Should Fisher Be The HC In 2016?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should Fisher Be The HC In 2016?

• Total voters

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Then go have that discussion in that thread instead of complaining here. I gave you "crap" (i.e. disagreed with you) because you didn't like the Rams bringing in a bunch of rookie OLs this off-season.

Yes, off with his head. Coming into the season, that was the bar I set for him.
not a complaint just an observation of contradicting veiws of the one you quoted me on earlier.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
No. We can't keep him. I would like to keep Snead and Demoff, but I can't keep Fisher, Williams, or any coach aside from maybe a few position coaches. The reputation against us is so stained that it'll never come out as long as he's coaching. And I'm honestly tired of hearing him speak, I'm tired of seeing him call out players like G-Rob but never Cook or Foles, I'm tired of seeing him lose this team.

No, I don't want to keep him. Four years is long enough.

I have to disagree a bit...I don't think letting Williams go is a good idea at all...Secondly, regardless of the results (or lack thereof), Fisher never has and never will lose this team...He is the epitome of a player's coach, perhaps far too much so...JMHO. as always...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
not a complaint just an observation of contradicting veiws of the one you quoted me on earlier.

The views aren't contradicting. You just didn't bother to ask the right question.

In fact, the views have nothing to do with each other. I told you that I wanted the Rams to address the OL with young draft picks rather than throw washed up vets at it. If anything, that indicates that I am unhappy with the Rams plan to handle the OL prior to this off-season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually I need at the very minimum with the caveat that he make changes on the offensive side of the ball by going in another direction with a new offensive coordinator, offensive line coach and wide receiver coach.

Only one year for Frank Cignetti, but Tim Walton got a year too. Hire Ken Whisenhunt as the offensive coordinator and lean on Whiz for a WR and OL coach unless for some reason the Steelers let Mike Munchak go. If Fisher refuses then, which he won't, then make a change.

I don't have the same issues with Sherman and Boudreau that you do. Although, I might make a change with Boudreau due to his health.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Could we not become the Cardinals of the NFC? They went through as many coaches in the 20 years preceding Arinas as the Rams have had in their 20 years in St. Louis.

Yeah, and how bad were they? Terrible. God awful. The coaches couldn't hold the locker room together (Ken Whisenhunt, Dennis Green...."crown em!"), signing past their prime FAs (Emmitt Smith lolz), etc etc. What did that get them? A bunch of crap and 1 good season where they go to the Super Bowl. And even that was a 9-7 year.

Do you think he's just been unlucky so far

Yes, I really do. You name me one coach that's gone through 6 QBs in 4 years, injuries at every other position seemingly every year, and changing coordinators every year, all the while developing a young roster and upgrading every spot outside of Chris Long, Robert Quinn, and James Laurinaitis thanks to Billy Devaney and friends.

Never once under Jeff Fisher if they lost a game one week I thought they were done the next. When they play out there they go like they give a shit. That shows me the team follows this coach no matter what. They've beaten teams that are playoff contenders. They've beaten teams they should beat. How the hell is the coach supposed to control other factors like injuries, judgment officiating, or lack of execution? You can't just blanket statement a loss on the coach. It's damn time the Rams stay the freakin course.

WvuIN02

Starter
It just stinks to think they could have probably traded out of the Grob pick and still gotten guys like Zack Martin and Derek Carr in that 2014 draft.

The 2nd overall pick should be making a big impact right now. Jake Matthews from the same class has been graded much higher, and was drafted several spots later.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Absolutely.

Honestly, not much interested in the rest of this season. It's basically over - we had a chance and fucked the dog.

But I want Fisher to get his five years. He has built a team from a dumpster fire.

BTW - it's a QB driven league, and we haven't had one. You can try and lay that on Fisher, but it's simply not his fault. Shit happens, and you can play the "he shoulda' done this and and and, but that's just typical fantasy football bullshit mentality.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
You look at the remaining schedule and we are 8-8 so I will make it easy above 8-8 and he is back under 8-8 and he is gone.
He can't control how other teams play so I can't say playoffs or bust but he can directly affect our record so lets see what ya got kid.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok. So you post a poll question and then you follow up by questioning those who don't give you the answer you want?

