Round 2 Pick 44: Gerald Everett, TE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
He is a bit raw as he was a basketball player. Has the catching instincts but, lacks the precision in route running. Got to think McVay and Snead looked into his football IQ or ability to grasp the concepts. Washington's Jordan Reed was a option QB which helped run the option routes in McVay's offense. Seems Everett is capable. Seems like he is just scratching the surface of his football abilties.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...rospects-wide-receivers-tight-ends/100718406/

4. GERALD EVERETT, South Alabama (6-3, 240, 4.59, 2): Will be the first draftee in program’s eight-year history. “He’s got some rarities post-catch,” said one scout. “Eric Ebron had a little bit of that out of North Carolina. I don’t know if he’ll ever be an in-line ‘Y’ guy but he is competitive. Does the search-and-seal stuff. He’s that big flex slot teams are looking for now. He can probably be a 250-pound guy. He’s lean but broad-shouldered and tapered. Looks the part.” More of a basketball player in Decatur, Ga.; didn’t play football until his senior year. “Smart kid (Wonderlic of 24), works hard but not a weight-room guy,” said another scout. “The only thing that holds me back is he’s got smallish hands (8 ½).” Finished with 107 catches for 1,584 (14.8) and 13 TDs. Played two years in junior college and behind ex-Packers TE Kennard Backman at Alabama-Birmingham in ’14 before transferring.

Great.....another project with "UPSIDE" (translate potential)- oh boy. :confused:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great.....another project with "UPSIDE" (translate potential)- oh boy. :confused:

Yea but keep in mind that we have an offensive-minded coach who came up coaching TEs. Jeff Fisher was a defensive-minded coach who came up coaching safeties. Our safety projects always seemed to pan out (McLeod, Alexander, McDonald...). I have confidence that McVay can do the same with offensive players like Everett.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Yea but keep in mind that we have an offensive-minded coach who came up coaching TEs. Jeff Fisher was a defensive-minded coach who came up coaching safeties. Our safety projects always seemed to pan out (McLeod, Alexander, McDonald...). I have confidence that McVay can do the same with offensive players like Everett.

I hope you are right.....

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
"Pro Football Focus compared South Alabama TE Gerald Everett to Los Angeles Chargers TE Antonio Gates.
"Everett, like Gates, is just exploding with athletic ability at 6-foot-4 and 240 pounds as he enters the draft, but his technique – both as a blocker and as a route-runner – needs to be polished up, likely due mostly to a lack of experience," writes the PFF analysis team. They refer to Everett as "one of the more raw tight ends in this class," but there is tremendous offensive potential to be tapped here. He could see love as early as Round 2 of the draft next week"

Psycho_X

Legend
Julius Thomas is a great TE... he's a converted Basketball player...

Hence the word "usually". It's always fun to compare to the all stars as we all hope that's what happens. I don't have a problem with the pick due to McVay's history with TEs but it still makes me plenty nervous.

Debacled

Starter
Athlete is not a synonym for not a good football player, the sooner people recognize that the better.

Being in the sports/fitness field the worst thing people can do is limit their kids to 1 sport. Just because the guy primarily played basketball prior to picking up football in HIGH SCHOOL should have no bearing on perceptions of his abilities on the football field. Hell tell me a prospect played hockey primarily in HS and I wouldn't care, the coaches out there will be quoted by reporters for eons to come, and it will all be the same responses. You can't coach athletic gifts. His balance is something special.

He has 3 years of college football experience, mind you at smaller schools but still.

Biggest concern? Small hands leading to drops and his blocking is suspect. Just because he doesn't have a name you've been hearing from ESPN and the likes for the past couple months doesn't make it a bad pick.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Super talented. Flashes pro bowl talent. Let's hope he is not Jared Cook pt2. With the dropsies.

If McVay had Jared Cook from the beginning, he would have been better in that regard. Maybe even inspired him to do more with his abilities.

Everett is already going to be better, I can just feel it!

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Again ... this is a pick that I just didn't do enough homework on. After watching some highlights and reading about him, he sounds like THE scheme fit for the Rams. Couple the fact that our new staff actually knows how to utilize the TE position, Higbee and Everett are going to be stars. Sounds like GE is also a bit better at blocking in space than the guy I wanted (Engram). Kupp, Woods and Everett will help Gurley out tremendously.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...2017-draft-picks-analysis-for-every-selection

Alden Gonzalez

Round 2, No. 44 overall: Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama

My take: The Rams traded down from 37th overall with the Bills in order to gain an additional third-round pick. This pick fills their biggest immediate need, especially when you consider just how crucial tight ends are for new coach Sean McVay. No team received more yards out of the tight end position than McVay's Redskins last season, and his hope is Everett develops into his new Jordan Reed.

