Round 2 Pick 44: Gerald Everett, TE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Another athlete...with upside...and I read SO many of you didn't want another guy like that...Plus, some have said they remind them of Quick...I should pull for him then...I need to see him play...vs PRO's.

The idea that these guys don't take the pick as seriously, as thoughtfully as we do is simply ridiculous
Perhaps they don't KNOW what they're looking for? Perhaps their idea of seriousness includes taking picks on potential...Perhaps some have NEVER played the game...played with elite athletes...or watched as much football as others. There are many reasons why people SEE different things in players. It usually comes down to experience & wisdom....which takes time...and dedication. We should always be a little concerned when a guy is select HIGHER than almost every other media outlet has subscribed too...Everett was expected to go around the 4th....we take him in the 2nd.

Julius Thomas is a great TE... he's a converted Basketball player...
Julius Thomas isn't great...He's injury prone...And his best season ever was with a HOF QB. I get what you are saying....but B-Ball players are known for being soft...He's of this ilk....I hope Everett is tougher than him.

He has 3 years of college football experience, mind you at smaller schools but still.

Biggest concern? Small hands leading to drops and his blocking is suspect.
Small hands is a problem...we'll see. The competition should explain why he has such a large yac number. And people keep throwing that out as a strength....his run after the catch ability...but he's not playing against any future pros.

I'd still take Kittle with the last 4th rounder if he's on the board.
I would have selected Kittle B4 Everett....there is no way he blocks as good as Kittle. 2 TE's would be overkill 46...

Ram65

Legend
Great.....another project with "UPSIDE" (translate potential)- oh boy. :confused:

Did you watch any of his YouTubes. He is not a project. He has had solid production in college. He needs better and more coaching. As jrry stated that is what McVay does.

Everett, at 6-foot-3 and 239 pounds, was a four-year starter who bounced around in college and didn't begin playing football until his senior year of high school. Over his past two years at South Alabama, he caught 90 passes for 1,292 yards and 12 touchdowns, being named All-Sun Belt Conference each season.

I didn't realise he was 239 Lbs when watching his video. They say he can get up to 250 Lbs easily on his 6'3" frame. He very good already. He has potential to be the next Antonio Gates or better. I'm in

lockdnram21

Legend
Seems like a scheme pick.... And if that's the direction we're going... looks like we need that deep threat WR at some point.

Poor man's Washington

Goff = Cousins
Woods = Garcon
Austin = Crowder
Everett = Reed
???? = Jackson?
Austin is Jackson and Kupp is Crowder

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Truthfully, even when I was in my pissy "I didn't get what I want" mode, I never doubted the Jordan Reed comparison for Everett. He plays just like Reed. I can see why McVay values him and believes he can bring that out of him. Everett catches the ball well, is an absolute pain in the ass to tackle, and is a great athlete for his size.

Now the questions looms, would you rather have Lamp & Kupp over Everett, Kupp & Johnson.? BTW IMHO, the Chargers are having an outstanding draft IMHO.

Ram65

Legend
Perhaps they don't KNOW what they're looking for? Perhaps their idea of seriousness includes taking picks on potential...Perhaps some have NEVER played the game...played with elite athletes...or watched as much football as others. There are many reasons why people SEE different things in players. It usually comes down to experience & wisdom....which takes time...and dedication. We should always be a little concerned when a guy is select HIGHER than almost every other media outlet has subscribed too...Everett was expected to go around the 4th....we take him in the 2nd.

What are you reading Champ?

Walters Rd 2-3 rated 3rd TE ahead of Engram
http://walterfootball.com/draft2017TE.php

NFL.com Rd 2
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/gerald-everett?id=2557889

Draft Scout 2-3 5th rated TE
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1007786&draftyear=2017&genpos=TE

CBS Sports 2-3 rated 5th TE
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/TE

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now the questions looms, would you rather have Lamp & Kupp over Everett, Kupp & Johnson.? BTW IMHO, the Chargers are having an outstanding draft IMHO.

I think you know the answer. But I'm not going to complain about what we have.

The Rams likely don't value George Kittle like I do.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler

I don't know where you are getting your info, but most had Everett in round 2-3 not round 4. I don't care what the draft nicks think they are often wrong and have less information. I think a head coach who turned Jordan reed into one of the premiere TEs in the NFL knows what he is looking for. According to Peter Schrager who seems plugged in with the Rams and called the Kupp pick before it happened the Rams had Everett ranked as high as OJ Howard. Ill trust their judgement when they are not only watching film, but also working players out and getting way more information on players than so called draft experts.

Small hands is a problem...we'll see. The competition should explain why he has such a large yac number. And people keep throwing that out as a strength....his run after the catch ability...but he's not playing against any future pros.

Over the past 2 years he lit up San Diego state twice a program that has been ranked over the pat 2 years. He lit up Mississippi State and had caught the game winning touchdown with time winding down. Had a contested catch touch down against NC State. Bottom line is he has performed at a high level when he faced a higher level of competition. By all accounts he also performed well at the senior bowl. Watch his tape his YAC numbers aren't simply based on the level of competition, that is a gross oversimplification. On tape it clear he has quickness, power, balance, and great instincts with the ball in his hands for a guy his size.

Julius Thomas isn't great...He's injury prone...And his best season ever was with a HOF QB. I get what you are saying....but B-Ball players are known for being soft...He's of this ilk....I hope Everett is tougher than him.