Interesting

Sorry for wanting to try and understand why people have the opinion that they do, that's my bad for believing that this is a message board. The answer that @Angry Ram (and having caught up on the rest of the thread others) provided was very convincing, and I now better understand why so many are still in support of Fisher.

Clearly you have a problem with what I post, so from now on I'm going to PM you my posts for pre-approval :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How does anyone hold the HC responsible for player injuries and what they do to the W/L record? They have not had REAL QB play a full season since the first year he was hired. This year and last the Oline have been a shambles. The POS he inherited just became NFL ready this year and even that is being overly optimistic. I'm as tired of losing seasons as anyone but bringing in a new coaching staff is just going to prolong the playoffs for a couple more years. And even then IF they made it, it would be because of the work Fisher and Snead have done to clean this freaking mess up.

Ya know, this is where I stood until this year. At this point, I can't justify keeping Fisher with that argument. Guys like Bruce Arians and Mike Zimmer have come in and gotten their teams in position to make the playoffs. Now, it would be unrealistic to expect Fisher to do that with the 2012 Rams. The 2011 Rams were a terrible football team. And honestly, I'd say that 7-8-1 with the 2012 Rams was overachieving. I gave him a pass in 2013 and 2014 because of Bradford. But I'm all out of passes. The team we have this year is the sort of team that guys like Arians and Zimmer manage to win with.

Hell, look at the new HCs in Todd Bowles, Jack Del Rio, and John Fox. They've managed to get their teams playing arguably above their potential.

It's easy to say the Rams haven't had a real QB...but doesn't that blame fall on Fisher? I can't blame them for Bradford. I would have stuck with him too. I can't call that the wrong choice. So I'll give them a pass on that. But I can blame them for Foles. We had other options. He was the option they chose. And he was the wrong option.

The Browns were willing to deal a first for Bradford. We could have accepted that deal and traded for Glennon or Ryan Fitzpatrick to be our starting QB in 2015. There was a rumor that Jay Cutler was available. They made the wrong choice.

I don't think hiring a new HC necessarily hurts us. If we hire a good HC, it'll get us closer (and possibly into the playoffs). If we hire a bad HC, it gets us much further away. That's the rub. But it's getting harder and harder to justify another year with Fisher.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You name me one coach that's gone through 6 QBs in 4 years

I think part of my problem with Fisher is how much of that is on him.

2013: Not much, injuries happen, I doubt anyone could have predicted Bradford getting injured.

2014: You've got a QB coming off a major injury, you rush him back, and as a back up, arguably the most likely back up to see playing time in 2014, you sign a guy who hasn't started a game in 3 years, a guy who you your self decide isn't worth re-signing a year later. But that's OK because you get lucky, he get injured and it just so happens that you have a young guy with talent on the bench (OK maybe the fact I liked Davis is clouding my judgement), only problem is your D isn't ready until the half way point of the season, and the OL you've assembled is so bad that it gets your QB sacked 7 times in a single game, destroying any confidence that he had.

2015: You hand pick your QB, you decide that along with a future 2nd round pick he's worth more to you than the 1st round pick Cleveland is offering you. You decide that he's so good that he's worth a 2 year contract extension sight unseen, then 5 games in (in Fisher's own words) you begin to consider dropping him, and he plays so badly that by the end of game 9 he finally forces your hand and you are left with a guy who wasn't good enough to be on your active roster the previous season.

and upgrading every spot outside of Chris Long, Robert Quinn, and James Laurinaitis thanks to Billy Devaney and friends.

That's the other part of my problem, on O outside of RB I don't see much improvement at all, we have possibly the worst group of receivers (both WR and TE) in the league, the worst OL in the league, and it remains to be seen if we have the worst starting QB in the league, or just a bad one (or maybe a miracle will happen), and that's evidenced by our 31st ranked O, and how many HCs get 18 top 100 picks and 6 first round picks to improve a team?

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All comes down to one question:

Do you believe a Jeff Fisher led team can win the Superbowl?

No.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Playoffs or bust. 4 years is reasonable to expect that.

The OL issues were entirely predicable. Many of the people on this board saw this coming.

