Snead on negotiations with Aaron Donald: 'No movement'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not an intentional bump, out of random curiosity why haven't Clowney, Khalil Mack, Mike Evans, Zack Martin, and Blake Bortles held out as well?

because im purely speculating here so this is all my thinking
AD's agent has probably said to im

" Aaron you the best interior lineman in the NFL heck argualy the best defensive player in the NFL. Heres what we gonna do for you . We are going to make you the highest paid defensive player in the NFL but we are also gonna get you a three year opt out clause so if the rams dont make the playoffs or the superbowl in the next three years we can take our 80mil guaranteed and the 60 mill we earn over three years and go play cheap for a super bowl contender "

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

" Aaron you the best interior lineman in the NFL heck argualy the best defensive player in the NFL. Heres what we gonna do for you . We are going to make you the highest paid defensive player in the NFL but we are also gonna get you a three year opt out clause so if the rams dont make the playoffs or the superbowl in the next three years we can take our 80mil guaranteed and the 60 mill we earn over three years and go play cheap for a super bowl contender "

...which hopefully is seen for the nonsense contradiction it is, since making AD the highest paid defensive player decreases the odds of Rams playoffs/superbowl. I really hope AD is listening to other perspectives as well as France's.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
...which hopefully is seen for the nonsense contradiction it is, since making AD the highest paid defensive player decreases the odds of Rams playoffs/superbowl. I really hope AD is listening to other perspectives as well as France's.
Id hope the same

but

AD could look at it as a win win ..20 per year 80 mill guaranteed ..gets out of dodge and goes to a "legit" playoff team after three years still in his prime -

RamWoodie

Legend
They offered him a "significant" deal, which he refused. I don't know what that number is, but I would think it's a lot more than $6 million...
Ok. Well I said 6 mil just for this year. That is significant over 1.8 for this year.

Since Donald isn't talking, I have no idea what he expects. Suh's contract is really inflated...and that's bad for the Rams.

It reminds me how Bradford got his huge contract when he was drafted. He got more because of what the Jets overpaid Sanchez...:(

I would guess Donald wants "Suh money" as a start.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not an intentional bump, out of random curiosity why haven't Clowney, Khalil Mack, Mike Evans, Zack Martin, and Blake Bortles held out as well?

One (many on this site) could state cases that each of those individuals are damn near at the top of their respective positions, also designated at 5th year options.

I realize none of us have that defined explanation to actually know 'why' . This all feels to be so out of whack, abnormal sketchy, and freaked up. I don't recall the last time, albeit under this current CBA, any 1st round draftee plays major hardball such as AD99.

Or maybe this was a moot thought and response by yours truly. Back to the bong...

I wondered this about Mack.

To NFL fans in the know, Donald is definitely better than Mack - but as far as contracts go, the difference can be made to look negligible by his agent (and his ego). And to back him up, he won DPOY last year. With his sack production, an agent could easily say he's the best player in the NFL, even though it's not true.

So, great question: why hasn't Mack held out??

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Or, he just wants to be protected from injury and get out of TC and pre season ala Orlando Pace.

bluecoconuts

Legend

That's my guess, which explains why the Rams are saying "We'll negotiate if you come to camp" because that contradicts the whole "We not me" stuff. Why would the Rams offer up that much so a player can then go "Eh, fuck you, I'm done with you, 3 years in, especially when he's already saying "Ah, fuck you, pay me more" even though he's sitting out on his first contract after 3 years. You'd be a fool to sit there and give him that free pass, because basically you're saying "Hey, you're strong arming us here.. Lets do this again in 3 years, only instead of having all the leverage, we'll give you all the leverage.

That type of clause should be a non-starter for the vast majority of contracts. If Donald doesn't agree then we're gonna be here for a long time. That's not a trend you want starting in the league, it's not good for the game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

That type of clause will NEVER happen! JMHO

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's my guess, which explains why the Rams are saying "We'll negotiate if you come to camp" because that contradicts the whole "We not me" stuff. Why would the Rams offer up that much so a player can then go "Eh, freak you, I'm done with you, 3 years in, especially when he's already saying "Ah, freak you, pay me more" even though he's sitting out on his first contract after 3 years. You'd be a fool to sit there and give him that free pass, because basically you're saying "Hey, you're strong arming us here.. Lets do this again in 3 years, only instead of having all the leverage, we'll give you all the leverage.

That type of clause should be a non-starter for the vast majority of contracts. If Donald doesn't agree then we're gonna be here for a long time. That's not a trend you want starting in the league, it's not good for the game.

Four years is a long time either with the leverage the Rams have and how relatively cheap Donald will be is keep him two years and tag his ass for two ..... unless someone blew us away with an offer like thier entire draft and the year afters one and two

And before anyone rings up the ol team harmony stuff ... winning will cure a lot of ills and of players see you're doing right by the likes of Gurley Goff Alec via contracts ... they ain't gonna care

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
AD can "opt out" after he sits on his azz for the 2 years of his current contract.
Not if he sits out the entire two years. Plus then they can franchise him for three years.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I think he may not want to be a ram for a couple of reasons
First he may not think we win a superbowl anytime soon
Secondly .. he may not feel a 3-4 is the best fit for him
If AD cannot get fired up to play in a Wade Phillips Defense, then he is much more stupid than I could have ever thought. That argument makes NO SENSE.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Pay him, don't pay him, I don't even care anymore. Once a player starts holding the team hostage because he feels he's worth more than the CBA dictated he be paid, and wants out of his contract, (and two years early no less), then my eyes start glazing over with disinterest. In a perfect world, all these guys outplaying their contract would get full market value AND players playing well below their current contract would give money back and get pay commensurate with the bottom tier guys in the league. But it's not a perfect world.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would rather AD have a hall of fame career with the Rams - but with a salary cap the salary the Rams have to pay him matters too. I'm also wondering if another team is calling to offer a ton of picks for him. At some point the salary savings and the picks or players obtained in trade could possibly outweigh Donald's value to the Rams. Plus would send a message to the players that no one player is more important than the team.

All that saddens me, though. I'd much rather AD get a fair raise and stay with the Rams, but I'm beginning to doubt that will happen.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
OBJ just got jacked up on a low hit.

He is playing on his contract. Glad Donald is sitting out in a way ?

I'm sure he'll be back.

--Greg Williams defenses are dirty.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
OBJ just got jacked up on a low hit.

He is playing on his contract. Glad Donald is sitting out in a way ?

I'm sure he'll be back.

--Greg Williams defenses are dirty.

No surprise there, dude's an uber-talented WR but he's soft as a sore vagina.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Yea I would imagine that OBJ hit indirectly hurts us. It'l be discussed on social media all week, even next week leading up to the start of the season. Even tho AD plays D, a hit like that on a player will scare anyone in his (no doubt dumb) position.

I truly think AD shows up in a week or so.