Schottey out as OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
One thing to keep in mind, is that this is Fisher's offense every bit as much as the next OC's. Ordinarily I wouldn't think for a minute that Fisher will relinquish control of the offensive philosophy any more than he would change up his defensive philosophy. But there was that whole "We're going to change our overall scheme" thing that he said, so....

Even if we kept the same basic scheme, I'd be fine with it as long as the playcalling and the use of players improved.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
See, I was waiting for someone to post this. Enough babying Sam at this point. If we can't count on him to be on the field, we shouldn't hire an OC with his "learning curve" in mind anymore. I would argue that Schotty may have been hired due to his offense being somewhat similar to the West Coast O that Shurmer coached. Maybe I am wring about that, and I would understand why Fisher would have made that move at that time. Now? Get an OC who's schee hopefully melds well with the talent we have aquired on offense. Sorry if that sounded like I was attacking your comment, I am just a little gun shy of planning specifically around Sam anymore. Love the kid, but don't trust his health.
No offense taken. Just making an observation about how/why Bradford's development has been nothing short of negligent up to this point. I, personally, don't have enough faith in the offense as a whole to learn a new system and make it work in one season. Bradford could maybe learn it, but that's only half of the job. His receivers and O-line have to be in sync with his pre-snap reads and post-snap adjustments. And that works both ways. The receivers could pick it up, but the QB may not be on the same page half the time. For any new *innovative* scheme to work, it has to involve a rookie QB that the offense is tailored to, or a veteran QB who's been through this shit before and just knows how to improvise and play.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
While, of course, we can never disprove the "Schotty was encouraged to look elsewhere rather than be fired" angle... there is one major problem with it. Why would Georgia have hired him unless they thought he was good?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I can't imagine the Rams losing any coach over money. Stan wouldn't allow that to happen,,, would he ?
Yeah, it's not even about money if you take what Les Snead had to say about it. It's apparently "the best move for him and his family."
Which begs the question, what was so disadvantageous about staying here? Hmmmm?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Well I guess it leaves me to say Thank you Schottey, I do wish you the very best in this new chapter of you and your family's life. You've given us some great wins - I hope that you make your next role the success that you want. I'm sure I can speak for all at the home of ROD "We wish you well..."

oldramfan

bigramfan1966
This is one of those things where Jeff Fisher didn't want to fire the guy so instead he "finds" another opportunity. Don't care how he left as long as he did.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't think anyone is *terrified* about a new system in as much as we KNOW how those things don't typically take hold in one season. There are outliers where teams have picked it up and done well, but how often does it sustain? Take Martz off of the Rams and their HOF talent, and what do you get? You get his stint with the Lions and 49ers. He didn't suddenly become a bad teacher, did he? Not at all. The talent he had to work with dropped off considerably though. Teachers can only teach. From there it gets handed off to the players for execution.

Agreed to a point, but that has not been the case with some OC swaps of recent. Baltimore jettisoned Cameron mid season, and Caldwell took them to a SB title. There are other examples, such as the ones listed above, but I get your point. I think maybe Fisher is changing more than we understand quite yet.

RamBill

Legend
Brian Schottenheimer to Georgia
By Edward Aschoff
ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/college-football...r-offensive-coordinator?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Georgia's search for its new offensive coordinator ended Wednesday, as coach Mark Richt announced the hire of veteran NFL coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

Schottenheirmer, who spent the past three years serving as the offensive coordinator for the St. Louis Rams, replaces longtime offensive coordinator Mike Bobo, who took over as head coach at Colorado State on Dec. 22.

"I'm excited to have Brian join our coaching staff," Richt said in a statement through the school. "His NFL experience will be a perfect fit for how we like to play offensive football here at Georgia. He'll be excellent in developing our players in both the running and passing games, which will benefit them while they are at Georgia and for their future."

Schottenheimer, the son of longtime NFL coach Marty Schottenheimer, will also coach Georgia's quarterbacks.

Before his three seasons with the Rams, Brian Schottenheimer was the offensive coordinator for the Jets (2006 to 2011) and the quarterbacks coach for the Chargers (2002-05) and Redskins (2001).

The Rams finished the regular season ranked 28th in total offense (314.7 yards per game) and 21st in scoring (20.3 points per game).

Schottenheimer doesn't have any coaching experience in the SEC, but he did transfer from Kansas to Florida, and he played for the Gators from 1994 to 1996. He graduated from Florida in 1997 with a degree in exercise and sports science.

"This is a great opportunity to become a Georgia Bulldog for both my career and my family," Schottenheimer said in a statement. "I'm thrilled to be part of an elite program with such national tradition and a great staff already in place. I look forward to working with young men and being a positive and significant influence on their lives as we develop them athletically, academically and socially."

Before moving to the NFL, the 41-year-old Schottenheimer was an assistant coach with USC and Syracuse.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I will wait and see who we replace him with before getting excited.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
FYI, we didn't part ways with Tim Walton until Jan. 30th so I say until it turns Feb we won't know how much job security Schottenheimer has. I think just like defense last year if we couldn't find a better candidate we would have kept Walton, but we found Williams. Now maybe we're seeing if their are any clear cut upgrades at OC over Schotty and if we aren't interested in any of the candidates we keep Schotty for next season. That's what I would do...
Barrison,Dec 30, 2014
Just saying... ;)

MrMotes

Starter
Well one thing's for sure: Brian Shottenheimer isn't the problem, anymore...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Even though Wagoner & Thomas are talking up internal promotions like Boras or Cignetti...Watch out for Browns QB Coach Dowell Loggains who coached with Fisher in Tennessee.
14164885-mmmain.jpg

By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group
Follow on Twitter

NEW YORK -- Former Titans offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains has been hired by the Browns as quarterbacks coach -- and maybe more -- a league source told cleveland.com.

