Rodger Saffold

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, he gets nicked up, but he still played in 15 games this year.
He's also (probably) our best lineman, so I wouldn't cut him just yet.

That aside, I was addressing the sentiment that he should be cut simply because he made those comments.
And there were those sentiments.
In the end it's going to come down to what the next head coach thinks about him along with the next GM. Not many people on the OLine showed a lot this past season in my uneducated opinion to think any HC worth a damn is going to include them in their long term plans. A guy like Roger with an injury history and his very high price tag could fall either way. There really isn't a middle ground either the HC thinks he can be a leader on the line or he'll think the skill level and injury history isn't worth the cap hit. We'll see in the coming months.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When did he say he didn't think the team could win?
All he's saying (in effect) is, "Don't tell me ... show me."

When he refused to stand up like a man and put the responsibility on himself.

That was Rodger's chance to say, "Yea, this was a rough year. We didn't get the job done. We're going to let this motivate us. We're going into this off-season, we're going to get better, and we're going to come back next year and win. I'm going to do everything I can this off-season to make sure that next year is the year I finally see the playoffs."

Instead, he came off as completely defeated. And he put the onus on Goff. That doesn't sit well with me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Instead, he came off as completely defeated. And he put the onus on Goff. That doesn't sit well with me.
Yeah, I didn't see it that way. He didn't "put" anything on anybody.
Just sounded like someone who's tired of words.
And rightfully so.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I didn't see it that way. He didn't "put" anything on anybody.
Just sounded like someone who's tired of words.
And rightfully so.

Respectfully, I disagree. He put the onus on Goff to change "it." Nowhere in his statement did he talk about himself or how he'd help (unless we weren't given the full statement). And the statement does not read as optimistic at all. It reads as a guy who doubts his QB.

I don't like reading something like that from one of the most veteran guys on the team. I was already in favor of cutting him. This only adds fuel to that fire. Maybe he sees the writing on the wall?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Respectfully, I disagree. He put the onus on Goff to change "it."
Not really. He was quoting Goff himself.

“To me, after having this season, when he told everybody that he’s going to do whatever it takes to change it, let’s see how these next few months go, and we’ll see if he does. We’ll see if he does.”

I read that as, "You're going to change it? You? Well, let's see if you do."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not really. He was quoting Goff himself.

“To me, after having this season, when he told everybody that he’s going to do whatever it takes to change it, let’s see how these next few months go, and we’ll see if he does. We’ll see if he does.”

I read that as, "You're going to change it? You? Well, let's see if you do."

Yea, we're reading it the same way. And that's what disappoints me. Rather than supporting that message, he's undermining it. That especially bothers me when Goff's message was, "I promise we'll get it fixed. Everything in my heart and soul to get it fixed."

The message wasn't that Goff was going to fix it by himself. It was that he's gonna give everything to help get things fixed. Rodger is one of the most veteran guys on this team. He's the guy who should be standing up and saying, "I'm with Jared. We're going to give everything we have to get this team into contention." He certainly shouldn't be undermining Goff's message and attempt to take ownership of stopping the losing.

No, that's not what a leader and a winner does.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saffold's comments IMO follow along with guys like Chris Long, Lauranaitis and Jenkins. All of them cite the lack of leadership and desire to win among the team from top to bottom. Yet none of them as veterans and leaders were willing to do anything about it while here they'd just rather take shots at the team after they left or were cut. I'd have more respect for Saffold if he stood up and said he was going to join Goff in doing everything they could to change the culture of the team. Instead he took a shot at his QB he's supposed to protect.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yea, we're reading it the same way. And that's what disappoints me. Rather than supporting that message, he's undermining it. That especially bothers me when Goff's message was, "I promise we'll get it fixed. Everything in my heart and soul to get it fixed."

The message wasn't that Goff was going to fix it by himself. It was that he's gonna give everything to help get things fixed. Rodger is one of the most veteran guys on this team. He's the guy who should be standing up and saying, "I'm with Jared. We're going to give everything we have to get this team into contention." He certainly shouldn't be undermining Goff's message and attempt to take ownership of stopping the losing.

