Round 6 Pick 206: Sam Rogers, FB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
STRENGTHS
A little ball of aggression. Able to play on all three downs. Has experience as ball carrier, pass catcher, pass protector and lead blocker. Can block from multiple sets and formations. Consistently productive for three consecutive years. Low center of gravity provides additional power as a runner. Carries good acceleration and knee bend to his target. Viable play-action pass catching fullback. Gives good effort as a blocker. Able to stuff and seal on down blocks from wingback spot.
You have to like this^^! I'm very pleased with this pick, the Rams can real use this man, if he plays up to his potential!!!(y);):D

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
I'll just say this about this kid......he will play up to his physical limitations every time he's on the field. He will block his ass off, give his best at all times, and get the most out of his God-given talent, and that is precisely what's been missing around here for too long. Sam won't be a superstar but his work effort will not go unnoticed by his teammates or anyone in this organization. If he does not make the team (I think he will), it won't be because lack of effort. Oh, and this guy will block, the other things he does is gravy......gotta love his blocking ability. After watching video of this kid.....yeah, he deserves a least a shot to play in this league.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I wrote during the draft conversation "where are the current Mike Alstotts?" Maybe he can become ours. I like his intensity and his bowling ball like stature. Should be fun to watch

RamInferno

UDFA
The Bills used a fullback in the run game under Kromer the last couple years and their run game was extremely effective. McVay spoke about how he and OL coach Callahan used to collaborate in Washington to integrate the pass and run games. My guess is Kromer wanted a fullback for the run game but in order to make it work with McVay's passing scheme the FB would need to be versatile enough to catch the occasional pass and not be dead-weight on passing downs. Thus the Rogers pick was born.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
The Bills used a fullback in the run game under Kromer the last couple years and their run game was extremely effective. McVay spoke about how he and OL coach Callahan used to collaborate in Washington to integrate the pass and run games. My guess is Kromer wanted a fullback for the run game but in order to make it work with McVay's passing scheme the FB would need to be versatile enough to catch the occasional pass and not be dead-weight on passing downs. Thus the Rogers pick was born.

He'll be great in running out of the I- formation but he'll also be very useful on play action. He is a very good pass blocker who can stay in the pocket and absorb the blitz or he can run check-down routes out of the backfield. I really like that because it keeps the defense from playing run every time he's on the field. Fullbacks are too underrated in my eyes. The versatile ones can really contribute to a balanced offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
5'10 and 231 pounds is a bowling ball dude.

Yeah man, here's a good pic of his body type:

575426e28a571c393a54059a04cc5b15.jpg

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Okay maybe so, but FWIW's the Redskins did not have a FB on their roster while they were running McVay's system...Now maybe he will fill the HB role, howeveer, McVay usually has a two TE set on the LOS and thus the reason for my surprise, in fact, I posted that I thought Harkey was in trouble before the draft because of scheme.

I think they were running Gruden' s system. He was the head coach. Who says McVay did what he wanted to do completely? I am sure he has some differing views on what he wants to do and he inherited some personal that will tweak his scheme, like a rookie QB and a franchise RB.

I could see him trying to start out with a pound the rock & play action scheme until Goff gets more comfortable. That would take pressure off of him and then he starts to open things up more like they did in Washington as he continues to grow as a QB.

So maybe thats why he wants a FB to compliment Gurley and to be a safety blanket for Goff as both a blocker and receiver out of the backfield.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Could be, but I wouldn't under-rate Harkey's skill-set as our only real veteran at the position. Pretty sure we'll carry 4 TE's this season, and Rogers is more likely to be listed with the RB's imo. Fisher underutilized Harkey last season as a FB, although any new assignments, if he gets them, may be more along the lines of a traditional blocking TE, as he'd be the only one with this proven skill. jmo.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

The nice thing about McVay is he has a deep understanding of offensive strategy and positional usage. He doesn't have to run "the Redskin offense." There will be many similarities of course, but I expect him to adjust it since it's his show.

Also, this is the NFC West, with a lot of really good front sevens. It's not a bad idea to have a fullback for TG, particularly when the roots of this particular offense made enormous usage of the FB position. Harkey's got a huge fight on his hands with this dude.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Now I could questioning an offensive pick by Fisher in terms of how effective they would use a guy, but none of us can question someone like McVay as to whether he knows what he is doing on offense and what his plans are before they have taken the field here with him as the HC. That would just be silly. Even at his young age, he has forgotten more about football than we know.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Okay maybe so, but FWIW's the Redskins did not have a FB on their roster while they were running McVay's system...Now maybe he will fill the HB role, howeveer, McVay usually has a two TE set on the LOS and thus the reason for my surprise, in fact, I posted that I thought Harkey was in trouble before the draft because of scheme.
We have to keep in mind that Gruden probably had a lot of influence on what they ran. Also, maybe Gruden didn't want to give up a roster spot to a FB.
This is all Mcvays show now and i can't wait to see what he does with it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So maybe thats why he wants a FB to compliment Gurley and to be a safety blanket for Goff as both a blocker and receiver out of the backfield.

Very true and if it makes Todd Gurley better then mission accomplished.

Last edited: