Should Fisher start Cunningham?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We didn't see this many men in the box each and every run play last year. And you are wrong on better production last year. Keenums starts last year we averaged 173 yards a game passing. We're doing better this year which still isn't good.
I guess I would be wrong if I (or you) were talking about the passing yards last year.
Let's recap.

You: we have at least 8 men in the box almost every time we run. If we had a passing game we wouldn't face that.
Me: Explain last year then. Same personnel, same level of QB play, better results.

For example. Last year, against Detroit, Keenum was the QB and Gurley had 140 yards rushing and 2 TDs. So I don't buy the reasoning that Keenum being the QB limits what Gurley can do, or that "if we had a passing game we wouldn't face that." Keenum had 124 yards passing in that game with zero TDs and one interception, yet Gurley ran wild. They weren't afraid of Keenum last year. They knew Gurley was our offense. The difference last year was that Cignetti was drawing up some decent run game plays, they were alternating in Tre Mason and Tavon Austin, they used motion, they used a lead blocker, and they were able to run on whatever front Detroit was rolling out. Even 7 or 8 in the box - like so:

upload_2016-10-7_19-33-10.png

upload_2016-10-7_19-34-30.png

upload_2016-10-7_19-37-46.png

My opinion is that the playcalling for Gurley - and the run game in general - is not nearly as creative as it was last year.
But it really is much easier to blame the QB. Especially when we have a generational talent on the bench. Everything will be A OK once he gets in.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So, still no?

Ajb44

Rookie
Name
Alex
He gets more yards everytime he touches the ball. Can't hurt

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don't stroke out.
Don't take this as a Gurley criticism.
Get past the idea that it will never happen.

*SHOULD* Fisher start Cunningham if Gurley continues to struggle this week? Sure, it's probably all the O-line's fault (I don't think so), but most teams change things up when something isn't working or has come to the point that it is no longer working. Benny is a bigger threat in the passing game, and has a different style of running. He has a lower center of gravity, and he's a shiftier type of back. Gurley is more powerful (maybe), and is a one-cut, downhill type of runner. Since those one-cut opportunities aren't always there now, would it make sense to see if Benny can get the run game going? Or would that simply be a "slap-in-the-face" to Gurley due to his draft position and status as the #1? See, my position is, it really shouldn't matter where someone is drafted. If you're the better player, then you should be playing. Like if Pharoh Cooper started playing better than Austin in the Y, then play Cooper and let Austin be the backup.

Well I wish he would have done it last season to finish off the 9ers instead of starting Tre Mason .

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, still no?

Still no. OL isn't going to do more for Benny or Brown than it is for Gurley.

He gets more yards everytime he touches the ball. Can't hurt

He's been just as ineffective as Gurley except for that 22 yard run on 3rd and 17 when Tampa Bay wasn't expecting it. The OL simply isn't creating running lanes.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
While I get what you're saying, because I thought the same exact thing when Gurley kept running into a pile over and over vs TB, Benny came in with the same OL and defense and broke for like 20. I'm just a firm believer of paying the best guy you got and getting them reps so i gota keep banging the ball out with Gurley. No disrespect to Benny.

Ajb44

Rookie
Name
Alex
He's been just as ineffective as Gurley except for that 22 yard run on 3rd and 17 when Tampa Bay wasn't expecting it. The OL simply isn't creating running lanes.[/QUOTE]
I agree somewhat. I mean there's been plenty of HUGE gaping misses by Gurley that we never saw last year. Not sure what TF we need to do to establish a run game but whatever it is I hope it comes together soon lol. Idc who's running the ball as long as we win

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree somewhat. I mean there's been plenty of HUGE gaping misses by Gurley that we never saw last year. Not sure what TF we need to do to establish a run game but whatever it is I hope it comes together soon lol. Idc who's running the ball as long as we win

I tried to find these plays against the Giants, and I couldn't. Gurley got what was there in that game. I don't doubt that he's missed a few holes this year. He's human. But I don't believe for a second that other HBs would be doing much more than Gurley has with the blocking this year.