Everett, at 6-foot-3 and 239 pounds, was a four-year starter who bounced around in college and didn't begin playing football until his senior year of high school. Over his past two years at South Alabama, he caught 90 passes for 1,292 yards and 12 touchdowns, being named All-Sun Belt Conference each season.

Everett brings speed, athleticism and ball skills that make him a mismatch against linebackers and safeties. He needs to improve as a blocker, but he can be an immediate weapon for franchise quarterback Jared Goff.

How he fits: Everett joins Tyler Higbee, a fourth-round pick last year, to give the Rams two young pass-catching tight ends who can line up on the outside. This position became a major need after the Rams cut ties with veteran Lance Kendricks earlier this offseason. Their three pass-catching tight ends -- Everett, Higbee and Temarrick Hemingway, a sixth-round pick last year -- have combined for 11 NFL receptions but will get a chance to prove themselves immediately.

The Rams have finished last in the NFL in yards each of the past two seasons. They need more talent at receiver, but Tavon Austin signed a long-term extension last year, Robert Woods was signed in free agency, and Pharoh Cooper was a fourth-round pick in 2016.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0649768954134271494-4

No one got more out of tight ends last year than Sean McVay did with Washington. With Lance Kendricks released earlier this offseason, McVay needed another TE to pair with Tyler Higbee, a fourth-round pick from last season. Like Higbee, Everett has size, is a major threat in the passing game and needs to develop as a blocker. McVay hopes Everett is his new Jordan Reed.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0649778947445233543-4

TE Gerald Everett, the 44th overall pick, flew out to Los Angeles for a top-30 visit and for a private workout with the Rams, meeting Jared Goff along the way. On what he brings, Everett told local reporters, "I think I bring the complete package of a tight end. Definitely a vertical threat, but also being a willing blocker in the run game. And just being able to create that mismatch at any point in time in the game."

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
What I noticed was how sudden he is changing directions. Also seems to have great lower body power and control. He definitely moves like a WR. He really has the hips and legs that make him similar to Reed. I'm intrigued by this guy, I just wonder who the inline blocker will be? I guess Harkey at the moment.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I noticed was how sudden he is changing directions. Also seems to have great lower body power and control. He definitely moves like a WR. He really has the hips and legs that make him similar to Reed. I'm intrigued by this guy, I just wonder who the inline blocker will be? I guess Harkey at the moment.

Higbee. He spent most of last year blocking for us.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dang it jrry! I want to be mad about this pick but there you go making me like it!!
Haha

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Higbee. He spent most of last year blocking for us.

I hope he's been working on his tenacity and technique. I'm still cringing at how Michael Bennett was tossing him around him. To be fair, Bennett is a monster and one of the best DEs in the game.
I actually want to see more Hemingway blocking. He got good movement in a couple of short yardage running situations last preseason. Kinda shocked me how he walked his guy down the line. He looks thin, but he appears to have power and explosion.
People might throw chairs at me, but I'd still take Kittle with the last 4th rounder if he's on the board. Could turn that position over and have gold in 2 years. Cheap gold too.

Ants

Starter
Again ... this is a pick that I just didn't do enough homework on. After watching some highlights and reading about him, he sounds like THE scheme fit for the Rams.

I'm in the same boat - because I didn't really consider a TE if Engram was gone, I didn't pay much attention to the guys outside the "top 3".
But after watching some video, I thought, "this guy is as athletic as Engram"...in fact, he's about the same size, too.
He doesn't seem quite as smooth as Engram...but Engram doesn't strike me as being quite as tough as Everett.
In retrospect, I think it was a good pick. :yess:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dang it jrry! I want to be mad about this pick but there you go making me like it!!
Haha

Truthfully, even when I was in my pissy "I didn't get what I want" mode, I never doubted the Jordan Reed comparison for Everett. He plays just like Reed. I can see why McVay values him and believes he can bring that out of him. Everett catches the ball well, is an absolute pain in the ass to tackle, and is a great athlete for his size.