St. Louis Rams: Bringing Back Bradford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/11/8/7178051/st-louis-rams-bringing-back-bradford

By misone@MightyOrMisone on Nov 8 2014, 4:18p 29

20141026_tcb_sm8_005.JPG.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Good news for Sam Bradford on his 27th birthday; the way the college and NFL seasons are shaping up, it now appears the Rams' best options at Quarterback for the 2015 season are already on the roster.

 TWEET (12) SHARE (175)  SHARE 29 COMMENTS
The Rams appear to be nothing more than a consistent quarterback away from being a very good team. There are a lot of plays being left on the field on Sundays, and the vast majority can be attributed to quarterback play.

This is not to say Austin Davis has not been really good (at times). But he is merely a solid stop gap QB. He is someone that if he wanted could stay in this league for the next 12 yrs, but it would be as a back-up, with a few opportunities to start sprinkled in. Once he hits his prime, he will probably develop into a solid 6 win QB. Meaning if he starts 16 games regularly you will have enough plays left on the field (physical limitations not mental) that it will be hard to win games that require specific passing game plans.

But Sam Bradford can win those games. Now, I am the same person that said in May, if Bradford suffers another injury the Rams will have to leave him go. But only a fool will cut ties with a talent like that without a viable option to step in. The fact is, so far - and there is still half a season to be played - there has not been the usual back-up comes in and shows what he has, but heads to free agency and someone gives him a chance (Matt Flynn, Matt Schabb, Nick Foles, etc) moment. It is looking like the Quarterback market will be very dry this off-season.

As for the draft, well the pickings are slim. Also, this Rams team is good enough to win 6-7 games without a viable option at quarterback. Which means no matter what, they are likely to play themselves out of position to draft a top 5 talent. In my opinion the best quarterback in the country is Jameis Winston. Marcus Mariota gets a lot of attention and hype, but I'm not buying it. I trust my eyes more than someone's opinion. I don't see a franchise QB when I see Mariota, I simply see a player benefiting from an excellent system. And 6'4" 212 lbs is not prototype nor imposing size, but rather a tall, lanky, kid.

Winston on the other hand (6'4" 230 lbs) has it all. He has the arm strength, the accuracy, understanding of route concepts, reads defenses, poise, clutch, pro style, mobile, strong, tough, maintains composure, pocket presence, etc... But his most impressive trait is his on-field leadership. The fire and passion he plays with burns through his teammates with every word he speaks. He got an entire team to buy into him only a few weeks into the season as a freshman. He's very vocal and respected, even with the off field issues, his teammates still shut up and listen when he speaks (seniors included). That takes a special kind of leader. He also works hard. He spent six hours watching film with Florida State back up Sean Maguire, to help him prepare for the game against Clemson during Winston's suspension.

I love this video because it shows his composure and poise. The kid simply does not get rattled, he has the that killer instinct you look for in all athletes...

The issue is I am not believing that he will enter the draft this off-season. He's smarter than he gets credit for and probably will stay to rebuild his reputation. He also loves the college life and that is very clear. While he could go on to the next level today and have an impact, his heart is still all in with Florida State.

So where does this leave the Rams?

With little options available the team will have to make a decision, and sooner than later. Jeff Fisher is not going anywhere this off-season. Maybe after the 2015 season if the current return of investment maintains its pace we can talk about that, but for now he's safe. He has a lot of say so in football operations and that doesn't look to change either. Fisher is not the type to take a QB just because one is needed. He has to be all in.

Which brings me to my point. He is definitely all in on Bradford. He proved that already. Not only did he take the job because of the opportunity to work with him, but he also refused to draft another QB in the early rounds. It seems likely the team will bring in some competition/insurance (via either draft or free agency), and enter next years camp with Bradford, Davis, Garrett Gilbert, and the new comer.

Of course this would mean Bradford will have re-signed with the team. No way Bradford comes back at his current $12.985mil 2015 salary. It seems 100% feasible he may return on a restructured deal slightly less than half of that of about $6 million. Of course something in the neighborhood of 70% of that total is going to be tied to a plethora of playing time incentives.

The simple fact is the Rams' hands are tied. With the exception of Winston, there just aren't any quarterbacks truly separating themselves from the pack. With the pickings being as thin as they are, it wouldn't make much sense to bring in an average or below average player to learn a new system and hope he leads the team to the post-season.

The best option is to bring back both Sam Bradford and Austin Davis - both have spent an equal amount of time in the system and know it as well as the supporting cast extremely well - Garrett Gilbert, and some competition/insurance, and look for better options the following year. In other words, as crazy as it sounds, Bradford still gives this team their best chance to win.

Happy Birthday Sammy!!!

POLL
On a scale of 1-10, how upset would you be to see Sam Bradford as the Rams starting quarterback come week one of the 2015 season?
  • 50%1-3 not really mad at all(198 votes)

• 28%4-6 mixed feelings/on the fence(109 votes)

• 12%7-9 not thrilled to say the least(47 votes)

• 10%10 PISSED!!!(41 votes)
395 votes total

- I really think the tide will starting leaning towards Sam coming back next year. I think too many people just want to see what he can do with this offense behind a SOLID offensive line. which we can definitely solidify in the offseason. just give me one season Sam, just one.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The title of the article/thread is missing a question-mark, no?
thats actually the exact title of the article from TST. i think the author wanted to make it a statement lol

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He apparently doesn't realize Gilbert is no longer with the team.