Ajb44

Rookie
Name
Alex
I tried to find these plays against the Giants, and I couldn't. Gurley got what was there in that game. I don't doubt that he's missed a few holes this year. He's human. But I don't believe for a second that other HBs would be doing much more than Gurley has with the blocking this year.
Definitely. It's only a few here and there but it's normal to miss some, we're just spoiled from Gurleys production last year. Expecting every run to be big!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Still no. OL isn't going to do more for Benny or Brown than it is for Gurley.
Well that's obvious.
But maybe Benny will do more for the OL.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
No, but Benny should be a bigger part of the Offense. Boras has gotten better of late with his play calls, however I still think he could do things like line up Gurley outside and hand the ball off to Benny. Rather see him taking handoffs than Austin.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I was for Benny getting more touches then, as I am now. I realize the OL has been sub par. I realize there are stacked boxes. I also see a different RB in TG than I did last year. I won't even go into it, as there are people here who will attack any perceived slight against him, but he shares responsibility for his production. I see a difference in him in his pressers also. He seems pouty to me in some of them. Agitated in others. Something ain't right with that dude right now.

Benny is a gamer and deserves a chance at more carries. He has answered the bell pretty much every time he has been called on and has made some HUGE plays for this team. As others have noted, Boras needs to create more misdirection and bring back some of the creative stuff in the run game from last year. He seems to have opened up the passing game at the expense of the run scheme this year. One may be a byproduct of the other I guess. Tavon seems to be running more go and post routes and taking defenders with him to open up the intermediate routes this year, which would obviously make it tougher to use him in the run game. Who knows. Just my .02.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd totally be up for starting Cunningham, I mean how much worse can he be?
I doubt he'd throw 4 INT and could probably run for a bunch of TD
I'd prefer Goff be the one, but sure we could try Cunningham at QB, why not

Oh wait, you were talking about starting at RB?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'd totally be up for starting Cunningham, I mean how much worse can he be?
I doubt he'd throw 4 INT and could probably run for a bunch of TD
I'd prefer Goff be the one, but sure we could try Cunningham at QB, why not

Oh wait, you were talking about starting at RB?
Ari-Gold-Nope-Disappointed-What.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Still no....but I can agree with, we need to mix them more effectively...there is no reason to get Gurley all beat up while he's in this funk...Hell, play M. Brown some too...we need about 25-32 carries from the RB's...and I like Gurley taking 15-18 of those...Maybe 5-8 passes...

I want gurley on the field for every down, especially 3rd down. He should only be off the field when he needs a breather.

I was like this too...but at this point, until we iron out the kinks in the offense, no reason to run this stud into the ground....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would start Benny, and then use a RB rotation, I think Benny can help get the O-Line into a groove!

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Totally agree. TOTALLY.
Here are his splits so far. I mean, c'mon. Mix it up a little. Mostly no motion, mostly big sets.

31b35f7dc1e343e69526c6d5c2a9a94d.png
Couldn't agree more X.I have also noticed the zone blocking scheme that we ran last year
has disappeared.Gurley seemed to have alot of success running the one cut and go
zone stuff.They also have dropped the ball action wind back stuff with Tavon.
Back to your OP.I would like to see more of Benny,If for nothing more than to see how
he fares with our Oline.I don't think we should start him,because I don't think that
would be good for Gurley's confidence.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He won't. And it'll make things tougher on the QB.
Could also have the reverse effect. If teams are loading up the box for Gurley, and don't have the same respect for Benny so they soften up and play more zone coverage while committing less to stopping the run, it could actually work in favor of Benny and give him more room and more opportunities. I understand your point about it hurting the QB, but we don't know that would be the case until we actually see it. I also don't think people appreciate the kind of runner Benny is. He's not one-cut, so a different running style might be able to spark something. He'll never get the nod over Todd, I do know that. But I wouldn't mind seeing him getting about twice as many opportunities.

JackStraw

Rookie
The more Benny plays the more the opposing defense has to ask themselves WTF is going on here? Coach...?
Take 'em away from their game plan