So, what did you observe last night?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
8to12 missing the point:
First, I never said anything about the first 2 seasons. I specifically said cut him after the Dallas game, which was in his 3rd season. Quick made progress and blossomed in his 3rd season, while Givens was buried on the depth chart.
One season, two seasons, three seasons, 4 games, one game what's the difference? The point is that the learning curve is different for everyone. Never give up until you see the whites of their eyes and the grass may be greener but their water bill is probably sky high so let the better man win. :seizure:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I saw a slow start. Defense couldn't predict the run most of the game, allowed too much space mid field. I was honestly just waiting to see Sean Mannion play. I was impressed. With only 3 mins he was able to play I saw a lot. Obviously he won't be the starter ahead of Foles, but I think he deserves 2nd. He commanded, he avoided sacks, he converted, and he has a hell of an arm. I want to see more of him. Next game they should play Mannion more. This youngster has the potential to be amazing.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He's obviously down on the depth chart because he hasn't shown the ability to do that.
Hmmm, you believe the best players always start? On every team...but lets stick to the Rams...Chris Givens had a season to remember as a rookie, sophomore slumped hard year 2..Disappeared year 3....The only thing that happened in the same time was....Our #1 QB went down...Now, he's not some tactical route runner, but you don't believe he could learn a basic out...deep out....deep digs...to go with his one great trick...the bomb...?? Givens is easily in our top 4 or 5....

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Not too concerned about Robinson. Khalil Mack makes even elite LTs look silly. Against most other players, Robinson should hold up okay.

I hope you are right! Mack is learning a new position and Robinson's inability to anchor concerned me. It is the preseason though and by all accounts has looked good in camp.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
watched the game a second time...too many penalties but the first string played okay.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I hope you are right! Mack is learning a new position and Robinson's inability to anchor concerned me. It is the preseason though and by all accounts has looked good in camp.

Not sure how different it is for Mack, pretty sure he rushed 90% of the time anyway at LB. But yeah, while it's definitely not ideal to see Robinson get destroyed like that, I think he'll be fine and it's probably a one time thing, playing that bad that is. If Robinson starts getting beat by considerably lesser players I'll be concerned.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Not sure how different it is for Mack, pretty sure he rushed 90% of the time anyway at LB. But yeah, while it's definitely not ideal to see Robinson get destroyed like that, I think he'll be fine and it's probably a one time thing, playing that bad that is. If Robinson starts getting beat by considerably lesser players I'll be concerned.
I belive they didn't have him rush that much. I read this offseason they were going to have him rush non stop due to how good he was at it in the limited times they did have him do it and how well he did it in college. I think they were just easing him into the nfl slowly. Baby steps.

I think Robinson will be fine as well.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I belive they didn't have him rush that much. I read this offseason they were going to have him rush non stop due to how good he was at it in the limited times they did have him do it and how well he did it in college. I think they were just easing him into the nfl slowly. Baby steps.

I think Robinson will be fine as well.

I am pretty sure he was rushing most of the time. Every time I watched a Raiders game he came on like every down. I'll see if I can find a stat or something.

From December 2014:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/21/raiders-mack-moving-forward/

In order for the Raiders to capitalise on Mack, they’ll need to develop the other areas of his game. Currently, Mack is rarely asked to provide coverage and instead, he is blitzing 84.9% of the time, the highest rate of anyone at his position. While he’s not producing a ton of box score stats as a pass rusher (only three sacks) he’s definitely having a positive impact. His +4.3 pass rush grade ranks seventh among his peers.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I am pretty sure he was rushing most of the time. Every time I watched a Raiders game he came on like every down. I'll see if I can find a stat or something.

From December 2014:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/21/raiders-mack-moving-forward/

In order for the Raiders to capitalise on Mack, they’ll need to develop the other areas of his game. Currently, Mack is rarely asked to provide coverage and instead, he is blitzing 84.9% of the time, the highest rate of anyone at his position. While he’s not producing a ton of box score stats as a pass rusher (only three sacks) he’s definitely having a positive impact. His +4.3 pass rush grade ranks seventh among his peers.

Hmm, didnt know that. Thanks for correcting me, did not know that. Guess they want him to be a more effective rusher which is harder to do as a 4-3 LB so they are moving him to DE. Guess I didnt look into it very thoroughly and just went off the little I read. He was an absolute stud in run defense though. Wasnt he like the #1 rated OLB against the run last year according to PFF?

Also, its funny that Ray Ray Armstrong could win Macks old job at SLB. Its currently a battle between him and Malcom Smith. Right now Armstrong is filling in for the injured Sio Moore.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Too early to know anything obviously, but I didn't see anything encouraging. At all.

But yeah, it's 1 pre-season game.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I really hope this team is ready to at least compete at the beginning of the year though. This "slow start," "rebuilding," "young," "new pieces" shit is getting really old.

With the amount of time, and resources this coaching staff and fo has had, there's really no room for mercy here in judging.

We'll see.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Too early to know anything obviously, but I didn't see anything encouraging. At all.

But yeah, it's 1 pre-season game.

