Should Fisher start Cunningham?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Said the Georgia fan.

Plus, you haven't been around long enough to see the TRULY stupid threads that have popped up here.
At any rate, I was just putting it out there. Something to think (and talk) about.

I've watched every carry Gurley has had since his first one at Georgia. I've watched him play at 100%, seen him play on a sprained ankle and pulled hamstring, seen him play at different weights from 218-240. I know when Todd looks right and when he doesn't. Todd isn't the problem. Is he playing his best football right now? No. But he is also averaging 11 INCHES before contact. No running back in the NFL has less room to run than he does right now. Oh and by the way, Todd had almost as many receiving yards in his injury-riddled Sophomore season (441) than Cunningham had in 4 years at college (465). Gurley is a better receiver than Benny is.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've watched every carry Gurley has had since his first one at Georgia. I've watched him play at 100%, seen him play on a sprained ankle and pulled hamstring, seen him play at different weights from 218-240. I know when Todd looks right and when he doesn't. Todd isn't the problem. Is he playing his best football right now? No. But he is also averaging 11 INCHES before contact. No running back in the NFL has less room to run than he does right now. Oh and by the way, Todd had almost as many receiving yards in his injury-riddled Sophomore season (441) than Cunningham had in 4 years at college (465). Gurley is a better receiver than Benny is.
That's all well and good, but that's not what I'm talking about. This was never intended to be a discussion about who the better RB is. For proof of that, look at my OP and see if I say Cunningham is the better player. I didn't. I did say he's a bigger threat as a receiver, and I stand by that. Stats when they were in college mean exactly nothing right now. If they meant anything, Keenum would be the best QB in the NFL by a pretty large margin, considering he holds all-time NCAA record for touchdowns. As @Memphis Ram pointed out a while back (and a lot of people should be aware of it):

Gurley's best numbers come from when he's broken 1-2 huge runs NO MATTER WHO was at QB. Otherwise his numbers have been rather pedestrian no matter who is the QB.

49 yard run vs. the Lions. 34 yard run vs. Arizona. Both happened with Keenum starting last year.

The difference this year? He's yet to have those 1-2 huge runs to skew his numbers.
If Cunningham, for whatever reason (luck, divine intervention, magic, voodoo) can get the run game going, then why not try it?
What could it possibly hurt? Teams do it all the time with different positions. Todd isn't exempt from being held accountable.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
That's all well and good, but that's not what I'm talking about. This was never intended to be a discussion about who the better RB is. For proof of that, look at my OP and see if I say Cunningham is the better player. I didn't. I did say he's a bigger threat as a receiver, and I stand by that. Stats when they were in college mean exactly nothing right now. If they meant anything, Keenum would be the best QB in the NFL by a pretty large margin, considering he holds all-time NCAA record for touchdowns.

I brought up the college stats because Todd hasn't had a full year of being an NFL back. The Rams didn't want to use Gurley much in the passing game last year because of his knee. They have yet to really give him a chance this year either. I don't think many of y'all know how good Todd was in college when asked to catch the ball out of the backfield. So take it from someone who has actually seen all of Gurley's college tape, he's a better receiver than Benny and the numbers back that up.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I brought up the college stats because Todd hasn't had a full year of being an NFL back. The Rams didn't want to use Gurley much in the passing game last year because of his knee. They have yet to really give him a chance this year either. I don't think many of y'all know how good Todd was in college when asked to catch the ball out of the backfield. So take it from someone who has actually seen all of Gurley's college tape, he's a better receiver than Benny and the numbers back that up.
Maybe, maybe not. But let's just give you that and say he is. So what. My main point wasn't centered around sparking the passing game. I said provide a spark to the run game. Fisher did that in 2012 with Daryl Richardson and Steven Jackson. A couple of games that year (WSH and MIA), he gave Richardson as many or more carries than Jackson in order to get something going. That was Steven Jackson, and Richardson was a 7th rounder. So setting aside your extreme affinity for Gurley, why would it be an outlandish thing to see Cunningham start (or at a minimum get as many or more carries)? You won't know if it's a RB problem or something else unless you try something else.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure why we can't trot out some three or four WR sets and try to force the defence out of the 8-9 men in the box and run gurley from that

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Maybe, maybe not. But let's just give you that and say he is. So what. My main point wasn't centered around sparking the passing game. I said provide a spark to the run game. Fisher did that in 2012 with Daryl Richardson and Steven Jackson. A couple of games that year (WSH and MIA), he gave Richardson as many or more carries than Jackson in order to get something going. That was Steven Jackson, and Richardson was a 7th rounder. So setting aside your extreme affinity for Gurley, why would it be an outlandish thing to see Cunningham start (or at a minimum get as many or more carries)? You won't know if it's a RB problem or something else unless you try something else.

