Should Fisher start Cunningham?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I've thought about this. Gurleys struggles can't be all on the Oline. Benny might bring a little balance to the team and open up the run game.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Well, just because one facet of the offense is working, doesn't mean we shouldn't try to get it all clicking.
Just a thought. I'm 99.99999% sure it's not gonna happen anyway.

7kNeZ4.gif

You mean there's a chance?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
We are all grown ups. Sometimes you have to put your emotions to the side. Look if Gurley isnt producing throw in another RB to balance it out. If that doesnt work you narrow down to who may be at fault. I understand there is a tremendous amount of Gurley fans but like I said set the emotions aside and think rationally. We should expect more from Gurley because he was the one who made Zac Stacy want to be traded. I hope we see the Gurley we saw last season. Because i hope he isnt those RBs who shine the 1st season and dim as seasons go..

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Not suggesting we bench him. Cunningham isn't benched either.
Only suggesting we *start* Cunningham and rotate Gurley in.
Or, at a minimum, increase Benny's carries to see if it's a RB problem, or something more systemic.

Yeah, that's why I put the word in parenthesis. If we go Cunningham 60/40, or break out in our first series with Benny in the backfield, it will be presented in the media narrative as a benching. It will be Fisher's first question in his post-game press conference....and probably second and third.

"Coach Fisher, you don't have the first overall pick starting for you at quarterback, and now you have demoted your most talented player to that of a backup running back. At what point does the blame land at your feet, and the inability to coach..." :blah:

I follow you though, and agree, subtly adding a little more Benny in key situations Wouldn't be a bad idea.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Well, just because one facet of the offense is working, doesn't mean we shouldn't try to get it all clicking.
Just a thought. I'm 99.99999% sure it's not gonna happen anyway.

I think as long as teams are "selling out" to stop TGII our passing game is going to get better and better.

Eventually the Ram's win steak is going to reach a point where teams have to scheme to stop our passing game
Then we'll Enter PROBLEM SOLVED territory.

I just don't see teams finding success stopping both our rushing and passing attack.
It's a pick your poison.

So, yes. It's nice to have it all clicking. But with our team:...clicking back and forth.
Taking what they give us.
AND MAKING THEM PAY!

Go Rams.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Question: If and I think it's a big if, Fisher decided to start Benny, and they had some real success with Benny running the ball, what do you think it would do to Gurley's psyche?

I could see them develop a specific formation, or two, and develop a "gadget-type" play out of them, but I don't think they will stray away from what they are currently doing. I think it's hard enough getting all 11 guys all on the same page with the current playbook. Also, I've never been a fan of zone blocking schemes in the running game. I think you combo block from the D-Line to the next level. I've seen too many times where a lineman thinks the guy is blocked then moves to the second level to find the guy at the first level is unblocked and blowing up the play. I don't think zone schemes give the necessary "Push" needed to move the line of scrimmage forward.

All the talk after last season was how much Gurley was going to be the focus of the offense, especially with the O-Line having another year of experience together. Going into the season, teams knew Gurley was going to be the focus, because our passing game was not going to be initially strong, even if Goff was under center. So they have developed their schemes to shut him down. I would think Boras and the offensive coaching staff anticipated this and develop the game plan anticipating this. Personally, I don't think the coaches have been making the necessary in-game adjustments to get the run game going. I also think Gurley has been pressing a bit, and not allowing the O-Line time to create the running lanes. I remember Marshall Faulk talking about the success of running the ball. He stated the need to run "through" the hole and not "to" the hole. If you watch some of Gurley's runs he looks to be running hard to get to the hole and it hasn't yet developed. I liked how they threw him the ball last week. If teams only look at him as a runner, they will continue loading the box, but if he is a consistent threat receiving the ball then defenses will have to back off a bit. I also mentioned this in another thread, I really think the coaches should have more run/pass combo plays called in the huddle allowing Keenum to take advantage of the defense's weak area. If they can't do that, they need to allow him to audible out of a bad play call if necessary. I have noticed him getting to the line and "killing" part of a play call, but I've not seen him make any true audibles.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Question: If and I think it's a big if, Fisher decided to start Benny, and they had some real success with Benny running the ball, what do you think it would do to Gurley's psyche?
I considered that, and here's my answer.

So what.

Not trying to be insensitive or anything, but really ... so what.
If that would make him pout and he ends up putting his feelings over the good of the team, then how do you think that would go over?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would love starting Gurley at a WR position, to screw up game planning...

…..

Legend
Start.....NO.

But in favor of giving Cunningham a series in the 2nd and 3rd quarters....that would insure Todd has his sea legs in the 4th and would keep Benny game fresh. And give defenses something else to think about.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I considered that, and here's my answer.

So what.

Not trying to be insensitive or anything, but really ... so what.
If that would make him pout and he ends up putting his feelings over the good of the team, then how do you think that would go over?
Good point. It's all about production, and the best players play. I'm just a big ol' softy at heart! :grouphug:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Eh, I wouldn't. Gurley's presence alone has been forcing defenses to have linebackers and safeties position themselves at the line of scrimmage. With more gameplanning against our passing game, I expect Gurley to breakout sooner rather than later. Keenum's airing it out nicely but that's mainly due to constant one-on-one matchups against DBs

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Should Fisher start Cunningham?

@-X-
I don't ever wanna see Gurley out of the game...unless he asks out...If you're gonna smoke the sticky green this early in the afternoon, at least invite some homies!(y)
;):D:cool::party::sup::shades::shades::shades::shades:

I like this idea.
Veer_formation.jpg

Britt, Quick, Kendricks, Gurley, and Goff
Really fixed it for ya Leuzer!

I also think Gurley has been pressing a bit, and not allowing the O-Line time to create the running lanes. I remember Marshall Faulk talking about the success of running the ball. He stated the need to run "through" the hole and not "to" the hole. If you watch some of Gurley's runs he looks to be running hard to get to the hole and it hasn't yet developed.
Exactly....his style is too impatient at the moment....I'd rather he not touch the ball so much in the first half...back the defense off with PA fakes....and the occasional screen pass. I'd like them to fake the screen to him, and throw it to the opposite side of the field to Tavon...I'd like to see some halfback passes...and I mean a bunch of them....and I'd also like to see some wildcat stuff...with Tavon....but that's just me...

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Some people on his board just want second string players like Keenum and Cunningham starting
.... Are we really having this discussion

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
No. And I'm trying not to be mean here but this is one of the dumber threads I've seen here. Look at how opposing defenses line up and play when Benny is in compared to Todd. It's not even comparable. Benny has most of his yards from running on passing downs when opposing teams are backed off.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No. And I'm trying not to be mean here but this is one of the dumber threads I've seen here.
Said the Georgia fan.

Plus, you haven't been around long enough to see the TRULY stupid threads that have popped up here.
At any rate, I was just putting it out there. Something to think (and talk) about.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yep. That's why I said if Gurley struggles this week.
I'm relatively sure Benny would be good to go next week.
Sorry, I misunderstood you, I thought you where talking about starting Benny this week. I might agree about trying it next week!(y);):D