Schottey out as OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I have a hard time believing that Schotty left the Rams because he felt that being an OC at the University of Georgia was a better job/opportunity.

I'm not buying it.
I don't either.

Either the money is a HUGE upgrade, or...

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I have a hard time believing that Schotty left the Rams because he felt that being an OC at the University of Georgia was a better job/opportunity.

I'm not buying it.
It should be kept in mind that this new position will have job security for at least a few years. This whole regime's job security might be limited to this next year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If this is true, Fisher is gutless. Sorry.
Why? Because he somehow has to come out publically to appease a few fans? I have NEVER discussed the firing of an employee to anyone but a few friends and family or if a fellow employee needed to know some aspect of the firing. Class and maturity would dictate that Fish handles personnel in a private manner. The last thing I would want is for Fish to come out with a statement saying he fired Schotty. THAT would be gutless.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Why? Because he somehow has to come out publically to appease a few fans? I have NEVER discussed the firing of an employee to anyone but a few friends and family or if a fellow employee needed to know some aspect of the firing. Class and maturity would dictate that Fish handles personnel in a private manner. The last thing I would want is for Fish to come out with a statement saying he fired Schotty. THAT would be gutless.
He no longer works here.
That's all that needs to be said.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I'm not buying it.

I don't either.

Either the money is a HUGE upgrade, or...
It certainly doesn't pass the smell test. There has to be something more. And in light of Harblow's contract with Michigan, it could very well come with more money.

I find it interesting though that many have suggested Schotty is not a good teacher and that may very well be true. But he is now going to the college ranks where that will be a huge part of his job - way more so than in the Pros.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then why didn't he "entice" Walton to get another job last year?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I will say this... even though I'm of the personal opinion that the hate on him reached irrational levels then went beyond that, and because of that I stuck up for the guy (wouldn't be a Rams fan if I didn't find appeal in sticking up for an underdog), if the Rams' offense comes out next year and absolutely lights it up, I will happily eat crow on that.

I'd rather be wrong and have the Rams succeed than the opposite a thousand times out of a thousand.

Athos

Legend
Whelp, that explains the "change" in offensive philosophy.

He wasn't anything special, but I figured they may really keep him around if we keep Sam around. Must not have enough faith in Sam.

This may be a prelude to trading up for Winston/Mariota or somehow getting Cutler.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Another thing to consider is.... Maybe Schottenheimer might have felt he was stuck in the OC position w/o any chance of career movement because of the drab style of the Rams offense we run (3 yards and a spray of rubber.....), by moving back (to a high profile SEC OC) he could actually get traction on getting his own program....NFL or College......

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Then why didn't he "entice" Walton to get another job last year?
Simple. Very different circumstances. They decided to move in the obvious direction - with the DC they had originally slated for the position. He was able to not say anything negative against Walton while making the change. And I would add that we don't know that he didn't "entice" Walton. We also don't know that he DID "entice" Schotty. Still, we are at the same point. Regardless of what happened, Fish will address it without using the word fired and will couch it in a phrase that thanks (insert name here) for his service and dedication. He didn't scapegoat Walton and he won't scapegoat Schotty.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another thing to consider is.... Maybe Schottenheimer might have felt he was stuck in the OC position w/o any chance of career movement because of the drab style of the Rams offense we run (3 yards and a spray of rubber.....), by moving back (to a high profile SEC OC) he could actually get traction on getting his own program....NFL or College......
Except I think UGA is a ground and pound offense, just like Fisher likes.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Simple. Very different circumstances. They decided to move in the obvious direction - with the DC they had originally slated for the position. He was able to not say anything negative against Walton while making the change. And I would add that we don't know that he didn't "entice" Walton. We also don't know that he DID "entice" Schotty. Still, we are at the same point. Regardless of what happened, Fish will address it without using the word fired and will couch it in a phrase that thanks (insert name here) for his service and dedication. He didn't scapegoat Walton and he won't scapegoat Schotty.
Maybe my memory isn't very good, but it seemed like he dumped Walton.

Doesn't matter anyway... Schottenheimer is gone now.

I just get this slimy feeling about how Fisher does things.... I'm having a very difficult time believing much of anything he says... remember the "wink" when discussing QBs?

Hope he gets someone that can actually create an effective offense and lets them do their job (ala Vermiel/Martz), rather than forcing his dull offnese on them.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I just hope they find a suitable replacement that will help bring the offense to the next level. If they promote from within I'm not going to have much hope to he honest. I would like something different that is going to bring us the winning seasons we friggin deserve.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
One thing to keep in mind, is that this is Fisher's offense every bit as much as the next OC's. Ordinarily I wouldn't think for a minute that Fisher will relinquish control of the offensive philosophy any more than he would change up his defensive philosophy. But there was that whole "We're going to change our overall scheme" thing that he said, so....
Exactly man, I said I was hoping this is what he meant by that line. I felt like that was the writing on the wall for Schotty, now we just have to have hope that we make the right hire. Just like when we went from Tim Walton to Gregg Williams.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
And then there's the other 500 lb gorilla in the room.
If Bradford is the starting QB next year, this will make his 4th OC in 6 years.
How ya like them Apples, Alex Sam Bradford?
See, I was waiting for someone to post this. Enough babying Sam at this point (if we keep him at all). If we can't count on him to be on the field, we shouldn't hire an OC with his "learning curve" in mind anymore. I would argue that Schotty may have been hired due to his offense being somewhat similar to the West Coast O that Shurmer coached. Maybe I am wrong about that, and I would understand why Fisher would have made that move at that time. Now? Get an OC who's scheme hopefully melds well with the talent we have acquired on offense. Sorry if that sounded like I was attacking your comment, I am just a little gun shy of planning specifically around Sam anymore. Love the kid, but don't trust his health.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Can't say I'm sad to see him go. He was never the problem, but he sure as hell wasn't the solution either. Hope he lands on his feet though at Georgia, he seems like a real nice guy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
For the millionth time, and for anyone who is terrified with the thought of the Rams running a different system...

It's about having a great teacher at the OC position. Martz installed a massive playbook with significant changes in running the same plays from different formations in one offseason. Kelly went to Philly and installed his system which was radically different in one offseason with a playoff team as the result. Fish just needs to hire the right guy.

As to the system, I do hope he considers the Kelly/Ducks tree of offensive minds by interviewing Frost. I love the way they run the ball while they spread the defense out in the passing game. IMO that is the future of offensive football in the NFL.
I don't think anyone is *terrified* about a new system in as much as we KNOW how those things don't typically take hold in one season. There are outliers where teams have picked it up and done well, but how often does it sustain? Take Martz off of the Rams and their HOF talent, and what do you get? You get his stint with the Lions and 49ers. He didn't suddenly become a bad teacher, did he? Not at all. The talent he had to work with dropped off considerably though. Teachers can only teach. From there it gets handed off to the players for execution.