Round 2 Pick 44: Gerald Everett, TE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I've been reading he's a third round talent and the Rams reached for him.
A raw basketball er uh football player - TE.
Ugh..... it's still early I know, and I hope I'm wrong, but this is starting to look worse than where we've been.....
It is a gutsy pick by McVay.

I'll give the boy genius the benefit of the doubt.

fearsomefour

Legend
He s what Brain Quick was suppose to become.

Everett is a natural ball catcher and athlete with an additude!
I hope youre right.
I remember reading nearly the identical break down of Quick.
That, in and of itself, means nothing of course.

fearsomefour

Legend
Clearly McVay thinks Everett is the right guy and someone he can get up to speed.

The idea that these guys don't take the pick as seriously, as thoughtfully as we do is simply ridiculous
Yeah, its not like they don't have giant pay checks riding on it.....haha

Ram65

Legend
I hope youre right.
I remember reading nearly the identical break down of Quick.
That, in and of itself, means nothing of course.

Just look at all the Youtubes posted. The mental part and mind set are polar opposites. Everett has attitude that shows game in spades. Brain quick had none.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Ourlads

Two-year starter and transfer from Alabama-Birmingham after they dropped footy. From Lithonia, GA. An athletic multiple alignment receiver where the team doesn't have to change personnel. Has the speed to exploit linebacker match-ups. An H-back type who is effective on crossers, seams and bubble screens. Dependable and consistent hands snatching the ball in traffic. Good body control to adjust off target passes. Won't turn down an opportunity to crack back on safeties or linebackers. The smooth over has good body control and change of direction. Wins his share of 50/50 balls. Competitive. Has been productive the last two years for the Jaguars, catching 90 passes good for 1221 yards and 13 touchdowns. Started his career at Hutchinson Community College (KS) then transferred to UAB. Needs to elevate his skill as a route runner and as an inline blocker. Good effort in the run game as a downfield screen off typemblocker. Also stays in to mirror defensive ends in pass pro. A sub package contributor at this point but has the talent to give more. Small hands for a tight end. 2016 stats 49-717, 14.6 your, 4 TD. fourth/fifth round

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Just look at all the Youtubes posted. The mental part and mind set are polar opposites. Everett has attitude that shows game in spades. Brain quick had none.

Curious to hear about Everett's football IQ, Brian Quick was only smarter than Ray Ray Armstrong

Ram65

Legend
Curious to hear about Everett's football IQ, Brian Quick was only smarter than Ray Ray Armstrong

He is a bit raw as he was a basketball player. Has the catching instincts but, lacks the precision in route running. Got to think McVay and Snead looked into his football IQ or ability to grasp the concepts. Washington's Jordan Reed was a option QB which helped run the option routes in McVay's offense. Seems Everett is capable. Seems like he is just scratching the surface of his football abilties.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...rospects-wide-receivers-tight-ends/100718406/

4. GERALD EVERETT, South Alabama (6-3, 240, 4.59, 2): Will be the first draftee in program’s eight-year history. “He’s got some rarities post-catch,” said one scout. “Eric Ebron had a little bit of that out of North Carolina. I don’t know if he’ll ever be an in-line ‘Y’ guy but he is competitive. Does the search-and-seal stuff. He’s that big flex slot teams are looking for now. He can probably be a 250-pound guy. He’s lean but broad-shouldered and tapered. Looks the part.” More of a basketball player in Decatur, Ga.; didn’t play football until his senior year. “Smart kid (Wonderlic of 24), works hard but not a weight-room guy,” said another scout. “The only thing that holds me back is he’s got smallish hands (8 ½).” Finished with 107 catches for 1,584 (14.8) and 13 TDs. Played two years in junior college and behind ex-Packers TE Kennard Backman at Alabama-Birmingham in ’14 before transferring.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Gerald Everett would be a complete Bust under the previous regime.
But McVay and his staff know how to develop offensive talent.McVay knows
Tight End talent as well as any other position.If Everett has the desire
to be a top talent he will be.

I will trust in my HC until he give us reason not to.
Go Rams!
In McSnead I Trust !
Good post. I don't think the complete and utter lack of offensive coaching under Fisher can be overstated.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Welcome to Ramnation Gerald! No, didn't say "damnation." Ramnation! :D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is a bit raw as he was a basketball player. Has the catching instincts but, lacks the precision in route running. Got to think McVay and Snead looked into his football IQ or ability to grasp the concepts. Washington's Jordan Reed was a option QB which helped run the option routes in McVay's offense. Seems Everett is capable. Seems like he is just scratching the surface of his football abilties.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...rospects-wide-receivers-tight-ends/100718406/

4. GERALD EVERETT, South Alabama (6-3, 240, 4.59, 2): Will be the first draftee in program’s eight-year history. “He’s got some rarities post-catch,” said one scout. “Eric Ebron had a little bit of that out of North Carolina. I don’t know if he’ll ever be an in-line ‘Y’ guy but he is competitive. Does the search-and-seal stuff. He’s that big flex slot teams are looking for now. He can probably be a 250-pound guy. He’s lean but broad-shouldered and tapered. Looks the part.” More of a basketball player in Decatur, Ga.; didn’t play football until his senior year. “Smart kid (Wonderlic of 24), works hard but not a weight-room guy,” said another scout. “The only thing that holds me back is he’s got smallish hands (8 ½).” Finished with 107 catches for 1,584 (14.8) and 13 TDs. Played two years in junior college and behind ex-Packers TE Kennard Backman at Alabama-Birmingham in ’14 before transferring.

Good. We need intelligent players. Kupp is intelligent (37 on the Wonderlic). He'll be ready to play Day 1. Hopefully, Everett is ready to contribute fairly early on too.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
History makes me nervous drafting basketball players to play TE. Antonio Gates makes everyone hope they can draft his new version but it usually doesn't pan out in the NFL. But I really have no idea and I trust McVay's system so will reserve judgement. I like we at least got an extra 3rd if this was always who they wanted.

If any of the last couple coaches we had made this pick I'd be chugging my bottle of Jack right now. Hopefully McVay is different.

Julius Thomas is a great TE... he's a converted Basketball player...

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Asked if the player he had slotted for 37th overall was still on the board, Snead said: "To be honest, yes." ...

If he is their guy then he is their guy.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Good. We need intelligent players. Kupp is intelligent (37 on the Wonderlic). He'll be ready to play Day 1. Hopefully, Everett is ready to contribute fairly early on too.
I hope so as well.
Our TE group is incredibly inexperienced. We need Higbee to start off strong as well

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I rarely pass on a chance to attempt to hijack a thread with Brian Quick.
Brian Quick was actually Alshon Jeffrey in a common sense non Fisher alternate universe.

But I like to think of him as the Cordy Glenn who never was.

At least under McVay we immediately have a real Left Tackle finally.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shhhhhhh enough with the basketball hype! We all know the only guy a Rams TE who also played basketball can be compared to is Fendi! Don't kid yourselves!