So, what did you observe last night?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
Seeing Saffold favouring his shoulder was disappointing.
Was it his shoulder or his hand? I thought it looked like he was holding his wrist/hand area? Boy, I hope it's his hand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Its really hard to take anything out of the first preseason. Some key guys goes typically don't even suit up. The ones who do only play a few series. I thought Keenum had more time to throw than Foles, but he made a couple bat throws. Johnson had some nice coverage. Nice play with Tavon to start the game. Great move by him. Penalties wouldn't worry me this time of year, but it was a problem last year. So yes, I do get worried about them. I did like how we went with power running in short yardage situations. Last year 3rd and 1 was a passing down. Overall, nothing to get excited about and nothing to be depressed about. We'll know more the next couple of weeks.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Robinson struggled heavily starting at LT. Washington at guard looked even worse.

Rams needs a better answer for the backup LG spot than Brandon Washington -- dude must be lights-out in practice, but he sucks in games.

Because, once again, Saffold's durability issues reared their ugly head....and I expect it to be a recurring theme into the regular season, as well.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Quick observations after watching the game this morning:

We didn't see much of the first team offense to draw any conclusions. This one turned into a preseason game fast.

Foles was okay. I mean, two series hardly gives a chance to say much positive or negative.

Additionally, the starting offensive line barely made a cameo. Havenstein and Brown were out of the game after the first two series.

Seeing Saffold favouring his shoulder was disappointing.

Tavon in an untapped piece of the offense that could make this offense look a lot different in 2015. We got a taste tonight.

Trumaine Johnson had a nice game, despite his penalty.

Anyone else notice Trovon Reed? Played scrappy out there and had a nice tackle despite being wrapped by another player.

The penalties wouldn't bother me, except it felt all too familiar.

There were several times during the game where it looked obvious the team wasn't playing at anywhere close to real game speed.

The defense wasn't scheming - at all. The Raiders were tossing screens and quick hits all night as our corners played off.

Mannion looks the part.

Keenum will be serviceable, but isn't going to wow anyone.

Davis did a hell of job holding onto the ball on that blindside hit.

On that blindside hit; Battle was beaten badly. He looked ok after that, from what I could see.

Imoan Claiborne flashed out there. He left injured too. Hope it's nothing major.

Pead looked 100%. Didn't get many chances. Seemed a little upset to get taken out of the game.

Watts looked good, but for whatever reason he doesn't excite me much.

Givens broke open what would have been a TD bomb, had Keenum seen him.

I don't care for Mason's blonde dreads.

Long, Quick, and Gurley all sat out. That's 3 starters and a big part of our team down the road.

This is exactly what I saw and felt. Good job getting into my head CGI so I didn't have to write this all up.

Battle got burned like three straight plays at LT, then he settled down and did well. He will be better at RT.

Rhaney needs to bring those shotgun snaps up a bit. Every one of them were down low.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I liked what little I saw of Pead, he looks healthy and it hasn't even been a full calendar year. That should let us know Gurley should be ready be late September early October since Pead was full go for training camp. Pead to my eye looks to have much more burst than Benny. I'd like to see him get more touches and see if he can carve out a role on offense.

Mannion has a gun! Working with Jordan Palmer and now Wienke, Cig and Garcia has really helped him develop his throwing motion. Ball jumped out of his hands, if anything he needs to learn to take something off of his crossing routes. That's a great problem to have though! He also had poise and was directing WR's to get aligned. Small sample, but me likey.

Rhaney looked the best of a meh group at C. Jones looked bad, curious to see how he responds to that performance next week. Barnes is a JAG and he played like it. At least he's durable and knows the calls. They need to get Rhaney the reps though IMO. He appears to hold his own in there. Also his quickness jumps out compared to the other two.

V3

Hall of Fame
My main takeaway was how badly we got beaten at the LOS for both sides. I was really disappointed with GRob. I sure hope Hammer wasn't right.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My observation from the lackluster performance and I don't care that's it's preseason you still want to see your team battle and the Raiders looked better in all areas of the game.

Offense: Good start and Saffold once again is hurt I thought Garrett Reynolds was first OL off the bench, but enter Brandon "freakin" Washington who always seems like he's a day late and a dollar short. Foles does have a long delivery and very few pass plays were down the field I don't fault Cook on the pass in the corner, it was well covered and would've have been a difficult catch.

Thought LT Darrell Williams played solid coming in after GROB felt that Barnes and Jones played good at center, but what a difference when you watch somebody like the Raiders Rodney Hudson...IMO Bill Musgrave's offense trumped Frank Cignetti's as Cig's first go round calling plays came off pedestrian IMO, however, Mannion in his short stint looked capable OT Andrew Donnal seemed to be pushed back quite often in pass protection.

Defense: Understood that they did not show much, but still too much of a cushion on coverage and need to clean up giving up long runs. All three Raider QB's completed like 90% of their throws and if Tru does not make a nice play the score would've been worse and the Rams did not have one sack in the game I don't think a few close, but no cigar.

Growing tired of penalties under this coaching staff seems to always be an issue from preseason on I understand they want the players to play with an edge, but Oakland came off much tougher and only had two accepted penalties you don't count offsetting penalties like the first one on Armstrong.

