Round 2 Pick 44: Gerald Everett, TE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Every team had a least two picks before the Rams got their first. And they got a player who will most likely see a lot of player time and make some contributions

Guy reminds me of Shannon Sharpe when he came out

Ram65

Legend
I think this allows the Rams to run 2 TEs and Everett will eat up the middle and short routes, and Higbee will start going more vertical!

I think they will be interchangeable. Both will be able to run short or deeper routes. I would think Higbee should be ahead on blocking with a year in the Rams program. Everett will have to pick up the blocking but will be a better receiver.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why can't we be happy with the direction of the team and optimistic about the future but still disagree with one pick? Of course we're still rooting for that pick, but it's not too hard to see why we'd have our doubts.
Personally it is hard to see why the doubts. The guy was good in college and highly rated. He's being picked by what everybody here pretty much agrees is an offensive savant who coached the TE position. It's also nice that people are already appointing pro bowl status to Lamp but he's yet to earn that accolade just as Engram has yet to earn peoples hate.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'll be curious to hear why Lamp slid. Medical? There always seems to be one or two guys that slide a long way and it seems to be because of medical stuff none of us are privy to before draft.

TexasRam

Legend
Seems like a scheme pick.... And if that's the direction we're going... looks like we need that deep threat WR at some point.

Poor man's Washington

Goff = Cousins
Woods = Garcon
Austin = Crowder
Everett = Reed
???? = Jackson?

That's what I was thinking.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Name: Gerald Everett

School: South Alabama

Position: Tight end

Stat to know: Led all tight ends with 24 forced missed tackles in 2016, nine more than any other tight end. Also led in 2015 with 22.

What he does well:

Moves well for a guy his size, agile. Looks like a wide receiver with the ball in his hands.
Averaged 9.1 YAC/reception in each of the last two years.
No fear of contact over the middle.
Can drag a defender for extra yards.
Effectively changes speeds with the ball in his hands, nice short-area burst.
Going to be a legitimate mismatch against linebackers and safeties one-on-one.
Can line up all over the field, saw snaps inline, in the slot and out of the backfield.
Good balance.
Basketball instincts, uses body well to box out defenders at catch point.
14 deep targets last season ranked second among draft-eligible tight ends.
Good cut blocker.
Had an excellent week as a receiver during Senior Bowl practices.
Biggest concern:

Can get flat-footed in pass protection; susceptible to hesitation moves.
Can take poor angles as a blocker offline.
Struggles to locate assignment on pull blocks.
Rounds his routes.
Inconsistent hands, makes some spectacular catches in tight spaces but 9.26 drop rate last season needs to come down.
Weighed in at only 228 pounds at the Senior Bowl. Playing at the 240-pound range should help with his limitations in the run game.
Player comparison: Antonio Gates, Los Angeles Chargers

Everett may never reach Gates’ Hall of Fame status, but both players entered the NFL draft with limited football experience after growing up on the basketball court rather than the football field. Everett, like Gates, is just exploding with athletic ability at 6-foot-4 and 240 pounds as he enters the draft, but his technique – both as a blocker and as a route-runner – needs to be polished up, likely due mostly to a lack of experience.

Bottom line: Everett is big, athletic and elusive with the ball in his hands. He provides an impressive presence in the middle of the field and all his physical traits, along with his basketball instincts, make him capable of shielding defenders away at the catch point even when he doesn’t create a ton of separation. He needs to clean up his technique a bit, but he shows an obvious willingness to block and it’d be tough to find an instance on film where he shies away from contact. He’s one of the more raw tight ends in the class – maybe the most — but his physical tools are so great that with some good NFL coaching he has the chance to be one of the better tight ends in all of football.

giphy.gif

jjab360

Legend
Now that I've calmed down a bit, I could be okay with this pick.

It's just hard to remember that this isn't Jeff Fisher making this pick who hasn't coached up an offensive talent in his entire career, it's Sean McVay, the TE whisperer.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer this season. Strictly positivity on this end, it all comes down to the final product, OTA's and beyond what the Rams will have come game day. If this guy ends up being better than Handbricks or Cook I will be fine. Leave it up to McSnead.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I have no reaction. I hope he becomes a good TE for the Rams. I'm looking at the players and positions themselves themselves and not this "reach/value" or "raw" or other stupid mock drafter label.

Rams got a TE and looks like could be good player. To quote Takkarish McKinley: "C'MON MAN! LET'S GO MAN!!!!"

Gerald-Everett.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here is what I said about Everett in my last mock.

"I really like Engram and Everett, and I would be fine drafting either, but I give the slight edge to Everett. Both guys are elite athletes, but Everett is more physical as a blocker, more physical in contested situations, and more physical after the catch. Everett is an all around beast after the catch leading the TE position in broken tackles each of the last two seasons another area where Jordan Reed excels. When he played against higher level competition Everett excelled racking up 8 catches for 95 yards and the game winning TD against Mississippi State and 5 catches 103 yards and a touchdown against ranked at the time San Diego State. Is he a finished product? No, but neither was Jordan Reed who had a similar raw moldable skill set that McVay turned into a superstar. Early in his college career Reed was a wild cat QB because of his ability with the ball in his hands. Everett who has similar ability with the ball in his hands also played wild cat QB the past 2 years in addition to his TE duties. Could probably trade down a little and still get Everett, something I think is likely, but I am not projecting trades in this mock, so I'll just get my guy here."

I agree with you that Everett (not Engram) is the guy who compares to Reed. I'm still disappointed.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I love the player, scouted and drafted him in the ROD mock. I thought maybe he could have been had a little further down the board but who knows?
Athletic, physical, elusive pass catching big target who isn't much of a blocker inline at this point.

I also like the trade down for the extra 3rd.

Psycho_X

Legend
History makes me nervous drafting basketball players to play TE. Antonio Gates makes everyone hope they can draft his new version but it usually doesn't pan out in the NFL. But I really have no idea and I trust McVay's system so will reserve judgement. I like we at least got an extra 3rd if this was always who they wanted.

If any of the last couple coaches we had made this pick I'd be chugging my bottle of Jack right now. Hopefully McVay is different.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Im a big fan of Everett but I thought hes a guy we could have gotten in the 3rd. Im gonna trust McVay on this pick because this has him written all over it. Hes the Engram consolation prize since hes pretty similiar.

I've been reading he's a third round talent and the Rams reached for him.
A raw basketball er uh football player - TE.
Ugh..... it's still early I know, and I hope I'm wrong, but this is starting to look worse than where we've been.....

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
A raw one year starter at a smaller school with physical traits.......in the second round.
With tons of "UPSIDE"..... with some doubts that he's smart enough to grasp an NFL playbook.
Ugh....I hope we didn't just redraft Quick.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Gerald Everett would be a complete Bust under the previous regime.
But McVay and his staff know how to develop offensive talent.McVay knows
Tight End talent as well as any other position.If Everett has the desire
to be a top talent he will be.

I will trust in my HC until he give us reason not to.
Go Rams!
In McSnead I Trust !