Him being a basketball player is overblown. He said he played football his whole life but focussed on basketball and track his first two years of high school. Taking 2 years off in high school doesn't deserve the basketball player playing football characterization in my book. On tape I don't see soft at all he is physical, aggressive, fearless over the middle, and a willing blocker one of the reasons I liked him more than Engram who gives you nothing in that regard. Speaking of high school since you seem concerned about the level of competition Everett was considered an SEC talent coming out of high school in Georgia, but didn't have the grades to qualify.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I like the fact that they are adding size to guys that can play outside.

200 pounds and our 3, 240 ti 250 pound TEs.

It could cause some serious mismatches in the red zone.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
The question with him is going to be, with 8 1/2" hands, how consistently will he be able to hold onto the ball when he's got guys like Earl Thomas hitting him over the middle, rather than guys like... well, whoever plays safety for Presbyterian. If he can develop crazy good hand strength, that would be ideal.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What are you reading Champ?

I don't know where you are getting your info, but most had Everett in round 2-3 not round 4
I read alot...I'm a reader...So, I've seen all the ratings. I also see/saw who was still available when we grabbed Everett...Kupp...and that kid Johnson (oh geez am I getting a bad vibe from that selection.)

I'll grab a couple
http://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2017.asp

he's 69....interesting number

and this one
http://www.ourlads.com/nfl-draft/

where he's listed as the #8 TE...And I want you guys to know...I think TE was a need....but they take time to develop.

with the players still on the board when he was selected, it appears we could have gotten a better, more pro ready player. Not a "developmental project"...The same as a guy you dudes bash EVERY DAMN DAY, Brian Quick, but no one is questioning it...or even a lil curious. WHY? Is it because McVay is some magician? Reed was selected in the 4th round I believe...not because he was raw...ex-basketball player...or anything like that..I believe his main issue was his lack of traditional TE size...and some off the field stuff. I could be wrong...but taking developmental guys...this early...could definitely cause problems....talent problems. On a team trying to get better. See, that's the issue too...I think we have talent on the roster. I think these guys need attitude adjustments.

I'll be interested to see when Kittle & Butt get drafted.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I read alot...I'm a reader...So, I've seen all the ratings. I also see/saw who was still available when we grabbed Everett...Kupp...and that kid Johnson (oh geez am I getting a bad vibe from that selection.)

I'll grab a couple
http://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2017.asp

he's 69....interesting number

and this one
http://www.ourlads.com/nfl-draft/

where he's listed as the #8 TE...And I want you guys to know...I think TE was a need....but they take time to develop.

with the players still on the board when he was selected, it appears we could have gotten a better, more pro ready player. Not a "developmental project"...The same as a guy you dudes bash EVERY DAMN DAY, Brian Quick, but no one is questioning it...or even a lil curious. WHY? Is it because McVay is some magician? Reed was selected in the 4th round I believe...not because he was raw...ex-basketball player...or anything like that..I believe his main issue was his lack of traditional TE size...and some off the field stuff. I could be wrong...but taking developmental guys...this early...could definitely cause problems....talent problems. On a team trying to get better. See, that's the issue too...I think we have talent on the roster. I think these guys need attitude adjustments.

I'll be interested to see when Kittle & Butt get drafted.

69 is the top of the third.

the first I have seen the Ourlads site

Jordan Reed went in the third round. He is developmental guy who will contribute year 1. Quick wasn't going to contribute year one. Comparing him to Quick is just lazy. In terms of offensive weapons the position the Rams were targeting there wasn't a better offensive player IMO. Scout said Reed lacked traditional size look how that ended up. Maybe there was someone more pro ready. Talent problems? I dont see that at all he is one of the more talented offensive weapons in this draft.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
McVay is supposed to be a TE Guru, I trust him on this pick! It's His 1st pick ever as a HC, He will be remembered for it, for better or worse!

Memphis Ram

Legend
I didn't realise he was 239 Lbs when watching his video. They say he can get up to 250 Lbs easily on his 6'3" frame. He very good already. He has potential to be the next Antonio Gates or better. I'm in

Well, he showed up at the Senior Bowl at 227 lbs. from what I've read.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Maybe he's a tweener.

He's still a beast and a major matchup problem for Cornerbacks or even Safeties size wise.

We just got a lot more physical at the receiver position and the hands of our Receivers just improved by about 150%.

Let's run this guy out of the slot in camp and see how LaMarcus Joyner handles him. :D

Ram65

Legend

Thanks Memphis I'm in your thread that stated that. Don't know what he played at during the year. He could have lost weight during the year or lost weight to gain quickness for the senior bowl. He didn't lose speed or jumping power at the 239 combine weight. By all accounts he can put more weight on his frame.

upload_2017-4-30_13-17-48.jpeg

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Brian Quick has nothing to do with this situation so please don't curse these guys names by bringing him up. :D

The biggest difference I see between these receivers and the ones they just got rid of?

These guys want it.

Did you see Reynolds highlight tape?

When that ball is in the air there's no doubt in his mind who it belongs to.

That first highlight on one of the tapes where he catches the touchdown with the cornerback draped all over him before the ball gets there.
Reaches behind the guys back picks his pocket while simultaneously slamming him to the ground.

What!?!