Rodger Saffold

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
I wonder if he would generate any trade interest. He is softer than cotton, unwhelming at his job, and has a big mouth to top it off...

Ramrasta,

We can't trade him. He'd flunk the other team's physical. Remember three years ago when we thought he was a Raider?

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
You don't keep Saffold around. The man is the reason why you have OL depth.

Cut Saffold and go sign a couple legitimate starting OLs in FA.

You don't keep Saffold around. The man is the reason why you have OL depth.

Cut Saffold and go sign a couple legitimate starting OLs in FA.

Saffold, Britt and Quick are at the top of my "Addition by Subtraction List".

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
...and oh BTW Rog...you did your "best" to get Goff killed today with your turnstile technique.

Pack your :poop:, shut your pie hole and :gtfo:.

Probably wouldn't of gotten rolled up on and hurt in the first place if he didn't get bull rushed back into Goff.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
I want to see Goff come in next year and ride the other offensive players asses when they freak up. This team needs an offensive leader, that's not going to settle for subpar players who aren't going to give it their all on every play.

Exactly. Can you imagine what Tom Brady would say to his lineman if he was under as much pressure as Goff? I realize Brady has much more clout than Goff and Goff has to mind his Ps and Qs, being a rookie, but someone has to hold this line accountable and it certainly isn't the coaching staff.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
When he refused to stand up like a man and put the responsibility on himself.

That was Rodger's chance to say, "Yea, this was a rough year. We didn't get the job done. We're going to let this motivate us. We're going into this off-season, we're going to get better, and we're going to come back next year and win. I'm going to do everything I can this off-season to make sure that next year is the year I finally see the playoffs."

Instead, he came off as completely defeated. And he put the onus on Goff. That doesn't sit well with me.

The definition of a loser. It is always on someone else.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Exactly. Can you imagine what Tom Brady would say to his lineman if he was under as much pressure as Goff? I realize Brady has much more clout than Goff and Goff has to mind his Ps and Qs, being a rookie, but someone has to hold this line accountable and it certainly isn't the coaching staff.
I believe the coaching staff should as well, but I'm a proponent of veteran leadership. Those are the guys that light the fire in players on the field.
Goff isn't a seasoned vet, but he is the starting QB and he needs to be the leader of this team.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Rams OL Rodger Saffold, on Jared Goff's development: "To me, after having this season, when he told everybody that he's going to do whatever it takes to change it, let's see how these next few months go, and we'll see if he does. We'll see if he does."
Sounds like he's throwing down the gauntlet...Get better...And it should be easy...He should be able to put on 15 lbs of muscle and learn any new playbook and start right away. Simple, right?
Didn't some of you watch Hard Knocks? Goff made an interesting comment about joining a fight among players...How he wouldn't get near it...Who wants to play with a guy like that? Won't fight for his linemen that put their bodies on the line play after play....And Keenum agreed with him. This is only the stuff we see. Who knows what Goff does in the weight room, how he eats at the lunch table..How often he's in the film room? Accountability son...and real quotes.
Personally, I hate when a QB, in the face of pressure, early in the game, MISSES OPEN TARGETS. It's one way to slow a rush...make them pay. By hitting those passes, it makes it seem as if you at least prepared for some pressure...by missing those, it appears as if all you wanna do is save your hide.

regardless what we think of Saffold, this is an interesting quote...hope this isn't the feeling of many other players...they don't seem to respect Goff on some level...(leadership?)
You think he'd say this if others around him haven't spoken on it?

Goff does give off the vibe of a skinny kid who is in a bit over his head. At least to me. Maybe the players feel the same way and don't respect him for it.
Exactly...Imagine how many linemen are carrying 100 lbs or more of "extra" weight? And this kid act's like he can't pick up 15-20 lbs? Blames it on some enzyme (Jeff Fish school of excuses 101)...Committed to the cause much? Saffold just says, "show me".

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Blames it on some enzyme (Jeff Fish school of excuses 101)...Committed to the cause much?
He actually does have that. It showed up in his blood panels. It doesn't allow him to break down proteins like everyone else, which explains why - no matter how much he ate - he didn't gain any weight or get any stronger. When they corrected it through amino supplements and probiotics, he started gaining weight and getting stronger. Before the test, he could do a back deadlift of 330 pounds for five reps. After five weeks, that went up to 495 pounds for five reps, and he gained 15 pounds of mass.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Someone should be fired after the Raiders signed him and he failed the physical so they opted out and the Rams stepped up with that big contract for him. Just plain stupid.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BOtarEnjgIM/

6dac02332de44ffeab482898b95906e4.jpeg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What would be some real good reasons that would make Rodger Saffold remaining here for another season at the same salary he is due to make....

