Should Fisher start Cunningham?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I don't think it has anything to do with draft status, Gurley is better and should start. rotating them more often wouldn't hurt though.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Something is off with Gurley from what I see. I say play whoever gives the better and more consistent effort. If that is Benny? Do it and don't think twice about it. You already have one high first rounder backing up a UDFA at the most important position. Maybe it will light a fire under TGs ass. He hasn't been constantly effective since week 8 last year .....

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I get the change in tactic, though I personally don't care about Gurley's numbers and would just as soon focus on taking what teams are giving us in the passing game by the attention that he draws.

But on that note, what about Malcolm Brown?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think simply bringing Gurley off the bench at this point in time would blow up in the face of the locker room.
I do like the idea of scheming the run game back to life as suggested by others in this thread.
2 back sets, re-implementing the Austin sweeps/fakes etc.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I wouldn't start him but I'd increase his carries a lot. He's only gotten 4 this year and I have no problem seeing him get 10 this Sunday.

If Gurley had gotten through the stacked box a few times it would have stopped, but alas it didn't happen.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I've thought about this. Gurleys struggles can't be all on the Oline. Benny might bring a little balance to the team and open up the run game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wouldn't start him but I'd increase his carries a lot. He's only gotten 4 this year and I have no problem seeing him get 10 this Sunday.
That's where I am too. Benny gets a fraction of the carries I think he should get, as illustrated below.
I really like the way he runs - especially when he gets in the open field.

6d8cce1d73b642ec9e03d73eef05eec9.png

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Most of Gurley's running plays are right behind Wichmann on the right. And every time Gurley runs on that side, he would run right into the back of Wichmann. Maybe the coaches should have Jamon Brown there instead? Or maybe have Gurley run left between Saffold and Robinson and help out the left side with a TE?

As far as running straight up in middle, Barnes does not have enough fast push forward to plow the lane open and Gurley would end up stopped at the LOS.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Start , probably not , might not hurt to give Cunningham a few more touches though

They need to work Gurley into the passing game more though , give him a few more screen passes

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't stroke out.
Don't take this as a Gurley criticism.
Get past the idea that it will never happen.

*SHOULD* Fisher start Cunningham if Gurley continues to struggle this week? Sure, it's probably all the O-line's fault (I don't think so), but most teams change things up when something isn't working or has come to the point that it is no longer working. Benny is a bigger threat in the passing game, and has a different style of running. He has a lower center of gravity, and he's a shiftier type of back. Gurley is more powerful (maybe), and is a one-cut, downhill type of runner. Since those one-cut opportunities aren't always there now, would it make sense to see if Benny can get the run game going? Or would that simply be a "slap-in-the-face" to Gurley due to his draft position and status as the #1? See, my position is, it really shouldn't matter where someone is drafted. If you're the better player, then you should be playing. Like if Pharoh Cooper started playing better than Austin in the Y, then play Cooper and let Austin be the backup.

Where did you get the idea that Cunningham is a bigger threat in the passing game than Gurley? The two plays Gurley made in last weeks game alone are better than any that Cunningham has made in the passing game. We use Benny on 3rd downs not because Gurley isn't capable of being an every down back - it's to limit his usage. Gurley is a better 3rd down back than Cunningham.

Also, Cunningham's stats are all going to be a little inflated from being the 3rd down back. He's made some important plays - don't get me wrong - I really like the guy. But his YPC is high because he gets the 3rd and 24 handoffs. His receiving numbers are boosted by 3rd and 24 check downs.

If anything I would try to start utilizing Gurley's speed with outside runs. It seems like most runs are just right into the teeth of the defense.

on the flip side, we seem to get called for holding anytime we do run to the outside...so that could be why.

But no, I definitely wouldn't start BC. The threat of Gurley has opened up the passing game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Where did you get the idea that Cunningham is a bigger threat in the passing game than Gurley?
Because he's been doing it longer and has more experience at it.

