Round 2 Pick 44: Gerald Everett, TE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Thanks to @StealYoGurley I watched some Youtube and was impressed. I came away with the label "power and balance" when I saw him get amazing YAC. He can be a tone setter the way he runs hard and punishes people trying to tackle him. Rams haven't really had a bruising receiver in like forever. Anything close to Gates would be an offensive weapon.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay is a Scout too?

This guy is good. :D
I mean it's not like he wouldn't be shown the tape and the reviews the scouts did on him and made that judgement. It's not like every other coach in the NFL wouldn't say the same type of thing.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Im a big fan of Everett but I thought hes a guy we could have gotten in the 3rd. Im gonna trust McVay on this pick because this has him written all over it. Hes the Engram consolation prize since hes pretty similiar.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Lets wait and see. Maybe they have OL help targeted later.

This coaching staff knows what they need better than any of us.

---begin fowarded info-------

STRENGTHS

Slick athlete with leftover wide receiver traits. Easy acceleration into routes and can blow by safeties who sit down looking for a route break for too long. Good acceleration off of plant foot in route breaks. Can create immediate separation. Carries play speed throughout routes. Cover linebackers are usually in for a rough day vs. Everett, who eats in the middle of the field and shows no fear. Maximizes arm length for wide catch radius. Hands look fairly natural as pass catcher. Adds to totals with yards after catch. Runs physically and with excellent balance. Rips his legs through arm-tackle attempts. Instinctive runner who sets up blocks on bubble screens. Alters stride length to elude diving tackle attempts. Able to work all three levels of the field. Blocks with anger and is prone to longer engagements than most blockers on perimeter. Put on a show, including game-winning touchdown, in upset of Mississippi State on the road.
WEAKNESSES
Route running doesn't appear to be high on his priority list. Routes are rounded, dull and lack urgency. Leans into most of his breaks. Talented cover safeties can jump his routes. Drifts on square-ins, allowing deep safeties a door into the play. Needs work on double moves. Could have issues playing through route redirection off line of scrimmage. Shows deceleration when locating ball on deep throws. Hands are small. Too many one-handed stab attempts on throws outside his frame limit ability to make the "wow" catches. Touchdown production lower than expected.
SOURCES TELL US
"He's got all the tools. He could end up being one of the top pass catching tight ends in the league. There is question about whether he can handle a full playbook, but I think that is overblown. Cut him loose and let him make a bunch of plays." -- AFC area scout
NFL COMPARISON
Quincy Enunwa
BOTTOM LINE
It's difficult to find a good comparison for Everett because his size and toughness are similar to Marshall's coming out, but his playing style resembles Delanie Walker at times. Everett has size, speed and tremendous run-after-catch potential, but it is his willingness and ability to block that separates him from other "matchup" tight ends. Route running is below average, but he should improve with NFL coaching. Everett has the talent to become a very good NFL starter with Pro Bowl potential if he puts it all together.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/gerald-everett?id=2557889

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok these comments about Fendi Onubun are silly. Fendi in his college career had 5 damned catches. Everett in his 3 years of playing averaged 36. Look into a player before you make judgement's.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I am going to let this sink in, sober up, watch tape, and then comment. If I do so now it will be very very ugly and filled with profanity.

fearsomefour

Legend
"He's got all the tools. He could end up being one of the top pass catching tight ends in the league. There is question about whether he can handle a full playbook, but I think that is overblown. Cut him loose and let him make a bunch of plays." -- AFC area scout

Good by Brian Quick.....hello Brian Quick

jjab360

Legend
Why can't just for once we draft a solid receiver who has had solid production against solid competition and isn't a freaking project?

Why does every draft pick we make at WR/TE have to be "raw" or "coached up"? Why draft yet another receiver with questionable hands and route running ability?

I hope McVay can work some magic here, but this is just flat out frustrating.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
This pick is very frustrating for me. He struggles with dropping passes and blocking. Sound familiar?

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Love this pick this guy is 10 times better than Kendrick's. tough SOB that's not afraid to mix it up in the middle fights for the ball makes people miss. Mcvay will turn this guy in to a all pro bank it

WestCoastRam

Legend
Seems like a scheme pick.... And if that's the direction we're going... looks like we need that deep threat WR at some point.

Poor man's Washington

Goff = Cousins
Woods = Garcon
Austin = Crowder
Everett = Reed
???? = Jackson?