So, what did you observe last night?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Haven't been able to watch the game but I'm glad to read that Mannion impressed some of you guys - I've been singing his praises a lot and believe he's got a good long future as our starting QB - I can't wait to watch the game - just need to find it online (for free) now

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Oh yeah, I forgot to add Derek Carr is ugly. Js.

300.ButchPatrick.EddieMunster.tg.111110.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
First impressions:
* I liked the way Foles looked in command.
* I Loved the way they used Tavon!:D
* The O-Line looked fine the first couple of series.
* I hated to see so many Key starters not even Play!
* I understand it's the 1st pre-season game, But I expected a Better effort to WIN their 1st game going out!! " I know they have a lot of players to look at!"
*Question, I never remember, when are the 1st Cuts!?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I noticed that Washington may be one of the worst overall players we have. The guy couldn't stop anything and when he came in he immediately whiffed on his next three blocking attempts and was beaten horrendously. Even the Raiders second stringers were demolishing him. If he makes it past the first cuts I'll eat my hat.

Foles looks like he already has great chemistry with our guys, threw quite a few of our guys open and was basically responsible for that huge play from Austin. The guy plays smart and if he's given time he's going to demolish it. What especially stuck out to me was that goal line fade to Cook, while it was unsuccessful the fact that there was even an attempt brightened my cold, dead Rams blue heart. That's not something Bradford would have done, Bradford didn't throw until the guy was good and open, shows Foles isn't afraid of throwing it up and letting his big boys go and get it. With Guys like Quick, Britt and Cook in our folds that is immensely pleasing.

Our WRs look good, our top talent looks like top talent and our second stringers look like thee couple be a few surprises among them, not really much to say there.

Tru flashed last night, I think he keeps his starting job opposite of Jenkins, the guy is just solid and it seems like he's fully returned from his injury. When they're not playing 10 feet of their men I'm actually quite interested to see what our CBs can do.

Barring any injury, I just don't see Davis making it. Seems like he's back into the same situation he was when he was cut for Clemens a few years back, there's a back up they like more and Foles obviously isn't going anywhere. Mannion flashed and he's just immensely more talented than both, and will probably overcome Keenum some point during this season. Unless he makes it to the PS, I think this is the last time we'll see him as Ram.

Havenstein and Brown were ROCK solid, Raiders D-line may not have been much of a test, but as a lot of us have already pointed out the Raiders were playing their ass off last night, trying to make up for that 52 we hung on them no doubt. So to see them stand up to the Raiders line trying their damnedest that's pretty remarkable. I have no really noteworthy complaints about the right side of the line. If they play like that then our season is looking real good.

Donald was constantly in their backfield. I'm officially buying the hype now, if Carr didn't have the quick passes we so graciously allowed him then he would not have made it out of that game alive. Donald has the potential to be a monster ala Sapp.

I think people are being WAY too hard on Robinson. Consider who he was blocking, Mack is not some nobody off the streets. This was the DROY behind our Donald, so suffice to say that he's PRETTY damn good already. Even such he never really let Mack touch Foles and if Washington had done his job with any sort of efficiency then we wouldn't even be talking about it. Foles would have escaped the pressure and throw some nice passes and it'd be whatever. He's not going to be blocking Macks every game, even outside of that you're not going to block a guy 100% of the time. Unless he starts whiffing like Washington every time I don't see why everyone's already calling him done.

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't see GRob ever agreeing to play OG. He stated in an interview that he absolutely hated playing there. I'm sure he'd do it to be a good teammate but he'll never agree to stay there long term. Put another way, he'd never agree to sign his next contract with a team that's going to use him at OG rather than OT.