Loggains 33, could also be in the mix for the offensive coordinator job depending on how that search plays out, a source said. The Browns also interviewed former Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan on Wednesday and Raiders quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo on Thursday for their coordinator vacancy, but weren't ready to hire either one on the spot.

One source said a coordinator hiring wasn't imminent and that it could stretch into next week. Conflicting reports circulated Thursday on how Shanahan's meeting with the Browns went. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported that it "didn't go as planned'' and that the club has moved on. But two sources told cleveland.com that he could still be in the mix and has been told he should know something by the middle of next week. Shanahan has already been passed over by the Dolphins and Ravens for their coordinator jobs this season.

The Browns might also decide to interview other candidates.

If Loggains remains quarterbacks coach, coach Mike Pettine -- who's never before worked with him -- will have filled two offensive positions without naming his coordinator. The Browns also hired former Bucs assistant Brian Angelichio as tight ends coach on Monday.

Loggains was on the Browns radar as quarterbacks coach or offensive coordinator even before Pettine was hired, and was identified as a candidate by cleveland.com following Pettine's introductory press conference.

He was one of the main reasons former Titans coach Mike Munchak, now Steelers offensive line coach, was fired after a 7-9 season. The Titans' front office insisted that Munchak fire Loggains and also install Greg Williams as his defensive coordinator, but Munchak, who later interviewed for the Browns head coaching vacancy, refused to make those moves.

According to nfl.com, the Titans felt Loggains became too pass-happy when the team was built for the power-running game. But Tennessee, which started 3-1, lost third-year starting quarterback Jake Locker to a foot injury in November, and struggled thereafter. The Titans were 4-2 in games in which Locker took a majority of the snaps. At one point, they lost of eight of 10 games.

They finished 22nd in offense in 2013, including 14th in rushing and 21st in passing. They also ranked 19th in points with 22.6 per game.

The Titans replaced Munchak with Ken Whisenhunt, who interviewed for the Browns job this year and was a finalist last year.

Loggains' hiring is a pivotal one, because he'll most likely have the task of coaching a big-name first-round quarterback such as Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles or Teddy Bridgewater.

Loggains spent the past six seasons with the Titans, including the 2013 season and the last five games of 2012 as coordinator. He was let go when Ken Whisenhunt was hired as Titans head coach.

Before being named coordinator, Loggains spent two-and-a-half seasons as quarterbacks/passing game coach. He's worked with a number of successful coordinators, including Asshole Face, Norm Chow, Mike Heimerdinger and former Browns coach Chris Palmer.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/cleveland_browns_hiring_former_1.html

In 2011, his first season with quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, Loggains helped him record the third highest passing total of his career. Locker, then a rookie, also threw four TDs and no interceptions in the final five games.

Prior to joining the Titans, Loggains was a scouting assistant with the Cowboys in 2005.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I have a hard time believing that Schotty left the Rams because he felt that being an OC at the University of Georgia was a better job/opportunity.

I'm not buying it.
A very wise man once told me that theres two reasons for everything: The one they tell you, and the real reason.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Agreed to a point, but that has not been the case with some OC swaps of recent. Baltimore jettisoned Cameron mid season, and Caldwell took them to a SB title. There are other examples, such as the ones listed above, but I get your point. I think maybe Fisher is changing more than we understand quite yet.
Yeah, we can do this all day too. Caldwell had some pretty bad luck with Indy once they had no QB, yeah? And Cameron has had success with SD and BAL in the past. Being a successful OC involves being in the right place at the right time with the right talent (most of the time). I've yet to see a successful OC without good players, a bit of luck, and lower than normal injuries. My only point as it pertains to Schotty has been the talent he's had to work with, coupled with the injuries to his key players. That's not the recipe for success, IMO. But like I said a week or so ago, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over this. I just hope the next guy can benefit from some good fortunes for once.

Alan

Legend
-X- with part of the story:
Just making an observation about how/why Bradford's development has been nothing short of negligent up to this point. I, personally, don't have enough faith in the offense as a whole to learn a new system and make it work in one season. Bradford could maybe learn it, but that's only half of the job. His receivers and O-line have to be in sync with his pre-snap reads and post-snap adjustments. And that works both ways. The receivers could pick it up, but the QB may not be on the same page half the time. For any new *innovative* scheme to work, it has to involve a rookie QB that the offense is tailored to, or a veteran QB who's been through this crap before and just knows how to improvise and play.
It's not like the QB (unless he's a new one), O-line, WRs, TEs and RBs would be starting from scratch. So many of the things that a rookie wouldn't know like recognizing a blitz to name just one of many, will not have to be relearned by the players we have regardless of differences in any offensive terminology and plays right? I think half the battle is already won with all our vets. Am I wrong in thinking that?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Maybe my memory isn't very good, but it seemed like he dumped Walton.

Doesn't matter anyway... Schottenheimer is gone now.

I just get this slimy feeling about how Fisher does things.... I'm having a very difficult time believing much of anything he says... remember the "wink" when discussing QBs?

Hope he gets someone that can actually create an effective offense and lets them do their job (ala Vermiel/Martz), rather than forcing his dull offnese on them.
I just don't get the idea that coaches should confide in the media and fans - that they should let everyone know their plans and the what they are going to do with personnel matters. They do pressers because they HAVE to - not because they want to or because they feel the need to discuss inner office issues. They choose statements toward a goal. They inevitably lean more toward trying to back the current staff member or player rather than divulge any real plan of action toward those persons.

My thought is that you are on the road to recovery if you have stopped believing what a coach says. :D