Round 6 Pick 206: Sam Rogers, FB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Come on Coach.You gotta like him.He is a Ram now.

Hawkward.gif

Zero

Pro Bowler
Mercy, a no talent hack???? What else does he have to do, juggle flaming knives singing "proud to be an american"?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SlhGeR4zkk

love the music on this clip, he could be William Wallace's right hand man. Needs blue & white war paint.

*edit: #1 rated FB prospect, nice pick for round 6. Missed Madison Hedgecock when he left, one of my favorite Rams & so mad when he was shipped off to the NYG's, who used him very effectively IIRC. Haven't had an effective lead blocker since. FB's can be extremely versatile weapons out of the backfield, and can add that special "je ne sais quoi" to an offense like McVay's.

Wow.Color me impressed.
Love the music of my people.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Wow.Color me impressed.
Love the music of my people.
I think the Rams oughtta come out of the tunnel with blue & white Highlander warpaint -- hey, whaddya know, matches the new logo!!
I'm talkin' drums & bagpipes at half time too!!!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In one year...
"OROY Sam Rogers finished up his 1600 yard season, while former OROY RB Todd Gurley became a better blocker than anyone thought he could be. The many fans and experts thought Rogers a HUGE mistake in the 6th round, others take credfit..."

"I always had a feeling about Rogers... ~den-the-coach in 2018

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know anything about him except what I've read and seen here - but it seems to me that every 6th rounder has something or other wrong - or they would have been drafted sooner. Getting a guy with football instincts, a supercharged motor, versatility, AND good production in a solid program seems like a good deal at that spot in the draft. I'd rather the Rams have drafted a clear future hall of famer there - but I don't think any were available.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Welcome to the Rams Mr. Rogers!

fred-rogers-4715.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Seriously though, Hekk has gotta be stoked that there's a new ginger aboard!

WestCoastRam

Legend
PS. I thought I remember reading that a number of Gurley's good runs in 2015 were with a lead fullback... something the Rams did not use as much or at all last year.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
PS. I thought I remember reading that a number of Gurley's good runs in 2015 were with a lead fullback... something the Rams did not use as much or at all last year.

You are correct. Most of his best runs came with a lead blocker. Gurley fits a power running scheme more than zone running. He ran behind a fullback a lot in college and he excels at it. Look at his best run this year against the Bucs. All he needed was a lead blocker to give him a crease and then he's incredibly difficult to get to the ground.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
This. Dude. Is. Special.

Banging hard on the table that this kid may be our best pick of the draft outside of Kupp.

If Gurley blows past 1500 yards this season, it'll be so much because of Rogers. So not kidding.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
This. Dude. Is. Special.

Banging hard on the table that this kid may be our best pick of the draft outside of Kupp.

If Gurley blows past 1500 yards this season, it'll be so much because of Rogers. So not kidding.

Just watched again, you're right, so many great crease blocks. Plus pancake blocks, whaaaatt? had 4 in the video that I counted. Stood up Div 1 DE's. Plus the fake block on a WR & release to the seam for a nice 20+ yard catch. Warrior. Loving this pick.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
This dude is a baller. Glad we got him!

Reminds me a little of Danny Woodhead with way more power though.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Not sure if that's a good thing, but I will take your word for it, but I think he's too small at the next level.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
PFF on Rogers :

Round 6, pick No. 206 overall: Sam Rogers, FB, Virginia Tech

Sam Rogers is a versatile fullback who split snaps between receiver, tight end, halfback, and fullback. He earned a positive grade on 15.1 percent of his run-blocking snaps in 2016, the sixth-highest rate in this FB class. He also led the draft class with an 85.0 pass-protection grade. — Josh Liskiewitz, @PFF_Josh