I really hope this team is ready to at least compete at the beginning of the year though. This "slow start," "rebuilding," "young," "new pieces" crap is getting really old.

With the amount of time, and resources this coaching staff and fo has had, there's really no room for mercy here in judging.

We'll see.
I'm in exactly the same place.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Hmm, didnt know that. Thanks for correcting me, did not know that. Guess they want him to be a more effective rusher which is harder to do as a 4-3 LB so they are moving him to DE. Guess I didnt look into it very thoroughly and just went off the little I read. He was an absolute stud in run defense though. Wasnt he like the #1 rated OLB against the run last year according to PFF?

Also, its funny that Ray Ray Armstrong could win Macks old job at SLB. Its currently a battle between him and Malcom Smith. Right now Armstrong is filling in for the injured Sio Moore.

Yeah, he was a crazy good run defender.

Haha, if Smith loses to Armstrong that'd be hilarious. Ray Ray is the most undisciplined player I've ever seen.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yeah, he was a crazy good run defender.

Haha, if Smith loses to Armstrong that'd be hilarious. Ray Ray is the most undisciplined player I've ever seen.

lol ikr. Reading comments over at B/R a lot of people think he is a hidden gem....just like many hear thought(like me...). They will learn quickly why he got cut lol

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I was going to offer up what I thought of the team after watching the game twice but it seems from reading this thread that's pointless. The team stinks we have no shot and we're doomed for 2015. It's funny I remember watching Pace as a rookie and don't remember him being perfect. I'm sure HoF LT like Munoz came out and weren't all world the first game. But then I guess it's easier to be knee jerk reaction negative. Cut him now there's no hope we'll install Darryl Williams at LT and see how it goes :)

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
My observations from just the QB aspect of things..

Foles - Looked ok. It was just the 1st preseason game. I'd give him a break. He looks to sill be gathering the offense. The tools are there for him to be a player and supplement the offense this year.

Keenum - Had some bright moments. Had some meh moments as well. I think he gained by the fact that he knew he would play from the end of 1st quarter through 1st drive of 4th quarter.

Davis - A good pass and then some terrible pass protection. Too early to tell. I figure he will get majority of reps next game so we will see if he still has it. Shaun Hill got majority of second reps last 1st preseason game and Davis majority of 2nd preseason game. I think it will be more of the same this year. We shall see. Still have hopes that he will be good. Davis struggled mightily once his favorite WR, Brian Quick, went down for injury last year although some say defenses "figured it out".

Mannion - This kid has talent. The ball came out of his hand very well. They went hard on the pass plays on the final drive, but I like what I see. Good arm strength. Still has a few years to grow.

Glad to see some positive comments about Mannion...Living in Oregon, I got to see quite a bit of him...This area is more Ducks than Beavers, but when I did see him, I liked it...He has a plenty big enough arm, he always looked like he had things under control and has good size...He could easily handle another 10-15 pounds if necessary...I like almost everything I saw about him...

Limey

Rookie
I'm on a family holiday to Denver, so got to see the whole of the Broncos v Seahawks game (Denver TV didn't have the Rams game), and I didn't see anything to frighten me from the Hags. Admitedly, none of Lynch, Sherman, Chancellor or Wagner played, but the game was only close due to ST. One interpretation is that Seattle's ST are great, but it looked more to me that Denver's sucked. They gave up big gains to different returners, including a ko return for a TD, and fumbled 2 returns of their own, recovering one. Wilson was sacked and fumbled on their first drive, escaped heavy pressure a couple of times on the 2nd series, once on a scramble and once on a pass to Graham, but looked like he could get flattened at any time. the Bronco commentators thought he had been pulled early for fear of injury, given how much pressure he was under. Tavares Jackson, the backup QB, made Davis and Keenan look like Elway and Aikman. Without Lynch their O looked really bad, and if our DL is anything like what we think it is, should give them real problems. Their 3rd string QB looked ok, and they got a freebie TD at the end against soft prevent D from a lot of screens to a decent looking back, Smith. Hard to judge their D without so many big players, but Osweiler looked like Manning (who didn't play a snap), and their 4th string QB (7th round pick this year) carved them up at the end. The only time the Hags were in the game was when the Broncos' 3 rd QB was in. Oh, and Ronnie Hillman managed about 10 ypc against them behind a very inexperienced OL.

Not reading too much into this except to say that if you are worried about the Rams based on preseason game 1, seeing their week 1 opponent look just as bad puts things into perspective.

I'm hoping to be at training camp on Tuesday, but sadly not the right one, so won't be posting a camp report :)

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Yeah, Fisher doesn't seem to give a rip about winning preseason games, does he?

I realize that he wants to stress his players (his words) in order to make the best possible decisions on those final 15 players for the 53.

Still, it does make some of us nervous when we see only 3 points scored in the damned game. Especially when we saw 1-3 and 1-4 starts to the last two regular seasons. Gulp...

Personally I would have loved to see Foles, drive the ball down to the end zone and finish it with a Pass TD, then the ones could come off the field thinking "job done". In my book winning games breeds winners....