I understand it's easy to miss the doings on the PS - but I'd think if you're writing an article about the team's QB options, you would actually know what they are, or at least spend two minutes researching.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Just make sure you draft a Quarterback too and I'm beginning to fall for this kid from Chandler, AZ.
brett-hundley-ucla-bruins-true-blue.jpg

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Just make sure you draft a Quarterback too and I'm beginning to fall for this kid from Chandler, AZ.
brett-hundley-ucla-bruins-true-blue.jpg
Hey, we're not supposed to judge, so I wish you two crazy kids all the happiness in the world...

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
A healthy Bradford would push this team over the top but there's a lot of "IFS" with Sam.A lot people myself included like Sam but don't trust his ability to stay healthy and no one can blame us for feeling like this.I'm willing to go with SB on a reduced contract loaded with incentives.But only if we also have a solid backup plan either by draft or free agency,so I guess I'm on the fence with this until he proves he can stay healthy.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hey, we're not supposed to judge, so I wish you two crazy kids all the happiness in the world...

Thank you, but he's a tad too young for me and really not my type, however, if he was drafted by the Rams and took them to the promise land, I would give him a big fat kiss.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
A healthy Bradford would push this team over the top but there's a lot of "IFS" with Sam.A lot people myself included like Sam but don't trust his ability to stay healthy and no one can blame us for feeling like this.I'm willing to go with SB on a reduced contract loaded with incentives.But only if we also have a solid backup plan either by draft or free agency,so I guess I'm on the fence with this until he proves he can stay healthy.
Fix the line and that will be the least of your worries.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I agree....we need to bring Sam back....and the way it's looking, I wouldn't be tripping on his 2015 salary...If he'd like to re-structure, fine...If not, 2015 will truly be his make or brake year...Lets all have some faith, this team still needs to iron out the line & get 4 wr's up to speed...
I'd still draft a QB...even if Winston is not on the board...Petty-Hundley-Marrion-??? I heard Cook isn't coming out....Kid at Stanford is so inaccurate (so is Cook), who wants to deal with that...But at least those 2 come from pro-style systems...Maybe somebody comes out of nowwhere...

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Hasn't done it in college. Hard for me to trust a guy to do something in the NFL when he doesn't do it in college.
And if we don't fix this line and draft this guy,the same people whining about Bradford will be whining about him.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I've been on board with this idea since Bradford went down. There is no way a rookie coming in even if it was Winston, who I am not as enamored with as the writer, somehow fell to the Rams could be better than Sam.

Bradford probably should not target the preseason and probably not the opening day game for coming back depending on his recovery and what is done with the Oline. They absolutely have to get this line fixed to protect Bradford. They did a crappy job of that in the offseason Jake Long was not ready to protect Bradford and it cost Sam this season. Now Long is done too and there are WAY too many holes to be filled on this line.

If they finally dedicate the funds and draft picks to fixing this problem maybe Bradford comes back at the beginning of October after the line has had a chance to jell and plays on a knee that is given the time to heal as much as it is going to in 2015 behind a line that can actually block for more than 2 seconds.

Let Davis play for the preseason and first month and then have Bradford come on to drive the team to the playoffs.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
No problem, in fact I favor him returning, ... just so long as he either gets extended for less money or is cut and re-signed to a new contract. And I still want one of the top rookie QB's in the next draft. Starting Bradford while developing his eventual replacement suits me just fine, if we get real lucky and Bradford has a healthy & successful 2015, his trade value will soar going into the 2016 draft. If not, his replacement is on-board & ready to go. jmo.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hasn't done it in college. Hard for me to trust a guy to do something in the NFL when he doesn't do it in college.

Fair enough and I totally trust your judgment, however, very bright kid with a great arm and has the legs too. Has looked much better against the rush since he's been running more and not staying in the pocket for better or for worse. Keep in mind this year UCLA's offensive line is not very good.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
No problem, in fact I favor him returning, ... just so long as he either gets extended for less money or is cut and re-signed to a new contract. And I still want one of the top rookie QB's in the next draft. Starting Bradford while developing his eventual replacement suits me just fine, if we get real lucky and Bradford has a healthy & successful 2015, his trade value will soar going into the 2016 draft. If not, his replacement is on-board & ready to go. jmo.
Why would you jack with his head by screwing around with his contract as if you are telling him you have no confidence in him?

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Fair enough and I totally trust your judgment, however, very bright kid with a great arm and has the legs too. Has looked much better against the rush since he's been running more and not staying in the pocket for better or for worse. Keep in mind this year UCLA's offensive line is not very good.
And not fixing ours will result in the same problem that he had in college.Sorry,we've been playing Russian roulette with our Offensive Line for too long.We just about fixed everywhere else.It's time to finish it by fixing the line.