So, what did you observe last night?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Pressure disrupts plays. Allowing pressure means you didn't your job that play.

If sacks were all that mattered do you really think pass rushers would go so high in the draft and paid so much just to make 10-15 plays a year at best? No, the plays where they don't get the sack but force the interception or the incomplete pass on 3rd down matter just as much. That's why some people use it as a statistic.

We use QB pressures when we praise our DL, seems only fair we acknowledge pressure as a real disruption when talking about the OL.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
C, RG, RT, QB. You can add RB once Gurley comes back. Might consider OC, too, since the scheme, while not completely new, has some new wrinkles in it.

How about the QB, the RG, the RT, the OC? In addition to the center mentioned. The playcaller, the most important guy on the offense and 60% of the OL seems like a lot of new parts to get together on the same page to me.

As far as not needing preseason games, they said that last year. Turns out they needed about 8 more games past preseason.

I'm not talking about the scrubs. I'm referring to the 1s and 2s.

Hmm the QB is a vet.

RG/RT can be better guaged in camp when they do countless drills vs. a few preseason plays.

The first team offense went down the field. Yeah, 7 would've been nice. It's not like they did 3 and out after 3 and out. Tho.

Starting defense held them to a whopping 3 points and INTd Derek Carr. IDK what more people want.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Should have thrown it to Britt. He makes that catch.

I think if it was regular season, it's going to Quick anyway. So I'm not too worried about that play call yet.

3rd and 4, I'm not against throwing to cook, but a fade to the endzone seemed rash. I'm throwing it to Bailey or handing it to Tre Mason. Then you have 3 more downs to score or a 4th and short if you want to Bam Bam.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Hmm the QB is a vet.

RG/RT can be better guaged in camp when they do countless drills vs. a few preseason plays.

The first team offense went down the field. Yeah, 7 would've been nice. It's not like they did 3 and out after 3 and out. Tho.

Starting defense held them to a whopping 3 points and INTd Derek Carr. IDK what more people want.

The QB played two years in an entirely different kind of system, was hurt part of the second, and played average when he played. Is that really a vet?

I disagree completely about camp vs preseason plays.

Positives

-Loved Sean Mannion - all those camp reports were right about this guy....i really can't praise this kid enough - i can seriously see him competing for the starting spot within a couple years

-Kendricks, Cook, and Austin... Glad Austin finally made an appearance - Kendricks and Cooks is kind of what I expected from both. Would have been a tough catch, but damnit cookie work on them hands!

-Pead. I thought he looked the best out of all the backs that night. Mason looked okay but barely played. Pead showed his hands with that nice one handed catch on the screen, ran well with some burst and good vision/cutbacks; saw him help a tad in pass pro by chipping with the RT... Lot to like. Did not like the backs after him

-Loved seeing Mcdonald making plays all over the field

Concern

-Robinson - he held his own until Saffold went down, then he struggled mightily... Khalil Mack is a good player but he's not a house hold name, and there are better pass rushers he will need to block. Hope he improves next week

-Defensive scheme....you gotta realize teams are gonna get the ball out quick against the d-line, and its maddening to keep seeing the corners play so far off the ball.

-Could see the difference in what hayes brings at RDE vs what Long does... felt that was a big difference last night.

-Saffold's inability to stay healthy... i hope someone else can win the back up LG job, quick.
Negatives

-Joyner.... he had a game to forget...out of position and beat a lot..that first Touchdown to Andre Holmes was just bad

-Brandon Washington - ugh jesus christ...really don't think I need to go into how big of a drop off it is from Saffold to him, just ask Foles..

-penalties... i don't think there's any excuse for this - doesn't matter if its preseason or regular season, this team finds a way to rack 'em up..especially with stupid delay of game penalties

-Keenum and Davis - I sincerely hope they don't have to start for us at any point...

-Refs... unbelievable how this d-line can't get holding calls.. I didn't realize rear naked chokes were allowed in the rule book.. Or are these the same dipshits from the cowboys game?

-Reynolds, Watts, and Brown.... Was not a fan of what they brought to the table, particularly reynolds in pass pro. Saw him get blown up; was not encouraged by this group.

-Center play... Oakland showed us what a good center looks like vs ours

My observations from just the QB aspect of things..

Foles - Looked ok. It was just the 1st preseason game. I'd give him a break. He looks to sill be gathering the offense. The tools are there for him to be a player and supplement the offense this year.

Keenum - Had some bright moments. Had some meh moments as well. I think he gained by the fact that he knew he would play from the end of 1st quarter through 1st drive of 4th quarter.

Davis - A good pass and then some terrible pass protection. Too early to tell. I figure he will get majority of reps next game so we will see if he still has it. Shaun Hill got majority of second reps last 1st preseason game and Davis majority of 2nd preseason game. I think it will be more of the same this year. We shall see. Still have hopes that he will be good. Davis struggled mightily once his favorite WR, Brian Quick, went down for injury last year although some say defenses "figured it out".

Mannion - This kid has talent. The ball came out of his hand very well. They went hard on the pass plays on the final drive, but I like what I see. Good arm strength. Still has a few years to grow.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Fisher has never seemed to worry about pre- season games, it just doesn't seem to be in his makeup. I just hope that on week 1 they (offense and defence) have fire in their bellies.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Don't want this to sound too negative but Greg Robinson still does not do it for me. Thought he looked a little rough. We need him to be better.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Guess I may have been the only one disappointed the team didn't pound the rock more via the run. Practice makes perfect.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, Fisher doesn't seem to give a rip about winning preseason games, does he?