Overall besides the fact that Brown & Havenstein held up good I really don't think there was much to like as a Ram fan. Growing tired of something although it's preseason you still want certain areas to show some growth. IMO practicing against the Cowboys can only help and I would like to see more of Pead than Watts going forward and again the offense which is supposed to focus on the running game was as interesting as going to the drive in to actually watch the movie.

Next week IMO the team will be more focused because Fisher & Williams will want to defeat the Titans and I hope the Cignetti can design more plays that actually stretches the defense...One other quick note Chris Givens looked good and I concur with him changing his number because donning 19 made him appear much faster!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I honestly don't know what to think. It's only preseason of course, but we played the worst team in the league that we beat 52-0 a short time ago.

We looked vanilla in the first game. Normally that's no concern but since we didn't start playing football last year until a third of the season was over I'd have thought a bit more practice and overall fire was in order. I'm concerned we have learned nothing in the way of penalties.

The pieces are there, it's obvious we have the talent for the playoffs but that OL is going to hold us back. With the exception of Saffold and the new guy at RT, I'm not thrilled with the presumed starting OL. I continue to believe GRob would make a fantastic hall of fame level guard, but I'm unconvinced that he will ever approach that level at LT.

At WRs, this is the year they turn it around. I think we see smart play, big plays out of them this year.

Foles is a competent QB who can be successful if the OC knows his job. I was against the Mannion pick, I think I may have been wrong. I think it was smart not to overboard on Foles contract.

RBs look ok. Pead seems to have finally realized that life in the NFL may end if he doesn't do something.

Playcalling seems coherent.

I'm concerned without JL no one on the D will know what to do.

Overall to me it seems a mixed bag. I don't think Jeff Fisher has the luxury of treating this like a veteran preseason. There are toO many new parts, important parts, to remain ultra vanilla and low key. IMO. Better to practice now than wait until week 6.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
We really need someone to step up and take the C position, Saffold better not be out too long or they're in deep shit. I'm okay so far with the 2 newbs on the right.

Was really hoping to see Mannion and gotta say he didn't disappoint, they may have found something there. All this crap about his "mechanics" is just that...crap. The guy has a bright future (thru my eyes of course) Has the intangibles (upstairs) that many times just don't show up and cherry pick highlight reels.

Moostache

Rookie
Good:
First two plays (26 yards to Cook and 33 yards to Austin on bubble screen).
Tru

Bad:
Saffold's durability
Foles' internal clock to get the ball out (I see sacks and an eventual game or more missed)
Keenum

The "meh":
Just about everything else
Game 3 of the pre-season will be interesting, pretty much everything else was shown that the team simply is not interested in these games beyond the guys on the wrong side of the 53 man line...

fearsomefour

Legend
Rams needs a better answer for the backup LG spot than Brandon Washington -- dude must be lights-out in practice, but he sucks in games.

Because, once again, Saffold's durability issues reared their ugly head....and I expect it to be a recurring theme into the regular season, as well.
If Saffold doesn't play next week I would expect Reynolds to line up at LG.

V3

Hall of Fame
I continue to believe GRob would make a fantastic hall of fame level guard
I don't see GRob ever agreeing to play OG. He stated in an interview that he absolutely hated playing there. I'm sure he'd do it to be a good teammate but he'll never agree to stay there long term. Put another way, he'd never agree to sign his next contract with a team that's going to use him at OG rather than OT.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If Saffold doesn't play next week I would expect Reynolds to line up at LG.

Not so sure Reynolds history is on the right side and why did they go with Washington after the injury? Maybe that was the plan so they stuck to it, but I concur I would rather see Reynolds then Washington with Saffold sitting.

V3

Hall of Fame
Foles' internal clock to get the ball out
Is it Foles, the WRs not getting open, or a combination? I see a combination and if that's truly the case, the WRs need a share in the blame.

fearsomefour

Legend
He was solid last night....Rams don't have anything else unless Wichman or whatever his name is can come back.

fearsomefour

Legend
Not so sure Reynolds history is on the right side and why did they go with Washington after the injury? Maybe that was the plan so they stuck to it, but I concur I would rather see Reynolds then Washington with Saffold sitting.
True, Reynolds can play all over.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Watching the game on dvr with multiple rewinds. Things I noticed in no particular order so far. (Only at halftime.)

Andrew Donald looks like crap at RT.

Robinson struggled heavily starting at LT. Washington at guard looked even worse.

Keenum looked like he was playing scared. I was not impressed.

The starting right side of the oline looked solid.

Givens showing improvement as well as Pead.

Foles had a solid enough showing.

G Williams was only interested in rushing the passer and not playing the run.

Laurinitus (not even going to try to correct that now. It's too early.) was constantly barking orders to a defense that clearly did not know what was going on.

Overall it's looking like a preseason game and I'm wholly enjoying it.
I have to agree with you 100%. Also why does GR look so slow if he lost weight?

A55VA6

Legend
I learned that Lamarcus Joyner is still god awful and looks confused on every single play. And Brandon Washington is flat out terrible.