That's just my opinion of him. The coaching staff doesn't agree with me either, lol. I realize it's early into his career. But, and this is just me, my preferred LTs are known as great pass blockers first, not the other way around.

fearsomefour

Legend
I hope you're right -- once Washington came in, that LG spot became a swinging gate.
Agreed.
I would like to see Reynolds or Jones get time there. Jones was pretty bad at C. I think that experiment is nearing its end. I wouldn't mind seeing if he fairs better at G. He seemed 1/2 a step slow, not having to snap the ball may help. Rhaney is quicker than Jones, that is pretty clear.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Positives:
- Play calling. One example; I noticed a subtle difference in the way Cignetti ran the Bubble screen to Tavon on the 2nd play of the game. He started the play with Run action going to the right side of the field, then threw back to the left side. Once, Tavon caught the ball, he had much more lateral room to work with having the line previously moved 7 to 8 yards to the right.

- No negative plays from the Right side of the O-line (Brown & Havenstein) .....at least for the 1st unit

- Marcus Roberson, when Marcus arrived as a UDFA last season and he was a softy. He seemed to shy away from contact. He has seemed to have changed. On two consecutive plays, he popped QB Ponder on his scramble up the left sideline, and I believe the next play was a Run to the left side with Trent Richardson and Roberson squared up and brought him down before he went out of bounds. I was impressed.

- Trumaine Johson, I was happy to see the pass break up and interception he made in the 1st Qtr. I have always had the opinion that Trumaine plays better in zone than in Man coverage. And, after the Giants game last year, I thought Trumaine was finally exposed for his poor coverage ability, mostly lack of quickness to stay with faster receivers. Maybe this is still true, but he stayed with the WR and tipped the ball away, albeit on a shorter field (near the endzone), and then recovering from a trail technique to pick off the pass going into the endzone on a slant.

Head scratchers:

- Rams Run defense, I keep hearing how some people think the Rams defense can be a Top 5 unit. Running play after running play the Raiders got their RB up the middle and to the outside for big chunks of yardage. The D-tackles seemed to be neutralized ; Donald was running upfield in the "B" gap while Brockers was being sealed off with no LB filling the "A" gap. This was the most frustrating thing for me to watch. This is an experienced Front 7. I expect a poor performance from an O-line with players having no experience, not from from an experienced front 7. Rant over;)

- The Rams continued use of Chris Givens, I can see that Cignetti gave him opportunities where his straight line speed could be utilized ; the reverse play to the left, the go route from the Slot, which was the play where Keenum missed him, and then a running play stright upfield off left tackle. I will be disappoint if Givens makes the team and

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
....continued......last thought didn't make it ......

I will be disappointed if Givens makes the team over a player like UDFA Marquez, who I think is more dynamic.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Always thought he looked the part, what was his chemistry like with the players, or wasn't he on for long enough? what was his footwork like, he's been working on that - rookie mistakes I can live with, I think he's the type of guy that will learn from his mistakes.

V3

Hall of Fame
That's just my opinion of him. The coaching staff doesn't agree with me either, lol. I realize it's early into his career. But, and this is just me, my preferred LTs are known as great pass blockers first, not the other way around.
I actually agree with you which is why I didn't want to draft him. I don't like drafting a LT that hasn't proven he can pass block.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The only thing that I came away with after watching that is that I think Keenum is a better option at #2 than Davis.

JRobinson

MiLB
I'll say this regarding last night. I am now overwhelmingly aggravated that we did not go after Rodney Hudson. I love Les Snead and Jeff Fisher more than most, but dagumit, that was the only FA I wanted for this team. Look at what a guy like that would give this OL right now. He's a Pro Bowler in and out. Out of all the things that happened last night, which I don't read into as much as most, that was the one thing that irked my skin. Watching him handle Brockers and Donald.

*Copied from another thread*

RamzFanz

Damnit

I wouldn't describe a rookie guard making his blocks in his first NFL action as disappointing myself. I'd call that a win. Did you see Washington? THAT was disappointing.

RamzFanz

Damnit
When I turned the game off the Raiders had two penalties and the Rams had 8 I think....are we going to start this already....the refs are against us and wanted the Raiders to win??

The Refs blew several big penalties against the Raiders. I don't think it was intentional, I think it was preseason. You have to admit they almost never call the holding on the pass rush that happens just about every play though.