No, that's not what a leader and a winner does.
Alright then. I get you.
I just don't judge people on what they say after a completely lopsided loss.
Maybe he's just a jerk. But he's still one of our best linemen. Cut him when everyone else is better.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Alright then. I get you.
I just don't judge people on what they say after a completely lopsided loss.
Maybe he's just a jerk. But he's still one of our best linemen. Cut him when everyone else is better.

Problem is that every other OL on this team but Tim Barnes is on a rookie contract. Saffold isn't. He's simply not earning the money he's slated to make. I'd rather the Rams put that money to better use. Why pay Saffold that money when we can pay a little more and get Ronald Leary or Kevin Zeitler? Hell, we might even be able to get J.C. Tretter for an amount quite similar to what Saffold's cap hit is. Ultimately, cutting Saffold saves us over $4 million. We need to overhaul the OL anyways. That $4 million can be put to good use.

Saffold is a candidate to get cut because the other OLs cheap contracts make them worth taking into camp.(or in Greg's case, make him not able to be cut)

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I want to see Goff come in next year and ride the other offensive players asses when they fuck up. This team needs an offensive leader, that's not going to settle for subpar players who aren't going to give it their all on every play.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For what it's worth, he's also made some comments along these lines this season about Gurley. I've been taking most of em with a grain of salt, but it still makes me not like the guy.

Just go watch some of his pressers. It honestly seemed like he was a Keenum guy and was upset when Goff took over. There are probably some pretty jaded opinions on the team about the whole Goff thing this year. Gonna have to take some dedication and good play from Goff to get some teammates to buy in with him. I think he has the charisma to do it, he was just put in an awkward situation this year.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
From the same article.

http://www.vcstar.com/story/sports/...ed-goff-believes-rams-future-bright/96000816/

Defensive end William Hayes said Goff is light years ahead of where he was back in April when he went through his first workouts.

“I have seen him grow and that kid’s growth is going to be super sharp,” Hayes said. “He had a lot of growing pains this year. I think next year we will see how he reacts from it.

“In the next two years, next year, we won’t be having this discussion. He will be one of the best to play the game; that’s my opinion.”

---

I'm not saying we are over reacting to Saffold's comments, but I'm not sure we are seeing them in the right context.

FRO

Legend
I wonder how the players take to Goff. Wonder if they doubt him in the lockerroom with comments like that.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Remember when Joyner told Fisher (on Hard Knocks) that there are players who only care about what they're wearing and $...???

SafFOLD was tops on Joyner's list I'm sure.

I have a hard time even looking at that poser anymore.

FRO

Legend
Being in St Louis I didn't get to see every game. That being said, was Saffold that bad? The guy can play 4 out of the 5 line positions and he could probably play C as well. There's value in Saffold. With as many holes as the team has I don't think cutting him is the wisest thing to do.

How do we get 2013 Saffold back? That guy looked like an all pro. I wonder if he bulked up too much to play OG. Maybe he needs to play at a lighter weight.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Please.

If, a few months ago, Rodger expressed some concern about Case Keenum, everyone would have cheered his honesty.
He expresses a little skepticism about Goff's words, and now it's "cut his ass!"
If the oline performed in any sort of a decent matter, then sure I agree.
But lately watching the rams oline play resembles the Oline when Leo Farnsworth was playing QB for the Rams in practice. Hut..hut...hut... SACK, without even getting the ball snapped....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Being in St Louis I didn't get to see every game. That being said, was Saffold that bad? The guy can play 4 out of the 5 line positions and he could probably play C as well. There's value in Saffold. With as many holes as the team has I don't think cutting him is the wisest thing to do.

How do we get 2013 Saffold back? That guy looked like an all pro. I wonder if he bulked up too much to play OG. Maybe he needs to play at a lighter weight.

While I don't disagree, what I learned down the stretch... this roster needs to turn over.

The team needs to establish the mindset that everything is secondary to winning... and while that mentality must extend beyond the locker room, the team needs to address it everywhere.

That means moving past players who are focused elsewhere.

I don't know where Rodger is at by that measurement, but the new brass needs to be relentless with this in every decision they make.