Its obvious to me that most of our members just want to move on from him at this time.. I have some of that in me too. But as I have stated before there are some serious issues facing this team in the OL over the next 6 months. And yes Saffold has not been a good solution as he was utilized the past 4 seasons.

Above my post here are some very good points mostly con but some few good pro Saffold. I have posted a lot thoughts on Saffold over the years & where he would come in handy on this OL. Most should recall that I was never in favor of Saffold remaining at OG but felt he might bring much more worth his salary playing OT other than @ OG. Boudreau maintaining him & starting RS @ OG the last few seasons was a bad decision IMO. Now water under the bridge.....

Before the start of the regular season I wanted RS to be our starting OT this season even with Havenstein not going on IR ...not so funny now on how that worked out .... fact is RS started the later part of this season at either OLT & ORT posts .. where he finished the season. I would bet if the Rams do part with RS that he would end up being signed for a good paid salary to be a starting OT for another NFL team in a very small period of time after his release.

Rams have several problem units on both sides of the ball but the OL would be top of my list of concerns. Other possible future 2017 OL starters are more problematic than RS. Truthfully the Rams have big money invested in only two OL'ers GRob & RS that's it. If the Rams retain both GR & RS the approx. Salary cap hit for both of them is around 13 million in 2017. That's a good sized chunk. Rams will have 10 other OL'ers under contract all for less that 9 million. All of us should agree that both GRob & RS are seriously overpaid to be our starters @ LT & LG posts.

I would sure hope that the Rams new HC can find two new starters for both those mentioned post outside GRob & RS. How can members here want to cut RS so fast but have no issues with GRob ?GRob is due 6.8 million & his performance is below that of RS. What's the reasoning behind that? RS can play factually four OL post well enough in game time situations but GRob has not shown he can play one post yet close to average NFL level? Enough on Grob but you see my point here.

Can you really cut bait on RS when our starting LT is in total "FAIL MODE" ? Who has been our relief LT since the beginning of the 2013 season??? Rodger Saffold so you now looking for a starting LT & solid swing OT? Yeah lets make it real complicated on resolving our issues @ LT in the off season by cutting Rodger Saffold sounds very wise too me.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can you really cut bait on RS when our starting LT is in total "FAIL MODE" ? Who has been our relief LT since the beginning of the 2013 season??? Rodger Saffold so you now looking for a starting LT & solid swing OT? Yeah lets make it real complicated on resolving our issues @ LT in the off season by cutting Rodger Saffold sounds very wise too me.

So what has happened the two times this year that Roger Saffold started at tackle? Oh right he's gotten hurt. So it sounds like a really wise move to me to rely on him to ever play tackle again because this year that happening wasn't the only time. I get it he's a warrior he's a tough guy fans love him because he's been here a while. I get it people hate GRob because for every good play he makes there are 4 or 5 bad plays he makes. But to go into the season and rely on Saffold to play a tackle with his track record? That's inviting us to need the same thing you're saying cutting him would do. Saffold has proven time and again that he cannot hold up to the demands physically of playing a tackle. Not to mention that we've tried to replace him before because he's not that good at the position. I get it we need a new LT I just cannot fathom a scenario where the solution to LT is Roger Saffold.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Saffold is on my list of players we need to get rid of. My "Addition by Su

Saffold, Britt and Quick are at the top of my "Addition by Subtraction List".

I agree with Saffold and Quick...Britt on the other hand is serviceable #2 WR who's had a 1000 yd year in the leagues 32nd ranked offense. Imagine what he could of done if we were middle of the pack offensively?

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I agree with Saffold and Quick...Britt on the other hand is serviceable #2 WR who's had a 1000 yd year in the leagues 32nd ranked offense. Imagine what he could of done if we were middle of the pack offensively?

