Snead on negotiations with Aaron Donald: 'No movement'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I saw an interview with Orlando Pace a few years ago and he admitted that all his holdouts weren't all about money. That getting out of practice and pre-season games had a lot to do with it. He claimed those reps in practice and pre-season made it hard to make it the last 2 or 3 games of the season. His hold outs were backed up by his agent and the money and contracts offered were fine, they just wanted him to wait to sign just in time for the regular season.

I got a sneaking hunch the Rams, AD and his agent miraculously come up with a contract they all agree on after months of negotiation.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I don't know, he has always been a football fiend, which is part of why I love the guy. If it IS because of that, then I don't know what to think about him...
IMO AD has nothing left to prove sure he should be learning Wade's new defense. I'll be ecstatic though if we have him for game one and he doesn't miss a game.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO AD has nothing left to prove sure he should be learning Wade's new defense. I'll be ecstatic though if we have him for game one and he doesn't miss a game.
It's not about proving anything, he has already done that. It's about what motivates him. He is a workout warrior with never (hardly ever) taking a day off...Why not do it with football activities learning Wade's new system, instead using of a nautilus machine (or whatever)? This is in response to the idea that the holdout only because he doesn't want to do camp.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
It's not about proving anything, he has already done that. It's about what motivates him. He is a workout warrior with never (hardly ever) taking a day off...Why not do it with football activities learning Wade's new system, instead using of a nautilus machine (or whatever)? This is in response to the idea that the holdout only because he doesn't want to do camp.
Yeah, and pull an Easley and never get that big payday, I wouldn't risk it either.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I saw an interview with Orlando Pace a few years ago and he admitted that all his holdouts weren't all about money. That getting out of practice and pre-season games had a lot to do with it. He claimed those reps in practice and pre-season made it hard to make it the last 2 or 3 games of the season. His hold outs were backed up by his agent and the money and contracts offered were fine, they just wanted him to wait to sign just in time for the regular season.

I got a sneaking hunch the Rams, AD and his agent miraculously come up with a contract they all agree on after months of negotiation.

I remember his rookie season he was not ready to play week one. In week 2, Tony banks was up against a niners team without Steve young and on 4th and goal from about the one, they wouldn't even put him in. I was pissed. The rams did not get the touchdown and pace went on to start only 9 games that season, if i recall. Point being, that if this is the case, and I guess it may be better than what it looks like now, then he better be ready for indy.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, and pull an Easley and never get that big payday, I wouldn't risk it either.
If that's what he's worried about, I like the kid we drafted and not money hungry bastid he's become. JMHO

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Why is it "only a business" for owners? Why can they cut guys and get out of guaranteed monies with injury settlements?

Yet players aren't supposed to treat it as a business and act like fans who'd play for free? Essentially, anyone who is paid to be in the NFL shouldn't be able to say anything? Should they be able to even advocate for their safety? (That may seem like hyperbole, but there are plenty of voices out there that are fine with the NFL being a blood sport AND expecting the players to do whatever it takes to please the crowd irrespective of what it means for the player)

If it's a business, then it's a business for everyone.

So unless the same people TRULY expect owners to forgo financial gain "for the good of the team", then it makes zero sense to me to allow owners to function in one mode while expecting players to function in another.

If anyone is gonna slam AD, then they need to absolutely be on the warpath against every owner in this league.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why is it "only a business" for owners? Why can they cut guys and get out of guaranteed monies with injury settlements?

Yet players aren't supposed to treat it as a business and act like fans who'd play for free? Essentially, anyone who is paid to be in the NFL shouldn't be able to say anything? Should they be able to even advocate for their safety? (That may seem like hyperbole, but there are plenty of voices out there that are fine with the NFL being a blood sport AND expecting the players to do whatever it takes to please the crowd irrespective of what it means for the player)

So unless the same people TRULY expect owners to forgo financial gain "for the good of the team", then it makes zero sense to me to allow owners to function in one mode while expecting players to function in another.