I have absolutely no problem with giving Benny more touches. He's a good back. However, starting him would be asinine. You start the best player, and that's Todd by a mile. And imagine what would happen if they didn't start Gurley. Not only would it bother Todd but he and the coaches would also have to answer a million questions about why he didn't start. So let's recap: Todd is a better runner, a better receiver, and his starting causes less drama for the team, the coaches, and himself. I really don't see any upside to starting Cunningham. However, I wouldn't mind getting him more touches going forward. Fresh legs are a good thing to have in the backfield.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not sure why we can't trot out some three or four WR sets and try to force the defence out of the 8-9 men in the box and run gurley from that
Totally agree. TOTALLY.
Here are his splits so far. I mean, c'mon. Mix it up a little. Mostly no motion, mostly big sets.

31b35f7dc1e343e69526c6d5c2a9a94d.png

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I want gurley on the field for every down, especially 3rd down. He should only be off the field when he needs a breather.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Don't stroke out.
Don't take this as a Gurley criticism.
Get past the idea that it will never happen.

*SHOULD* Fisher start Cunningham if Gurley continues to struggle this week? Sure, it's probably all the O-line's fault (I don't think so), but most teams change things up when something isn't working or has come to the point that it is no longer working. Benny is a bigger threat in the passing game, and has a different style of running. He has a lower center of gravity, and he's a shiftier type of back. Gurley is more powerful (maybe), and is a one-cut, downhill type of runner. Since those one-cut opportunities aren't always there now, would it make sense to see if Benny can get the run game going? Or would that simply be a "slap-in-the-face" to Gurley due to his draft position and status as the #1? See, my position is, it really shouldn't matter where someone is drafted. If you're the better player, then you should be playing. Like if Pharoh Cooper started playing better than Austin in the Y, then play Cooper and let Austin be the backup.
Sorry, don't mean to be too negative in responsive to a creative idea, but imo this is one of the last things the Rams should consider in terms of who should be playing.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Iowa Ram.jpg

Start , probably not , might not hurt to give Cunningham a few more touches though

They need to work Gurley into the passing game more though , give him a few more screen passes
I think @IowaRam makes a good point. Gur.....:eek: CLoowwwwnnnnsss!! Crap. they took over his avatar and his computer!

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
My main point wasn't centered around sparking the passing game. I said provide a spark to the run game.

65319543.jpg

What's your point dude?
Why does the running game need a spark?

Week 5 2015
Rams 10 Green Bay Packers 24
T.Gurley
30 Carries
150 Yards

If it ain't broke?.......

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I wouldn't start Benny over Gurley, but I wouldn't mind seeing a 2 backs in the backfield to give some additional options. With Benny's pass catching ability a LB wouldn't as easily be able to isolate on Gurley.
I would like to see some two-back sets as well. Use Gurley and Cunningham, Gurley and Austin, Gurley and a TE... They should be able to draw some things up that would create more open space for running and throwing to the backs. They've got to get more creative because the line hasn't shown the ability to just plow the road alone. A little misdirection could help the OL get more leverage to move bodies where they want them to go.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
65319543.jpg

What's your point dude?
Why does the running game need a spark?

Week 5 2015
Rams 10 Green Bay Packers 24
T.Gurley
30 Carries
150 Yards

If it ain't broke?.......
That was last year, m'man. This year the Rams rank 30th in rushing yards per game, 30th in rushing yards per attempt, 30th in 10+ yard rushes (big plays), and 30th in rushing TDs, despite the fact that 45% of their offensive plays are rushing plays (7th highest average in the league).

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
First, I just want to start with this, creepy clowns taste like chicken (or Cardinals) and
second, I would like to see them fake to TG and give to TA on some of the runs. If they want to key on Gurley let them and then let them try to chase down Tavon and his eight yards a carry.:mrburnsevil::football:

Debacled

Starter
I like the idea of working Gurley into the passing game more, as of now they have him come off the field for 3rd downs (I think primarily because you can't reasonably give him 30+ touches a game and expect him to hold up).

I don't like the idea of taking touches away from him to "try something different". Would the offense see less stacked boxes with him off the field? Likely, but its not like the passing game is a huge threat at any point really. Different running styles aside I don't think just giving Benny more touches to get him more touches would really change much of anything.

The running game is going to continue to be a mess until #1 the passing game gets a little respect, and #2 the line manages to get some better openings for the running game. They kind of go hand in hand because the LOS is going to stay crowded until teams have a reason to no longer do it.

Ram4life11

Rookie
This question is probably hard for for most Gurley fans to answer or understand.. Is Gurley better than Cunningham as a Rb, from what I seen in college, and his rookie season, YES NOT EVEN CLOSE. But that's where things tricky for me. Gurley isn't playing at the same level he was playing at his first 8 weeks of his rookie year. Weather it's due to the line not blocking well, or the 8 man boxes he's seeing. A change wouldn't hurt.

Cunningham over the years has been a very reliable and almost always consistent back, he's made many big plays with his limited opportunities over the years. And even though he's an udfa, it says a lot about his skill set how he's really the only back that has stuck around over the past years.. Sticking around over the likes of Darryl Richardson, Isiah Pead, Zac Stacy, & Tre Mason.

I say give it a try, the running game can't get any worse than what it already is, hell it might wake Gurley up and help get him going..