I don't even know how he's built a reputation as a team builder. When he got here we had offensive line issues, a derth of offensive playmakers, etc.

4 years later and more top draft selections than anyone I've ever seen later, we have a good gadget slot receiver and a good RB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think part of my problem with Fisher is how much of that is on him.

2013: Not much, injuries happen, I doubt anyone could have predicted Bradford getting injured.

2014: You've got a QB coming off a major injury, you rush him back, and as a back up, arguably the most likely back up to see playing time in 2014, you sign a guy who hasn't started a game in 3 years, a guy who you your self decide isn't worth re-signing a year later. But that's OK because you get lucky, he get injured and it just so happens that you have a young guy with talent on the bench (OK maybe the fact I liked Davis is clouding my judgement), only problem is your D isn't ready until the half way point of the season, and the OL you've assembled is so bad that it gets your QB sacked 7 times in a single game, destroying any confidence that he had.

2015: You hand pick your QB, you decide that along with a future 2nd round pick he's worth more to you than the 1st round pick Cleveland is offering you. You decide that he's so good that he's worth a 2 year contract extension sight unseen, then 5 games in (in Fisher's own words) you begin to consider dropping him, and he plays so badly that by the end of game 9 he finally forces your hand and you are left with a guy who wasn't good enough to be on your active roster the previous season.

That's the other part of my problem, on O outside of RB I don't see much improvement at all, we have possibly the worst group of receivers (both WR and TE) in the league, the worst OL in the league, and it remains to be seen if we have the worst starting QB in the league, or just a bad one (or maybe a miracle will happen), and that's evidenced by our 31st ranked O, and how many HCs get 18 top 100 picks and 6 first round picks to improve a team?

Yea, I think you liking Davis is definitely clouding your judgement.

Disagree on the improvement. There's plenty of it. We have one of the top 5 most talented defenses in football. We have one of the best special teams units in football. We have one of the best HBs in football. We have a dynamic weapon in Austin. And we might have talent on the OL. It's too early to tell. This is a FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR more talented team than what Fisher inherited. It's a team with enough talent to be in the playoffs.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Hudson syndrome is spreading on this board.
[av]http://www.moviesoundclips.net/movies1/aliens/gameover.mp3[/av]
200.gif

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Austin Davis was not the answer. But I agree better choices were available in 2014 and much better options were better in 2015. Fisher had a plan and his plan failed. He spent the majority of the draft capital on defense and used free agents on the OLine. He also chose to stick it out with Bradford which is hard to fault but after the first ACL was a very questionable call. Especially to not provide a decent young backup. There are always guys like Weeden and Gabbert and Cassel available which will be as good as Clemens, Davis and Hill. He's handled the defense great. His bungling of the offense alone should cost him his job.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Fisher's a good head coach, IMO.
Like most, if not every coach, Fisher just needs to get the QB position solved.

FRO

Legend
Here is my main problem with Fisher coached teams, we win against good teams, then lay eggs against teams we should beat. We should have beat the Redskins and the Bears. You have to win the winnable games on the schedule. If it's a tough divisional opponent then we for the most part play them tough and win a fair number of games.

I'm ok with letting Fisher finish out his contract. That being said if I were the decision maker I would move on from him. He got 4 years to get it right and the offense is no better in game one against Detroit in 2012 than it is right now. Some could say it's worse. It's a bottom line business and 4 losing seasons to 0 winning seasons isn't getting it done.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
In my mind he needs to make the playoffs this year, year 5 is to prove his consistency. I don't extend for 1 winning season or 1 playoff appearance. Cavat being a deep playoff run (Conf champ game or SB). If you keep him around for year 5, without requiring him to get to the playoffs this year how do you decide to keep him next year? Do you extend based upon say just making the playoffs 1 time in 5 years, what if they get WC game and lose it, so 1 and done, in year 5 then do you give him a 3 year extension (probably standard)? You give him 3 yr ext. and next year the team misses the playoff, or to a 8-8 or worse. But you are on the hook for 2 more years for a coach who has now made the playoffs 1 year out of 6....

In theory you really NEED him to make playoffs this year and year 5 would be the consistency proof...

I believe he gets through the end of the year, make playoffs stay, otherwise time to move on....