Snead on negotiations with Aaron Donald: 'No movement'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Pay him, don't pay him, I don't even care anymore..... In a perfect world, all these guys outplaying their contract would get full market value AND players playing well below their current contract would give money back and get pay commensurate with the bottom tier guys in the league. But it's not a perfect world.

"Knock knock"

"Yes. Who is it?"

"It's Craig Dahl, Mr. Krohnke"

"Dahl! Get in here....did you bring your checkbook?"

"Yes sir. Ready to pay back my whole years salary..."

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
AD can "opt out" after he sits on his azz for the 2 years of his current contract.
Without pay too. It's a gamble for AD. Then the Rams could exercise the 5th year option as well couldn't they? Sit out the next three seasons and your value would go way down and so would your bank account. I just don't get how he has the leverage to remain out after the season starts. Betting on another DL injury? Betting on the Rams not being able to resist that their D goes from good without him to great with him? A little show of loyalty to his teammates would go along way this season with the "We Not Me" theme. Get a significant pay raise without trying to break the bank AD!

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Without pay too. It's a gamble for AD. Then the Rams could exercise the 5th year option as well couldn't they? Sit out the next three seasons and your value would go way down and so would your bank account. I just don't get how he has the leverage to remain out after the season starts. Betting on another DL injury? Betting on the Rams not being able to resist that their D goes from good without him to great with him? A little show of loyalty to his teammates would go along way this season with the "We Not Me" theme. Get a significant pay raise without trying to break the bank AD!

we have exercised the 5th year option ...we can keep AD for four years (starting this year ..2 years left on his contract and two years with the tag )

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If AD cannot get fired up to play in a Wade Phillips Defense, then he is much more stupid than I could have ever thought. That argument makes NO SENSE.

no sense huh ? ..how often have players been put into a difference defensive scheme and haven't excelled ? Barwin for instance is a better 3-4 OLB than 4-3 DE ..Adam Carriker was a better 3-4 DE than a 4-3 DT

threesox84

3rd Generation Ramwagoner
Name
Greg
no sense huh ? ..how often have players been put into a difference defensive scheme and haven't excelled ? Barwin for instance is a better 3-4 OLB than 4-3 DE ..Adam Carriker was a better 3-4 DE than a 4-3 DT

I think given Wade Phillips' recent track record it might be worth it for AD to at least give it a shot in this new scheme.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think given Wade Phillips' recent track record it might be worth it for AD to at least give it a shot in this new scheme.

I agree wholeheartedly

I'm just spitballing reasons why AD doesn't want to sign

Maybe he fears his production drops and he won't get the money

Zodi

Hall of Fame
No surprise there, dude's an uber-talented WR but he's soft as a sore vagina.

That's an insult to vaginas everywhere; at least they can take a pounding. :D

But OBJ's situation is exactly why talented players hold out. It makes sense, especially in Donald's case, where he's got lineman diving at his knees, players around him falling down while he's being pushed, etc. Hell, for all he knows, this next contract could be his last in the NFL. And when you consider the fact that players like AD or OBJ devote their entire existence to football and not much else... given the situation, I'd hold out, too.

Sappy113

Rookie
Man, I get why Donald would want a big pay-day. Dude's a baller. But... I have a difficult time digesting that he's strong-arming the team only 3 years into a deal that's a part of the CBA for a reason. Even in that scenario, one thing is trying to max out his contract, another is lining up ludicrous demands that could allow him to walk out early (again!) AFTER taking all the money.

It's likely naive, but I thought higher of Donald than that. Again, I understand he wants to make certain he receives a fat pay-day, but I thought he was also fueled by a love of football and a desire to do rights by his teammates. Right now, as it looks like we finally can field a decent O, he's holding the team hostage. I can't respect that. Hopefully he'll come in and actually honor the contract he signed himself.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every couple of days we need someone to tell us that he's going to come back before week 1. Even if it's a lie.

Sources are telling me Aaron will end the holdout soon. Possibly 1 more week.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
I don't think any less of AD and I'm optimistic they'll get a deal done soon. Then the Rams path to a deep playoff run will be paved.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Rumors going around about 6 years 120mil and he won't sign. Not sure if that's true or not

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every couple of days we need someone to tell us that he's going to come back before week 1. Even if it's a lie.

Sources are telling me Aaron will end the holdout soon. Possibly 1 more week.

Hell, I heard he was seen scoping out Cal Lutheran, watching practice wistfully......

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I don't know the ins and outs of NFL player contract rules and such. At what point does #99 have to cut a check to pay the fines? I've never heard of a player doing so. Stuff like that doesn't seem to be newsworthy.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I don't know the ins and outs of NFL player contract rules and such. At what point does #99 have to cut a check to pay the fines? I've never heard of a player doing so. Stuff like that doesn't seem to be newsworthy.

The team could ask for it anytime now but that would probably sour the negotiations right now

I'm glad they are still talking - that's better than a standoff

RedRam

Pro Bowler
The team could ask for it anytime now but that would probably sour the negotiations right now

I'm glad they are still talking - that's better than a standoff
Yeah, I can't imagine a player being too happy writing that check. But, it is part of the contract, albeit a useless part because I've never heard of it being enforced.

Personally, I'd like to see him cut the check to cover the fines. I think I could respect him more if he did so. I'm not expecting that to happen though. I don't think either side has the stones to make it happen.

Oh well, I've been a Rams fan for long enough to know how to handle disappointment! ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well looks like worst case we'll see him for week 8. I presume he'll be back at that point regardless, since that is where he gets another year of control added if he doesn't report.

Hopefully it won't come to that, though. What a damn shame to have this BS going on when there's so much hope in the air with this team.