part of your response is putting words in my mouth I didn't say or imply. We're stating our opinions the exact same way. My "scenario" isn't all or nothing, anymore than yours is. I simply think the interior OL is critical to get replaced, and not just with afterthoughts or gimpy, creaky older vets looking for a retirement fund.

As for your list of teams, I think they mostly make my point about not reaching for weak QBs, or drafting QBs before the team is ready. If you can't win the LOS regularly in the run game or keep a clean pocket passing, your team isn't ready. Those examples don't refute what I'm saying at all.

We can still find a franchise QB in the 2016 draft, and if we fix the OL, make the playoffs in 2015. We'll be in a much better spot to make a move up for a guy we really want, not just a guy who was available when we were desperate. Given a fair shot I think Bradford or even Hill could beat any one of those 1st round guys easily in TC, so to my mind finding a franchise guy in this draft isn't critical.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I'm not sure we need a Center. I wish they'd give Barrett Jones a shot.
I would love to see Barrett Jones get a shot, but if they don't give it to him would you guys feel comfortable at the C position without adding someone else not knowing what we have in Jones? We're talking an upgrade over Wells, not a jag.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We aren't going to agree at all. I think the 1st part of your response is putting words in my mouth I didn't say or imply. We're stating our opinions the exact same way. My "scenario" isn't all or nothing, anymore than yours is. I simply think the interior OL is critical to get replaced, and not just with afterthoughts or gimpy, creaky older vets looking for a retirement fund.

That's what you said. I didn't put words in your mouth.

We can address the OL and draft a QB early. It's very possible.

As for your list of teams, I think they mostly make my point about not reaching for weak QBs, or drafting QBs before the team is ready. If you can't win the LOS regularly in the run game or keep a clean pocket passing, your team isn't ready. Those examples don't refute what I'm saying at all.

Except all those teams took QBs when they were very bad. All but the Falcons took their QB with the #1 overall pick. As far as the bold is concerned, the Lions, Colts, and Panthers absolutely could not do that when they selected their QBs. Hell, the Panthers and Colts still can't do it.

We can still find a franchise QB in the 2016 draft, and if we fix the OL, make the playoffs in 2015. We'll be in a much better spot to make a move up for a guy we really want, not just a guy who was available when we were desperate. Given a fair shot I think Bradford or even Hill could beat any one of those 1st round guys easily in TC, so to my mind finding a franchise guy in this draft isn't critical.

If we make the playoffs, we're going to have to give up an arm and a leg to move up to draft a QB. Either that or we draft a guy in the late 1st round. I don't think that's a better scenario. Especially considering we have no idea what QBs will be available next year.

And you're way overrating Hill imo. I don't know what he's shown to inspire that sort of confidence.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I disagree with the contention that Bradford has never put it together. Last year he FINALLY had a few players that were starting to come around with him. Other than 2013 the offense has been nothing but garbage linemen and rookies. Sam's first couple of years he had a declining SJ39 but still no line and garbage receivers.

Sam was on his way to career marks with rookies and second year guys catching his passes last year 14 TD and 4 Int through 6+ games. If they had fixed the Oline two years ago AD would not be getting shell shocked.

The biggest problem with this offense has been the failure to develop the young players they have drafted for the O line. It is time to dedicate the picks and money to getting it right.

Boudreau is supposed to be a genius Oline coach it is time to see the production so far he and the Oline have been about the biggest disappointment from this regime for me.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't see why not. It's a painful conversation and conjecture but I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that we beat AT LEAST Dallas and Arizona with a healthy Sam Bradford.

Hell, we might have even beaten San Francisco(first game) or Philly.

This is a different team with better QB play.

So 2-4 more wins with Bradford you mean?

This is also a better team with even average defense for the first 6 game..... I wonder how many.

So feel free to spread the wealth hahaha

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If/when Fisher is back, and Bradford accepts a reasonable deal, I could see this happening. And by reasonable, I mean open market value, nothing more. I dont think though that if Bradford is back with Fish that they draft a QB early.
If the Rams have to make a HC change down the road, they need to be in a postion to let the new HC pick his own QB. Otherwise the vicous cycle continues over and over

Open market value for Bradford would be very very little