Also, Cunningham's stats are all going to be a little inflated from being the 3rd down back. He's made some important plays - don't get me wrong - I really like the guy. But his YPC is high because he gets the 3rd and 24 handoffs. His receiving numbers are boosted by 3rd and 24 check downs.
It's not really about stats. Both are capable of producing 4 yards per carry, but it's not about that. It's about trying something new and providing a spark in the run game.
If anything I would try to start utilizing Gurley's speed with outside runs. It seems like most runs are just right into the teeth of the defense.
Speed to hit the outside is useless if you can't get TO the edge. The Rams are doing it right by giving it to him on draws, off-tackle, traps, etc. There have been some opportunities for him to create some yardage, but he's not always seeing those opportunities. The O-line is also doing a poor job of creating clear running lanes, so it's not all on him.
But no, I definitely wouldn't start BC. The threat of Gurley has opened up the passing game.
Then wouldn't it follow that if Benny is in there, defenses will loosen up and play both the pass and the run - instead of just the run?
This would create opportunities in both facets of the offense.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I think simply bringing Gurley off the bench at this point in time would blow up in the face of the locker room.
I do like the idea of scheming the run game back to life as suggested by others in this thread.
2 back sets, re-implementing the Austin sweeps/fakes etc.
Exactly, you can run the sweep and end around with their fake options, all from the I formation, and you can still have Austin as a wide receiver threat.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Starting over him, no. Getting some more snaps other than 3rd down, yeah sure. On the same token, I'd like it if Gurley played more on 3rd down and in the passing game a little more as well. The running game isn't working so it's time to shake things up. Move the RBs around, rotate them differently to make it harder for defenses to guess what's coming, and for the love of god create stretching plays.

YES (y)

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's not really about stats. Both are capable of producing 4 yards per carry, but it's not about that. It's about trying something new and providing a spark in the run game.

Speed to hit the outside is useless if you can't get TO the edge. The Rams are doing it right by giving it to him on draws, off-tackle, traps, etc. There have been some opportunities for him to create some yardage, but he's not always seeing those opportunities. The O-line is also doing a poor job of creating clear running lanes, so it's not all on him.

Then wouldn't it follow that if Benny is in there, defenses will loosen up and play both the pass and the run - instead of just the run?

Yes it might loosen up for the run game - but we've won 3 straight games, so why make a change when the passing game is working so well?

Getting Gurley involved in the passing game (which it seems like they are doing) is just fine and will work much the same way as a handoff would.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I appreciate the discussion, but I don't sense that Gurley would respond to this type of "demotion" well. I think it would backfire. He is a man, and responds to respect, and encouragement.

Players respond to different methods. Yasil Puig, for example, was sent down to the minors as kind of a "wake up call" by the Dodgers and seemed to respond well. He came back up more focused and has played better. I think a demotion or dramatic cutback of playing time could lead to another Jerome Bettis scenario, or Dickerson. (In other words, we would lose him.)

I love that Fisher is not forcing Goff into the starting role at QB just to appease the media jackals. (Even though it invites criticism and mockery on him, and his coaching) I think this patience will pay off.

With Gurley, can you imagine the media squealing that would occur if we "benched" the most talented back in the NFL?

Fisher Benches Gurley!! The Incompetence Reaches New Heights!

I think Fisher would ignore the criticism and demote Todd if he thought it would help, but something tells me there are more urgent conversations happening with Mr. Boros, Mr. Groh and Mr. Boudreaux, rather than with Mr. Gurley.

:rant:"Break this guy loose guys! You better get this thing figured out!!" -Jeff Fisher

I can see Fisher adding Benny in more often, and adding in some of the sweeps and fake reverses, throwing more often on first down, etc. But the goal is to get Gurley going, and still have Benny second fiddle.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yes it might loosen up for the run game - but we've won 3 straight games, so why make a change when the passing game is working so well?

Getting Gurley involved in the passing game (which it seems like they are doing) is just fine and will work much the same way as a handoff would.
Well, just because one facet of the offense is working, doesn't mean we shouldn't try to get it all clicking.
Just a thought. I'm 99.99999% sure it's not gonna happen anyway.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
With Gurley, can you imagine the media squealing that would occur if we "benched" the most talented back in the NFL?
Not suggesting we bench him. Cunningham isn't benched either.
Only suggesting we *start* Cunningham and rotate Gurley in.
Or, at a minimum, increase Benny's carries to see if it's a RB problem, or something more systemic.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Doing the math over the time frame you point out Gurley is averaging 1.7 receptions per game and Benny 1.6. Granted Gurley is on the field more but Benny during the time Gurley has been here is almost always on 3rd and obvious passing downs so it evens out.