Should Fisher start Cunningham?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Don't stroke out.
Don't take this as a Gurley criticism.
Get past the idea that it will never happen.

*SHOULD* Fisher start Cunningham if Gurley continues to struggle this week? Sure, it's probably all the O-line's fault (I don't think so), but most teams change things up when something isn't working or has come to the point that it is no longer working. Benny is a bigger threat in the passing game, and has a different style of running. He has a lower center of gravity, and he's a shiftier type of back. Gurley is more powerful (maybe), and is a one-cut, downhill type of runner. Since those one-cut opportunities aren't always there now, would it make sense to see if Benny can get the run game going? Or would that simply be a "slap-in-the-face" to Gurley due to his draft position and status as the #1? See, my position is, it really shouldn't matter where someone is drafted. If you're the better player, then you should be playing. Like if Pharoh Cooper started playing better than Austin in the Y, then play Cooper and let Austin be the backup.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
katt-uhh-no.gif

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I wouldn't start Benny over Gurley, but I wouldn't mind seeing a 2 backs in the backfield to give some additional options. With Benny's pass catching ability a LB wouldn't as easily be able to isolate on Gurley.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I love Gurley but would like them to switch him to the third down back for some of the same to let him get different looks and maybe some success to get him going. I don't ever think it is bad to change things up to throw off a defensive strategy.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
"We'll get him going. I mean you look at a few runs and he's really close."

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
No, Benny is a good 3rd down back but that is all. His ball security scares me

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're winning with the starters on offense right now why make a change. Bit of irony there for you me saying that.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Don't stroke out.
Don't take this as a Gurley criticism.
Get past the idea that it will never happen.

*SHOULD* Fisher start Cunningham if Gurley continues to struggle this week? Sure, it's probably all the O-line's fault (I don't think so), but most teams change things up when something isn't working or has come to the point that it is no longer working. Benny is a bigger threat in the passing game, and has a different style of running. He has a lower center of gravity, and he's a shiftier type of back. Gurley is more powerful (maybe), and is a one-cut, downhill type of runner. Since those one-cut opportunities aren't always there now, would it make sense to see if Benny can get the run game going? Or would that simply be a "slap-in-the-face" to Gurley due to his draft position and status as the #1? See, my position is, it really shouldn't matter where someone is drafted. If you're the better player, then you should be playing. Like if Pharoh Cooper started playing better than Austin in the Y, then play Cooper and let Austin be the backup.
Even IF I where to consider starting Cunningham ahead of Gurley, which I'm not, I wouldn't this week simply because Benny got a little dinged up in last weeks game and I'm not sure of his condition!
But taking your Talking points into consideration, I would try to use Benny more in the first half! JMO

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I would like to see Todd in there a bit more on 3rd down. Obviously he did well last week when Benny couldn't go w/ the hamstring problem. But using both together would certainly change the expected result on the defenses. Also using the jet sweep fake (before not after....) would free up things as well. (motion Austin almost right on QB left to right, QB spins to right fakes handoff, then hands off to Gurley going over left Guard or tackle, The defensive shift to keep up w/ Austin should allow blocks that open a nice hole)

Psycho_X

Legend
Starting over him, no. Getting some more snaps other than 3rd down, yeah sure. On the same token, I'd like it if Gurley played more on 3rd down and in the passing game a little more as well. The running game isn't working so it's time to shake things up. Move the RBs around, rotate them differently to make it harder for defenses to guess what's coming, and for the love of god create stretching plays.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Gurley struggling is 110% why the passing game is working. We're getting one on one coverage with Gurley back there. Notice when Benny comes in there's no extra players in the box. That means there's someone on the team being completely blanketed, which means Keenum needs to be able to fit the ball into tight windows, and he cant do consistently. Leave Gurley in if you want to win.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
I wouldn't start Benny over Gurley, but I wouldn't mind seeing a 2 backs in the backfield to give some additional options. With Benny's pass catching ability a LB wouldn't as easily be able to isolate on Gurley.
I like this idea.
Veer_formation.jpg

Britt, Austin, Kendricks, Gurley, and Cunningham

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
:LOL: there's no way our blocking would hold up for that long; especially against the Bills. But I wouldn't mind seeing this formation a couple times in the game on Sunday. Do you run with Gurley? A pass to Cunningham? A play action with one and screen to the other? End around with Austin? Do I sound insane??
:mrburnsevil:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Even IF I where to consider starting Cunningham ahead of Gurley, which I'm not, I wouldn't this week simply because Benny got a little dinged up in last weeks game and I'm not sure of his condition!
Yep. That's why I said if Gurley struggles this week.
I'm relatively sure Benny would be good to go next week.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Start him? I don't think so. Sprinkle him in? Sure!

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the other defense doesn't see that Gurley is out there, they probably think it's a passing play. So they might not stack the box against him. In that way, maybe it's useful.