I realize that he wants to stress his players (his words) in order to make the best possible decisions on those final 15 players for the 53.

Still, it does make some of us nervous when we see only 3 points scored in the damned game. Especially when we saw 1-3 and 1-4 starts to the last two regular seasons. Gulp...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The QB played two years in an entirely different kind of system, was hurt part of the second, and played average when he played. Is that really a vet?

I disagree completely about camp vs preseason plays.

He has a lot of game experience, and is going into his 4th season. Yes, he's a vet. Maybe not a "grizzled vet" but a veteran nonetheless.

Also 2 series in a preseason game tells us nothing. Good or bad.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yeah, Fisher doesn't seem to give a rip about winning preseason games, does he?

I realize that he wants to stress his players (his words) in order to make the best possible decisions on those final 15 players for the 53.

Still, it does make some of us nervous when we see only 3 points scored in the damned game. Especially when we saw 1-3 and 1-4 starts to the last two regular seasons. Gulp...
I wouldn't worry too much when our starters were in for what? 3 series? Foles and them were out before the 1st even ended iirc.

Not too much to hang our hat on. Not like the Raiders really ripped it either, outside of second team scoring their first team only scored 3 too and I'm not too concerned about our second and third stringers not being able to out gun theirs.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If sacks were all that mattered do you really think pass rushers would go so high in the draft and paid so much just to make 10-15 plays a year at best?
Yes...because sacks cause fumbles...turnovers...change field position...increase the odds of getting off the field and getting the ball back to the offense...
Pressure is too obscure...if you have pressure but still complete a pass, or score, what does the pressure really show? Pressure that causes a turnover is something...Pressure that doesn't cause anything, is nothing..... If you not applying pressure, does the line get bonus points? Playing against pressure should be expected...

Last edited:

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Are you serious? Dude was ballin...yeah it was 3rd teamers..dude was trying to get in the endzone...who you keeping over him?

This is in regard to Givens: Yes, I am serious. Have you watched him run routes the past 3 seasons? He's horrible. I.E. The Dallas game last year, Rams 3rd and 8 at the Cowboys 28 approx, Givens runs an 18 yard Dig route on the right side....instead if braking down quickly and making a sharp inside cut, he lackadaisically rounded off his route which was very easy to read by the defender. The Defender jumped in front and knocked the ball away. After that, I had seen enough to warrant cutting him.

Alan

Legend
8to12 not being consistent:
This is in regard to Givens: Yes, I am serious. Have you watched him run routes the past 3 seasons? He's horrible. I.E. The Dallas game last year, Rams 3rd and 8 at the Cowboys 28 approx, Givens runs an 18 yard Dig route on the right side....instead if braking down quickly and making a sharp inside cut, he lackadaisically rounded off his route which was very easy to read by the defender. The Defender jumped in front and knocked the ball away. After that, I had seen enough to warrant cutting him.
So using that logic you'd have cut Quick after his first two years too right? What does that tell you?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Don't want this to sound too negative but Greg Robinson still does not do it for me. Thought he looked a little rough. We need him to be better.

Not too concerned about Robinson. Khalil Mack makes even elite LTs look silly. Against most other players, Robinson should hold up okay.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Have you watched him run routes the past 3 seasons? He's horrible.
Okay....we'll just have to agree to disagree....Couple noted terrible route runners, Deshaun Jackson, Julio Jones, Demaryus Thomas, Calvin Johnson & Dez Bryant...this is, of course my opinion. But I don't see any elite routes ran by these guys, just line up and play.....

WestCoastRam

Legend
You could definitely make the argument the dline was in better shape than the oline, thus allocating Fairly's dollars to the oline.

But Snead said a while back (talking about his approach to building a team) they wanted to make one unit on the team an elite unit and make that our identity. They chose the dline.

Ayers and Fairley were had for peanuts. Hudson would have been a big contract.

WestCoastRam

Legend
1) We may not have run a lot because we don't want to put a lot of our run game on tape. (I'm getting the sense that our run game is gonna look pretty different and I thought I noticed quite a bit more zone thrown in than last year).
2) We may have passed more because we need the work because we didn't get it in TC.
3) We definitely put the smoke route out there because we want that on tape, we want teams worried about that. And, the run fake will come into play when we actually run the zone stretch instead of the smoke.

I was extremely happy with what I saw (as little as it was) from the 1st team offense in terms of scheme, I was not happy with the injuries and Robinson.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
So using that logic you'd have cut Quick after his first two years too right? What does that tell you?

First, I never said anything about the first 2 seasons. I specifically said cut him after the Dallas game, which was in his 3rd season. Quick made progress and blossomed in his 3rd season, while Givens was buried on the depth chart.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Okay....we'll just have to agree to disagree....Couple noted terrible route runners, Deshaun Jackson, Julio Jones, Demaryus Thomas, Calvin Johnson & Dez Bryant...this is, of course my opinion. But I don't see any elite routes ran by these guys, just line up and play.....

Agreeing to disagree is fine. But, if Givens can become a productive receiver like the ones you noted, then I would surely agree you. Isn't that the whole point, to see him become a reliable, consistent player that can create separation in order to give himself opportunities to catch the ball? He's obviously down on the depth chart because he hasn't shown the ability to do that.