Round 6 Pick 206: Sam Rogers, FB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
He looks like that fat kid from Sandlot all growd up.

giphy.gif

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
and you don't have an ounce of scouting ability... it's the 6th round. relax

Well, neither do you my Ram brother, however, I felt there were better options and expressed it. Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round, every pick counts.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I don't like him, WTH? did not need him at all.

Amazes me that so many know more about the offense McVay wants to run considering he has never had total say in any offense he was associated with.

If he feels he fits the scheme then I would think he fits the scheme. I would assume he will push Harkey. Maybe they want a more versatile blocking FB/HB, that can also contribute more on special teams.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
You are correct. Most of his best runs came with a lead blocker. Gurley fits a power running scheme more than zone running. He ran behind a fullback a lot in college and he excels at it. Look at his best run this year against the Bucs. All he needed was a lead blocker to give him a crease and then he's incredibly difficult to get to the ground.

Great point. They ran a lot of delayed handoff or just runs out of the shot gun. Made no sense to me. He was waiting for a 6 yd snap to get to the QB, then the QB has to stick it in gut, then Gurley has to start from a stand up position. With a struggling OL, that was suicide. Just gave the defense way too much time to penetrate the backfield.

Never made sense to me. Reminded me of DeMarco Murray in Philly 2 years ago. Just did not fit his downhill style. McVay saw that, as anyone should have. So I expect Gurley will be back to being a downhill I formation runner at least part of the time, and I doubt we see nearly as many runs out of the shotgun.

Also tends to point to the reason why no OL were drafted. The scheme was unimaginitive and flat out sucked, and it hurt the performance of the OL, RB, and QB positions.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I wrote on another thread that Todd Gurley was very successful running out of the I formation in college.

Plus you have to note that Harkey has not flashed that much for the last couple of years.

I've never been a big fan of the hybrid tight end/fullback position.

Nothing more I love to see than a fullback you just lives to plow over a linebacker at the second level.

A good old-fashioned slobberknocker fullback sets the tone, helps the RB pick up extra yardage, loves to pound it between the tackles for a touchdown.

If Sam was their guy and they thought someone was going to take him in the seventh?

Grab him in the sixth.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
most 6th rounders end up never really producing and being cut. at the very least rogers will contribute on special teams. dont see the reason to make such a big fuss

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
most 6th rounders end up never really producing and being cut. at the very least rogers will contribute on special teams. dont see the reason to make such a big fuss
Correct he was rated by quite a few sites as the second or third best fullback available.

I always thought that fullback was a underrated position when done correctly and never really got the reasoning for why some teams were phasing it out.

I would be very surprised if he didn't make the team.

Any player rated second best at his position in the draft should be able to contribute regardless.

jap

Legend
Is this guy Steve Rogers' (aka Captain America's) little brother?

Zodi

Hall of Fame
After watching more on this kid and hearing McVay gush about him a little bit, honestly Rogers might be my favorite pick in this draft. I got a feeling he and Gurley are going to be close.

Dude juked the hell out of Eli Apple.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This kid is a like a little Swiss Army knife

He was all over in that video ..WR FB RB .. shit even threw the ball

Kids seems like a football player And after our "potential" picks over the last couple of years give me as many of those as you can

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If he feels he fits the scheme then I would think he fits the scheme. I would assume he will push Harkey. Maybe they want a more versatile blocking FB/HB, that can also contribute more on special teams.

Okay maybe so, but FWIW's the Redskins did not have a FB on their roster while they were running McVay's system...Now maybe he will fill the HB role, howeveer, McVay usually has a two TE set on the LOS and thus the reason for my surprise, in fact, I posted that I thought Harkey was in trouble before the draft because of scheme.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Perhaps McVay wanted a FB in Washington all along but was only the coordinator and didn't have the clout to have the GM go get him one. Perhaps McV sees a somewhat different offense here based on our personnel as opposed to what he had in wash. Perhaps this FB is more to McV than just a FB - maybe he is here as a RB and special team ace.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Perhaps McVay wanted a FB in Washington all along but was only the coordinator and didn't have the clout to have the GM go get him one. Perhaps McV sees a somewhat different offense here based on our personnel as opposed to what he had in wash. Perhaps this FB is more to McV than just a FB - maybe he is here as a RB and special team ace.

Perhaps.

:sneaky:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Okay maybe so, but FWIW's the Redskins did not have a FB on their roster while they were running McVay's system...Now maybe he will fill the HB role, howeveer, McVay usually has a two TE set on the LOS and thus the reason for my surprise, in fact, I posted that I thought Harkey was in trouble before the draft because of scheme.
This is finally ALL McVay's offense.

This was McVay's draft.

It was McVay wanted a fullback.

He makes the roster and they're going to have plays for him to run.

Don't forget he's a pass catching fullback.

You can run a lot of different plays out of the I formation.
Even out of off set formations.

Even if they drafted the guy to ram it four plays in a row from the 1-yard line, I like it.

McVay is a master at disguising the outcome of a play in its formation.

I am so looking forward to this new real offense.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I friggin' love this pick
Loving this draft more and more
Guys like Reynolds, Rogers, and Johnson are my type of players

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I am so looking forward to this new real offense.

Hey, I hope he's the second coming of Cullen Bryant who IMO was one the best FB's in Ram history, hell, I'll even purchase a Rogers jersey if he makes that much of an impact, I just thought maybe CB or OL there, but again All the Way with Sean McVay!

KOWALSKI

Rookie
no cb after round 4 was any good (maybe kazee).
you would just pick a corner or tackle, guard, center because...?
just get over it. rams never wanted to pick lamp. rams wanted engram (according to benjamin allbright) and plan b was everett no matter what.

to merogers looks better in catching the ball than blocking a defender.