If anyone is gonna slam AD, then they need to absolutely be on the warpath against every owner in this league.
Injury settlements do not excuse teams from guaranteed money. They are done so a player who's known to be out X amount of weeks they paid those weeks and are immediately free agents. The alternative is they'd be placed on IR until they're healthy then released. Player gets all his money up front and is able to rehab or get surgery as he sees fit. He's then able to sign elsewhere when he wants if a team will take him. Offset language is usually included so that if he were paid for say 6 weeks and signed after 4 weeks he'd have to pay the 2 weeks back so he can't double dip. Guaranteed money is still paid.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Did the players, through their representatives,sign the CBA?

If the owners are doing anything not agreed to by ALL SIDES in the CBA, then bust them. Same thing for players like AD who still have years left on his original contract. He has the option of not playing for the Rams and getting fined for YEARS against potential earnings when he does play...or, show up for PreSeason and negotiate over the "substantial offer" ,per Adam Schefter, by the Rams. AD isn't playing for free, btw (saying otherwise is essentially BS), he will make more than most working joes will earn in a lifetime. I'm not jealous and good for him that he can earn that kind of money. He, through his agent, is trying to shake down the Rams for a max contract when that's not possible this year.

Also, while AD does deserve a lot more money, he also has to give the Rams some sort of break for giving up a contract advantageous to them, so that he can have long term security and a huge amount of bonus money, but not necessarily a record breaking amount.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Yeah - whatever, AD.... Personally I can't differentiate between getting paid $75 million or $120 Million - over 5 years or 10 years, to play a game. A game, presumably he loves to play. Want to hold out for camp - fine by me, just come prepared to play. Want to be traded, fine by me also - we'll take 4 picks from whoever wants ya....

I'm over it.... I think.

FRO

Legend
It's hard for the players union to go against the owners because it's much easier to unite 32 owners than it is than it is almost 2,000 players. Many of those players are fringe players. In any line of work if you have an opportunity to make a ton of money, go for it. Donald deserves to be the highest defensive player in the game. He's that good. It would be bad business for him and the rest of the players for him to take anything less.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
If that's what he's worried about, I like the kid we drafted and not money hungry bastid he's become. JMHO
Dude, if he gets hurt in camp, the Rams aren't going to give him a new contract because he's a good guy.

F the owners, I don't blame him at all.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude, if he gets hurt in camp, the Rams aren't going to give him a new contract because he's a good guy.

Yeah cool let's him give him 20 mill a year for 7 years 80 mill guaranteed (lets not forget hi opt out clause after three years which he will use by the way ) Because the Rams are sitting bottom of the NFC west .. struggling to hit 5 wins a season ... because we can't tie up players like AO Gurley Goff and any other potential stars while Donald is sitting in his 30 million LA mansion

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

Or even if he gets hurt in game 1 of the regular season. Every snap he plays between today and payday is a 70+ million dollar risk. He can get insurance - but not for free - especially for a policy of that size.

But ... if the Rams have offered up guaranteed money in the area of biggest defensive contract ever - then he can't really pin it all on risk.

The other side that I think we (or at least I) fail to often appreciate is the pressure these guys get from the players association to max out these deals and work for player friendly structures.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If I remember right, the Rams signed a player named Roger Saffold to a new contract after getting rejected by Raiders doctor/failed physical.....AD is worth so much more than Roger Saffold...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

lol..Just as HE wouldn't give back a dime of a maxed out deal if he was signed to the dream contract and got hurt and never the same, would he? That shyte cuts both ways.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
If I remember right, the Rams signed a player named Roger Saffold to a new contract after getting rejected by Raiders doctor/failed physical.....AD is worth so much more than Roger Saffold...

Were those ridiculous numbers though? Seems like Donald wants to be the first NFL player to have a Billion dollar contract.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Were those ridiculous numbers though? Seems like Donald wants to be the first NFL player to have a Billion dollar contract.
There are always trade offs..If you want out of a contract that benefits the other side, you have to concede something to the party losing out (the Rams). No way you deserve the max in this scenario.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's hard for the players union to go against the owners because it's much easier to unite 32 owners than it is than it is almost 2,000 players. Many of those players are fringe players. In any line of work if you have an opportunity to make a ton of money, go for it. Donald deserves to be the highest defensive player in the game. He's that good. It would be bad business for him and the rest of the players for him to take anything less.
Yeah, when it's contract time, I agree. Not now.