I'd say damn near everyone is happy with Britt's play overall this year. The team can't get desperate and over pay him when he's 28 with some mileage on him and he's not a team leader type guy. He gives his all and I would like to have him back at the right price. I am concerned about his shoulder though and the way he plays. Sometimes he needs to know when a play is over and protect himself better IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So what has happened the two times this year that Roger Saffold started at tackle? Oh right he's gotten hurt. So it sounds like a really wise move to me to rely on him to ever play tackle again because this year that happening wasn't the only time. I get it he's a warrior he's a tough guy fans love him because he's been here a while. I get it people hate GRob because for every good play he makes there are 4 or 5 bad plays he makes. But to go into the season and rely on Saffold to play a tackle with his track record? That's inviting us to need the same thing you're saying cutting him would do. Saffold has proven time and again that he cannot hold up to the demands physically of playing a tackle. Not to mention that we've tried to replace him before because he's not that good at the position. I get it we need a new LT I just cannot fathom a scenario where the solution to LT is Roger Saffold.

Can't argue that Saffold does get banged up at times I have went off on that rant many times here...in games but he did start 15 games this season. There is only one Ram OL'ers who made it through all 16 games to start & he was injured bad earlier & that was Tim Barnes. So I look at those 15 starts in giving him some merit there. Yes Saffold did go down starting for GRob @ LT & broke his hand & had surgery & missed only one game due to it.... but Saffold also completed two other games as starting OT too. One should also recall that RS was injured in game 5 last season while playing OG...not OT he missed the rest of the season on IR.

Saffold's injury track record is bad but he has been injured playing all the four positions he plays on the OL so I do not see any relationship between OT or OG when it come to being injured...he just gets hurt no matter what position. However I will let his performances @ OT vs OG be up to the beholder...my eyes tell me RS is more effective OL'er playing OT. This is a fact Saffold has finished 3 of the last 4 seasons as a starter. RS has only been on the IR once during that time.

I never made the point that I was suggesting going into the season with Saffold as the solution to our LT problem but I am open to RS being one possible element to many possible elements to our solution @ LT. I have already made my point very clear over this last month that GRob would not be under my consideration to be our starter @ LT ever again unless there is an extreme emergency situation. IMO Saffold is our best LT on this team. That's not saying much.

In conclusion until we can sign some starting material @ LT's, I would think hard before I cut bait with Rodger Saffold. I do like the @jrry32 ideal of talking real hard to 35yr old UFA Andrew Whitworth & see if we could postpone his retirement for one season in 2017 to buy the Rams new HC some time to find or discover a new replacement for LT & the GRob problem.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't argue that Saffold does get banged up at times I have went off on that rant many times here...in games but he did start 15 games this season. There is only one Ram OL'ers who made it through all 16 games to start & he was injured bad earlier & that was Tim Barnes. So I look at those 15 starts in giving him some merit there. Yes Saffold did go down starting for GRob @ LT & broke his hand & had surgery & missed only one game due to it.... but Saffold also completed two other games as starting OT too. One should also recall that RS was injured in game 5 last season while playing OG...not OT he missed the rest of the season on IR.

Saffold's injury track record is bad but he has been injured playing all the four positions he plays on the OL so I do not see any relationship between OT or OG when it come to being injured...he just gets hurt no matter what position. However I will let his performances @ OT vs OG be up to the beholder...my eyes tell me RS is more effective OL'er playing OT. This is a fact Saffold has finished 3 of the last 4 seasons as a starter. RS has only been on the IR once during that time.

I never made the point that I was suggesting going into the season with Saffold as the solution to our LT problem but I am open to RS being one possible element to many possible elements to our solution @ LT. I have already made my point very clear over this last month that GRob would not be under my consideration to be our starter @ LT ever again unless there is an extreme emergency situation. IMO Saffold is our best LT on this team. That's not saying much.

In conclusion until we can sign some starting material @ LT's, I would think hard before I cut bait with Rodger Saffold. I do like the @jrry32 ideal of talking real hard to 35yr old UFA Andrew Whitworth & see if we could postpone his retirement for one season in 2017 to buy the Rams new HC some time to find or discover a new replacement for LT & the GRob problem.

I'd rather go into next year with Robinson at LT than Saffold. Because if Saffold is the LT, we both know Robinson will end up being the starter at some point in the year. Then, we'll end up paying Saffold around $6 million to spend his time with the trainers.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm not cutting Saffold because of any comments he's made. Just to be clear on that. He's declining and he's extremely fragile and unreliable.

Rambo

UDFA
There's another quote I think by Saffold weeks ago when Goff first started of him saying he thought it didnt make sense to start Goff coming off a win. It seemed to me then that there was probably a division on the team, and there are players that were for Keenum and arent totally behind Goff. Its probably due to him being the number one pick, having all that publicity, suppose to save the team etc... Theyre reacting against that, and for Keenum who they like. I think those kind of players need to be traded. And Keenum does too or youll have this same kind of thing carry over into next season.